Since: May 11

UK

#597345 Oct 1, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair enough MC.
I'll ask you the same questions I asked AuraMyth - who chose not to answer them.
How much evidence is needed to prove that an after-life exists?
What evidence is considered "authenticated" and which are not?
Thanks for reading my post.
BTW - I am past the "yet" point....I'm now just waiting for people to accept the evidence that has been accumulated, so your angle on this is actually -well, just a personal perception/opinion.
Proof has been presented, people are the ones who choose to accept or deny it.
once again....

What the religious and the irreligious consider to be 'evidence' differs wildly.

There are two possible positions. there is an afterlife, or there is no afterlife. The positive position that "there is an afterlife" attracts the burden.

The one bearing the burden has to meet the standard of those they are trying to convince(to change their mind) if those items which they consider evidence are not to the required standard then no mind will be changed.

How does one falsify the afterlife? How does one repeatably test something for which there is no evidence anyway other than anacdotal?

I have a pathway to a frozen wilderness inhabited by fantastic creatures at the back of my wardrobe...which only I can see. You cannot prove otherwise, and I dare you to try.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#597346 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This isn't a dating site, dude.
Just because you are impotent doesn't mean the rest of us are.

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#597347 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>

:)
"If that was the case,
do you think you are helping the problem or making it worse?"

No impact nor is it relevant.

"So it would seem it is you that it judging right?"

Not at all, we all make our own decisions mostly we do not share them.

" Unless you deem otherwise, it is the norm"

Absolutely, yes it my decision to use the comment button doofus.

"you will simply respond with a childish comment?"

I might, after all it's a free country and this IS for my entertainment.

" While I appreciate the attempt at honesty here
I am confused as to the standard you apply."

You're confused if you thought there was a standard in topix.

"Most people tend to insult posts that are meant to be
insulting to others. On a regular basis you take posts not insulting to anyone, where people are simply
trying to express themselves about something and reply with a childish insult. What is the point exactly of
doing that even to non-confrontational posts?"

I rarely insult people, I may insult an idea or make attempts to humor people but...
It's apparent you take this forum far far too seriously and indeed hold grudges, that's not healthy. I'll try not to bother you anymore, you have issues and are way to serious about everything.
You should see a doctor to get a script for Valium or something.
Don't go away mad ...just go away.
Bongo

Bellmore, NY

#597348 Oct 1, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. my garbage disposal died last week so I PM'ed Catcher for help. He referred me to AINS who told me to PM Ben who asked me if I meant my computer recycle bin. After numerous PM's, Ben referred me to Trifecta who told me to pray ..
.. when it comes to home maintenance, these intellectuals are dense. Catcher thinks drywall is for large legal briefs, AIN says they're for billing statements, Ben thinks they're for computer monitors and Trifecta says they're good for stacks of bibles. And, they know absolutely nothing about garbage disposals ..
.. anyway, that's why I missed you ..
You could be the new rosie odonnel

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#597349 Oct 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>

Don't go away mad ...just go away.
You don't have the ability to make me do either

You have zero ability to effect my mood negatively

I find you funny...in a useless sort of way

Since: May 11

UK

#597350 Oct 1, 2013
[...]
Interpretation is perception.
Perception is Self.
<quoted text>
Many use perception to make a reality of their own.
Others, use reality to create a perception, although it may or may not become true.
You wrote:
"by an act of 'belief'(which is not an act of will anyway)"
- belief is learned, which would also mean that the brain learned a process. To make the belief complete, one must put forth what they learned - which is ultimately - the will - of one's mind.
Yes MC - Self. Do you know what the Self is?
- If not, consider "Self" as any action or ability that a person actually makes or does. Yes anything.
If you dispute this, then please state an action that is taken by the human body that does not require the person to do something.
- FYI - I don't beleive any god can control me - without ME taking up an action to either do his/her bidding or not.
That is Self.
Learn it, live it, love it. We only get one life to express it the way we choose.
No religion or "God" required.
Many use perception to make a reality of their own? They're known as THE MENTALLY ILL.

