Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#600338 Oct 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
1) Do most people shop around before buying into a religion?
2) Should they, if they care about what is actually true?
3) Why would a person make that kind of decision without shopping around?
1. It's not like buying a home or some shoes. I think that most of the time, people are kind of "bred" into a paticular religion. Honestly, I'd also say that they probably tend to follow what their parents follow. But I'm sure that some people do "shop around", or at least they see different religions and pick the one that suits them best.

2. A lot of times, what is "actually true" is relevant to each individual.

3. It's a gut feeling, at least for me. Did you shop around?
MrC

Birmingham, UK

#600339 Oct 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
The fact that there are different denominations would tend to suggest that they do. It's the free market of faith.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#600340 Oct 10, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
I did that, found out they all suck.
According to Joseph Campbell, that purpose of myth is to discover the self, not God.

"When you look in the face of God, you will see yourself staring back at you"

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#600341 Oct 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
I have never been in the market for a religion.

For me, the real world is good enough.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#600342 Oct 10, 2013
People usually adopt the religion they were taught to believe in by their parents.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#600343 Oct 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
1. It's not like buying a home or some shoes. I think that most of the time, people are kind of "bred" into a paticular religion. Honestly, I'd also say that they probably tend to follow what their parents follow. But I'm sure that some people do "shop around", or at least they see different religions and pick the one that suits them best.
Are these reasons to believe that the religion you landed on is actually true?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
2. A lot of times, what is "actually true" is relevant to each individual.
I'm not talking about subjective truths. I'm talking about reality and objective truth.

If you care about what is objectively true, true for all people, how would you decide which of thousands of religious claims to believe in, if any?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
3. It's a gut feeling, at least for me. Did you shop around?
If believers of all religions have the same gut feeling, how do you know who is actually correct? Why do they have the same justification for belief as you do?

It's possible to have religious faith in anything. What does that tell you about the value of faith? Does faith help or hurt the search for objective truth?
MrC

Birmingham, UK

#600344 Oct 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm not talking about subjective truths. I'm talking about reality and objective truth.
If you care about what is objectively true, true for all people, how would you decide which of thousands of religious claims to believe in, if any?
<quoted text>
If believers of all religions have the same gut feeling, how do you know who is actually correct? Why do they have the same justification for belief as you do?
It's possible to have religious faith in anything. What does that tell you about the value of faith? Does faith help or hurt the search for objective truth?
" What is true is what is true for you"~L Ron Hubbard, failed science fiction author and founder of the cult of
$cientology.

Apparently it applies to all cults.

United States

#600345 Oct 10, 2013
MrC wrote:
The fact that there are different denominations would tend to suggest that they do. It's the free market of faith.
The thousands of denominations of Christianity is the result of two factors. The main factor is the Bible. It's vague enough that all Christians can have a unique interpretation. The other factor is Protestantism. Catholicism has the Vatican and the Pope as an authority to aid in unification. Protestantism doesn't really have that.

Choosing a Christian denomination still involves convenience. People are generally going to choose from those that are readily available where they live. It's the equivalent of choosing between various flavors of ice cream from the only ice cream place in town. Your local store may not have Balsamic Strawberry. More often than not, you'll buy from what's available.

Keep in mind that we're talking about truth claims, not ice cream. There's no second best in truth claims. A claim is either true or false. Settling for a comfortable falsehood isn't something I would do or recommend for other people.
dandruff

Baltimore, MD

#600346 Oct 10, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for that perfect display of Christian hatred and deceit.
"Lie for Jesus! Hate in Jesus Name!" - Red Apples AKA John Coffey
you are head d.... not better then RA.
you are second perfect hater and deceit,Liar, and scum
beautiful topic team?
at least RA doesn't mock Bible,and Jesus
but you spread deadly foam around everyone?
dandruff

Baltimore, MD

#600347 Oct 10, 2013
MrC wrote:
<quoted text>
" What is true is what is true for you"~L Ron Hubbard, failed science fiction author and founder of the cult of
$cientology.
Apparently it applies to all cults.
yea yea yea
your perfect russian english from under tamiza bridge
bum english;
quote;
"is the truth what is you for,science fallen and founde fiction action of the cult Bo Bim L.Hubbard Ron moron

HE HE HEEEEEEE old sick idiota

“"None shall pass"”

There

#600348 Oct 10, 2013
The main problem for all religions is that none of them will admit they have no way of knowing or proving their beliefs are more correct than any other religions.

Sadly, most of the hatred and murder in this world has been over who thinks their imaginary friends are better than all others.

