Bush is a hero

Since: Nov 09

USA

#139567 Jul 24, 2012
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt Michele Bachmann enjoys this publicity. Like I said, politicians bow to media pressure and political correctness. There is a reason why McCain didn't get elected as Prez. He has been vociferously on the wrong side of too many issues.
Hear hear... I recall holding my nose as I pulled the lever for McCain, wishing it was Romney.

I really wanted Santorum, but this year, I wont have to hold my nose as tight, as I console myself, knowing Romney is lightyears ahead of Obama.... This election will determine whether or not, we get to keep on being America...

USA

#139568 Jul 24, 2012
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>uh huh
Thats always yer response to such imformation... You will just go on pretending that McCain, Bush, Obama, Boehner and the others know more about Islam, than the Blind Sheik, Osama and other learned Islamicists.

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#139569 Jul 24, 2012
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
ho hum. Your so predictable and this does not in any way negate the claim that she needs to be vetted. If there is evidence of her familial ties then she needs to be vetted again. The world has changed since she first came into Hillary's hire. Now the Muslim Brotherhood is a big something.
I am so glad you and OKB both know about clearances. Does that mean that what I have said is untrue?
What you say is true as far as it goes, but doesn't validate what you say about Huma. It's not automatic, but on a case by case basis.

I wasn't trying to refute the claim that she needs to be vetted, or further vetted. I haven't seen any reason to suggest that she hasn't already undergone all that's necessary. I understand some people are saying she does, but they can't even convince people far more conservative and with access to far more information than I have, and political correctness does not explain their rejection of the notion, at least not to me.

I'm sorry about the earlier snarky uh-huh, but the information you provided about Walid Shoebat was not convincing in any way. Now, maybe that makes me blind, but I don't happen to think so.

How to deal with the Muslim Brotherhood going forward, now that they're governing or involved in governing Egypt, is a thorny question. The Brotherhood has ties to all kinds of mean nasty folks, and we can never lose sight of that. The problem is, they exist and we can't will them away.

I guess it depends on whether or not you believe in constructive engagement. Some people want to ignore them (which is the same thing as pretending we can will them away) or be openly confrontational. I don't think that will serve U.S. interests or the interests of our closest ally in the region.

USA

#139570 Jul 24, 2012
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>That and the unfortunate state of affairs left to the American people by Bush & Co. is exactly why the GOP endorsed him, since they desperately needed a fall guy. Enter Obama. Had the GOP won the election, there might no longer be a GOP, as popular support for its radical (and often bat-dung crazy) policies and candidates would have fizzled and died a natural death.
Mitt Robme?
Really?
I don't think the GOP wants to take this election either.
Heh heh heh....

Shove, I'll just file this one in the "wishful thinking" drawer.....:)

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#139571 Jul 24, 2012
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
Hah. Same thing goes for Lis & Roberta. Yer just too wrapped up in your own twisted paranoia to realize it.
Keep singing, bob. Maybe it will put me to sleep.......

But I wouldn't make any bets on it.

“On a sailing ship to nowhere”

Since: Jun 07

Colorado

#139572 Jul 24, 2012
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not a big fan of McCain but I think in 08 anyone on the right would have lost. The machine that raged against Bush for 8 years did get some traction and some fell for hope and change. But today, really? We've had huge change and not for the good. To my mind the saddest thing is Obama is not only just another long line of bad politicians but the wost Pres in my lifetime, perhaps worse than Nixon for some of the same reasons. And we call this guy an example for the young? Most of the time his words do not meet his actions. He speaks about how its wrong to bully and he like everything else does just what he says not to. His word is worthless and I pray he is not elected again.
I am not sure I agree with you there, Chris. I think McCain slit his throat with conservatives a long time ago with some of the stands he has taken and then with McCain Feingold. It was impossible for him to overcome his own record with Conservatives. With McCain the Reps just stayed home while the college students turned out in droves. The Dems had a 7% advantage in the last election. I don't think it is going to be that way this time. Take heart!

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#139573 Jul 24, 2012
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Even IF a person on the right wanted a theocracy it couldn't happen here.
But if that's true, why is the 'right' fulminating against Sharia Law? Theocracy can't happen here? What are you so worried about Muslims for then?

Huh?

Colorado

#139575 Jul 24, 2012
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>To security officials, certainly.
To the general public, I'm not sure. I can't say for certain that I knew of them then, but it's possible. I follow international relations, particularly the Middle East, pretty closely, and they were already known to be working against Mubarak in Egypt by then, among other things.
And from what I could tell from Obama and Mrs. Clinton, they were supportive of the overthrow of Mubarak by the Muslim Brotherhood. Now, knowing that they have all information at their fingertips, what do you think the view from the top was in 1996 when Clinton was also supporting the guy who wanted to overthrow secular Turkey?
I am thinking that the administrations (Clinton, Obama) were not too concerned about the Muslim Brotherhood and did not vet Huma on that basis.

