Bush is a hero

“What the hay”

Since: Mar 08

Florida

#82171 Aug 11, 2010
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>The conversation didn't take the turn you think it did.
Roberta compared the building of the mosque/Islamic community center near ground zero to a theoretical Klan memorial on the site of the Rosewood, Florida (1922) race riot.
Further comparison was made between al Qaeda's claim to represent/defend Islam and the Klan's claim to represent white people and/or Christianity.
There was no guilt involved, as the reference on all sides was historical.
It can happen, you know.
:)
I admit that I did not know of this Rosewood, Fl incident. My folks have been in Florida before it became a State in 1845 so thank you. I must admit the articles I just read on Rosewood had familiar Sur names.

I’m still not so impress I admit. The reason is that, one; my family was involved in a Hatfield and Mccoy war of their own were many more died.

And second, the battle of Mariana, Fl were as during the Civil war mostly Colored soldiers descended on the town and corralled the people and murdered them. Lucky for me my direct ancestors was in the Calvary during that one and escaped the overwhelming odds.

Par for the course I suppose.

Since: Nov 09

USA

#82172 Aug 11, 2010
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>That's odd.
Just the other day you were barfing up disinformation about it.
Look Willie, I don't ever begrudge anyone taking vacations. The only person I spoke of was about hillary's vacation. I also recanted of that criticism. Whenever I say anything about such things, its always only in the context of them (liberals)wanting to control what others do with their own money.

USA

#82173 Aug 11, 2010
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
This is a thought provoking post. I don't know if I am correct or not, but this line of reasoning could go towards explaing regulations (some, not all) as supporting free markets by limiting the excesses of capitalism.
The biggest ponzi-scheme ever known is Social Security, yet liberals support it. So I have no idea why this yellow person would attempt to associate ponzis with capitalism.

USA

#82174 Aug 11, 2010
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
DS, do you even bother to pay attention?
Remember the uproar over whether or not Pelosi recieved a briefing that included the use of torture? That briefing was given to the the two intel commiittee's (one Senate and one House) and to no other Represenatative or Senator.
Further, the CIA, FBI, DoD, NSA and other agencies all operate under the umbrella of the Executive Branch and as such generally clear material to be briefed to Congress with the Executive Branch.
That is why the Senate investigated the intel leading up to the war in Iraq. They did not know everything, particularly the quality of the intel.
If YOU were paying attention, you would know that it was proven that Pelosi was LYING......
yes

AOL

#82175 Aug 11, 2010
yes

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#82176 Aug 11, 2010
Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text>I admit that I did not know of this Rosewood, Fl incident. My folks have been in Florida before it became a State in 1845 so thank you. I must admit the articles I just read on Rosewood had familiar Sur names.
I’m still not so impress I admit. The reason is that, one; my family was involved in a Hatfield and Mccoy war of their own were many more died.
And second, the battle of Mariana, Fl were as during the Civil war mostly Colored soldiers descended on the town and corralled the people and murdered them. Lucky for me my direct ancestors was in the Calvary during that one and escaped the overwhelming odds.
Par for the course I suppose.
Rosewood is an ugly chapter in American history that was largely ignored for decades.

It is not the only ugly chapter in American history.

It means what it means - and what it means is not negated by 'yeah, well, they did this' or 'this happened then.'

When you 'go there', you go the same place as those who point to what happened at Rosewood as if it was happening today.

“What the hay”

Since: Mar 08

Florida

#82177 Aug 11, 2010
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Rosewood is an ugly chapter in American history that was largely ignored for decades.
It is not the only ugly chapter in American history.
It means what it means - and what it means is not negated by 'yeah, well, they did this' or 'this happened then.'
When you 'go there', you go the same place as those who point to what happened at Rosewood as if it was happening today.
I told you that a family feud killed more people. I told you that Mariana, Florida’s civilian population was whipped out by colored troops while corralled in the town square during the civil war at Mariana, Fl.