Pretty damn sick, isn't it ?
Dr shrink

Baltimore, MD

#600349 Oct 10, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Then stop doing it.
I already did
only watch your hate and insults abinst Bible and spew at your faces, or fart loud
at you,atheists,secular humanists,homsexuals and filthy immoral wicked americans-this is my goal,
just spew at your face

did I ask you to respond to me,?to advice me? or being my frenny????
NO I NEVER ASKED YOU,NOR ANYONE,
suck my d..... and swallow fluid silently
Dr shrink

Baltimore, MD

#600350 Oct 10, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
The main problem for all religions is that none of them will admit they have no way of knowing or proving their beliefs are more correct than any other religions.
Sadly, most of the hatred and murder in this world has been over who thinks their imaginary friends are better than all others.
you are worse scumbag from all this religion

sadly ,most of the hatered and murder or forsake own kids in this world has been over and thinks like you d..head that you have cyber imaginary friends and they are better then all others,
ALL OTHERS ACCORDING TO POS LIKE YOU ,ARE TROLLS,RETARDED,OR WICKED CHRISTIANS,

GO AND LOOK AT YOURSELVES YOU POOR D...HEAD

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#600351 Oct 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Still"? What do you mean still?? Do you think humans are morally more advanced in 2013 than we were in 1013? Or in 0013? If so, why? What leads you to that assumption?
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Yeah, I do, but I don't expect a discussion of the matter to be profitable to either of us, nor to anybody else. Were you aware in the West, witches are no longer burned, democracies have replaced monarchies in many nations, slavery has been outlawed, and women vote? And men, too? It's true.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Did you know that in the West, crime, disease, broken families and poverty are at higher rates than ever before?
Way to go Better Morality!
Did you have a point? Was that somehow related to what preceded it? Was it a rebuttal, or were you just conceding all of that and moving on?

Do you consider disease, broken families and poverty moral issues? I suppose that if one is deliberately inflicting them on others, then that is a moral issue. But do you consider the victims of these matters to be immoral?

Maybe you think that your god is deliberately inflicting them on his beloved children as revenge for some insult, like taking group prayer out of schools.

As I alluded above, these discussions are generally fruitless unless the gallery is getting something out of them, which is unlikely. Our thinking is so radically different that there is almost no hope of bridging the gap.

Incidentally, speaking of fruitless, the murder rate in the US has plummeted to half over the last generation or so. Were you aware of that? You should be. I found two posts on two different threads where I already told you and provided data and sources for that data:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

United States

#600352 Oct 10, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I have never been in the market for a religion.
For me, the real world is good enough.
I hear Taoism is nice this time of year.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#600353 Oct 10, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
True to me? Yes.
In your mind, it's true that deities don't exist.

In that regards, ask yourself the sane question, If you care about what is objectively true, true for all people, how would you decide whether it nod deities are real?
I don't know who is actually correct. My gut feeling tells me that I am, though.

Do you know if you're correct?
It's possible to have religious faith in anything.
Anything? You really think so or are you just making a briar statement?
What does that tell you about the value of faith? Does faith help or hurt the search for objective truth?
Objective truth is influenced by your own personal feelings, opinions and experiences. My objective truth tells me that God is very real and existent in all of ours lives, based off my own feelings, opinions and experiences.

United States

#600354 Oct 10, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
If they would only act as if they weren't so sure of their beliefs, that would be really ethical.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#600355 Oct 10, 2013
<quoted text>
.... Was that somehow related to what preceded it?...
Not only was it unrelated, it was completely inaccurate and unsubstantiated.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#600356 Oct 10, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
True to me? Yes.....
That is the problem with several mental illness. The sufferer is convinced their delusions are reality.
dandruff

Baltimore, MD

#600357 Oct 10, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Did you have a point? Was that somehow related to what preceded it? Was it a rebuttal, or were you just conceding all of that and moving on?
Do you consider disease, broken families and poverty moral issues? I suppose that if one is deliberately inflicting them on others, then that is a moral issue. But do you consider the victims of these matters to be immoral?
Maybe you think that your god is deliberately inflicting them on his beloved children as revenge for some insult, like taking group prayer out of schools.
As I alluded above, these discussions are generally fruitless unless the gallery is getting something out of them, which is unlikely. Our thinking is so radically different that there is almost no hope of bridging the gap.
Incidentally, speaking of fruitless, the murder rate in the US has plummeted to half over the last generation or so. Were you aware of that? You should be. I found two posts on two different threads where I already told you and provided data and sources for that data:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
you sick psychopath again with this BS
who cares of creature who escape as criminal from federal government?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Thinking 37,628
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 7 min Steve III 44,282
Why do Women get tattoos when its so ugly! (Sep '11) 14 min tampabayallstar 63
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Steve III 641,139
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr Tulip289 104,611
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr BonBons7522 969,862
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr DENG 38,324
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr who 280,858
More from around the web