Lafayette IN

#139576 Jul 24, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Look Willie, YOU inserted yerself into this thing, in post #139505, from out of the complete blue, no less. I didn't invite you, nor did I include you in any pevious posts. YOU stuck yer mouth in it, in an attempt to marginalize my response to the loon. I think yer short-term memory is either failing you, or yer even more partisan than I knew...
OKB tried to engage you on the Bachmann thing.

I replied with a satiric post (139505) paraphrasing what I thought your responses might be. The fact that you're not talking to him never even occurred to me.

I shouldn't have replied to #139515, and I apologize.

Lafayette IN

#139578 Jul 24, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats always yer response to such imformation... You will just go on pretending that McCain, Bush, Obama, Boehner and the others know more about Islam, than the Blind Sheik, Osama and other learned Islamicists.
This makes no sense.

I'm no more pretending than you are, Higgins. I just don't agree with you and Pern on this.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#139579 Jul 24, 2012
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>But if that's true, why is the 'right' fulminating against Sharia Law? Theocracy can't happen here? What are you so worried about Muslims for then?
Huh?
Because its not the same thing. This is way way over the head of this truck driver but I know enough to know that the small numbers in extreme Islam will use our system of freedoms against us.

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater and Honolulu

#139580 Jul 24, 2012
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure I agree with you there, Chris. I think McCain slit his throat with conservatives a long time ago with some of the stands he has taken and then with McCain Feingold. It was impossible for him to overcome his own record with Conservatives. With McCain the Reps just stayed home while the college students turned out in droves. The Dems had a 7% advantage in the last election. I don't think it is going to be that way this time. Take heart!
Hope so. I still don't get it. Obama goes on late night just like Clinton, he is cool so pay no mind to his policy postions. No doubt the bloom is off this rose now.

Colorado

#139581 Jul 24, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
Speaking of "short-term memory", wasn't there another case ofa leftwing loon attacking a church, before he was shot by a woman, who happened to have a CCW? If I'm not mistaken, that incident also took place in Colorado.
But ultimately, I believe commonsense will win out in this debate, because even as we speak, applications for CCP are way up in many US states, since that loon attacked the soft-target theater.
That incident did take place here. I don't remember his politics but he was bent on murdering Christians. The woman was a volunteer security guard.

AURORA, Colo.-- Background checks for people wanting to buy guns in Colorado jumped more than 41 percent after Friday morning's shooting at an Aurora movie theater, and firearms instructors say they're also seeing increased interest in the training required for a concealed-carry permit...
Between Friday and Sunday, the Colorado Bureau of Investigation approved background checks for 2,887 people who wanted to purchase a firearm -- a 43 percent increase over the previous Friday through Sunday and a 39 percent jump over those same days on the first weekend of July.
The biggest spike was on Friday, when there were 1,216 checks, a 43 percent increase over the average number for the previous two Fridays.
http://www.mercurynews.com/nation-world/ci_21...

Lafayette IN

#139582 Jul 24, 2012
Pernrider wrote:
<quoted text>
And from what I could tell from Obama and Mrs. Clinton, they were supportive of the overthrow of Mubarak by the Muslim Brotherhood. Now, knowing that they have all information at their fingertips, what do you think the view from the top was in 1996 when Clinton was also supporting the guy who wanted to overthrow secular Turkey?
I am thinking that the administrations (Clinton, Obama) were not too concerned about the Muslim Brotherhood and did not vet Huma on that basis.
You speak of Obama and Clinton as being "supportive of the overthrow of Mubarak", as if they had any other option.

That train was on its way into the station. We could stand in front of it and get run over, or we could stand on the platform and boo - but what good would that do?

I'm not even going to get into the Fethullah Gulen stuff, as what he actually did to get charged with 'inciting a revolution' is in considerable dispute - charges he was acquitted of in 2008 in a Turkish court, I might add.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#139583 Jul 24, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
So far, I have seen no evidence of violence in Tea Party rallies... Please advise me if yer more privy to any evidence to the contrary....
Otherwise, I agree with that, Willie, that "the attack was against a target with no political value discernible to a sane mind".

But OTOH, OWS has been doing irrational things, where their delusional rants leads them to physically attack seemingly apolitical targets. Thats why I was befuddled by the series of praises that Obama, Pelosi, Reid and other Democrats heaped on the OWS crowd. I guess you and I may not readily see the "political value", but Obama and company apparently does....

