#601651 Oct 17, 2013
See ya

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#601652 Oct 17, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I argue against various forms of ignorance, such as those that the believers in racism, misogyny and other types have in common, and that is: Those people that believe in those things think it is entirely justified, even though those ills have no basis in reality, or, in other words, are imaginary and exist only in your mind.
Just like deities.
You are lying, Just like the lie you tell yourself everday that you are an atheist.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#601653 Oct 17, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes it extremely difficult for us to communicate effectively beyond this level.....
That is one of the main problems with Christianity and Islam. They are taught that their religion's magic book is perfectly written by God. Although, evidence clearly proves it was not.

Christianity simply accepts that a collection of books authorized by a Roman Emperor is "The perfect word of God" only because they were told it is, no other reason at all.

That is sheer insanity.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#601654 Oct 17, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Then you're a Racist.
Congratulations.
Trailer Park or not most white people would take offense at being called "white thrash". It the same as the "n" word against blacks. It denotes a >less than< status. Inferiority to "other" whites or in the "n" word inferiority to whites. A white that
>not measure up<. it's a racist term. How you can defend that I not know. Maybe it due to how you were raised.
Well said, tri. Thank you.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#601655 Oct 17, 2013
If a sole individual held such beliefs, they would be deemed mentally ill. However, if a certain number of people hold identical delusions we call it a religion and grant them political powers.
<quoted text>
[1] "To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables, so that they may indeed see but not perceive, and may indeed hear but not understand." -Mark 4:11.
[2]“I have spoken openly to the world,” Jesus replied.“I always taught in synagogues or at the temple, where all the Jews come together. I said nothing in secret." - John 18:20
This is precisely the kind of thing I was just alluding to with Trifecta about how we can tell that the scriptures are a Frankenstein's monster of literary pieces cobbled together from the minds of assorted fallible and mutually contradicting men rather than the word of a perfect mind about an actually existent entity - itself.
Here are a similar pair from the bible quiz I was offering, the purpose of which was predominantly to make the point that the bible is filled with such self-contradictory scriptures that make it possible for believers to support virtually any doctrine or its opposite, and making it possible for skeptics to dismiss the it all:
[1] Men have seen God ("So Jacob called the place Peniel, saying, "It is because I saw God face to face, and yet my life was spared." - Genesis 32:30)
[2] And also, no man has seen God ("No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father's side, has made him known." - John 1:18)
What does a faith based thinker do with such apparent inconsistencies?
One approach is to invalidate one of the pair's apparent meaning by calling it old covenant or allegory.
Another is to actually hold both contradictory opinions simultaneously, something Orwell called doublethink.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublethink
Another is refuse to think about it - "I know what I believe, and nothing can change that."
And another is merely exclaiming that it is an inscrutable mystery. One anonymous Christian implied that contradiction such as these made such ideas likelier to be be true, because who would make up such things? "Creo quia absurdam est" - I believe it because it's absurd.
Altogether, these constitute various types of something called antiprocessing, a type of confirmation bias anthropomorphized with a fictional device called Morton's Demon:
http://www.talkorigins.org/origins/postmonth/...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiprocess

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#601656 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
That makes it extremely difficult for us to communicate effectively beyond this level. Our ways of thinking are fundamentally different. Skepticism insists that I ask or at least consider that question about everything that I believe or am considering. If you cannot consider the possibility that the scriptures are wrong, you have no basis to argue to a skeptic that they're right, either. You can only say that you are willing to believe them right or wrong.
<quoted text>
That's further evidence that we have no basis for information exchange.
<quoted text>
There are really only two possibilities, and my guess is that you find them both unthinkable - either that your god would withhold its favor from somebody earnestly seeking him, or that he doesn't exist.
<quoted text>
Yes, but not just because I never found him. Without other information, both options would still be logically possible. And it wouldn't matter much which it were - whether he was a myth or just simply refused to be my god.
Nevertheless, I am able to decide between the two by other criteria. The god described by the bible is self-contradictory in may ways. To me, that's an unmistakable sign that the description was inconsistently cobbled together from the minds of various fallible men and not the word of an actually existent god.
<quoted text>
Yes.
Likewise, it seems to me that YOU may have no choice but to conclude the deity of Christianity is a NOT a myth. If so, that's YOUR conclusion YOU have to live with.
Absolutely. I am fine living with that conclusion. I assume you are fine with your conclusion about the Christian Deity. Are you surprised that it is hard for us to communicate? Did you actually think we might ever agree??? LoL..you are hilarious! Again...Death is the foundation of faith especially Islam and Christianity. So if you can keep that in mind then you can argue religion more effectively with believers. Believers in Islam and Christianity see death as the only means to alter belief. You will be better off when you see Christians that way as well.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#601657 Oct 17, 2013
davy wrote:
Tell me more about the science of the talking snake,religitard.
<quoted text>
The color of the coat must have gotten washed Albuquerque, N.M.
Socks should have gotten washed too. You make a very good example for the non believers who think of me as foolish with my view of mankind and the fact that mankind does not take responiblity for themselves some men must even hide in a sock to express there views.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#601658 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
Having a spirit is a meaningless expression outside of a Christian mindset. You could just as easily say that we have any number of other things that can't be identified except by given names like an aura, an essence, an inner prismatic spectrum, or an indwelling star plasma.
Are there any other ways that we are like this god? We both use language, and we both have emotions like anger.
But that's so little. I posted this to you two weeks ago at
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
"Libya to America ... can compared and contrasted like any two things. Some pairs of things are more alike than different, and some more different than alike. Each pair will have features that are the same, and features that are different, the relative number and significance of these determining whether they are more logically grouped together (toads and frogs) or separately (galaxies and the theme from The Twilight Zone)"
If we compare your god and man to find similarities, we get the short list above. If we contrast them for differences, we get a hug list - the god is immortal and we're not, the god is immaterial and we are not, we have parent and god doesn't, we get infections and the god doesn't, we feel shame and the god doesn't, etc., etc.
This actually makes the two radically different, not one in the image of the other. Man and the Christian god are more like galaxies and the theme from The Twilight Zone than like toads and frogs.
I think we have more in common with God than you think.

