And my favorite poem by Eliot.
A Rock, A River, A Tree
Hosts to species long since departed,
Marked the mastodon.
The dinosaur, who left dry tokens
Of their sojourn here
On our planet floor,
(...)
Rock, the River, the Tree, your country.
No less to Midas than the mendicant.
No less to you now than the mastodon then.
Here on the pulse of this new day
You may have the grace to look up and out
And into your sister's eyes, into
Your brother's face, your country
And say simply
Very simply
With hope
Good morning.- T.S Eliot
oops, that poem was "Inaugural Poem" was by Maya Angelou.

I dunno how her work made it's way out of her folder into my Eliot folder, eh, well.
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#595973 Sep 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometimes my mouth waters when I think about her.
http://www.bing.com/images/search...

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#595974 Sep 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
You'll likely never understand, since above, you've already misstated what I have said and explained, in detail, repeatedly.
Go and bark at someone else's heels.
Im not barking at your heels

You are simply getting frustrated as I take a closer look at your claims because the way you would have to apply them in real life just isn't making a lot of sense

I already said we aren't going to agree on whether it is stereotyping. So there is no need to go back and read it again.

I asked you a simple follow up question. Is there any group that shares a code, belief system, ideology, etc that you wouldn't consider tainted since inevitably some people in any group (especially the larger ones) will do bad things?

Why is it so hard to get you to stay on point and just answer a direct question?

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#595975 Sep 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not the only one.
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#595976 Sep 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_TFBFHx0gM8k/SvxSbjH...

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#595977 Sep 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a biased definition. It's a specific one.
<quoted text>
These beliefs are all falsifiable. They can all be formed by looking at evidence and applying reason.
The kind of faith that religious faith is, is not necessary for these beliefs.
You have a contrived definition of faith that is far more limited than the way the rest of the English speaking world uses the word "Faith".

By your definition it is impossible to be faithful to one's spouse.

I think you have been arguing to long with RR. LOL
Doctor REALITY

Little Rock, AR

#595978 Sep 26, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Trying to lighten it up a bit is all.
You're going to HELL without the Lord Jesus Christ, bowy!!: http://www.bing.com/videos/search... 's+waitin'+looney+tunes+youtub e&FORM=VIRE1#view=detail &mid=00D3A8E5BF4FAC3C9DEA0 0D3A8E5BF4FAC3C9DEA

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#595979 Sep 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just me.
Unless you're me.

Those who know will know. Those who don't will wonder.

Forever and ever

Bobloblah

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#595980 Sep 26, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah.
Here.
"The truth is that there is nothing noble in being superior to somebody else. The only real nobility is in being superior to your former self." - Whitney Young
Now that's funny. Funny. Let me know when the people that fill this forum bashing others saying how superior they are, how they are so much more tolerant start to live this. Till then its just some empty words, nothing more.

“Jon Snow”

Since: Dec 10

The King in the Nor±h

#595981 Sep 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
That depends on what we're talking about, doesn't it?
;-p

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#595982 Sep 26, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Im not barking at your heels
You are simply getting frustrated as I take a closer look at your claims because the way you would have to apply them in real life just isn't making a lot of sense
I already said we aren't going to agree on whether it is stereotyping. So there is no need to go back and read it again.
I asked you a simple follow up question. Is there any group that shares a code, belief system, ideology, etc that you wouldn't consider tainted since inevitably some people in any group (especially the larger ones) will do bad things?
Why is it so hard to get you to stay on point and just answer a direct question?
You keep thinking what you will. You've already demonstrated that you'll misunderstand what I do say, or misstate it, then run off on some bizarre trek that ends up with me telling you the same thing.

Over.

And over.

And over.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#595983 Sep 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but that is not necessarily faith of the kind I'm talking about.....
You are trying to force a definition on the word "Faith" that does not exist.
What you described is "suspension of disbelief", "ignorance", "Blind Trust" and/or "delusion".

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#595984 Sep 26, 2013
And what did I mistake?

You claimed the actions of an individual taints the group. You would apply this even when acting on their own beliefs or desires. You also claimed even though it taints the whole group that it doesn't mean you are saying everyone in the group would do the same thing that you claim tainted it

By your logic, it doesn't matter who actually commits the act. So long as someone dies the group is tainted. So why does it matter if you aren't claiming every Christian would commit the same act? If they do the act they are tainted. And if they don't do the act they are trained by association.

So even though we are not going to agree an individual action taints a group. Do positive things people do make everyone in the group look better?

Yes or no?

Getting a direct answer here will be like pulling teeth I'm guessing

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#595985 Sep 26, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> That was witty for a ex snake handling hillbilly scholar. Are you really the black sheep of the family or jusr a sheep biting scullion?
I think he is a dragon, or a serpent... you know he has a really long neck, and no body . NOT A SNAKE! He's a crafty one sneaks fruit into the loop.
You GF loves him, he is everything you blame.
DANG IT ALL, them serpents were the reason.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#595986 Sep 26, 2013
After this I looked and behold a door was opened in heaven and the first voice which I heard was as it were of a trumpet talking with me; which said Come up hither and I will show thee things which must be hereafter.

And immediately I was in the Spirit and behold a throne was set in heaven and one sat on the throne.

And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone and there was a rainbow round the throne in sight like unto an emerald.

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#595987 Sep 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
She said dribble.
Or did I spell it wrong?
You messed up and let him ,ugh her who ever it was ...on top. You F-ed Up!

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#595988 Sep 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
The march of progress stops for no woman, either.
Error

“What game?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#595989 Sep 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
An understanding of faith dispels the illusion. An understanding of how a magic trick works, makes the magic go away. People that have an overwhelming need to believe in magic will not look at the very real mechanisms that explain it.
Some people would prefer to maintain mysteries instead of acquiring knowledge. They would prefer to keep a large space open for the imagination to fill with projections of their own needs. Every new discovery tramples on someone's magical fantasy. You know that the belief has been damaging when they can't move on to the next gap. They were too invested, too convinced, too committed to the fantasy. The march of progress stops for no man, or his fantasy.
Criss Angel can fly.

So there.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#595990 Sep 26, 2013
And round about the throne were four and twenty seats; and upon the seats I saw four and twenty elders sitting, clothed in white raiment and they had on their heads crowns of gold.

And out of the throne proceeded lightning and thunderings and voices and there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne which are the seven Spirits of God.

And before the throne there was a sea of glass like unto crystal in the midst of the throne and round about the throne were four beast full of eyes before and behind.

“Jon Snow”

The King in the Nor±h

#595991 Sep 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Like walking on thin ice. I've done that and faith.
I don't do either anymore. I learned from my mistakes.
<quoted text>
I don't have faith, like religious faith, in anything or anyone.
I can't. My mind will no longer accept claims by faith.
Doubt is our crowning achievement. Faith is our biggest failure.
And horny is the biggest flaw.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Future of Politics in America 1 min Nohweh 154
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Bongo 87,852
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min MARKOTHUMEA 665,101
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 17 min Pegasus 284,467
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 44 min Al Capone 3,380
'Sugar Daddys' and 'College 'Prostitutes' 1 hr andet1987 2
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 1 hr Liamm 441
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 hr nanoanomaly 977,190
More from around the web