Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#612383 Dec 9, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<continued to Skom>>
<quoted text>
"But I see no facts on your side."
- what facts are you looking for?
"And you are guessing from zero proof of its existence and no proof of intervention that the lack of either must be evidence that it neither cares or is still around."
- Correct - being honest dictates this. What do you have to show proof of an existence you claim? A book written by men? My point exactly.
"And i know you said we can't understand God yet you claim to know what God isn't. How do you know God doesn't share human traits? "
- I don't, and neither do you.
-....and yes - I can declare what "God" isn't, because those are facts and evidence that shows jsut that. A car is a car, not "God". A rainbow is a refraction of light through a water 'prism'....not "God". I can name alot of things that are not "God".
<<continued>>
I agree that Christians go by faith not proof.

However saying what isn't God is different than saying what characteristics God has. He may very well have traits He instilled in humans. Although neither you nor I can prove this one way or the other. Yes a car is not God. But God may be just as the Bible describes Him. Christians take that on faith. Unbelievers can't conclusively prove otherwise.

Location hidden

#612384 Dec 9, 2013
<<continued to Skom>>
<quoted text>
"...would they be fools to believe you?"
- I can't control what people believe, but I can speak my mind and opinion on why you believe them, using facts.
"There were first hand accounts such as Peter and people who walked with and lived with Jesus that witnessed the miracles and believed."
- Thomas walked with Jesus, but you don't accept those teachings.
- your argument is one-sided and biased.
<quoted text>
"I simply don't see why it is you are so condescending towards Christianity and why you think you have done anything other than make some very common guesses once you left the faith?"
- common guesses? No - statements based upon facts that exist. Like some scholars agree that GoThomas is the earliest gospel. Like GoMatt and GoLuke are just rehashes of GoMark - with a little more opinion added in. Even then, those addded words are contradictory to other passages.
- proof of scribal errors, proof of copies of copies of copies of copies in circulation, theological choices to ensure followers are follwoing the "right" belief.
- Yeah - I just make guesses. Not.
Moving past the words to understand the meanings is what I've done. I've realized that words can have several meanings, and that certain individuals are not "divine" but only because other men had chosen they are.
I wonder why many men who actually do things that would be considered "divine" in todays world - people who go to hospitals to help the ill and others, organizers of Toys for Tots, the Red Cross staff - don't get the same credit as men from 2000 years ago.
A: Because men get to choose. Because men are blinded by what really is good. Because men are selfish.
Thanks for responding.
I may not have been clear when I said you make guesses. I understand the reasons why you don't follow the Bible and some of what went into that decision. I am referring to what you know about the being that created us

As for GoThomas, I have read it and see it as basically a summary of what is in the other Gospels. I don't know for certain why it wasn't included or why it was not considered authentic but I don't see anything in it that would change what I believe even if it was included.

Thanks for the exchange as well. I wish more exchanges between people with different beliefs could go like this.

(T) Peace
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612385 Dec 9, 2013
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
I am no stranger to him. I have not been on topix but for a short time now. I left about a year ago. He is still the same as ever, a firecracker for sure.LOL I am going to have to look this Harold Camping guy up, never heard of him. I mainly try to stay calm and kid him. Sometimes, he hits my breaking point. LOL
Yeah, Harold Camping was that radio religious nut who predicted that the rapture would occur on may 21, 2011 and that the physical universe would cease to exist on Oct. 21.

Shrinky, aka pipek, was one of his devout followers propmoting this nonsense but denies that he had anything to do with iyt.
He got his a$$ whooped but still won't leave.

Mind as well say that he's now the token village idiot.
Every forum needs one...lol
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612386 Dec 9, 2013
BIBLE TRUE JEHOVA wrote:
<quoted text>
I know this?
but how do you know this that Jesus actually didn't say this?
you are simple little wandering troll,babling without of brain?
eh
their is not time to waist with such blind rotten humans like you,
go to school?
What you accused me of doesn't make any sense.
Since the poster claims that this Jesus guy said what he said then the proof is on his part.

That's like me calling you an a$$hole but you deny it.
However, I have proof.
The proof is your ill-mannered and ill-tempered juvenile behavior that is void of all credible content.

And yes, I went to school.
And you?
itsme

Balwyn, Australia

#612387 Dec 9, 2013
positronium wrote:
<quoted text>For the moment, I agree.
Thanks, It's good to be here for the moment huh?
I wonder, just like I did when I first opened my eyes. What next? I wonder still.
"For the moment...
... I agree!"
That moment is short lived and full of wonder as to what time it is.
Stay Safe

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#612388 Dec 9, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
don't expect me to ever to apologize to you again for making unfair accusations that can't be proven here.....
I haven't expected anything from you up and to this point, why should I begin now?

