Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Naw, it won't drive you nuts, or drive for you. I took one out once(Hemi ,not a 6)- sweet machine. My neighbor just purchased a Rallye Redline, they have the new 6 with 305 hp, more than enough. Really, more than many original muscle cars rolled off the lots with 8s in 'em!
<quoted text>
I hear ya! I have a Kia that doesn't have a switch to kill the interior lights on door opens, rewired a rocker switch between 'em ;)
If I ever buy a Challenger, I'll buy a '70. I've always liked the 340. Chrysler was under pressure in the late 60s and early 70s to produce a pony car to challenge the Camaro and Mustang. It was a good small block engine.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I am curious to why the sudden approach to ownership?
Is it not fair to say you and many others have often spoke with authority as to Christianity. Now it seems like you are saying that is something perhaps you and others should have been deferring to those in the faith?
Personally I don't think it is quite as black and white as I think some things come down to knowledge. Someone may know more than someone in a particular aspect of an overall subject even if they would not fall into that classification. I think to assume someone is an expert due to affiliation and automatically knows more than someone that is not is probably not the case a lot of times.
However I do think there are areas that it would make more sense to defer. For example, I wouldn't try to say I know more about what someone deals with being gay in Western culture than someone who is gay. Just like someone who is an atheist can't claim to know they know why someone believes more than that person.
Although this is can be applied to most things when it comes to state of mind. To know what someone has experienced it would be necessary to know the mind and heart of that person which isn't possible.
Also I agree this is an issue you are much more likely to know more about in general. Although I would say factual elements are up for grabs. Whether in the faith or not, it would be a fact to say the largest denomination in the United States is Catholic. Whether gay or not, it is a fact same-sex marriage was first recognized in Massachusetts. Regardless of affiliation, whoever knows those things would be correct.
So I guess I am asking what things do you consider areas people not classified as part of a group should generally be deferred to someone who is, specifically when it comes to homosexuality and Christianity?
I guess I agree with you. I get annoyed at those who don't understand historical methodologies but claim to be 'experts' both on Topix and off as well as theists and atheists.

I am not an expert on "your faith", what you believe is a personal or church matter. I do claim to be quite informed on the history of Christianity and the Bible. The two topics are quite independent.

I have discovered that my knowledge has not lead me away from "belief" but has strengthened it.
Hope that makes sense to you.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well, I do believe that if someone is left to their own devices, there will be an innate sexual orientation that surfaces. I believe people either are attracted to the opposite sex,same-sex, or minors. And that can and will happen without sociology affecting a change as it is biological
But at the same time there are times when I think external factors can cause someone to move from their natural orientation. There is a very high correlation between minors who were sexually abused and pedophiles. And given the low overall percentages of pedophiles (3-5%)in society, it would be almost mathematically impossible for someone to conclude that children who were sexually abused coincidentally were going to end up being pedophiles anyway. Just like the high correlation of men who turn to homosexuality in prison after being subjected to sexual abuse by other men. So I think there is no way to deny that someone's orientation can be affected by outside trauma.
Yet there are many people who were not traumatized or socialized towards orientation in regards to homosexuality. If anything, the pressure was to be straight which often times led to someone attempting that path before realizing that is not their natural orientation.
So while I see orientation as not quite as set in stone as some may think, I do also believe that many naturally will simply be attracted to who they are. So I believe it is biological but I also believe someone can be pushed so-to-speak into going against whatever their natural orientation is
You assert ownership of this topic?

You have credentials?
truth

Perth, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

i told you i see last night
its light coming from sky 003 second..is that light fast..is that possible without knowing
on simple way turn and look that moment..as well why i look if i not look or observe that sort of fast light..003..

