Bush is a hero

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#138787 Jul 18, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, Obama [has] reversed the law Clinton signed, that required evidence that welfare recipients were actively seeking employment.
Not really true.

States can (but do not have to) apply for waivers, the justification being that they can implement their own programs for getting people off the welfare rolls.

That is different, imo significantly different, than 'Obama reversing a law', but admittedly nowhere near as sexy.

I'm not defending the policy, btw. Some of its critics question the legality, and I think they may be right. It goes to a bigger question of Presidents, and Obama is not by any stretch of the imagination the first, using Executive Orders to bypass laws passed by Congress.

If you're going to talk about this, a little more accuracy and a lot less spin would go a long way toward a worthwhile discussion.

You can let loose the defend the indefensible now...I know you'.re dying to do that.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#138788 Jul 18, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that dudes been dead for at least 25 years now.... But at any rate, what does he have to do with me?
Because the phrase 'bolshevik' is about as relevant to contemporary politics as Rod Sterling is alive, Higgins.

Since: Nov 09

USA

#138789 Jul 18, 2012
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I realize Obama as Marxist is a very precious narrative for you, but there are light-years between what the President is talking about and the Soviet Union or Cuba.
Actually relevant to the comments Obama made were, just off the top of my head, the fight over funding the Erie Canal (approved by Congress, vetoed by Monroe,~1816), the political fights over the Internal Improvement Acts from roughly 1825-1850, funding/land grants for the transcontinental and other railroad infrastructure in the post Civil War era, and various and sundry things all the way up through the beginnings of the Interstate Highway System in the 1950s.
Interstate Highway System ... I forgot. That too was a communist plot, kind of a precursor to the whole Black UN Helicopter thing.
Eisenhower and his bolshevik pitchfork ...
Dude, thats a tangential lane I never envisioned... I can find more similarities in Obama's speeches and policies with Marx, than I could with Adam Smith or Jefferson....

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#138790 Jul 18, 2012
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
The 'killed her off' was industry jargon. When a character outliuves their value in a show, they find a way to remove/replace them. And, yes, Seven-of-Nine was far more interesting, and the limits that they put on her emotional responses kept her single, and The object of affection of many many trek fans. I think about ten million trekkies went through spontaneous puberty when she arrived. Though my fifteen year old son thinks she's a dog. His words,'She's got a great body, and a butt-ugly face.' He wondered why hollywood did that. And, I think everybody here is rolling his/her eyes at this conversation.
Beats the hell out of the 'what'd you mean by that willie' posts.
Voyager was the ass-kicking part of the whole 'Trek' franchise. They got into more fights than even captain quirk did, and did it with better style and innovation, too.

Yeah, they killed of Kes because she was killing the show. And, yes, there were Way too many 'Aww' moments with her as the focus.
I did like Neelix as the Quentin McHale type character.
Yes, Neelix had some pizzazz :)

How do you know that the reason Kes was written was because the character was killing the show? I'd really like to know.

Come to think of it, I'd also like to know why the young actor playing the youngest son on "THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY" was replaced, and why the character of Billie was replaced by Markie Post's character, Christine, on "NIGHT COURT." Any answers there?

Now, I already know why the first Darrin on "BEWITCHED" was replaced with the second one, so you don't have to bother with that :)

USA

#138791 Jul 18, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No, he didn't.
But then there was nobody here trying to make an issue out of it that called for a response.
I find it amusing tho' that you deny it was a cherry-picked smear in one response, then try to establish an equivalency in the next. Sound like somebody's a little confused.....;)
Nope, not confused at all. Besides that one statement that was twisted by the media and Obama-minions, the only thing dogging Romney are the the leftwing fabrications. But on the other hand, Obama is indicted by his own speeches and policies...

Location hidden

#138792 Jul 18, 2012
Correction: I should have said "How do you know that the reason Kes was written OUT was because the character was killing the show?"

Location hidden

#138793 Jul 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>At this point, what "kind" of capitalism would benefit the nation?
You said Obama is "quite the little capitalist." Whatever kind of capitalist Obama IS, the kind of capitalism that would benefit the nation is the kind he ISN'T.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#138794 Jul 18, 2012
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Now who said ANYthing about lying. Tap dancing around an issue is different than lying, all the best politicians do it.
As far as I'm concerned, you did - cutesy way of expressing it notwithstanding.

Location hidden

#138795 Jul 18, 2012
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I think you did leave relevant things out and I don't have to go look for what he said, I heard it. You can dress it up any way you like but he not only insulted business people but also those who didn't happen to succeed in business. "There are lots of smart people.....hard working people" but they don't all succeed. He is the one that clearly measures success by how much money people make. Sometimes businesses don't take off, is that someone else's fault, government's fault? It would seem to follow wouldn't it?
It sure would ;) BRILLIANT point, Lis :)

USA

#138796 Jul 18, 2012
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>
I gotta say, ya got me there. I'm wondering what your point is? The roads, bridges, and the Great Wall were commissioned by the respective governments, and built as often as not using forced labor.
So, obviously you're making an argument for government infrastructure investment. Right?
<quoted text>Do you think you guys will come up with anything that reaches out beyond the hard-core base before November?
Heh heh heh.... I understand that yer vested in advancing the "guvment is great", message, but yer missing the salient point, Hip. That being that Obama wants to attribute the success of American businesses to the roads and bridges. But I'm telling you that without the American exceptionalism, afforded by freedom and capitalism, we would be like any other nation, with roads and bridges, but not much else. If Obama gets his wish, then we would have to look to Washington for everything we need... Thats what ObamaTaxCare is all about.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#138797 Jul 18, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, thats a tangential lane I never envisioned... I can find more similarities in Obama's speeches and policies with Marx, than I could with Adam Smith or Jefferson....
I'm sure you didn't envision it, Higgins.

