“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#601582 Oct 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is white trash a racist insult?
And what's brown trash all about?
THe big, badass lawyer doesn't know that 'white trash' is an insult?

Don't play coy, Catch. You exposed your racism. Own it.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#601583 Oct 16, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =v0_qZtJdqzUXX
Come up for air
Breath deeply
The wonder of it all.
Hey Lady.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#601584 Oct 16, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think it is incorrect?
Others will say it is actually more accurate.
Here...
http://evangelicalbible.com/why.htm
The English Standard Version (ESV), in contrast to most modern translations, is not entirely "new." The ESV is the product of a rich translation legacy which spans some 500 years. The beginning of this heritage was William Tyndale's New Testament (1526). The starting point for the ESV was the 1971 Revised Standard Version (RSV). Over 90 percent of the RSV is retained in the ESV. The RSV was regarded by many as the best modern translation in terms of precision and literary elegance.
The ESV improves upon the RSV in 3 important ways.
(I will let you read for yourself the 3 ways they claim it is improved.)
Summary (back to the article)
The ESV is a grand "improvement" upon centuries of English Bible translations. With a zeal for faithfulness to the original text, and a desire for traditional literary excellence, the ESV is the best modern translation in the English language. We have attempted to explain why these qualities are essential to Bible translation.
An "essentially literal" translation attempts to make the original biblical languages as transparent as possible to the reader. It gives the reader the best view of the original wording of the biblical writers. The focus of the "essentially literal" translation is on word-for-word precision. On the other end of the translation spectrum, are versions which attempt to translate the ideas of the biblical authors. These are often characterized as thought-for-thought translations. Most translations fall somewhere within this continuum. It is true that less literal translations may be more "readable," but often at the expense of accuracy and intended cross reference. The ESV is a superb choice for those who hold transparency to the original text, as a premium for an excellent translation.
I guess it is no wonder that I am no longer a Christian...I was raised on the KJV...I hear it is no longer considered the "true word of God"...or something like that.
Hey Annie.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#601585 Oct 16, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think it is incorrect?
Others will say it is actually more accurate.
Here...
http://evangelicalbible.com/why.htm
The English Standard Version (ESV), in contrast to most modern translations, is not entirely "new." The ESV is the product of a rich translation legacy which spans some 500 years. The beginning of this heritage was William Tyndale's New Testament (1526). The starting point for the ESV was the 1971 Revised Standard Version (RSV). Over 90 percent of the RSV is retained in the ESV. The RSV was regarded by many as the best modern translation in terms of precision and literary elegance.
The ESV improves upon the RSV in 3 important ways.
(I will let you read for yourself the 3 ways they claim it is improved.)
Summary (back to the article)
The ESV is a grand "improvement" upon centuries of English Bible translations. With a zeal for faithfulness to the original text, and a desire for traditional literary excellence, the ESV is the best modern translation in the English language. We have attempted to explain why these qualities are essential to Bible translation.
An "essentially literal" translation attempts to make the original biblical languages as transparent as possible to the reader. It gives the reader the best view of the original wording of the biblical writers. The focus of the "essentially literal" translation is on word-for-word precision. On the other end of the translation spectrum, are versions which attempt to translate the ideas of the biblical authors. These are often characterized as thought-for-thought translations. Most translations fall somewhere within this continuum. It is true that less literal translations may be more "readable," but often at the expense of accuracy and intended cross reference. The ESV is a superb choice for those who hold transparency to the original text, as a premium for an excellent translation.
I guess it is no wonder that I am no longer a Christian...I was raised on the KJV...I hear it is no longer considered the "true word of God"...or something like that.
I think it's a less reiable translation for reasons like theone we're discussing. The ESV mistranslates it to "immitate" when it should be "follow".

There are a lot of errors, human errors, in the ESV.

The KJV is a medieval translation, written by medieval minds. It's extremely crude and outdated.

it's not The Word of God that's messed up, it's simple human error.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#601586 Oct 16, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
LOL
Hey RR,
I use to like to skip. I haven’t tried it in a long time. Maybe I will. It might still be fun.:)
How are you doing RR?
Fantastic! tyfa

How are you?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#601587 Oct 16, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
You still haven't explained why it's racist.
You know that white trash is a racist term.

You used it, racist.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#601588 Oct 16, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Your post was pointless. I thank you for illustrating it!:)
would you like me better if i had a muff?:-(

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#601589 Oct 16, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
When you take God's order, do you find yourself asking, "Would you like fries with that"?
funny, i guess, but of course disrepectful & blasphemous.

then all y'all wonder & whine "why are these cristers so mean to us lesbos....wah wah wah...."