Is that6 free traveling as well who can travel fast like that?

n

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a large difference in belief and known facts.
I'm a homosexual. You can actually touch me ( I wouldn't recommend that ). You can believe I'm not a homosexual but I am and no amount of belief will change that. I can make you believe that I'm not.
I'm an amputee. You can believe that I'm not but I am. No amount of belief will change that. I can make you believe that I'm not.
I'm Chinese. I can put sunglasses on and I might be able to convince you that I'm not but no amount of belief will change the fact that I am. I could be Korean?
I'm not a Christian but I can make you believe that I am.
Oh I agree there is quite a difference between belief and fact

All I was saying is that even with a belief system, there are facts about group. And someone being part of a group doesn't necessarily mean they are automatically an expert on those facts or automatically more knowledgeable than someone outside the group in every aspect.

If someone is a Christian and didn't know Catholic was largest denomination in the United States yet an atheist knew that, then in the one case the atheist would know more about Christianity in regards to that than someone in the faith. Just because someone is in the faith doesn't mean they automatically know everything there is to know. And sometimes there is no disputing who knew a particular fact.

If someone is gay and didn't know that it was a Surpreme court ruling in 2003 that led to Massachusetts being the first state to recognize same-sex marriage yet someone who isn't gay knew that, in that one case the person who was straight knew more about the history concerning homosexuality in America than someone who is gay

So my point was basically that regardless what group someone is in, there are two categories (and one more i will bring up in a minute)

1) Facts - which don't change and whoever knows them would have just as much right to state them, regardless of their group

2) Individual truths - someone in a group is going to know more about some things than someone who is not. I would defer to someone who is gay on the subject of what is it like to be gay in Western society. I could learn this or that but bottom line is, someone who is gay is going to be able to speak to that way more than someone who isn't. Just like a believer is going to be able to speak way more to why they believe than an atheist claiming to know why people believe.

And then I would think everything else pretty much falls into a final category. Anything that isn't based on fact or personal experience, is subjective and people will all have their own opinions. For example, what affect does homosexuality have on society? Or what affect does Christianity have on Society? Those things are subjective. And I think people have a right to their opinion on things that are subjective and don't have to defer. But they do have to defer if they are going to essentially speak for someone else and they have to defer to the person they are speaking for

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo,we have a winner! Correct , his old man did it to him (and my uncles). That half placed "value" in 'solving' issues with fists and gloves. I think you understand, part of the 'heritage' in some ways ;)
But curiously , not all involved (uncles) carried on the "tradition". Some couldn't (no sons), others seemed to 'mellow' in areas, yet all wouldn't hesitate to go at each other for a perceived offence. On the exterior , one would never suspect less than civility from them, all but one was professional(7 brothers)and carried themselves to the part.
I imagine much comes into play - nurture,socioeconomic times, mindset of the era, ect.
Yet, "chains" of such behavioural patterns, generationally, can be altered, for some of the very reasons you list, particularly one abhorrence to a said behaviour.
It is very difficult to "rise above" no matter how hard we try.

My biggest fear of an 'after-life' is being asked "Why did you give up ?"

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
We are limited to one day a week and "event travel" not to exceed 5000 miles per year. Also have no inspections for them and a lifetime registration of $75.
My daily driver is a Kia GTX. LOL
It's a bit stricter here, but I have no idea about enforcement. But I drive mine every weekend, so I don't want to take a chance.

Vehicles over 30 years old are exempt from inspections, regardless of the type of registration.

I have a fancy daily driver. And an '06 Mustang GT coupe, white with red interior.

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
My Vette is registered as an 'Antique Car' so the insurance is only $100 per year.
Wondering if your old car is an antique and whether or not it classifies for the Antique Exempt status from your state. Whether or not your car is considered an antique depends on who you're asking and what state you live in. On the average, though, for a car to be considered a "Classic Car" it must be at least 25 years old, and 50 years old for it to be considered an "Antique Car". However, some states consider anything made after the end of the Forties a Classic, and anything from 1949 back to be an Antique. While other states will push that back to anything made prior to 1940 is an Antique, and anything 1940 and newer is only a classic.
_______

Your car isn't 50 years old so it's clearly not an "antique car".

Another Lamb Chop lie exposed. Go figure!!!