Your response is that like 8 black people and two whites died in an little known chapter in our history and your complaining. Give me a brake ole boy.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#82178 Aug 11, 2010
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>I'm actually more in agreement with you on this one - as long as you limit the conversation to 'information provided to Congress.'
Agreed, Congress had access to far more detailed information than the public.
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
If you expand it to the information provided to the general public as the need for the war was marketed, I think you've got to go back to August of 1964 to find a period when we were lied to that much.
Well then, they were lies that were being told by both Republicans and Democrats, starting with Bill Clinton and his administration.
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
Don't worry - Bush is safe. You can blame it on the folks to whom he delegated that task.
I know many folks in do not believe it, but President Bush is a good and honorable person. I never once heard him speak negatively about a fellow American, even when he was being viciously attacked personally, and lied about.

USA

#82179 Aug 11, 2010
Yellow Star Seed is Back wrote:
<quoted text>
like what?
please elaborate...if possible
Well, you've at least revealed that you'r gullible enough to believe in ink-blots....

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#82180 Aug 11, 2010
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hafta say tho, I've been enjoying those Geico commercials lately. My two favs are the 'lil pig who wheeed all the way home", and the "Drill sgt, turned into a therapist"...
<OFF TOPIC>
Some companies had realized early on how annoying ads are, and hired the staff to deal with it: 1) with rare appearances such as the Coke polar bears; and 2) by changing repetitive ads. There aren't many that do that out here, but Geico, Jack In The Box, Progressive Ins, and a couple others do.

OTOH, Mor Furniture, The Scooter Store, Tax Masters, and most of the rest don't care how annoying they are. They've spent their funds on the ad, and their attitude seems to be "let it ride".
If they only realized how much better the results by rotating several different spots.

Another huge mistake (generally) is for business owners to star in their own ads. Exceptions of course are Cal Worthington of Worthington Ford/Dodge/Long Beach, etc. But local owners especially suck in front of the camera. Most come off stiff, and have no idea about voice inflection. Why do it? To save a buck or two in not hiring a professional. Oh and maybe to go home and show the family that Daddy (or Mommy) is on TV.

“Unemployed Bush 5.3 obama 8.7”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#82181 Aug 11, 2010
lisw wrote:
<quoted text> Sorry you see a "team" That sucks. I don't feel like I'm on a team.You know how I feel about the mosque, I'm not sure what else I can say, except to say if there is no real logical reason to build it there, it would be appropriate to move it elsewhere. According to the congressman from NY,(his name escapes me)there are many empty properties in NY crying out to be bought.
Have you seen Greg Gutfeld's idea to help the Mosque express their tolerance? And yes, the location of it also has meaning.

USA

#82182 Aug 11, 2010
So, theres some evil lowlife, who happens to be white, going around attacking black men and Hispanic men.

So far, he has killed 5, and attacked 20. By the nature of his attacks, its obvious this cretin is driven by seething hatred, for blacks and hispanics. but I am still opposed to hate crime legislation.

This maggot should be tried-n-fried in the electric chair. But there's nothing that an additional law would be able to add to that ultimate punishment...

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#82183 Aug 11, 2010
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
If YOU were paying attention, you would know that it was proven that Pelosi was LYING......
Masquerading as "selective" memory.

Hmmm is that the opposition queing up to expound how Ronald Reagan
was the epitome of selective memory? Why yes, I believe it is.
Blah blah blah.

USA

#82184 Aug 11, 2010
Yellow Star Seed is Back wrote:
<quoted text>
NBC News and news services
updated 3/6/2007 9:18:07 PM ET
WASHINGTON — Vice President Dick Cheney's former chief of staff, I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby, was convicted Tuesday of lying and obstructing a leak investigation that reached into the highest levels of the Bush administration.
Libby is the highest-ranking White House official to be convicted of a felony since the Iran-Contra scandal of the mid-1980s. The case brought new attention to the Bush administration's much-criticized handling of weapons of mass destruction intelligence in the run-up to the Iraq war.
The verdict culminated a nearly four-year investigation into how CIA official Valerie Plame's name was leaked to reporters in 2003. The trial revealed that top members of the administration were eager to discredit Plame's husband, former Ambassador Joseph Wilson, who accused the administration of doctoring prewar intelligence on Iraq.
How pathetic that the only example you have is a freakin LIE told by Joe Wilson, a proven LIAR! Valerie Plame's identity was NOT released by Scooter Libby. That was established early in the investigation. But still, Libby was rail-roaded by the "independent" prosecutor, mostly because Bush was gutless in standing up, in this particular instance.....

