“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#597371 Oct 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you want to play a word game.
I didn't say my belief wasn't invisible and you know that.
I said your god is invisible, IE: not present, tangible, audible, opaque or anywhere to be found. EXCEPT in your mind!
Just like every other deity ever invented.

"Wotan Rules!"

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#597372 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! You know what, I didn't even notice the "I'm a woman" part. I'm just used to women not knowing anything other than the best place to buys shoes and how to make a good pot roast.
My bad.
Yea....you're bad alright

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#597373 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
~sigh
I guess there goes my whole "Why pile on to make it look like he's more misogynistic than he is" inquiry!
I guess you would have had it coming even if that is how she meant it!
Damn you RR, you aren't making this easy on me
LOL
You don't need to defend him.....LOL...He gets himself in enough trouble on his own (I think he likes it)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#597374 Oct 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Because unlike you, RR has my respect. We get along understanding we do not see eye to eye on everything, but know
we do have common ground. Maybe "conviction" is a word you would understand. I personally don't think chivalry is out of place when talking to a professed Christian and adult male. Which says a hell of alot more than just belief or just conviction.
Not that it's any of your business. I'm guessing whining is something you can't help.
THAT is how you respond to people you respect?

I think I understand you even better now

And yes, a word that made sense in context would have helped

You see "chivalry" and "conviction" as synonymous?

That helps also

Carrion

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#597375 Oct 1, 2013
Is History boring?

They used to use urine to tan animal skins, so families used to all pee in a pot & then once a day it was taken & sold to the tannery.....if you had to do this to survive you were "Piss Poor" But worse than that were the really poor folk who couldn't even afford to buy a pot.....they "didn't have a pot to piss in" & were the lowest of the low. The next time you're washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be. Here are some facts about the 1500s:-

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and they still smelled pretty good by June. However, since they were starting to smell ....... brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odour. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting Married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it.. Hence the saying, "Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water!"

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof... Hence the saying "It's raining cats and dogs."

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, "Dirt poor."

The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance-way. Hence: a thresh hold.

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire... Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while. Hence the rhyme: Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old.

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could, "bring home the bacon." They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and "chew the fat".

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the upper crust.

**Continued

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#597376 Oct 1, 2013
Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would Sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial... They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive... So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer". And that's the truth...

Now, whoever said History was boring?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#597377 Oct 1, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Mac don't get in no hurry here you got to let the lil one grow first. lol You best get busy with the haromica teach the lil one the love of music first. lol. The babes love that stuff first.
Oh, yes. Music, languages, literature...

Location hidden

#597378 Oct 1, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
For the record....I knew what she was talking about.....
She said in the other post that she has had to learn to do a lot of things on her own.....I think they were talking about putting up dry wall
Well

She meant it exactly how I thought

It was a reply to the suggestion a women would need to Google it

But since he didn't say that and there was no reference to a 2-week old post or any indication it was said in fun, it seemed like a strange thing to say on a day where two people welcomed him back by calling him misogynistic

Obviously if i knew the reference I wouldn't have asked

But I didn't which is why the response confused me

It looked like it was just suggesting he was being further misogynistic for no reason

You can see why it looked like that to someone who didn't know about the post from a few weeks ago right?

I understand now obviously what it was about

Location hidden

#597379 Oct 1, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't need to defend him.....LOL...He gets himself in enough trouble on his own (I think he likes it)
I am beginning to see that:)

I do think there is a ridiculous amount of piling on for a guy that is pretty pleasant despite some way of thinking I don't agree with

But not much can be said if its gonna be put out there

(T) Peace

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#597380 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Well
It was a reply to the suggestion a women would need to Google it
But since he didn't say that and there was no reference to a 2-week old post or any indication it was said in fun, it seemed like a strange thing to say on a day where two people welcomed him back by calling him misogynistic
Obviously if i knew the reference I wouldn't have asked
But I didn't which is why the response confused me
It looked like it was just suggesting he was being further misogynistic for no reason
You can see why it looked like that to someone who didn't know about the post from a few weeks ago right?
I understand now obviously what it was about
:-)

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#597382 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Well
No...I didn't...It wasn't a put down...it wasn't in reference to anything except RR was surprised that I knew about construction.

Whatever though Steve...you tend to think of me as you wish anyway...just as the other post of mine that you commented on.

Instead of seeing it as a post to defend those that used their faith as I believe God intended...you saw it as a put down.

I wrote that post in hopes that I could explain to IANS why I try to find some good in Christianity and some of it's followers. I wrote of my experiences with faith and with my feelings on that.

I didn't trash the faith...the church...all of it's followers...

I don't even know why I am trying to explain this to you...

I'm done...

