Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#79522 Jul 9, 2010
okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
If housing prices go down further, more people will be underwater and walk away from even more homes further setting back any economic recovery.
While I agree that the law is the law, if someone is here illegally but is being productive and staying out of trouble, I would rather the Police concentrate on people who are not staying out of trouble. More Police mens more tax dollars.

Common Sense immigration reform:
If a business cannot get Americans to work for what they are paying, then the should be able to legally hire an immigrant. But let them increase the cost of pay by $1/per hour per year until they can get Americans to work. That then becomes the "base" pay for that job. So the next time they have a problem hiring an American, they have to pay the immigrant the same amount and give $1/per hour raises until they can hire an American.
Anyone caught hiring an illegal should do one year in jail for each labor/year or part thereof that they hired an illegal.
I agree with a lot of this, Boston, and I for one have no problem with allowing businesses to hire immigrants, PROVIDED THOSE IMMIGRANTS ARE HERE LEGALLY. And I really like your ideas for gradually increasing the pay for a job until an American will accept it, and/or a term in jail matching every length of time worked by an illegal. Very original, and probably very effective :)

Location hidden

#79523 Jul 9, 2010
Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text>:) I was just trying to get a rise at of you.Ö and I agree. But as far as stage moms go their in every category whether it be scholastics, gymnastics, or pageants. The whole realm of nuttiness is part of a normal society and there for, it is normal.

Itís the attention we pay to them that is nutty and it seems to be human issue. Overall I agree with you.
"You were trying to get a rise out of me."

Oh, really?

Well, it's a tad late for debating the issue any further, but for now I'm crossing you off my Christmas card list.

*tttttthhhhhppppttt*
(very loud and very wet raspberry)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

#79524 Jul 9, 2010
Wild Willie, I have a question for you.

“What the hay”

Since: Mar 08

Florida

#79525 Jul 9, 2010
Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>"You were trying to get a rise out of me."
Oh, really?
Well, it's a tad late for debating the issue any further, but for now I'm crossing you off my Christmas card list.
*tttttthhhhhppppttt*
(very loud and very wet raspberry)
So good then. I didnít like you any way. Iím striking you from my list too. So there.Ö

“What the hay”

Florida

#79526 Jul 9, 2010
bad bob wrote:
Heís off pouting about something again.

“What the hay”

Florida

#79527 Jul 9, 2010
shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that when you can watch
a)a family implode on live television,
b)13 people agree to live for weeks in a house infested with live feed cameras, and try to get each other evicted on the strength of their flaws,
c)obese folks compete to see who is the 'biggest loser' or
d)those obsessed with plastic surgery have their own show
that the world is a sick, sad place. But the thing is, WE CAN TURN OFF THE SET.
Children need supervision. Parents need to put the needs of their kids first. In my opinion, we as parents are in charge of what our childrens' influences are. We have the responsibility to raise our children, and those who let 'culture' raise their kids are not parents.
Yes indeed sh72, but it is difficult to hang over our kids 24/7. The only way to do it is to kill the TV and the computer. I know one family that did it. Sheltered but good kids they have. The oldest was a great baby setter for my boy but people considered them nutty.

“2016 No Clinton No Bush!”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

#79528 Jul 10, 2010
bad bob wrote:
Okay, ask away.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

#79529 Jul 10, 2010
Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text>Yes indeed sh72, but it is difficult to hang over our kids 24/7.
No one ever said being a parent was easy. I don't necessarily advocate 'hanging over' them, either, but we should be intensely aware of what influences them. If an influence we do not approve of is allowed to become part of their lives, as parents we have the duty to curb it.
Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text> The only way to do it is to kill the TV and the computer.
Or to own neither in the first place. Failing that, we CAN keep a close eye on what programs and sites they are exposed to.
Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text> I know one family that did it. Sheltered but good kids they have. The oldest was a great baby setter for my boy but people considered them nutty.
I couldn't care any less what others think, if I had a gun to my head. The raising of my children was not the responsibility of others.(Both my sons are grown now.)

Lafayette IN

#79530 Jul 10, 2010
For the record - pertussis is also on the rise, or at least there has been a significant cluster of outbreaks, in Maine, Georgia, upstate/central New York, Idaho, and Alabama in the last year.

That's the power of two minutes on Google.

The people who study these things will point to a number of potential contributing factors, of which immigration/transient population is just one possible cause. The anti-immunization movement is another. There are many more.

(Not an epidemiologist. Never played one on television. Been kind of interested in it since I found out the Spanish Flu of 1919-20 killed off several siblings (each) of three of my grandparents.)

Those driven only by an agenda will focus on that factor they believe supports that agenda.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#79531 Jul 10, 2010
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, ask away.
OK. In your "Hippie" days, didja ever light yer hair on fire?

Lafayette IN

#79532 Jul 10, 2010
bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. In your "Hippie" days, didja ever light yer hair on fire?
Nope.

Once while slightly - okay, maybe a bit more than slightly - under the affluence of incohol in the enlisted men's club, I did grab the wrong Bic lighter off the table and trimmed off a significant portion of my beard.

Never did light my hair on fire, though ...

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#79533 Jul 10, 2010
WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Nope.
Once while slightly - okay, maybe a bit more than slightly - under the affluence of incohol in the enlisted men's club, I did grab the wrong Bic lighter off the table and trimmed off a significant portion of my beard.
Never did light my hair on fire, though ...
Maybe I was owned. Some "communal guys" near Hollywood & Vine, told me early on (1966), I had to wear striped bell bottoms, carry a Daisy, smoke Black Ganja, and b4 going to see Hendrix, I had to set my hair ablaze.