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
It's all about that loooooooong, beautiful hood.
And yes, it's gotta be green.
The XK-120 and XK-150s are awesome too.
At one car show I got first place and an XKE got Best in Show. I would have given both trophies to the Jag. Way out of my league.

If I could have any car in the world though, it would be a '73 Ferrari 308-GTB.'Teen dreams' I guess.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. when someone has researched or attained an advanced education in any specific area, they are qualified to critique or advance a philosophy on that specific subject be it homosexuality or Christianity ..
.. my knowledge and education in this specific area is advanced. When someone claims pedophilia is a major contributing factor to homosexuality, I KNOW they are incorrect ..
.. when placed in the wrong hands, a little knowledge can be very dangerous to society ..
I was not questioning your knowledge

And of course anybody has the right to correct something they believe is wrong

But you seemed to be saying Deb should not even have an opinion on it and defer to you because you are gay, just like she would be offended if you spoke to things about Christianity she found offensive.

Yet those outside the faith, including you, almost never defer to those the faith simply because they are of the faith

Personally, it would have made more sense to me and been more consistent with past approaches had you simply said you have studied this in depth and feel she is incorrect. Because the reason you are really saying she should defer isn't so much just that you are gay so naturally you must know more about it but rather you know more about it because you have studied it.

I can tell you up-front this is not some side-angle trying to start a fight.

I simply was curious when I saw you used the example you did and said she should defer to you. Clearly nobody has been deferring to anybody so why now I guess was what I was curious about and based on what decides when someone should defer?

Because while curious why now people should suddenly respect some boundaries for deferring was really almost secondary. I think it can be equally as dangerous to what you mentioned when people assume simply being part of a group makes them an expert and automatically means they know more than anyone else outside the group.

So understanding more about when you think people should defer and why was going to help me address that

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Judged:

Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
Wondering if your old car is an antique and whether or not it classifies for the Antique Exempt status from your state. Whether or not your car is considered an antique depends on who you're asking and what state you live in. On the average, though, for a car to be considered a "Classic Car" it must be at least 25 years old, and 50 years old for it to be considered an "Antique Car". However, some states consider anything made after the end of the Forties a Classic, and anything from 1949 back to be an Antique. While other states will push that back to anything made prior to 1940 is an Antique, and anything 1940 and newer is only a classic.
_______
Do you assert ownership of this topic?

You have credentials?

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
That what my Torino had, still have my plate , transferable as you know. My T-Bird is still too young for it ,though...
You owe me a ride in the T-Bird this spring. <smile>

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I agree there is quite a difference between belief and fact
All I was saying is that even with a belief system, there are facts about group. And someone being part of a group doesn't necessarily mean they are automatically an expert on those facts or automatically more knowledgeable than someone outside the group in every aspect.
If someone is a Christian and didn't know Catholic was largest denomination in the United States yet an atheist knew that, then in the one case the atheist would know more about Christianity in regards to that than someone in the faith. Just because someone is in the faith doesn't mean they automatically know everything there is to know. And sometimes there is no disputing who knew a particular fact.
If someone is gay and didn't know that it was a Surpreme court ruling in 2003 that led to Massachusetts being the first state to recognize same-sex marriage yet someone who isn't gay knew that, in that one case the person who was straight knew more about the history concerning homosexuality in America than someone who is gay
So my point was basically that regardless what group someone is in, there are two categories (and one more i will bring up in a minute)
1) Facts - which don't change and whoever knows them would have just as much right to state them, regardless of their group
2) Individual truths - someone in a group is going to know more about some things than someone who is not. I would defer to someone who is gay on the subject of what is it like to be gay in Western society. I could learn this or that but bottom line is, someone who is gay is going to be able to speak to that way more than someone who isn't. Just like a believer is going to be able to speak way more to why they believe than an atheist claiming to know why people believe.
And then I would think everything else pretty much falls into a final category. Anything that isn't based on fact or personal experience, is subjective and people will all have their own opinions. For example, what affect does homosexuality have on society? Or what affect does Christianity have on Society? Those things are subjective. And I think people have a right to their opinion on things that are subjective and don't have to defer. But they do have to defer if they are going to essentially speak for someone else and they have to defer to the person they are speaking for
Good post! Thanks!