You're so damned busy trying to find Marxism in the pumpkin patch that you neglect to consider American history.

It amuses me no end that you'd invoke Jefferson, though. You ought to read what wealth inequality. The man Jefferson, if he were around today I'm sure you'd find him out in your imaginary pumpkin patch too.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#138798 Jul 18, 2012
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>You said Obama is "quite the little capitalist." Whatever kind of capitalist Obama IS, the kind of capitalism that would benefit the nation is the kind he ISN'T.
I don't think that such a radical paradigm shift is even possible. Obama is bowing the the mechanics of the system, not the other way around. No one man's personal views on capitalism are going to change the way it works in this country.

“Help Cecil Help!”

Lafayette IN

#138799 Jul 18, 2012
should have been 'You ought to read what he wrote about wealth inequality.'

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#138800 Jul 18, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh heh heh.... I understand that yer vested in advancing the "guvment is great", message, but yer missing the salient point, Hip. That being that Obama wants to attribute the success of American businesses to the roads and bridges. But I'm telling you that without the American exceptionalism, afforded by freedom and capitalism, we would be like any other nation, with roads and bridges, but not much else. If Obama gets his wish, then we would have to look to Washington for everything we need... Thats what ObamaTaxCare is all about.
A simple 'no' would have answered the question of whether the GOP will have anything for moderates before November......

Since: Jun 08

Location hidden

#138801 Jul 18, 2012
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
For someone who is supposed to be such an eloquent speaker, at the very least Obama missed the mark on this. let's give him the benefit of the doubt that he really meant the country gives people opportunity, he could have said America is like the fertile ground where anything can grow, or something like that. For a smart guy if he didn't mean it to sound like it did he could have figured out how to say it. So he's either not as smart as he's given credit for or he really meant it the way he said it. I opt for the second.

Location hidden

#138802 Jul 18, 2012
Rudyard Kiplingesque wrote:
<quoted text>
I never got the whole story on it. I was living in Los Angeles at the time, and was out of touch with my family for six months or so. I couldn't afford to call any way but collect. My dad asked me to limit my calls to emergencies only, and my mon was living on their fishing boat most of that year. So, When Gram died, I missed all the fireworks.
In 1986, Dad asked me and my new wife to attend church with him and his wife. I asked if they still went to bethel, only because I always felt uncomfortable in that place, and he said,'No. I hate that goddam place.' and told me everything that happened, with the exception of why they couldn't hold the funeral there. Again, I wasn't surprised by it.

We went to The Salvation Army that Sunday. Dad said we should go with them every sunday, and I declined. Told him I wasn't christian, and hadn't been since I got away from the mormons.
He said,'Well, come by for dinner, then.' So we did. Not every Sunday, of course, but took the invitation enough so he wouldn't be insulted. I mean, we lived eighteen miles away, and gas prices were a horrible $1.49 a gallon. Who could afford them prices at that time?
I'm sorry you were never able to learn the reason the church gave for not allowing the service there, but whatever they might have said--whether or not whatever reason they gave WAS their real reason or not--it was inadequate. I simply cannot imagine ANY good reason why a church would not allow a memorial service for one of its own long-time members to take place there.

Location hidden

#138803 Jul 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>I don't think that such a radical paradigm shift is even possible. Obama is bowing the the mechanics of the system, not the other way around. No one man's personal views on capitalism are going to change the way it works in this country.
Then what on earth was your point?

USA

#138804 Jul 18, 2012
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>What?
It takes some obvious contempt for the reader's mind to venture down that path. To take Obama's words and contort them in this fashion is borderline irrational.
Were you maybe out in the heat too much today?
Its interesting that yer attempting to diagnose my, er malady, as opposed to simply responding to what I say..... Weren't you the same guy who once complained about being psychoanalyzed by other posters here?

:)

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#138805 Jul 18, 2012
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>Then what on earth was your point?
Just that he is a capitalist, despite what he may say or what others say about him.

USA

#138806 Jul 18, 2012
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>At this point, what "kind" of capitalism would benefit the nation?
Pure venture capitalism is good, and has built America.... Not the crony-capitalism, that Obama loves so much....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min old_moose 36,176
How did black people get here ( economically) 32 min Doctor REALITY 60
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 47 min Michael 688,469
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr scienceanswersall 6,540
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr scienceanswersall 988,404
United 175 hit the south [email protected] 9 hr Doctor REALITY 2
What was the Vegas mass murderer's REAL problem? 9 hr Doctor REALITY 15
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 13 hr scienceanswersall 619,813
More from around the web