I didn't object to the burn pains as much as the trauma of getting kicked in the jewels for having a Daisy.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#79534 Jul 10, 2010
Just got a msg fwd by a disabled vet in Florida, saying his VA disability payments are the only thing between him and being homeless.

But his neighbor down the street is an illegal immigrant woman (25 years old) with 8 kids, who receives $1500 a month, plus medical, plus food stamps all tax free.$1500 X 8 =$12,000 mo.

This is no isolated case either, as apparently brochures regarding this are being (and have been) handed out on the Mexican side of the border.

The gist of the msg was that he wanted "us" as Americans to vote out the politicians responsible
for this, and place term limits on ALL politicians hereafter, so that gov't can be returned to "us", as intended in the first place.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

#79535 Jul 10, 2010
OOOPS
s/h/b $1500 per month, per kid.

Lafayette IN

#79536 Jul 10, 2010
bad bob wrote:
Just got a msg fwd by a disabled vet in Florida, saying his VA disability payments are the only thing between him and being homeless.
But his neighbor down the street is an illegal immigrant woman (25 years old) with 8 kids, who receives $1500 a month, plus medical, plus food stamps all tax free.$1500 X 8 =$12,000 mo.
This is no isolated case either, as apparently brochures regarding this are being (and have been) handed out on the Mexican side of the border.
The gist of the msg was that he wanted "us" as Americans to vote out the politicians responsible
for this, and place term limits on ALL politicians hereafter, so that gov't can be returned to "us", as intended in the first place.
Twelve thousand dollars a month in benefits, huh?

Still smokin' the Black Ganja, are we?
Peter

Elyria, OH

#79537 Jul 10, 2010
bad bob wrote:
That is madness.

The problem is more with the existence of the welfare state in the first place, not with the immigrants coming here.

My uncle is disabled and he gets aid from the government. This is fine. But now he is applying for yet another program which will include them paying for his apartment to be cleaned, his dishes washed, and his laundry taken care of, among many other things. There simply is no way this can go on forever. The money has to come from somewhere!

Location hidden

#79538 Jul 10, 2010
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Willie, I've been following the whole conversation and I get the total gist. Okboston appears to be another libertarian. He feels america is way behind the times. That it is because we impose religious values on what should be secular laws. That if we were advanced like Sweden, and legalized prostitution and drugs and had no dissent against gay marriage, then we would be caught up. My metaphor of the day is that if we legalize trespassing, chances are their will be those who would not trespass anyway, because they are polite people, there will be those who try it on a lark and there will be those that would have done it anyway, and now just don't have to answer for it. I understand that illegal drugs and sex set up a good deal for the kingpins. I'm just not sure that I want the government to be the new kingpins which would have to be the case if drugs and prostitution were legalized.

Including gay rights in there doesn't fit. So religion is the problem and should not influence laws is a big, huge, honking red herring. Anything else?
Excellent, pithy post, Lis :)

Location hidden

#79539 Jul 10, 2010
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>No, I'm sure no teacher, but I understand just what you're saying - history class was one that I would not cut unless I had to (all-day party, road trip, whatever). I can think of a couple teachers something like you describe, and another teacher I recall was a total mannequin with a m-o-n-o-t-o-n-e delivery like the Ferris Buehler teacher, but the subject was interesting enough to me to eat it up anyway. In personal reading I've always been more interested in how people lived as opposed to kings and boundaries. I think it's interesting to imagine people 2-3-4000 years ago really didn't respond to their world that much different than people today - just different stimuli and distractions.

You are very kind with your words. Hang around tho'- there's a couple here that make my "history" look like a B+ high school essay.
Peace.
HipG
I've always LOVED history. I've always enjoyed learning how people lived their day-to-day lives, and I was blessed to have history teachers throughout my school and college years who knew how to make the subject interesting, too :) I still remember how fascinated I was when in the third grade (and studying history for the very first time) to learn how candles were made during the colonial era.

But I think one of the best ways to learn history is to read biographies of the people you are most interested in. I've always loved to read too, and several biographies are among my very favorite books--Eve Curie's biography of her mother Marie, for instance. If history is taught as a litany of dates, names and places, anyone can see that it would be pretty dull, but when you learn WHY people did what they did, history can take on a far richer dimension :)

Location hidden

#79541 Jul 10, 2010
lisw wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not trying to distance religion from the dicussion but I do disagree that you can't have one with the other. My point in the end is that I don't believe that if somehow we got rid of organized religion we would live in a land of tolerance and love and respect. I think we would decay much like Rome did, where feeling good was all that mattered. Not mind you that I think organized religion does not have its problems. But I do think it is the rougues that cause the most problem, like the so called Baptist minister who pickets against gays, the people who murder the Tiltons of the world in the name of a church and the Muslims that terrorize in the name of their religion. Rogues all of them.
Well said again :)

“God Bless America”

Location hidden

#79542 Jul 10, 2010
Ds Higgins1 wrote:
Hmmmmm. Now they are having an outbreak of Hooping cough in "Colifawnia", and a number of children have actually died from it.
Well, I wonder if those infected are either illegal-immigrants, or those exposed to illegal immigrants???
Hooping cough, Mumps, Measels were all completely under control in the US. But with unchecked borders, communicable diseases is only the start of the problem......
T B is making a comback after having been basically irradicated. Problem is that the current strain is very difficult to treat and is resistant to current therapies.

We never know and most likely have no idea what all diseases these illegals are bringing over the border with them.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min bacon hater 97,989
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min USA Born 579,089
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 15 min AntiqueAnnie 609,845
What do u think of Jesus Christ?(God) (Oct '06) 21 min set free in truth 69,891
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min RADEKT 270,124
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 35 min Hukt on Fonix 817,600
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 59 min His Hollines dr S... 39,956
More from around the web