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
_______
Yes. It is registered as antique. 25 years and older is antique in PA.

Here is the Penn DOT document to prove it:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_she...

Do you ever tire of lying about me ?

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

BTW, Coffey,

Senecus has driven my Vette.

Do you have the balls to call him a liar too ?

May God grant you a morsel of integrity.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You assert ownership of this topic?
You have credentials?
As usual

1) You have no idea what you are talking about

2) You posted to me unsolicited looking to to fight

3) You interrupted a civil exchange to do so

So when you start crying next time and looking for sympathy, please keep it in mind

You never answered yesterday's question. Why was it so important to you to stop peace that you would to pressure and guilt a friend in the way you did to try to prevent it? I have seen you use that tactic on other friends so obviously you don't mind trying to use a friendship against someone to do what you want and not what they want to do. But you broke your word when it didn't work. So did you know all along you were never actually going to leave and were just trying to get your way?

“ Xue Rengui”

Since: Oct 09

Khitan extraordinaire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You owe me a ride in the T-Bird this spring. <smile>
I'll return the favour, you'll get to drive :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo,we have a winner! Correct , his old man did it to him (and my uncles). That half placed "value" in 'solving' issues with fists and gloves. I think you understand, part of the 'heritage' in some ways ;)
But curiously , not all involved (uncles) carried on the "tradition". Some couldn't (no sons), others seemed to 'mellow' in areas, yet all wouldn't hesitate to go at each other for a perceived offence. On the exterior , one would never suspect less than civility from them, all but one was professional(7 brothers)and carried themselves to the part.
I imagine much comes into play - nurture,socioeconomic times, mindset of the era, ect.
Yet, "chains" of such behavioural patterns, generationally, can be altered, for some of the very reasons you list, particularly one abhorrence to a said behaviour.
Wile it may not be the case in some situations, my own experience from what I have gone thru, seen, and simply feel is that people most often can break from a cycle when new people enter their lives and their learning process is so impacted by the person that otherwise might be the reason they repeated the cycle themselves

For instance, if you dad and uncles were the only authority figures in your life or people you would receive instruction and guidance from, I would think it much less likely your personal morals would develop independently to the point that you would outright reject such a learned pattern of behavior. Normally someone needs someone else in their life to reinforce that they are nut crazy or mistaken for thinking such behavior is wrong. They need someone else that is setting an example they want to follow to see there is a much better way. And someone else bring love and confidence to someone who has been subjected to things helps that person to be their own man

And some people may not need anybody else. Maybe it is as simple as they knew they didn't like it and their own natural sense of morals tells them the basic common sense understanding that if you didn't like it, why would you then do it to someone you loved knowing they wouldn't like it

If you don't mind me prying as I am interested from a sociological aspect as well as personal just from knowing you, what helped you break the cycle? Were their other people in your life that helped you in your opinion to reject these lessons taught from childhood? Or did you do it on your own?

I think we can do it on our own. But I also think its possible to just think we did because if not for having people instill basic morality, we might never think to question it. Even if someone didn't like it, they might think it is just part of life and how things are to be done. Anyway, just curious if you had to really narrow it down, what helped you break the pattern?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Good post! Thanks!
:)

“Love much, trust none”

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 16, 2013

Senecus wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll return the favour, you'll get to drive :)
Thanks! I look forward to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

629 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min New Age Spiritual Leader 533,397
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min waaasssuuup 722,000
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 8 min JudgeNJury 256,910
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 10 min Zioni 115,570
Who is Bsquared? 12 min Bsquared2 1
Does anyone do incest sex with your sister (Apr '12) 17 min evanssean 122
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 26 min Strength and Honor 172,533
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 35 min waaasssuuup 224,553
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••