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#601590 Oct 16, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
All you do is babble nonsense and force yourself sexually on people against their will.
"all you do is babble nonsense..."

i.e., "eyes have they, but they can't see; ears have they but they can't hear..."

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#601591 Oct 16, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
would you like me better if i had a muff?:-(
You don't?
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#601592 Oct 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Fantastic! tyfa
How are you?
Good, I’m glad you are Fantastic tyfa.. I’m good, pretty darn good. Things are looking up.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#601593 Oct 16, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Ya know Rider...you and I have managed to remain "friends" and "civil" to one another despite a few bumps along the way. I understand about the trying to remain courteous...I think at times it is hopeless...unless that you just want to remain...silent. Hard to at times express your own beliefs without offending others at times.
I see a different side to some of your posts that I have read...do you not think that some "regulars" also love the drama?
You mentioned yesterday that there were those ganging up on LW, Skom and Riverside. First off...I think RR loves the drama...he did after all follow them here...he didn't post on this thread before the "others" became regulars. He posted with them on other thread though...so he knew their opinions.
I think LW likes the challenge...she seems to derive some joy from being able to "fight back". I don't know...just what I see.
As far as them ganging up on Skom...do you really think that he is all "innocent"? Steve has always been involved in most "debates" that take place here...I truly don't see him as a victim. I think he gives as well and sometimes better than what he receives.
Oh well...I am almost through with this thread anyway...I spend most of my time here writing posts and then deleting them...just as I probably should this one.
Later gator...
...and BTW...a man is not judged by his education...but how he uses what he does know...at least in my opinion. The man that had the biggest influence in my life...had little formal education after the 3rd grade...after that...what he knew...he worked hard to learn.
Just wanted you to know that.
If I gave the impression that Skom RR or LW were victims it wasnt my intent. I just think ganging up on someone is pathetic. And thats what these guys do and they do it all the time. I cant recall anytime christians have piled on. I'm not saying they dont Its just that I dont remember it ever happening. Typically RR has to defend himself against them all w/o help from Xtians, same with Steve and LW. Very rarely will an Xtian jump in to help. And if they do its for a comment or two.

This is just more then likely my exit strategy Annie. Like you I dont plan on being here much longer. Just cant take the childishness and pettiness any longer. Since these guys came from the other thread I dont know how many times I've told myself after reading through the BS, that I hope this isnt a valid indication of the real world.......... And I really dont think it is. I think we have the extremists on both sides of the issue along with some rational folks who just want to have a discussion.

Thanks for that on education. These guys and there trash talking dont bother me. I know my place and I'm secure with it. I've been succesful in alot of areas in my life. I've failed in others. Just like everyone else I suppose..........

#601594 Oct 16, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry about it, bro. I dropped out, too. Halfway through 11th grade. I regret it. I got my HSD though, 4 years later when I was applying for the Army.
I also regret not having enough intelligence to create a time machine to go back and change it.
:)
LOL. I also got my GED and some secondary education.

Ya, I wasted a couple years after I got sober wishing I had done things differently and then moved on. cant change the past so may as well get busy living..........

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#601595 Oct 16, 2013
You can probably count with your fingers how many people follow Zeus or Quetzalcoatl or Adonnis. So if a god or gods lacks a sizable human following---that to me is a good way to start the elimination process. So then we are down to a couple dozen or so:
Christianity 2.1 billion
Islam 1.5 billion
Secular*/Nonreligious*/Agnosti c/Atheist&#8804; 1.1 billion, Hinduism 1billion Chinese traditional religion* 394 million Buddhism*376 million - 1.2 billion Primal-Indigenous religions 300 million
African Traditional & Diasporic religions 100 million Sikhism28 million Shinto 27-65 million Juche* 19 million Spiritism15 million
Judaism 15 million Baha'i 7 million Jainism 5 million Cao Dai4 million Zoroastrianism 2.6 million Tenrikyo 2 million Neo-Paganism 1 million Unitarian Universalism 800,000 Rastafarianism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religiou...