OWS protesters have also commited many felonies, including murder. They have deliberately targeted children, walking on the streets.... So I don't see why it would require such monumental leaping to imagine them shooting people in a theater.
I don't, either. So far, I haven't heard anything about Holmes to suggest that he is connected with any political movement at all. But any so-called political movement that would HARASS CHILDREN ON THE STREET is surely capable of just about anything. So as you say, it's not a monumental leap just to IMAGINE one of the OWS protesters shooting at strangers in a darkened, crowded theater, although I don't believe that's what happened in Aurora, CO.

I really wish ALL political parties, politicians, commentators, news analysts, whoever--would just plain keep their big mouths shut and not speculate on Holmes' political or religious views. His political and religious views, whatever they might happen to be, are irrelevant. He murdered 12 people and injured scores more. That's what matters here.

Mind you, I realize I'm not going to get my wish.

Colorado

#139584 Jul 24, 2012
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>You speak of Obama and Clinton as being "supportive of the overthrow of Mubarak", as if they had any other option.
That train was on its way into the station. We could stand in front of it and get run over, or we could stand on the platform and boo - but what good would that do?
I'm not even going to get into the Fethullah Gulen stuff, as what he actually did to get charged with 'inciting a revolution' is in considerable dispute - charges he was acquitted of in 2008 in a Turkish court, I might add.
Obama didn't just shrug his shoulders. He called for Mubarak to step down.
As for Gulen:

"In 1998, Gülen departed for the United States, reportedly to receive medical treatment for diabetes. However, his absence also enabled Gülen to escape questioning on his indictment in 2000 for allegedly promoting insurrection in Turkey in a series of secretly-recorded sermons. Since his voluntary exile, Gülen has resided on a large, rural estate in eastern Pennsylvania, together with about 100 followers, who guard him and tend to his needs. These servants are educated men who wear suits and ties and do not look like traditional Islamists in cloaks and turbans. They follow their hocaefendi's orders and even refrain from marrying until age fifty per his instructions. When they do marry, their spouses are expected to dress in the Islamic manner, as dictated by Gülen himself.[11] It is from his U.S. base that Gülen has built his fame and his transnational empire."

He is a subversive intent on taking moderate Muslim nations, or in Turkey's case, secular Muslim nations, as well as non Muslim nations and making them Muslim by a gradual shift. Who is running Turkey now? One of his followers.
and its not just Muslim nations he's interested in:

"suspicion about Gülen indoctrination has spread even to more permissive societies such as that of the Netherlands. In 2008, members of the Netherland's Christian Democrat, Labor, and Conservative parties agreed to cut several million euros in government funding for organizations affiliated with "the Turkish imam Fethullah Gülen" and to thoroughly investigate the activities of the Gülen group after Erik Jan Zürcher, director of the Amsterdam-based International Institute for Social History, and five former Gülen followers who had worked in Gülen's &#305;&#351;&#305; kevi told Dutch television that the Gülen community was moving step-by-step to topple the secular order."

Gulen is not a subversive and he has a very nice spread in Pennsylvania. Gotta love that.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#139585 Jul 24, 2012
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>Keep singing, bob. Maybe it will put me to sleep.......
But I wouldn't make any bets on it.
You ain't EVEN worth it, butch dog!

Location hidden

#139586 Jul 24, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For the most part I agree with this post. But I do take exception to the idea that a theater chain, with presumably a stable of lawyers couldn't have foreseen or in some way, better prepared for this massacre. This is an age, in the wake of VTEC and others. For crying out loud, they were physically located less than 20 miles from Columbine.

If the theater owners decided to allow guns, then it wouldn't be so difficult to assume the types of scenarios that might play out, as RG and others have alluded to. Likewise, in this scenario, where they banned guns in their establishment, they should have easily been able to respond to what played out, in light of whats taken place in the last 20 years....
I really doubt theater owners will begin typically allowing guns in their theaters. But I also think theater owners either have or soon will sit up and take notice of what this massacre means for them. I predict that within a year, two at the outside, most theaters will be equipped with metal detectors, like the ones airports and courts have, that you must pass through in order to get inside the theater.

Location hidden

#139588 Jul 24, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised to learn that a few theaters have had metal detectors for several years already.

Colorado

#139590 Jul 24, 2012
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>I really doubt theater owners will begin typically allowing guns in their theaters. But I also think theater owners either have or soon will sit up and take notice of what this massacre means for them. I predict that within a year, two at the outside, most theaters will be equipped with metal detectors, like the ones airports and courts have, that you must pass through in order to get inside the theater.
Not all theaters take the stand against conceal carry that this one did. A metal detector would not have worked with this guy. He brought his guns in the emergency door.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Buck Crick 854,943
9/11&bin 18 min REV CAROL 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 27 min I Am No One_ 444,346
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 44 min 2all 596,373
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 1 hr raj 277
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Justise League 100,751
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Mr Wiggley 1,013
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr truth 612,621
More from around the web