No...belief occurs when enough facts and evidence have coalesced to cause somone to accept something to be true. Belief is not an act of will.

Force yourself to believe something which you currently do not believe and tell me how it worked for you.

Do you believe that sweating is an act of will? I have no sweat switch.

Location hidden

#597351 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
"God is imaginary" is your manufactured belief.
And now you claim that's something I can see like you do, too.
Show me.
Pffft, your trivial attempt to shift the burden of proof to ,
YOUR claim there is a god. Is less than a shining example of
Chivalry or a quality of one who truly knows what they believe.

Location hidden

#597352 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have the ability to make me do either
You have zero ability to effect my mood negatively
I find you funny...in a useless sort of way
Then quit whining so much, you sound like a violin.
lol

Location hidden

#597353 Oct 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Then quit whining so much, you sound like a violin.
lol
The one post in which I spelled out to you what the issue was because you seemed as confused about that as you do everything else is what you characterize as "whining so much"?

LOL

I thought it might help you to show you why you keep running into the same problems. I thought I even did so in a civil and reasonable manner

If you have somehow confused me mocking you and laughing as an indicator you have upset me, well I guess all I can say is enjoy your fantasy

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#597354 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I am confused by this comment
You know he has been attacked for misogynistic
This would give the impression he suggested a woman would need to Google it but he didn't say anything about women
HL actually made what I thought was a nice and funny post to him in which she said
" when it comes to home maintenance, these intellectuals are dense."
RR was simply playing off that comment
Whether you meant it or not, that post read like you felt the need to clarify to him that you don't need to look it up despite being a woman even though he didn't say anything to suggest that
IDK, maybe its just me. I know it will probably be explained as totally innocuous but given how common knowledge it is that he has been gone after for his views on women, it just seemed like a strange thing to say to me under the circumstances
Steve...you are searching...

My post went back to a post that RR made a couple of weeks ago about women having to google to install a door. He was surprised to find out...I knew how...he asked me if I googled.

It was merely a reference back to that conversation...which btw was all good natured between him and myself.

That is all...

sigh

Think I am out of here.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#597355 Oct 1, 2013

I'm not sure I totally agree with this, because it really depends upon the perception one has towards the evidence.
Example - opinion only - If I believe in an after-life, yet an Atheist will state to me that there is no evidence and then I present EVPs, thermal imaging, video, etc., more than likely the Atheist will still continue to refute this data, because they didn't witness it first-hand themselves.
This is the key to belief - first-hand experiences. Many don't have them, but many do. If any evidence can be presented, by individuals who take care in accumulating the data so it is free from contamination, then the evidence should be valid and acceptable.
This is where perception takes a firm stand within a person who had not had an experience.
IMO - they speak to soon, and do not have enough information to make a fair statement of - "no proof".
Thanks for responding BenAdam!
Peace and light!
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice post. Well done.
An after-thought.

Since you and I have not agreed very often in the past, I appreciate the time you took to read the post, and "agree" - I think.

I honestly believe that a person cannot truly "believe" in anything, unless they experience it first hand.

We as humans seem to utilize second and third-hand accounts as "truths", but in truth, we really don't know if they are or aren't.

Our senses dictate what we believe.