So now we are down to a couple dozen that are legitimate religions and philosophies---not thousands. I say a person has more than enough yrs in their life to look closely into those two dozen or so religions to see which ones appeal to them as the truth.
[QUOTE who="It aint necessarily so"]<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Which gods were you able to eliminate and how? How did you eliminate Zeus and Quetzalcoatl? Or any of the thousands of other gods. You've probably seen this quote:
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts
However it is that you ruled out Vishnu, why isn't that a good enough way for somebody else to rule out the Christian god?
<quoted text>
"God" means Jesus to you, right? How did you conclude that there was only one god, or that it was "God"?
It sounds like you
In reason, premises and evidence come first, and conclusions follow.
<quoted text>
Good for you for checking out more than one religion. But how did you investigate that claim? It sounds like you just needed more - a god - and moved on.
<quoted text>
How does that help? You seem to be assuming that to be a god, you need to have existed on earth.
<quoted text>
How does your knowing and experiencing your god differ from the way the Jews and Muslims know and experience theirs?
It sounds to me like you investigated you god the same way I did - you just accepted the claims provisionally at first. The difference appears to be that you had your needs met by that assumption, whereas mine were not. I needed it to be internally consistent and to make sense, but it never did.
Anyway, thanks for the civil discussion. I'm glad we're getting along better.
We would be getting along better from the start if you would have simply with civility joined the discussions that were going on before you and the other humanists tried to rudely crash the billboard.

I ruled out Vishnu because of the historical context of Hinduism. Again the historical context of religions and philosophies makes a difference.

Again, Christianity was the religion of my youth. So to me it was natural to start there after the beliefs I pursued as an adult did not satisfy.

The core belief of "No God" of Buddhism, did not make sense. Especially in light of the modern scientific skepticism of any plausible explanation of how people and planets began. To me science did nothing to refute the thousands of yrs status quo of >God is<

To be a legitimate God--That God has to be able to relate to humans on a human level and vise versa. Yeshua to me is that.

"The difference appears to be that you had your needs met by that assumption, whereas mine were not"---Correct.

"I needed it to be internally consistent and to make sense, but it never did"---Correct again. or you cannot believe.

Some Jews and the Muslims to me experience God. It come down to >>inner peace<<. Do they sincerely have inner peace with the God they experience? Only they can answer that.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#601596 Oct 16, 2013
Lean back, prop your feet up and close your eyes. Relax.

R. Carlos Nakai - Kokopelli Wind ( Canyon Trilogy )

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#601597 Oct 16, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Lady.
Hi HRN;

They were all was going at it and all I could think about was come up for air and a drum roll. So throwed it on a post. I'm sure happy I do not live in the fast lane no more. I got snow here today know it abit silly to be happy over snow but the air is always so fresh and clean and the bite of the cold on the face is even welcome. For me it bring pleasure and apprication.

#601598 Oct 16, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you cannot control what people do and Boooots is capable of defending himself. Many people, including myself, tried to dissuade him from calling the police; we knew law enforcement would not intervene ..
<quoted text>
.. my crystal ball is somewhat cloudy today ..
<quoted text>
.. when someone says, "Humans are worthless," I refuse to remain silent. Even from a Christian perspective, such a statement is vile. If man is made in God's image, this very statement defiles their God. To have my post met with "LOL's & Goofy" slams all humanity ..
.. if you could paint a picture of God, what would it look like? Would He be stern, prideful, stubborn and mean? Or, kind, compassionate and benevolent? If humans are created in God's image, what would your picture reveal ??..
.. if Christians are suppose to be the reflection of a god, MOST paintings would resemble the final chapter of A PORTRAIT OF DORIAN GRAY ..
My picture would be of a magician pulling a rabbit out of a hat..........Pulling a coin out of a childs ear.........

I undertsand what your saying about worthlessness, I've had that arguement here also. One of the worst phrases in the bible and there are plenty to choose from, for me is 'even your best deeds are like filthy rags'..

About Ians and Darwin you dont need to look into the future. Scrap the magic 8 ball. Just look back at the past. Plenty of evidence. I cant believe you haven't seen it. mUst be to busy looking for it in Xtians to notice..........

#601599 Oct 16, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Rider!
Good for you Rider. What you have accomplished is great. You ate not the only one who dropped out of school my friend. I dropped out 3 times. Twice in one year. I eventually got my GED But you have made it with out all that.:)
HFN
Hey HFN Thanks,

We were runnin against the wind..........

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#601600 Oct 16, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi HRN;
They were all was going at it and all I could think about was come up for air and a drum roll. So throwed it on a post. I'm sure happy I do not live in the fast lane no more. I got snow here today know it abit silly to be happy over snow but the air is always so fresh and clean and the bite of the cold on the face is even welcome. For me it bring pleasure and apprication.
Correction should read HFN
Some of my keys have lost the letters.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#601601 Oct 16, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought about trying to explain that to him and then...why bother...
I understand.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min BenAdam 864,761
treatment will make one able to survive (treata... 7 min globalvisionngo 1
Skin Care 21 min nitamansukhani 1
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 32 min dollarsbill 6,473
The Christian Atheist debate 34 min ChristineM 2,009
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 40 min karl44 599,646
White Lives MATTER 2 hr Johnny 86
More from around the web