Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#604319 Oct 30, 2013
BTW,

Jesus and Joshua are as closely related as Will and Bill.

Simply variations on the exact same root name.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#604320 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Je" (closer to "Ha") is a Hebrew prefix that indicates something close to "relating to God". It is not a name of, or for, God.
Put aside the 'belief differences' and you might be surprised that I have something to offer you. You might teach me a thing or too as well.
Me?! Learn something?!?

And you said you were gonna be nicer....

:)

“"None shall pass"”

There

#604321 Oct 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Me?! Learn something?!?
And you said you were gonna be nicer....
I have decide to try to treat you and others here with the respect and caring I give my students. I am a 'purfesser' so I should act like one, right ?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#604322 Oct 30, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Skombolis,
I wondered where you were at, on vacation, taking a brake or what. I figured you would show back up when the time was right for you. But it good to see you back in here.
You are right we don’t always realize when God has put someone in our lives for His reasons.:)
All is good and hope it’s good with you too.
HFN

Yeah, just decided to take some time off. The length wasn't really planned out, just hadn't thought much about it after being off a bit. I had not planned on returning to post but had stopped in to check something. In doing so I realized I had missed seeing people. And while the amount of posts are down, it would appear a lot of people are looking for a break from the stress as well and it shows in the postings.

With the loss of loved ones, both two and four-legged, health issues, and just life in general it would appear perspective has become the theme. I don't expect Topix to morph into all hand-holding and skipping but it is nice to see the foot come off the gas a little when taking runs at one another. There is enough real things to deal with in life, no reason we can't be a little nicer to one another in an online forum

I have been thinking about God putting people in our lives a lot lately since your post. And that not only it is important to look at people in that potential light but not to take for granted all the people He has already put in our path. The business of life can be challenging at times. But it is well worth the effort. And when considering the handful of things that truly matter, life is very good.

(T) Peace

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#604323 Oct 30, 2013
Question for Christians here: Do you acknowledge/participate in Halloween? I have heard people say it's a pagan thing, and I thought some people would think it's heretical.

On the other hand, it has morphed in our culture into one more holiday to celebrate, and the costumes and graveyard scary/humor make it kind of cool.

So. Halloween, yes or no?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#604324 Oct 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Question for Christians here: Do you acknowledge/participate in Halloween? I have heard people say it's a pagan thing, and I thought some people would think it's heretical.
On the other hand, it has morphed in our culture into one more holiday to celebrate, and the costumes and graveyard scary/humor make it kind of cool.
So. Halloween, yes or no?
I dreaded Halloween this year. I did not want any dramatic reminder of the Specter of Death facing me at every turn.

It will now be to me a reminder (at least once a year) of the proximity of death... and how precious life is.

That IMHO is neither a Christian nor a pagan belief, merely a human reality.

Location hidden

#604325 Oct 30, 2013
HALLOWEEN IS OK FOR CHRISTIANS

Halloween isn't being observed in connection with any religious connotations. It is now simply a secular activity mainly centered around children for entertainment

Halloween used to be a Celtic ritual at the end of summer that signified the end of summer and sacrifices to the gods. It was believed spirits would roam the earth and the only way to avoid their wrath was to be disguised as one of them. This took place on November 1st. Now that day is what is known in Catholicism as All Saints Day. Although that was predicated on a belief in what later became known as Purgatory. At the time it was considered Limbo and people would go door-to-door asking for small things (food items) in exchange for saying prayer. The prayers were meant for the souls awaiting entrance into Heaven.

The RCC no longer teaches Purgatory is literal, but rather symbolic of the cleaning process where a person's foundation undergoes a purification. The bad works are burnt away and all that remains is the foundation in Christ (1Corinthians 3:11-15) and because Revelation 21:27 says nothing impure will enter Heaven.

Over the years the only part of this tradition that remained was the idea that was borrowed from the door-to-door exchange. But instead of food for prayers it became trick or treat. And the day was moved to October 31 to further sever any connection to the spiritual origins. It is now simply a secular activity woven into the fabric of Western culture.