Its only SOME liberals, like YOU, who aren't interested in the truth, who still don't know the truth of this travesty, done to a good man....

USA

#82185 Aug 11, 2010
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>There ya go again. In the absence of substance, one is relegated to snitty personal invective and snotty dime-store assessments. It is the height of empty-headed arrogance to think that one can take what little you know of a person in an anonymous public discussion board, and divine their spiritual temperature for the span of 45 years. One might excuse such crass behavior IF we were talking about our faith.
But we're not - this is a >sidebar< subject to the mainpoint (surprise) involving comparative religions, which, you may not be aware, IS a subject at just about every college and university in the nation. As per usual, you must instill much innuendo into what another says to achieve your false indignation. Simple question: Are Christianity and Islam religions? Then they are, at least at one level, "the same". On the surface, they have more commonalities than differences. That is the ONLY equivalency I've asserted. You have a vested interest in taking the comparisons much deeper.
In your blind hatred - yes, hatred - you must besmirch my own spiritual walk in the course of your spittle-spewing invective against a religious building ("...yer heart was NEVER EVER..."). Your super-conservative cape bestows the most amazing divination abilities. I believe you and all who do this personal black-brushing, show yourselves to be more impotently vapid and vengefully bitter with each post. Yes, that is personal - Note that even with all that, I make NO pronouncements on your personal life beyond your short time in topix. There's your angry ideologue - consideration shunted aside for arrogant grand-standing. You are in good company with your self-righteous spiritual assessments - fundamentalists of all stripes, Christian, Muslim, and atheist - all do the same thing with regularity.
But you're keeping up on the talking points, I see. I heard that "no community" argument too. This is one of the more patently stupid arguments being blurped out by the reactionary machine. Community is people, Dr. Higgins. Are there any people in the Tribeca area of Lower Manhattan?
"no community".....sheesh.... talk about shrill.......
Among the numerous salient facts that are NOT on the talking point memo - there is NOTHING fresh about this building "in the shadow of the former WTC". There is already a mosque four blocks away that is too small for it's attendance. Odd, don't you think, for a "community-less" area?
In tune with your "Cordoba" innuendo - Cordoba, in the interim period between religion-tinged pushme-pullyu territorial struggles, was the site of some of the most enlightened thinking of the age, where tolerance and understanding was encouraged. When Christians re-conquered the area, they expelled not only Muslims, but what other group, Higgins? And where did that historically beleaguered group find refuge from the Christians, Higgins?
Perhaps some are secretly embarrassed that another has some initiative in the area. Almost ten years later at GZ there's nothing to show but a dusty hole.
As for personal spiritual assessments, if you're running a contest on who can be the most base and ugly, I concede. You win.
Hip, let me just join ye in yer lil game of pretend. Lets act as though YOU haven't constantly attacked Christianity, and Christians, like Chris. Lets just pretend YOU have not held yerself up as THE EXAMPLE of one who's graduated from the bounds of religion, and specifically Christianity.

When thats all said and done, yer still the same insecure rock thrower who flys into a rage when anyone dares to put into words, how you have depicted yerself. You are obviously conflicted, because on one hand, you brag of yer liberation from christianity, yet ye still rage when anyone accepts yer boast...

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#82186 Aug 11, 2010
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>One big problem. I don't feel conquered. Do you feel conquered?
A small group of radicals knocked down a couple buildings, and punched a hole in a third. Yes, they happened be some pretty tall buildings. I won't give them credit for anything more than that, unless you want to include the fact that we are now suspicious of Muslims in general (which they wanted) and are willing to sacrifice our hard-won liberty for a "sense" of security (which they also wanted).

You give examples of countries conquering another and converting some buildings to their own purposes. I'd like to know of the example of one, just one, conquering nation that didn't follow this pattern? As I said before, by that thinking, every steeple on North American soil must give pangs to one select group of "Americans".