We have language, creativity, love, holiness, and intelligence; a mind. I think those far surpass your notion that God doesn't get infections...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#601659 Oct 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The only perfect humans ever to have existed what Adam and Eve. But they were only physically perfect, not morally or spiritually.
And what does that mean? Anything specific, or is more like spirits, auras, inner prismatic spectra, and inner star plasma?
It means that no matter how hard we try, we can't be perfect like Adam, Jesus or God.
The logical positivist taught us that words that don't refer to anything that can be demonstrated are words about our minds, not words about the world outside of it.
I don't care what a positivist thinks. Not everything can be explained through science. To think like a positivist is the sign of a closed mind, IMO.
Not surprisingly, apologists defending faith based thought routinely lambast such thinking. They scoff at those of us who need more than some faith based thinker's word for it, calling skeptics that reject such claims too materialistic and too short sighted.

Of course we criticize that thinking. Why wouldn't we? Do you think everything can be explained through science?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#601660 Oct 17, 2013
<quoted text>
And worse, why would more than one and they be so radically different? I don't know. It seems like an inconsistency to me.
<quoted text>
Trifecta calls him Yeshua. Some call him Yahweh. Others call him El, Adonai, Jesus, or Jehovah. You say he has no name. Each of you seems to have his own religion. And of course, each of you is no more or less correct than the other.
I know, I see them calling Him by those words.

What they don't understand is that those are words, not names. Like 'Jehovah', it's just a Hebrew word meaning 'God', it's not a name - no more than "human" is your name.

Location hidden

#601661 Oct 17, 2013

Location hidden

#601662 Oct 17, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Morning.....
“The willingness to accept responsibility
for one’s own life is the source
from which self-respect springs.”
~ Joan Didion
Thought for the Day
You know the ditty we had over Bigfoot.
Been confirmed that it is real so best watch
how big our shadows become.
No not laughting either.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#601663 Oct 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What they don't understand is that those are words, not names. Like 'Jehovah', it's just a Hebrew word meaning 'God', it's not a name - no more than "human" is your name.
So is "Jesus" a name or is Jesus not God ?

You have never answered this simple question.
That proves you are nothing but a worthless troll.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#601664 Oct 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we have more in common with God than you think.
We have language, creativity, love, holiness, and intelligence; a mind. I think those far surpass your notion that God doesn't get infections...
The difference is that humans exist in the real world and deities exist only in your head.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#601665 Oct 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
...Do you think everything can be explained through science?
Infinitely more has been explained by science than by your magic book.

The Bible has been proven to be a worthless text in regards to explaining anything.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#601666 Oct 17, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't?
nope! do you? if so, why not act like it?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#601667 Oct 17, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so brainwashed you don't even have a clue what I was saying do you?
yes, i am brainwashed. wouldn't wanna hafta stand before God unless i was! have you had your brain washed from the uncleaness of this world?:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#601668 Oct 17, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
We all can see you are an ahole troll.
does your use of the word "we" give you confidence in your hypocricy? "we" as in 'the world' is never a safe affiliation in the biblical sense.

"as it was in the days of noah...."

“"None shall pass"”

There

#601669 Oct 17, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yes, i am brainwashed.....
The most honest post from a Christian here EVER!!!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#601670 Oct 17, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
With that said, you are ready to accept that Ptah, An/Anu and God are one in the same, and Osiris, Lord Pacal and Jesus are one in the same deities.
That IS what you are saying ...correct?

You can't have it both ways you know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min Joe Fortuna 980,318
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 9 min ROCCO 101,146
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min Sky Writer 31 184,309
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 20 min guest 670,529
secret weapon contributing to global chaos...pa... 25 min modell299 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Shiralee 445,671
what are the physical differences between india... (Jun '09) 5 hr Blackwomenrule 89
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr David C Pumpkins 286,468
More from around the web