So let your kids dress up in costumes and have fun being kids. Go with them to ensure their safety and check the candy to make sure it is safe. It is a completely innocuous activity for kids to enjoy being kids. When you take their mask off and see the huge grin underneath, the answer should be self-evident.

Jesus loved the children. I have no doubt their giggles and squeals of glee when dressing up with their friends and enjoying their time of innocence is a joy their earthy parents and their spiritual Father as well both find pleasure in

(T) Peace

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#604326 Oct 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Malala - 14 year old girl (at the time) who was shot by the Taliban and survived for speaking out for education for women and against the Taliban bombing and leveling schools. 2 minute clip on her reaction when asked what her reaction was when she found out she was targeted by the Taliban. From the mouths of babes.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15u92h_mala...
She's one of my heroes, that one.

Location hidden

#604327 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I dreaded Halloween this year. I did not want any dramatic reminder of the Specter of Death facing me at every turn.
It will now be to me a reminder (at least once a year) of the proximity of death... and how precious life is.
I can see why the symbolism could be a little unnerving under the circumstances. Although I'm sure anything that is an annual milestone serves as a reminder both of another year of the gift of life and the inevitable ticking clock. All the more reason to cherish every day
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
That IMHO is neither a Christian nor a pagan belief, merely a human reality.
Agreed

The cultural meaning has long been separated from its origins. It simply is what it is now. A day where kids dress up and get candy

(T) Peace

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#604328 Oct 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
Halloween isn't being observed in connection with any religious connotations. It is now simply a secular activity mainly centered around children for entertainment
Halloween used to be a Celtic ritual at the end of summer that signified the end of summer and sacrifices to the gods. It was believed spirits would roam the earth and the only way to avoid their wrath was to be disguised as one of them. This took place on November 1st. Now that day is what is known in Catholicism as All Saints Day. Although that was predicated on a belief in what later became known as Purgatory. At the time it was considered Limbo and people would go door-to-door asking for small things (food items) in exchange for saying prayer. The prayers were meant for the souls awaiting entrance into Heaven.
The RCC no longer teaches Purgatory is literal, but rather symbolic of the cleaning process where a person's foundation undergoes a purification. The bad works are burnt away and all that remains is the foundation in Christ (1Corinthians 3:11-15) and because Revelation 21:27 says nothing impure will enter Heaven.
Over the years the only part of this tradition that remained was the idea that was borrowed from the door-to-door exchange. But instead of food for prayers it became trick or treat. And the day was moved to October 31 to further sever any connection to the spiritual origins. It is now simply a secular activity woven into the fabric of Western culture.
So let your kids dress up in costumes and have fun being kids. Go with them to ensure their safety and check the candy to make sure it is safe. It is a completely innocuous activity for kids to enjoy being kids. When you take their mask off and see the huge grin underneath, the answer should be self-evident.
Jesus loved the children. I have no doubt their giggles and squeals of glee when dressing up with their friends and enjoying their time of innocence is a joy their earthy parents and their spiritual Father as well both find pleasure in
(T) Peace
That's how I feel.

I was just worried about religious people who might feel threatened somehow.

For me, as long as the trick-or-treating is over by around 7:30, and I don't get too many adults filling up pillowcases.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#604329 Oct 30, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Viral load is now undetectable. Excellent sign.
Will have to continue on chemo for another 6-8 months but looks I will be cured. Will be taking a medical sabbatical for the last semester of school.
2 thumbs up, Ben!!! All the best!

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#604330 Oct 30, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We had two horses, Damian and BigBoy. Old Damers died back in June. He was really old, about 30.
Yes, Cheyenne is the pooch in the pic, that's about 4 or 5 years old.
I'm sorry about her, cute.

But Cheyenne wouldn't want you to be sad. She would lick your face - if she could.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#604331 Oct 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
So, in a homosexual way?
I thought you were bisexual.
I get the impression he would stick it in any hole - including the one in the wall.