I on the other hand, have provided many links and support for my position.

In truth, the only thing I would expect from you is honesty, and as of right now - I've yet to see it. All you do is post nonsensical ramblings about nothing you can substantiate.

Albuquerque, NM

#612389 Dec 9, 2013
Knowledge wrote:
<quoted text>
it is what one chooses to believe right?
This sentence should have been your first, as it was the most honest.

Self.

No religion required. No "God" is required to believe what you choose to believe, huh?

Thank you for proving my point.
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612390 Dec 9, 2013
Verschluckliche Dumkopfen wrote:
<quoted text>
you got not brain to think,mister Bo Pee Pee
I quess you forgot visious attacks against my great grand father dr Shrink,
he one attack Le Le,and you poor diaper wet boy,and old RA devil heart kiving by pump blood,
attack me very badly,and you nr1 enter viscoius reports to ban me from posting,
your attempts Gods Spirit remove forewer-and dr Shrink is going to be here to his naturla body death in age of 120 like Abraham?
so?
deal with this fact,you bad boy with weak bladder-
see you latter,by my younger bro" Prince Helmut Pipke"
You may keep on changing your name, pipek, but you always will be the same village idiot that cannot change.

Location hidden

#612391 Dec 9, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
Honestly...this has gotten old...
RR beats his wife...
"G" abandons his child...
RA worships satan...
Everyone is a liar...
Am I the only one that is tired of scrolling past all of this?
I think that all of you involved in this fiasco has more to contribute to good conversations than all this crap.
Certainly not a bad suggestion. The problem with letting conversations going down to sewer level is the aroma lingers. Nobody will ever mistake this place for a love-fest but they should at least be able to recognize us as decent people. And it's hard to argue against tit-for-tat even though one person could choose to rise above it. But it'd be much easier if everyone agreed to certain boundaries
itsme

Balwyn, Australia

#612392 Dec 9, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I may not have been clear when I said you make guesses. I understand the reasons why you don't follow the Bible and some of what went into that decision. I am referring to what you know about the being that created us
As for GoThomas, I have read it and see it as basically a summary of what is in the other Gospels. I don't know for certain why it wasn't included or why it was not considered authentic but I don't see anything in it that would change what I believe even if it was included.
Thanks for the exchange as well. I wish more exchanges between people with different beliefs could go like this.
(T) Peace
That is the beauty of Truth. It is found in everything under the Sun... if we have eras to hear and eyes to see and hearts to receive.

We - mankind - are our own biggest stumbling block.

... even tho some things recorded for what they were - individual angles - and still unearthed later, the spirit to understanding was given to discern, and with this we are able to hold fast to what we receive.
(T) Peace always to you.
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612393 Dec 9, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR problem is that you haven't received the Christ that HAS come. the next time He comes it's not gonna be as Christ but as Conqueror of those who haven't received Him
the gaytheistic "christ" that you're waiting for is my antichrist;)
You are completely ignorant of the messianic prophesies that were told by the Hebrew ancients.
They talked of one, I repeat, only one coming of the messiah.
The early 19th century christians are the ones who split it into two.
You are a product of that fraudulent dogma.

Albuquerque, NM

#612394 Dec 9, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I agree that Christians go by faith not proof.
However saying what isn't God is different than saying what characteristics God has. He may very well have traits He instilled in humans. Although neither you nor I can prove this one way or the other. Yes a car is not God. But God may be just as the Bible describes Him. Christians take that on faith. Unbelievers can't conclusively prove otherwise.
"Although neither you nor I can prove this one way or the other.....But God may be just as the Bible describes Him. Christians take that on faith."

let's look at your post....using honesty....okay?

True - neither you, I, or any can prove "God" exists - only "God" can, and that doesn't seem to be happening.

You are right about one thing, IMO - "God" does have traits which are instilled in humans - namely free will.

I can say this, because I can name many incidents where someone could have been saved, but weren't. I attribute this to "God" having free will too - "He" chooses on what "He" will do. Thus, since "His" choices to NOT save little girls from freezing to death, or healing children who their parents are praying to "God" to help heal.

But you don't see it this way, because you would rather use qualifiers to justify your perception, but in fact you only expose your "God's" weakness.

"God" has no control over this world.

Why do you believe men?
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612395 Dec 9, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"to the perverse all things are perverse" i.e., just cuz you may have a thang for peeps with your same sexual components don't mean that david did for jonathan. are you insinuating that a man can't love another man like a brother???
and, yes, religion can be evil; you and your religion are an excellent example;)
David loved Jonathan that was beyond the love of that of a woman.
Do you really need someone to spell this out for you?
You can sugarcoat all you want but the bottom line is that Jonathan was David's sugar more so than his wives and comcubines.

