“The..”

Since: Dec 12

"..who whating how with huh?"

#595693 Sep 25, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>That isn't stereotyping.

It isn't stereotyping to make the observation that evangelical "teevee preachers" taint Christianity when it's found that they are immoral and bilked the members and public out of money and used that money to add to their personal wealth, or any of the other numerous things those people have done, taints Christianity.

It isn't stereotyping to make the observation that parents, who are Christian and withhold medical treatments from their children, based upon some bizarre interpretation of the bible, resulting in that child's death, taints Christianity.

It isn't stereotyping to make the observation that Christians, who have beat their children until they died, based upon some bizarre notion it's supported in the bible, taints Christianity.

It isn't stereotyping to make the observation that racist organizations and people, who claim to be Christians, and make racist comments in direct conflict with the "Christian message" - said to be in the bible - taints Christianity.

It isn't stereotyping to make the observation that misogynistic comments made by Christians, when the bible itself has misogynistic language, taints Christianity.

You know I could very likely fill this page with many more examples of what is not stereotyping, when an observation is made concerning Christianity, when those observations are supported by the actions of Christians.

It isn't wrong to point that out or make those observations.

It isn't stereotyping.
Observation being the key word.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

#595694 Sep 25, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
I can try if you can formulate a reasonable question about my beliefs. Then again, theists claim I an an atheist and atheists claim I am a theist. LOL
I don't know what you believe, specifically.
BenAdam wrote:
First you would have to give a very detailed definition of what you mean by "Faith".
The first aspect of faith is accepting a truth claim on insufficient or faulty evidence, and/or reasoning. The second aspect of faith is the maintenance of untenable beliefs.
BenAdam wrote:
I had faith in gravity since I was a small child. Every time I threw a baseball in the air, I had faith it would fall back down. It was not until many years later that I could calculate gravitational acceleration.
That isn't the faith I'm talking about.

Faith would be used for a belief that gravity is caused by invisible space monkeys.

Gravity is a fact of nature. We observe a force that does something very consistently. We call what we observe "gravity".

People who observed Saturn gave it a name, but they did more than that. They projected much more than their observations onto their beliefs about what Saturn was. We know that Saturn exists. We know that gravity exists. We do not know, or even have one reason to believe, that Saturn is a deity, or that gravity is caused by Curious George.

Faith is required when you want or need to believe something you aren't justified (as a truth claim) in believing. Once a person is exposed to reason, and it takes root in the sub conscious, it will nag at you when you try to believe something unreasonable. When you go ahead and believe something when part of your mind rejects it, you have cognitive dissonance. Acknowledging cognitive dissonance usually causes discomfort. There are many ways of relieving that discomfort. The most common way is probably pushing it out of your thoughts.

Faith is a workaround for our natural ability to discover what is most likely true. Faith allows people to believe something, not because it's most likely true, but because it seems to be of benefit to them. Faith isn't necessary for beliefs that can be justified by evidence and reason. You can believe anything by faith. What's worse, faith, more often than not, comes with an unreasonable level of conviction. I think that the level of conviction a person of faith has is a near direct function of the discomfort of their cognitive dissonance. It's cognitive dissonance that causes people of faith to doubt, which triggers a suppression of doubt, or in other words, an increase in conviction.

I've got the flu. My head hurts so I hope I made some sense here.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#595695 Sep 25, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok Larry. I'm good with it I guess. I like you too. I never understood why you never had any dialog with me...well now I know.
I am sorry. I can not change my life, no matter what or how I would like to...sorry I have let you down as a person.
You don't have to "tell" anything my friend...you just don't ok?
Thanks for being honest about it. I appreciate that.
I will try not to make any "waves" for you.
I was wrapping up and had skipped a lot of posts assuming they all just fell into the category of "business as usual" on Topix

Seeing this exchange by you and Larry was well worth the scroll back

Larry and I had a falling out a while back and have since patched things up

While I think I still had a basis for my position as far as order of events went, it turns out I was way off base about a poster he had challenged me on for going after

I would have bet money I had it right. Even knowing that all the game-playing on Topix very easily could have made me hyper-sensitive to the possibility in other situations.

The specifics aren't important and I have since patched things up with that poster as well. It took some doing as I had it about as wrong as someone can get it and in most cases the bridge would have not only been burnt but chopped down, cut into little pieces and buried under ground!

Its a testament to the poster that I was given a fresh start

Larry is good people. I am glad things are good with us

You are good people. I'm glad you and I got to the place we did

And I am glad you and Larry worked this out

While my threshold for Topix seems to be waning and my pessimism growingits not to the point where I can't see the value in finding the diamonds in the rough

There are still some good folks on Topix. I am happy to see two of them were able to see it in each other

Kudos to you both

Embrace the grey.