Self.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#597356 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Topix IMO is not exactly the most accurate microcosm to real life
While some of the situations may be found in real life, they are found in the extremes. When is the last time anybody was ever told they were going to hell by a Christian in real life. For that matter, when is the last time an unbeliever went up to a Christian in real life and told them their God is evil and the religion sucks?
What you are talking about applies to less probably 1% of Christians. I personally have never heard a Christian tell someone else they are going to hell in real life. And while their are cases where people say it or preach hate from the pulpit, it is hardly the norm
What you are really saying IMHO is you want to see less than 1% of the Christian extremists change for the better for you to have a better view of Christianity overall. How realistic do you think that is?
Why not instead take comfort in people like Epi...Senecus...OYE...Al Garcia, etc and know any group filled with milliosn of people is inevitably going to have extremes to both sides and everything in-between?
If you need Christianity to produce all Epi and Als for you to see it in a better light then what chance does it have? And if that standard is applied to unbelievers, what hope is there for middle ground? If we judge all unbelievers by their worst examples, who would bother with trying to find a middle ground
What you say sounds nice but it isn't very realistic or even fair IMO. There are millions of people made better through their faith. If you need every member to understand things as you seem them and to act in a way that you think is right then of course you will be disappointed. Its never going to happen. But you could take solace in the fact you have plenty of examples of people that do
There is a saying in NA/AA that says stick with the winners. Don't be around those who are negative or can't work the program and will fail. The same should be true of your faith. Why you let people not working their faith have any effect on you is what I don't understand. What they say in NA/AA is people who don't stick with the winners want an excuse to go back to using. Is it possible, in any way, you wanted an excuse to leave? You had people who you would have fit in with and followed your faith that way or even by yourself. Yet you allowed the people who didn't represent how you think to play a role in your faith. I don't understand why
Let it be said of us......

Let it be said of us
That the Lord was our passion
That with gladness we bore
Every cross we were given
That we fought the good fight
That we finished our course
Knowing within us the power of the risen Lord

Chorus
Let the cross be our glory
And the Lord be our song
By mercy made holy
By the Spirit made strong

And the Lord be our song
'Till the likeness of Jesus
Be through us made known
And the Lord be our song

Let it be said of us
We were marked by forgiveness
We were known by our love
And delighted in meekness
We were ruled by his peace
Heeding unity's call
Joined as one body
That Christ would be seen by all

Location hidden

#597357 Oct 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Another "Aura contribution"

How does chivalry have anything whatsoever to do with his post?

You pretty much just string words together don't you?

Location hidden

#597358 Oct 1, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
My post went back to a post that RR made a couple of weeks ago about women having to google to install a door. He was surprised to find out...I knew how...he asked me if I googled.
It was merely a reference back to that conversation...which btw was all good natured between him and myself.
That is all...
sigh
Think I am out of here.
I don't think I was searching

I doubt anyone else knew was the reference either

Like I said, whether you meant it that way or not, it just seemed like something someone would say in to response that he suggested women would need to

Which I suppose is exactly what you are saying it was. Although it was from a good-natured conversation from weeks ago

Like I said, the guy has been attacked for being misogynistic. There was nothing in your post that indicated it was in fun.

You two probably knew what it was about. I didn't so I asked because it looked like something else

I don't think I am the only one that would have thought so

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#597359 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I am confused by this comment
You know he has been attacked for misogynistic
This would give the impression he suggested a woman would need to Google it but he didn't say anything about women
HL actually made what I thought was a nice and funny post to him in which she said
" when it comes to home maintenance, these intellectuals are dense."
RR was simply playing off that comment
Whether you meant it or not, that post read like you felt the need to clarify to him that you don't need to look it up despite being a woman even though he didn't say anything to suggest that
IDK, maybe its just me. I know it will probably be explained as totally innocuous but given how common knowledge it is that he has been gone after for his views on women, it just seemed like a strange thing to say to me under the circumstances
LMAO! You know what, I didn't even notice the "I'm a woman" part. I'm just used to women not knowing anything other than the best place to buys shoes and how to make a good pot roast.

My bad.

Location hidden

#597360 Oct 1, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because you are impotent doesn't mean the rest of us are.
Aw....

You think I'm important?

Location hidden

#597361 Oct 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is my claim.

YOUR claim is that "God is imaginary".

You even claimed that YOUR belief isn't invisible.