Talk about sexual components, eh barney?
LOL

Albuquerque, NM

#612396 Dec 9, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I am referring to what you know about the being that created us
I, like all humans, have not been introduced, except through literary treatises of men.

So in truth, my opinion is only speculation.

This is honesty.

And in this honesty, I can honestly say I am not a "Christian", or any other religious label.

I'm a human.
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612397 Dec 9, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
it's very simple: similar to how you're choosing NOT to believe, i'm choosing TO believe and then it becomes a reality:)
Doe that mean that you also believe in Santa and the M&M characters?
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612398 Dec 9, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
2nd - if you now understand that Jesus is more than just a great rabbi, What/Who pray-tell do you think He is and why/how can he be more than a mortal man???
may I answer this?
:D

Jesus was a wanna be messiah, a mortal, who was disappointed that he wasn't the one that was prophesied by the ancients.
He even confirms his disappoinment when he called out for the prophet Elijah from the cross.
El is el

Lansdowne, PA

#612399 Dec 9, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
lol - yup - believing on God's Christ is the only true Godly/moral thing that we can do of our own volition/free will and unbelievers are failing miserably:)
On the contrary, Barney, the unbelievers are not failing miserably.
Most have awakened from the notion that this Jesus guy in the bible is a christ and a god.

You have yet to understand.

Location hidden

#612401 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
"Although neither you nor I can prove this one way or the other.....But God may be just as the Bible describes Him. Christians take that on faith."
let's look at your post....using honesty....okay?
True - neither you, I, or any can prove "God" exists - only "God" can, and that doesn't seem to be happening.
You are right about one thing, IMO - "God" does have traits which are instilled in humans - namely free will.
I can say this, because I can name many incidents where someone could have been saved, but weren't. I attribute this to "God" having free will too - "He" chooses on what "He" will do. Thus, since "His" choices to NOT save little girls from freezing to death, or healing children who their parents are praying to "God" to help heal.
But you don't see it this way, because you would rather use qualifiers to justify your perception, but in fact you only expose your "God's" weakness.
"God" has no control over this world.
Why do you believe men?
You say "but you don't see it this way because you would rather use qualifiers..."

You and I have never discussed why we think God does not intervene so how do you know how I see it?

And how do you know your guess for Why God doesn't intervene (apathy or inability you seem to be saying must be the only two possibilities) is any more correct than what I believe? But what is my position if you believe you have seen me express it to other people in order to claim how I see it?

Location hidden

#612403 Dec 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I, like all humans, have not been introduced, except through literary treatises of men.
So in truth, my opinion is only speculation.
This is honesty.
And in this honesty, I can honestly say I am not a "Christian", or any other religious label.
I'm a human.
And I appreciate that honestly.

And as you know my position is based on faith not proof

I do not claim fact

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#612406 Dec 9, 2013
itsme wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the beauty of Truth. It is found in everything under the Sun... if we have eras to hear and eyes to see and hearts to receive.
We - mankind - are our own biggest stumbling block.
... even tho some things recorded for what they were - individual angles - and still unearthed later, the spirit to understanding was given to discern, and with this we are able to hold fast to what we receive.
(T) Peace always to you.
Thank you for this post

I agree that we are our own worst enemies. We have been given the gift of life and on a place with the resources to sustain us all. Man's greed and need to satisfy the flesh more than God has created a world full of sin and suffering. But it is not how we die that matters, death will come for us all, but rather how we live. The last shall be first and those that gave up their suffering to The Lord and endured pain in this life will be rewarded in the next life to come.

God could intervene and limit free-will and undo the damage and suffering caused by man. But then we are nothing more than puppets on a string. This life is a drop in the ocean compared to eternity. God did not intervene to save His only Son because ways beyond our understanding require the payment of sins. Christ died to wipe the slate clean and to bring the truth to us. And so often that gift is squandered and taken for granted.

People often ask is it fair that a child suffers? If things were 'fair' we would all die in our sins. But we have been given this human life do that we may seek the truth. And like you said it can be found everywhere under the sun. This life is a test of sorts but one where the rules are simple. Love God and love one another. Nothing man should struggle with to the extent he does.

I used my response to you to also cover some thoughts I had on God intervening.

(T) Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min Kaitlin the Wolf ... 777,718
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 14 min Al Capone 5,151
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 35 min how g 265,399
Designer sarees Online 41 min Priya 1
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 45 min how g 560,316
Scientific proof for God's existence 1 hr andet1987 47
Is the price is right fixed for blacks? (Jun '12) 1 hr Loggerblogger 56
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 7 hr yon 4,848
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 13 hr hpcaban 441,809
More from around the web