Location hidden

#604332 Oct 30, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
She's one of my heroes, that one.
She is an inspiring young woman

If you are interested in the complete 16 minute plus interview, it is below

Powerful stuff

Location hidden

#604333 Oct 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's how I feel.
I was just worried about religious people who might feel threatened somehow.
For me, as long as the trick-or-treating is over by around 7:30, and I don't get too many adults filling up pillowcases.
I think adults sometimes over-think things and tend to squeeze all the fun out of stuff unnecessarily

Sometimes it is just as simple as it seems. Kids dressing up in costumes with their friends and getting candy.

I am sure people could find reasons to object to just about anything. But going back 2000 years or so to dig up some origin that has nothing to do with the holiday today seems to me like working really hard to find a problem where there isn't one

But to each their own I suppose. Parents obviously will do what they think is best. But my advice would be for them to lighten up a little. The kids don't know about the background and certainly are not going out trying to disguise themselves as demons

Catcher1

Redondo Beach, CA

#604334 Oct 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I think adults sometimes over-think things and tend to squeeze all the fun out of stuff unnecessarily
Sometimes it is just as simple as it seems. Kids dressing up in costumes with their friends and getting candy.
I am sure people could find reasons to object to just about anything. But going back 2000 years or so to dig up some origin that has nothing to do with the holiday today seems to me like working really hard to find a problem where there isn't one
But to each their own I suppose. Parents obviously will do what they think is best. But my advice would be for them to lighten up a little. The kids don't know about the background and certainly are not going out trying to disguise themselves as demons
I agree.

But it's important to evaluate carefully how much candy you need to buy.

You don't want to run out, but you don't want to be left with a big stash of lousy candy.

Location hidden

#604335 Oct 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Some adults go to the door for their kid as the kid waits so the adult can see exactly what is being put in the bag. Although I used to hand it out personally but I'd be surprised of adults tried scamming extra
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree.
But it's important to evaluate carefully how much candy you need to buy.
You don't want to run out, but you don't want to be left with a big stash of lousy candy.
Just do what I did. I used to spend like $50 and keep the light on for 2 hours max. At two hours, the last kid(s) to come to the door got what was left. You don't have to keep the extra candy.

You run a tight ship on Halloween! I bet the kids that get caught trying to hit your house up twice don't make that mistake the next year! You probably got their pictures up on a wall of shame! LOL

JK

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#604336 Oct 30, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, when there is a bad flood I don’t need to take part in it by jumping in the water to see what it’s like and if I want to take part in one some day. I already know what a flood is and that I don’t want to be washed away. I’ll just stay somewhere high and dry and not be waste my time or be stupid enough to jump in when I already know I don’t want to be in its destructiveness. And I don’t need anyone’s permission not to either.:)
HFN
Perfectly put, my Quin Sister ~ been missing everyone but dropped in to say "Howdy" and "Happy Halloween"... Love as always, SeRaH

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#604337 Oct 30, 2013
Old School Granny wrote:
<quoted text>
Ironically he knew exactly what I meant too -- but just thought I'd clarify anyway -- he was nice enough to ask.
Thank You Jesus for our friendship Serah -- if we don't get to meet down here, I will know you right off when we get HOME!!!
TLC
We'll meet, I can feel it in my bones :) And we will be dancing the happy dance xxx

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#604338 Oct 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
(T) Peace
The church originally called it Allhallowmas. A mass was said for all hallows(saints) that are hallowed. Naturally, the evening before was called Allhallows eve. Now shortened to "Halloween", and also known as "All Saints Day".
In the Pagan tradition, it is the sabbat festival honoring the past ancestors in death, and the marking of the end harvest, bringing in of the herds, and the preparation for the death before rebirth of the earth seasons. The time to "tie up" all lose ends of the year at it's end, and make ready for a new beginning physically and spiritually.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Couple in dallas tx looking for a female to hav... (Jan '15) 5 min rmmslat 2
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 20 min nanoanomaly 987,439
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Phooey 687,432
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 hr Aura Mytha 31,641
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 3 hr Ricky F 39,265
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 3 hr Johnny 6
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 3 hr Johnny 32
More from around the web