So let's see it.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#597362 Oct 1, 2013

Fair enough MC.
I'll ask you the same questions I asked AuraMyth - who chose not to answer them.
How much evidence is needed to prove that an after-life exists?
What evidence is considered "authenticated" and which are not?
Thanks for reading my post.
BTW - I am past the "yet" point....I'm now just waiting for people to accept the evidence that has been accumulated, so your angle on this is actually -well, just a personal perception/opinion.
Proof has been presented, people are the ones who choose to accept or deny it.
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
once again....
What the religious and the irreligious consider to be 'evidence' differs wildly.
True.
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two possible positions. there is an afterlife, or there is no afterlife. The positive position that "there is an afterlife" attracts the burden.
Why? Where is it written that the after-life "is the positive position"? Why isn't not an after-life a "positive postion" to have?

You sound like you are Agnostic and just sitting ont he fence to see which side has better or softer grass.

Are you Agnostic?
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
The one bearing the burden has to meet the standard of those they are trying to convince(to change their mind) if those items which they consider evidence are not to the required standard then no mind will be changed.
Who bearing any burden.

I ask AuraMytha to provide answers to statements that were made.

AM posted that no amount is required, just authentic.

I asked what constitutes as authentic? What doesn't? Who or what organization makes the final certification that something is "authentic."

Like AM - you are sure moving around the bush, but are yet to make a clear assertion to what the answers are for these questions.

BTW - I'm not here to change anyone's mind, as I cannot. Only they can - which is also Self. So with you thinking that side of the story, you'll need to stop now, and just address the facts of the situation - How much evidence is required to prove anything, and who authenticates the evidence to make it "real"?

You seem to be intelligent enough to understand the requirements of these questions, so lay it on me. I can handle it.
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one falsify the afterlife?
Hmmmm.....not too sure about this one, considering much of society doesn't believe in an after-life.

How does one go about an doing that, besides through movies?

What information have you discovered as related to this topic?

Why would anyone want to falsify the after-life anyhow?

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
How does one repeatably test something for which there is no evidence anyway other than anacdotal?
Sure there is evidence - digital recordings of voices that seem to have no known origins, apparitions, thermal imaging, and video recordings. All are considered part of Science because of their mechanical and data recording devices.

Which of these should not be used as evidence and why? So far, they all meet your qualifications. Is it time to change your qualifications and possibly add more requirements.

That is why I ask, how much evidence is required to prove something is "real"?

Your back-peddling has been noticed.
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a pathway to a frozen wilderness inhabited by fantastic creatures at the back of my wardrobe...which only I can see. You cannot prove otherwise, and I dare you to try.
I'm selling craters on the Moon, so you too can have you own name on the Moon. Want one?

If you think you see "fantastic creatures in a frozen wilderness" who am I to argue - I haven't experienced it yet first-hand, so I'll take it into consideration that you are being truthful. Are you?

BTW - that too is also your Self.

Location hidden

#597363 Oct 1, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
That is all...
sigh
Think I am out of here.
Don't use self-closing hinges, they make the door slam.

Instead, use a commercial door closer, it makes the door shut and latch without having to hear it slam.

(that way the door won't hit you on the way out)

*ducks*

You know I'm kidding, right?

Location hidden

#597364 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! You know what, I didn't even notice the "I'm a woman" part. I'm just used to women not knowing anything other than the best place to buys shoes and how to make a good pot roast.
My bad.
~sigh

I guess there goes my whole "Why pile on to make it look like he's more misogynistic than he is" inquiry!

I guess you would have had it coming even if that is how she meant it!

Damn you RR, you aren't making this easy on me

LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 743,772
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 3 min scirocco 118,286
I Will Plow My Mom In Week By Monday 5/28 (May '12) 13 min jaden 42
Got any good jokes?? (Mar '07) 14 min Ricky F 1,807
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min Liam 545,061
How to tell when a Topix poster doesn't have a ... 16 min Wildcard7 19
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 38 min Wordsworth 4,598
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 41 min Aura Mytha 260,191
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 1 hr sandeeprajj 978
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr mdbuilder 174,202

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE