Since: Jul 11

There

#605156 Nov 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed
<quoted text>
In what sense specifically?
I think it has been used, either as a reason or at least a justification, in the past throughout history
Although I tend to see a lot of it as more of a political movement disguised as a religious one a lot of times too
For example, the IRA.
In America I think there is very little religious oppression. If anything, a lot of laws in recent times have favored the secular.
Could an argument be made that some people in politics are motivated in part by their religion to favor things that could be considered oppression? Perhaps. Although I also am very skeptical those same people would do anything different even if religion was not in the equation
I don't see much in the way or organized religious oppression. By which I mean no religion in the U.S. has some sort of official agenda to oppress anyone. Although I think there are individuals that use the pulpit so-to-speak to try to advance certain agendas. But I don't think that is the norm, which is why it normally makes the news
Why don't you tell me exactly some of the things you would use as an example and where and then I can respond more specifically
Have to agree with you.

The candidacy and defeat of Romney supports a dramatic shift in the roe of religion in USA politics.
UIDIOTRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#605158 Nov 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed
<quoted text>
In what sense specifically?
I think it has been used, either as a reason or at least a justification, in the past throughout history
Although I tend to see a lot of it as more of a political movement disguised as a religious one a lot of times too
For example, the IRA.
In America I think there is very little religious oppression. If anything, a lot of laws in recent times have favored the secular.
Could an argument be made that some people in politics are motivated in part by their religion to favor things that could be considered oppression? Perhaps. Although I also am very skeptical those same people would do anything different even if religion was not in the equation
I don't see much in the way or organized religious oppression. By which I mean no religion in the U.S. has some sort of official agenda to oppress anyone. Although I think there are individuals that use the pulpit so-to-speak to try to advance certain agendas. But I don't think that is the norm, which is why it normally makes the news
Why don't you tell me exactly some of the things you would use as an example and where and then I can respond more specifically
iNTERJECTING! Hope you don't mind, you must be asleep at wheel again or just not telling , which one ? you protecting evil? Hmmmmmm! Abahaahhaaa
!

EXPLAIN OUR AMERICA RIGHT WING CHRISTIAN INVASIONs - AGENDAS AND DANGERS as PERMEATES US govt/military and institutions , and its consequences

“Love much, trust none”

There

#605159 Nov 3, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
if you are not sure who I am?
it would be good to advice you,
just shut your poor face(Schnauze) and listen dr Shrink remarks, like radio of free America transmissions against China communists,or jihadists mania from Washington DC
kapisho Bumba Po pee pee??
We read your words but all we see is:

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#605162 Nov 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Th trend in the USA now is to use location and finances to distinguish groups.
Urban, rural, suburban, metropolitan, etc.
Low income, middle class, upper class, ruling class, etc.
Fortunately, the ethic/racial gap is closing in the USA.
I agree with that, although I think a lot of people don't seem to realize that is the case

We are slowly but surely becoming a two-class country

There are those in power and those that aren't

When 80%-90% of the country is basically fighting over the scraps from the master's table, it makes little difference what color their skin is or what their ethnicity is or what their gender is.

It is sad to say but it almost takes a leveling effect for people to realize this and even then a lot of times they don't

Race relations were very good in the jail I was in. The jumpsuits were orange and people sued to say "we are all just orange in here" when it came to issues of race. Or basically when it came to any internal conflict, that was pretty much the motto to try to diffuse it.

Nothing about who we were on the outside mattered in there.
All of us had lost our freedom. All of us missed loved ones. All of us wanted to be home. All of us were subject to the whims of those in charge, who often abused that power. It was stupid to fight amongst ourselves when we were all in the same boat. It just made for harder time.

Of course not everybody bought into that but a lot of people did.

And that is how I see society. 95% of the wealth is controlled by 5% of the population. And the 95% is all trying to make ends meet, all want many of the same things in life, and normally face an uphill battle against the powers-that-be that have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. So why fight amongst ourselves? Not only it makes no sense and is counter-productive, it is exactly what those in power want. When we are too busy fighting with each other or distracted, those in government and in power can pretty much do what they want

I am not suggested all powerful or rich people are evil. But most people will support things that benefit them. And the system benefits the rich and powerful because they have the biggest impact on making the rules and designed it that way.

People want change but some don't seem to understand nobody is going to do it all for us. We need to pull together as a people. We need to get involved. We need to demand a better system. What we don't need to do is have pointless distractions based on misplaced pride and easily manipulated emotions. Sometimes i wonder what it will take for some to see something that I feel is so obvious and has been going on for a very long time

The closing gap in other areas should help towards this goal. Hopefully anyway
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#605163 Nov 3, 2013
Romans 5:6  ¶For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8  But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9  Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10  For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11  And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#605164 Nov 3, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
Romans 5:1  ¶Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
2  By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
Evening Here for Now;

Tis cold out here tonight. Think some of that fuffy white stuff on it way. Just keep your eye on God the signs shows more and more everyday. And more and more is being exposed. The wonder of it all huh. God bless you always loveya lil whispers.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#605166 Nov 3, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. poop ??..
YA. And then some...

Location hidden

#605167 Nov 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Have to agree with you.
The candidacy and defeat of Romney supports a dramatic shift in the roe of religion in USA politics.
I think some people at least are starting to feel that what faith someone is doesn't necessarily make it the number one criteria on who to vote for

While I understand wanting elected officials we feel share our values and morals and overall beliefs, at the same time they have a job to do. And if they can't do it, won't do it, or are not qualified to do it, then what good does sharing the same faith do?

Although I don't think it is just faith, I think it is everything. Like with Bush Jr when he ran against Gore, the mantra among some was "who would you rather have a beer with?"

Who gives a crap about who I would rather have a beer with. I need someone to run the country not be my buddy or someone I want to go to the movies with. And I am not even commenting on Bush as a person or on the job he did as president. I am simply saying that is a stupid thing to base a vote on. The president needs to be someone that can do his job and do what is best for the 330 million people he represents. There is too much at stake to engage in the luxury of voting based on who we think has the better personality

And when it comes to faith, anybody can claim to be anything. I have no idea how serious their walk is, only God knows that. Which is why it is between them and God. So while its fine and well if someone shares my faith, if they want to run this country, they better convince me they know how to do that. At least better than the other guy. Although even that unfortunately gets negated a lot by the 2-party system but that's a whole different conversation

“Love much, trust none”

There

#605168 Nov 3, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
my posts reveal only my stinking farts.....
Yes. We all agree on that.

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#605169 Nov 3, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
if you are not sure who I am?
it would be good to advice you,
just shut your poor face(Schnauze) and listen dr Shrink remarks, like radio of free America transmissions against China communists,or jihadists mania from Washington DC
kapisho Bumba Po pee pee??
kapisho Bumba Po pee pee?

What?... Did you wet your pants again?

“Love much, trust none”

There

#605170 Nov 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with that, although I think a lot of people don't seem to realize that is the case
We are slowly but surely becoming a two-class country
There are those in power and those that aren't
When 80%-90% of the country is basically fighting over the scraps from the master's table, it makes little difference what color their skin is or what their ethnicity is or what their gender is.
It is sad to say but it almost takes a leveling effect for people to realize this and even then a lot of times they don't
Race relations were very good in the jail I was in. The jumpsuits were orange and people sued to say "we are all just orange in here" when it came to issues of race. Or basically when it came to any internal conflict, that was pretty much the motto to try to diffuse it.
Nothing about who we were on the outside mattered in there.
All of us had lost our freedom. All of us missed loved ones. All of us wanted to be home. All of us were subject to the whims of those in charge, who often abused that power. It was stupid to fight amongst ourselves when we were all in the same boat. It just made for harder time.
Of course not everybody bought into that but a lot of people did.
And that is how I see society. 95% of the wealth is controlled by 5% of the population. And the 95% is all trying to make ends meet, all want many of the same things in life, and normally face an uphill battle against the powers-that-be that have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. So why fight amongst ourselves? Not only it makes no sense and is counter-productive, it is exactly what those in power want. When we are too busy fighting with each other or distracted, those in government and in power can pretty much do what they want
I am not suggested all powerful or rich people are evil. But most people will support things that benefit them. And the system benefits the rich and powerful because they have the biggest impact on making the rules and designed it that way.
People want change but some don't seem to understand nobody is going to do it all for us. We need to pull together as a people. We need to get involved. We need to demand a better system. What we don't need to do is have pointless distractions based on misplaced pride and easily manipulated emotions. Sometimes i wonder what it will take for some to see something that I feel is so obvious and has been going on for a very long time
The closing gap in other areas should help towards this goal. Hopefully anyway
Agreed.

As an aside, one of my sociology professors got me a scholarship for "ethnic diversity". I asked him why he selected a "white student". He replied, "It has nothing to do with race, it has do with erasing race as a social construct."

It is a very slow process but is happening.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#605171 Nov 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
OK
Thanks.
Mexico is a city in Missouri... Missouri is in the United States of America...the United states of America is in North America (excepting 2)Missouri is in North America....
Mexico is in North America.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#605172 Nov 3, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
Romans 5:6  ¶For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
7  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
8  But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
9  Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
10  For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
11  And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received the atonement.
I'll take that as a "No" to my Jesus question.

Location hidden

#605173 Nov 3, 2013
And the angel showed me a pure river with the water of life, clear as crystal, from the throne of God and of the lamb, coursing down the center of the main street.

On each side of the river grew a tree of life bearing twelve crops of fruit with a fresh crop each month. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations.

No longer will anything be cursed. For the throne of God and the Lamb will be there and his servants will worship him. And they will see his face and his name will be written on their foreheads.

And there will be no night there, no need for lamps or sun for the Lord God will shine on them.
And they will reign forever and ever.

Then the angel said to me. These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord God who tells his prophets what the future holds has sent his angel to tell you what will happen soon.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#605174 Nov 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I think some people at least are starting to feel that what faith someone is doesn't necessarily make it the number one criteria on who to vote for
While I understand wanting elected officials we feel share our values and morals and overall beliefs, at the same time they have a job to do. And if they can't do it, won't do it, or are not qualified to do it, then what good does sharing the same faith do?
Although I don't think it is just faith, I think it is everything. Like with Bush Jr when he ran against Gore, the mantra among some was "who would you rather have a beer with?"
Who gives a crap about who I would rather have a beer with. I need someone to run the country not be my buddy or someone I want to go to the movies with. And I am not even commenting on Bush as a person or on the job he did as president. I am simply saying that is a stupid thing to base a vote on. The president needs to be someone that can do his job and do what is best for the 330 million people he represents. There is too much at stake to engage in the luxury of voting based on who we think has the better personality
And when it comes to faith, anybody can claim to be anything. I have no idea how serious their walk is, only God knows that. Which is why it is between them and God. So while its fine and well if someone shares my faith, if they want to run this country, they better convince me they know how to do that. At least better than the other guy. Although even that unfortunately gets negated a lot by the 2-party system but that's a whole different conversation
Agreed.
I would vote for the Pope for President if I was convinced it would be good for our country and that he could put aside his religion in matters of State.

Location hidden

#605175 Nov 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
I think that is more about nationalism and security, even though I don't agree with it

There would be no controversy if someone wanted to build a Buddhist temple. And yet the same religious arguments could still be used. Which is why I don't think it is a religious argument being made.

Some people see all or most Muslims as a threat to our safety and to our country and don't want to give them somewhere to set up shop. There was no religious movement against Muslims prior to 9-11 and I don't think it is a religious movement now

I think they should be allowed to build

But I also concede things are not so black and white. As natural as it may seem to cringe as profiling, there are also times where there is a practical side to it and a recognition that the profile exists for a reason.

To me, some things, even our safety, are not worth sacrificing part of who we should be as a country. But at the same time I can say that if it comes to my own safety. It is harder to do when it concerns others.

Could you imagine if there was a terrorist attack and it traced back to this mosque? It would be insanity. Although without any evidence prior that there is a link, I really don't see the grounds for stopping it

However I would also say, why there? To me it is like the same thing as someone going to court and stopping hundreds of kids from having a Christmas play because the parents of one child are atheist and don't like it. Yeah they can do that I guess but seems awfully selfish to me And here, you got people building a mosque two blocks from ground zero.

And while not all Muslims are terrorists, it is two blocks from where 3,000 people were killed in the name of the Muslim faith by those who claimed they did it as an act of faith. So obviously it is hard for people not to remember that. And should people have to go to visit the site of where loved ones were murdered while listening to religious bells going off that are celebrating the faith they were killed in the name of? To me that is like someone saying, what's the problem with flying a German flag next door to a concentration camp that people still go to in order to mourn the dead and to remember what happened?

It just seems selfish and unnecessary to me. Yes Muslims in general were not behind the attack. But why put a reminder right there? I don't want to see the law circumvented or to see them prevented from building because it would create a very slippery slope and set a real bad precedent that could be repeated in situations not even close to the same. But in kind of feels like a big "F-you" to decide to pick that spot.

Even if people visiting ground zero that lost loved ones don't blame all Muslims, as I am sure some don't, I think basic sensitivity would be to allow them their place of mourning and not have to try to process and separate the emotions of seeing people celebrate the very thing their loved ones were said to be killed for

JMO anyway

Location hidden

#605176 Nov 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
As an aside, one of my sociology professors got me a scholarship for "ethnic diversity". I asked him why he selected a "white student". He replied, "It has nothing to do with race, it has do with erasing race as a social construct."
It is a very slow process but is happening.
Fingers crossed my friend

But it does appear to be happening. Slowly but surely

(T) Peace

“Love much, trust none”

There

#605177 Nov 3, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
And the angel showed me a pure river with the water of life, clear as crystal, from the throne of God and of the lamb, coursing down the center of the main street.
On each side of the river grew a tree of life bearing twelve crops of fruit with a fresh crop each month. The leaves were used for medicine to heal the nations.
No longer will anything be cursed. For the throne of God and the Lamb will be there and his servants will worship him. And they will see his face and his name will be written on their foreheads.
And there will be no night there, no need for lamps or sun for the Lord God will shine on them.
And they will reign forever and ever.
Then the angel said to me. These words are trustworthy and true. The Lord God who tells his prophets what the future holds has sent his angel to tell you what will happen soon.
I knew a guy who talked with angels until they treated his schizophrenia.
I feel bad for the poor sick fellow in your post. Did he finally get help ?

Location hidden

#605178 Nov 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed.
I would vote for the Pope for President if I was convinced it would be good for our country and that he could put aside his religion in matters of State.
Exactly

What the president does as an individual or what he is like is way less important to me than the job he will do as president

Location hidden

#605179 Nov 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I knew a guy who talked with angels until they treated his schizophrenia.
I feel bad for the poor sick fellow in your post. Did he finally get help ?
Your ignored, May God excuse you for your hatefulness of the metal ill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min RoSesz 579,126
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 min Hidingfromyou 817,636
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 24 min Pegasus 270,136
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 58 min dollarsbill 1,988
Destroying Colored People In America And Across... 1 hr combas 12
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 1 hr Ruby88 53,327
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Student 39,960
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr transdem0n 176,208
More from around the web