|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Ds Higgins1 wrote:
<quoted text>
RG, as some might accurately guess, I respect your opinion, and you do make very powerful points here. But my point about Steinem is that with her shrillness, her many accomplishments will always remain tainted.

IMO, while Steinem's accomplishments are inarguable on the one hand, her absurdly caricatured man-hating agenda has actually served to undermine women in some areas.
I agree with that as well, DS, but as I said, I believe in giving credit where credit is due. The only point I've been trying to make is that while we should not overrate Steinem's accomplishments or influence, neither should we minimize them.

“What the hay”

Since: Mar 08

Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Roberta G wrote:
Don't be ridiculous, Poggy. The last time I checked, it IS possible to put your kid in decent clothes WITHOUT making them look like little streetwalkers or bag ladies.
And yes, the parents ARE the problem. Their daughters don't come up with this nonsense by themselves, do they?
You may be implying that watching TV, the Internet, etc. influences these kids in unhealthy ways. That's probably true, but that's all the more reason why parents should COUNTERACT the media's influence, instead of holding up Madonna, Britney Spears, etc. as examples to be emulated.
For heaven's sake, Poggy, do YOU want to see 4-7-10-13 year old girls sexualized? Because that's what all this is for. These girls' parents and others are exploiting their LITTLE GIRS as sex objects, something to be slavered over by middle-aged men. It's disgusting, absolutely disgusting.
For heaven's sake, Poggy, let kids BE KIDS.
:) I was just trying to get a rise at of you.Ö and I agree. But as far as stage moms go their in every category whether it be scholastics, gymnastics, or pageants. The whole realm of nuttiness is part of a normal society and there for, it is normal.

Itís the attention we pay to them that is nutty and it seems to be human issue. Overall I agree with you.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Judged:

Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text>:) I was just trying to get a rise at of you.Ö and I agree. But as far as stage moms go their in every category whether it be scholastics, gymnastics, or pageants. The whole realm of nuttiness is part of a normal society and there for, it is normal.
Itís the attention we pay to them that is nutty and it seems to be human issue. Overall I agree with you.
I agree that when you can watch
a)a family implode on live television,
b)13 people agree to live for weeks in a house infested with live feed cameras, and try to get each other evicted on the strength of their flaws,
c)obese folks compete to see who is the 'biggest loser' or
d)those obsessed with plastic surgery have their own show
that the world is a sick, sad place. But the thing is, WE CAN TURN OFF THE SET.

Children need supervision. Parents need to put the needs of their kids first. In my opinion, we as parents are in charge of what our childrens' influences are. We have the responsibility to raise our children, and those who let 'culture' raise their kids are not parents.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

okboston wrote:
<quoted text>
If housing prices go down further, more people will be underwater and walk away from even more homes further setting back any economic recovery.
While I agree that the law is the law, if someone is here illegally but is being productive and staying out of trouble, I would rather the Police concentrate on people who are not staying out of trouble. More Police mens more tax dollars.

Common Sense immigration reform:
If a business cannot get Americans to work for what they are paying, then the should be able to legally hire an immigrant. But let them increase the cost of pay by $1/per hour per year until they can get Americans to work. That then becomes the "base" pay for that job. So the next time they have a problem hiring an American, they have to pay the immigrant the same amount and give $1/per hour raises until they can hire an American.
Anyone caught hiring an illegal should do one year in jail for each labor/year or part thereof that they hired an illegal.
I agree with a lot of this, Boston, and I for one have no problem with allowing businesses to hire immigrants, PROVIDED THOSE IMMIGRANTS ARE HERE LEGALLY. And I really like your ideas for gradually increasing the pay for a job until an American will accept it, and/or a term in jail matching every length of time worked by an illegal. Very original, and probably very effective :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text>:) I was just trying to get a rise at of you.Ö and I agree. But as far as stage moms go their in every category whether it be scholastics, gymnastics, or pageants. The whole realm of nuttiness is part of a normal society and there for, it is normal.

"You were trying to get a rise out of me."

Oh, really?

Well, it's a tad late for debating the issue any further, but for now I'm crossing you off my Christmas card list.

*tttttthhhhhppppttt*
(very loud and very wet raspberry)

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Since: Nov 07

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Wild Willie, I have a question for you.

“What the hay”

Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

Judged:

Roberta G wrote:
<quoted text>"You were trying to get a rise out of me."
Oh, really?
Well, it's a tad late for debating the issue any further, but for now I'm crossing you off my Christmas card list.
*tttttthhhhhppppttt*
(very loud and very wet raspberry)
So good then. I didnít like you any way. Iím striking you from my list too. So there.Ö

“What the hay”

Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

bad bob wrote:
Heís off pouting about something again.

“What the hay”

Florida

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 9, 2010

shovelhead72 wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that when you can watch
a)a family implode on live television,
b)13 people agree to live for weeks in a house infested with live feed cameras, and try to get each other evicted on the strength of their flaws,
c)obese folks compete to see who is the 'biggest loser' or
d)those obsessed with plastic surgery have their own show
that the world is a sick, sad place. But the thing is, WE CAN TURN OFF THE SET.
Children need supervision. Parents need to put the needs of their kids first. In my opinion, we as parents are in charge of what our childrens' influences are. We have the responsibility to raise our children, and those who let 'culture' raise their kids are not parents.
Yes indeed sh72, but it is difficult to hang over our kids 24/7. The only way to do it is to kill the TV and the computer. I know one family that did it. Sheltered but good kids they have. The oldest was a great baby setter for my boy but people considered them nutty.

“Mean People Suck”

Since: Dec 06

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

bad bob wrote:
Okay, ask away.