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#597383 Oct 1, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
~sigh
I guess there goes my whole "Why pile on to make it look like he's more misogynistic than he is" inquiry!
I guess you would have had it coming even if that is how she meant it!
Damn you RR, you aren't making this easy on me
LOL
HA HA!!!

Hey man, I just gotsta be a jokester.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#597384 Oct 1, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
Now you want to play a word game.
I didn't say my belief wasn't invisible and you know that.
I said your god is invisible, IE: not present, tangible, audible, opaque or anywhere to be found. EXCEPT in your mind!
Oh YAY! The word game!

***my fav***

You wrote: "The only difference I haven't "manufactured" something you cannot see"

What does this double negative mean to you?

Does it mean that you HAVE manufactured something that I cannot see?

Or does it mean that you haven't manufactured something I CAN see?

Either way, you lose this round.

Your words, my gun-totin friend....

"The only difference I haven't "manufactured" something you cannot see"

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#597385 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't use self-closing hinges, they make the door slam.
Instead, use a commercial door closer, it makes the door shut and latch without having to hear it slam.
(that way the door won't hit you on the way out)
*ducks*
You know I'm kidding, right?
I will apologize RR...this conversation went in a direction that I never intended for it to go.

On a last note...never installed a self-closing hinge...I like to be in charge of my door...close it on my own.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#597386 Oct 1, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Yea....you're bad alright
'twas just a joke, lil lady.

In all honesty, I get bested by women all the time, I'm just too much of a pig, prick, mysoginist, whatever, to admit it lol.

My racial tendencies I try my damndest to control, I don't like them.

But my mysogist tendencies.... Those I hold most dear.

:p

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#597387 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO! You know what, I didn't even notice the "I'm a woman" part. I'm just used to women not knowing anything other than the best place to buys shoes and how to make a good pot roast.
My bad.
.. my mini misogynist man has returned! For a moment I didn't recognize you ..

.. like Annie, some women actually enjoy learning how to install doors or fix garbage disposals. Me? No way! Two neighborhood men fought over the job, went to Cosco and installed my new garbage disposal for free. Cost?$75 ..

.. role playing? I don't think so. I have helped both men with their computers. We help each other, that's how things are suppose to work. To minimize anyone's intelligence or skills based on gender is, well, uncivilized ..

<< wrapping yellow apron around RR that matches kitchen appliances >>

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#597388 Oct 1, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Lead cups were used to drink ale or whisky. The combination would Sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would take them for dead and prepare them for burial... They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.
England is old and small and the local folks started running out of places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and reuse the grave. When reopening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive... So they would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, lead it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be, "saved by the bell" or was considered a "dead ringer". And that's the truth...
Now, whoever said History was boring?
Super cool stuff, Epi.

Thanks!

(my fav was the threshold one)

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#597389 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad.
Yeah, we know you well.

If the pot roast isn't good enough, you'll be smackin' the woman around. What's a black eye now and then?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#597390 Oct 1, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I will apologize RR...this conversation went in a direction that I never intended for it to go.
On a last note...never installed a self-closing hinge...I like to be in charge of my door...close it on my own.
I know, Annie. No hard feelings, ok? I think it was grossly misunderstood by some, but not by me. You have an uncanny knack for "manly" things, more so even than a lot of men do. For that, you have my respect.

On a side note, you must have self-closing hinges on your fire door (if you have one). That's the door leading from the garage directly into the house. It's fire code, because the garage is considered the most susceptible room to catch fire - and it's uninsulated and not air conditioned or heated.

Fun fact. You know that the national code for entry doors in residences is 36" or bigger?(almost all are 36", though some are 42") They make it that way so that all ambulance stretchers can fit through your front door - a problem that early America had.

“God of War”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#597391 Oct 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh YAY! The word game!
***my fav***
You wrote: "The only difference I haven't "manufactured" something you cannot see"
What does this double negative mean to you?
Does it mean that you HAVE manufactured something that I cannot see?
Or does it mean that you haven't manufactured something I CAN see?
Either way, you lose this round.
Your words, my gun-totin friend....
"The only difference I haven't "manufactured" something you cannot see"
Pffft. I may as well argue with a well, all I get is a echo.
The simple truth remains, that god reins in the minds of those who believe. But does not manifest itself in the physical reality. Except through you and the body of believers.
That defines god squarely as a conception that exists in your cranial vault.

http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/through...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Lumajuice 810,356
loan shark needed asap (Mar '09) 6 min Laura 7
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 15 min Neville Thompson 20
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 21 min Neville Thompson 269,040
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 22 min RiccardoFire 39,664
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 25 min lightbeamrider 97,909
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 39 min AN NFL FAN 121,339
Dubai massage Body To Body full service 0559... (Mar '14) 1 hr perfect massage r... 206
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 574,347
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 11 hr Jon 19
More from around the web