But America has not been conquered, and will not be conquered. If it fails, it will be due to internal strife. IMO.
I have only just enough time to write this, and then I will be away from the 'puter for several hours.

To help clarify my point, I'll repeat the last part of my previous post:

"But don't you realize that the REST of the Islamic world will see this building in exactly the way I described above--that of the "conqueror" with his foot on the neck of the conquered? Even if the Imam and his followers say that's not why it was built--even if they MEAN that--IT WOULDN'T MATTER. This would be a propaganda tool to rival the attacks themselves. And for that reason ALONE, if not for any others, Muslims should never be permitted to use or build anything anywhere near Ground Zero. Ever."

First of all, I do agree with you that if America is ever conquered, it will be largely due to internal strife. Now then, do I "feel conquered?" NO. Not allowing the proposed building go forward is NOT about fear, and it's not about "feeling conquered," either. Quite the contrary. As I said in a post to Shovel which you probably have read by now, it's about ANGER. What purpose can be served by pretending we're not angry about 9-11-01? What purpose can be served by not actually BEING angry by 9-11-01?

Many Muslims, whether here in America or elsewhere, WANT us to "feel conquered." I'm sure you and I agree on that. They want to say to us "See? WE BEAT YOU!"

Not letting the building go forward is saying "LIKE BLOODY HELL YOU HAVE."

USA

#82187 Aug 11, 2010
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Higgins, I hesitate to say it, but you have descended into rant-filled idiocy. I am an American, every bit as proud and committed to my country and people as anyone else. Piss off with your self-righteous ideological personal judgments.
I don't support "IT", Stoopid. I have not at anytime supported "IT". Forget it, you are determinedly thick, willfully ignorant, and ideologically driven to dishonesty as necessary. Never mind, I'll wait for someone to come along that can will actually read and take into account what I WROTE.
I guess I was only hallucinating about yer many posts defending the construction of this mosque. I was also mistaken in believing you've managed to attack Christianity along the way... my BAD!!

“Help Cecil Help!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#82188 Aug 11, 2010
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Look Willie, I don't ever begrudge anyone taking vacations. The only person I spoke of was about hillary's vacation. I also recanted of that criticism. Whenever I say anything about such things, its always only in the context of them (liberals)wanting to control what others do with their own money.
If you were not the one whining about the guvment paying for the First Lady's trip to Spain, I apologize.

As to the attempt to explain what you really mean when you say those things - yeah, right.

USA

#82189 Aug 11, 2010
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, DS. The idea that we should not react because "that's what they want" is like saying don't tend to your child because he just wants attention. I think they in no way expected quite the reaction they got, as BinLaden's brother said he woke the sleeping bear. It's foolish to pretend like it's no big deal and we'll just take whatever they dish out. But I think attitudes like Hip's and he's sure not alone, make us lazy, as we were pre 9/11.
Precisely, Lis.

Muslims of good will are on the forefront, in opposition to this mosque. One Muslim guest on Sean Hannity, who speaks arabic, spoke of an article, written in an Arabic newspaper, which said; Two towers brought down, and 1 mosue constructed in its place, is a "DEVINE thing". Well, thats what THEY say over there, inspite of what hip is trying to make us believe, here.

USA

#82190 Aug 11, 2010
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>The fundamental flaw in your argument, in my opinion, centers around your conviction that the individuals behind this center represent those who wish us harm.
That they are Muslim is not enough.
After that, it all falls apart.
You are as self-appointed as any other poster commenting on this, Higgins.
You are just as capable and just as prone to ridicule those who do not share your view as anyone else.
What you falsely call minimizing is actually rejecting the overly-emotional (and incredibly cynical) use of grief.
The transparent and superficial way you equate 'good will' with 'agrees with me' is just too obvious.
Since YOU are such an honest-broker, I stand corrected, then. You really crack me up Willie.

Man, speaking of "self-appointed" egotist!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min DattaSwami 124,203
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Robert F 682,096
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 58 min Archie DeBunker 8,199
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Liberals are Depl... 982,434
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 hr New Age Spiritual... 619,477
Women and Men: DO NOT marry/date an Engineer!!! (Oct '08) 3 hr Jessica 123
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr Comrade Trump 286,504
More from around the web