“searching myself”

Since: Sep 09

In Charming CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Judged:

Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text>Yes indeed sh72, but it is difficult to hang over our kids 24/7.
No one ever said being a parent was easy. I don't necessarily advocate 'hanging over' them, either, but we should be intensely aware of what influences them. If an influence we do not approve of is allowed to become part of their lives, as parents we have the duty to curb it.
Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text> The only way to do it is to kill the TV and the computer.
Or to own neither in the first place. Failing that, we CAN keep a close eye on what programs and sites they are exposed to.
Poggy Bill wrote:
<quoted text> I know one family that did it. Sheltered but good kids they have. The oldest was a great baby setter for my boy but people considered them nutty.
I couldn't care any less what others think, if I had a gun to my head. The raising of my children was not the responsibility of others.(Both my sons are grown now.)

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

For the record - pertussis is also on the rise, or at least there has been a significant cluster of outbreaks, in Maine, Georgia, upstate/central New York, Idaho, and Alabama in the last year.

That's the power of two minutes on Google.

The people who study these things will point to a number of potential contributing factors, of which immigration/transient population is just one possible cause. The anti-immunization movement is another. There are many more.

(Not an epidemiologist. Never played one on television. Been kind of interested in it since I found out the Spanish Flu of 1919-20 killed off several siblings (each) of three of my grandparents.)

Those driven only by an agenda will focus on that factor they believe supports that agenda.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, ask away.
OK. In your "Hippie" days, didja ever light yer hair on fire?

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Judged:

bad bob wrote:
<quoted text>
OK. In your "Hippie" days, didja ever light yer hair on fire?
Nope.

Once while slightly - okay, maybe a bit more than slightly - under the affluence of incohol in the enlisted men's club, I did grab the wrong Bic lighter off the table and trimmed off a significant portion of my beard.

Never did light my hair on fire, though ...

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Judged:

WildWeirdWillie wrote:
<quoted text>Nope.
Once while slightly - okay, maybe a bit more than slightly - under the affluence of incohol in the enlisted men's club, I did grab the wrong Bic lighter off the table and trimmed off a significant portion of my beard.
Never did light my hair on fire, though ...
Maybe I was owned. Some "communal guys" near Hollywood & Vine, told me early on (1966), I had to wear striped bell bottoms, carry a Daisy, smoke Black Ganja, and b4 going to see Hendrix, I had to set my hair ablaze.

I didn't object to the burn pains as much as the trauma of getting kicked in the jewels for having a Daisy.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Judged:

Just got a msg fwd by a disabled vet in Florida, saying his VA disability payments are the only thing between him and being homeless.

But his neighbor down the street is an illegal immigrant woman (25 years old) with 8 kids, who receives $1500 a month, plus medical, plus food stamps all tax free.$1500 X 8 =$12,000 mo.

This is no isolated case either, as apparently brochures regarding this are being (and have been) handed out on the Mexican side of the border.

The gist of the msg was that he wanted "us" as Americans to vote out the politicians responsible
for this, and place term limits on ALL politicians hereafter, so that gov't can be returned to "us", as intended in the first place.

“Custer @ LBH - Ooops”

Bakersfield, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

OOOPS
s/h/b $1500 per month, per kid.

“Mean People Suck”

Lafayette IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Judged:

bad bob wrote:
Just got a msg fwd by a disabled vet in Florida, saying his VA disability payments are the only thing between him and being homeless.
But his neighbor down the street is an illegal immigrant woman (25 years old) with 8 kids, who receives $1500 a month, plus medical, plus food stamps all tax free.$1500 X 8 =$12,000 mo.
This is no isolated case either, as apparently brochures regarding this are being (and have been) handed out on the Mexican side of the border.
The gist of the msg was that he wanted "us" as Americans to vote out the politicians responsible
for this, and place term limits on ALL politicians hereafter, so that gov't can be returned to "us", as intended in the first place.
Twelve thousand dollars a month in benefits, huh?

Still smokin' the Black Ganja, are we?
Peter

Elyria, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

Judged:

bad bob wrote:
That is madness.

The problem is more with the existence of the welfare state in the first place, not with the immigrants coming here.

My uncle is disabled and he gets aid from the government. This is fine. But now he is applying for yet another program which will include them paying for his apartment to be cleaned, his dishes washed, and his laundry taken care of, among many other things. There simply is no way this can go on forever. The money has to come from somewhere!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2010

lisw wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, Willie, I've been following the whole conversation and I get the total gist. Okboston appears to be another libertarian. He feels america is way behind the times. That it is because we impose religious values on what should be secular laws. That if we were advanced like Sweden, and legalized prostitution and drugs and had no dissent against gay marriage, then we would be caught up. My metaphor of the day is that if we legalize trespassing, chances are their will be those who would not trespass anyway, because they are polite people, there will be those who try it on a lark and there will be those that would have done it anyway, and now just don't have to answer for it. I understand that illegal drugs and sex set up a good deal for the kingpins. I'm just not sure that I want the government to be the new kingpins which would have to be the case if drugs and prostitution were legalized.

Including gay rights in there doesn't fit. So religion is the problem and should not influence laws is a big, huge, honking red herring. Anything else?
Excellent, pithy post, Lis :)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 76,341 - 76,360 of171,378
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

479 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 4 min Aura Mytha 222,981
Mike older man 6 min Son1995 1
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min petesake kis 114,501
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min thewordofme 715,673
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 13 min Cisco Kid 529,583
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 min Hidingfromyou 93,106
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 23 min bhavana 454
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 255,481
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 9 hr Carly 107
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••