#595696 Sep 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Anyways, I'm leaving the thread for a while. Partly in disgust, mostly out of boredom. Will miss my friends. Won't remember the others.
What did I do? What didn't I do?

I can change!!!

“The..”

#595697 Sep 25, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>I don't know what you believe, specifically.

BenAdam wrote, "
First you would have to give a very detailed definition of what you mean by "Faith"."

The first aspect of faith is accepting a truth claim on insufficient or faulty evidence, and/or reasoning. The second aspect of faith is the maintenance of untenable beliefs.

BenAdam wrote, "
I had faith in gravity since I was a small child. Every time I threw a baseball in the air, I had faith it would fall back down. It was not until many years later that I could calculate gravitational acceleration."

That isn't the faith I'm talking about.

Faith would be used for a belief that gravity is caused by invisible space monkeys.

Gravity is a fact of nature. We observe a force that does something very consistently. We call what we observe "gravity".

People who observed Saturn gave it a name, but they did more than that. They projected much more than their observations onto their beliefs about what Saturn was. We know that Saturn exists. We know that gravity exists. We do not know, or even have one reason to believe, that Saturn is a deity, or that gravity is caused by Curious George.

Faith is required when you want or need to believe something you aren't justified (as a truth claim) in believing. Once a person is exposed to reason, and it takes root in the sub conscious, it will nag at you when you try to believe something unreasonable. When you go ahead and believe something when part of your mind rejects it, you have cognitive dissonance. Acknowledging cognitive dissonance usually causes discomfort. There are many ways of relieving that discomfort. The most common way is probably pushing it out of your thoughts.
I've got the flu. My head hurts so I hope I made some sense here.
Perfect sense and I prefer hope to faith, it's more flexible and adaptable.

I hope you feel better soon.

I could say I have faith based on nothing that you will get better but that might be misconstrued.

:)
UidiotRACEMAKEWO RLDPEACE

United States

#595698 Sep 25, 2013
Amy Goodman, Exception to the Rulers, p9

The Bush (evangelical Christian) team has invoked a basic principle of propaganda: Control the images and you control the people... The lesson had been learned from Vietnam - a lesson in manipulation. In Iraq, there would be no daily television images of the human toll of war. The government and the media would portray a clean war, a war nearly devoid of victims.
===

What EVIL !

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#595699 Sep 25, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

And then there are just chucks of coal

Even when not in a confrontational debate, the doucebag in you just finds its way to the surface every time doesn't it?

You are responding to someone who is a man of faith although he is not a Christian. That's how you talk to someone to responds to you sincerely? That sad part is that if you were having the conversation privately you probably never put it like that. But you gotta make sure the other trolls know you still are towing the company line right?

I doubt G will even notice or care if he does. Credit to him for that. But I remind myself that you are the guy who says he is against labels and wants to see people come together as humans every time I need a good laugh

Embrace the grey.

#595700 Sep 25, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
Perfect sense and I prefer hope to faith, it's more flexible and adaptable.
I hope you feel better soon.
I could say I have faith based on nothing that you will get better but that might be misconstrued.
:)
Thanks.

It's sound reasoning to believe that I will get better.

I'm getting some help from the Flu Fighters.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#595701 Sep 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be so modest. You're quite helpful.
<quoted text>
You're helping now. Tell us more, Christian. Tell us how Jesus came into your life and transformed you. Tell us about the love of Christ, and your promised peace that passeth all understanding.
<quoted text>
You are representing your faith now.
<quoted text>
Keep going, Jesus boy.
<quoted text>
Look! It's Scary Chicken time again! Arise chicken! Chicken arise and smite this sinner for me! Torture him forever in your loving, tender mercies.
Remember this:
Trifecta1 wrote: "No one will defend Christianity or Jesus to you"
IANS wrote: "That's obviously incorrect. You and Skombolis will. And you'll do it with personal smears."
I should have included death wishes.
<quoted text>
Your god is as impotent as you are. I defy it openly with impunity. And all that you can do about it is seethe.
How are those gifts of the spirit working out for you?
LOL. The only way I would be seething is if you won't die. You MUST die.:)

Just make sure topix is informed.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#595702 Sep 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Anyways, I'm leaving the thread for a while. Partly in disgust, mostly out of boredom. Will miss my friends. Won't remember the others.
Don't stay gone too long.

I'll keep an eye out for you, Hiding.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#595703 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Of course it does.
<quoted text>
I don't want a war. I just want to express my opinions about Christianity and have others rebut them if they can. You want to make it a personal war.
<quoted text>
And you don't think that comments like that reflect on your Christian training?
<quoted text>
This is you defending ideas about your church with derogatory personal comments. It's obvious you have no ideas of your own to offer, just your tantrums and feces. You are as empty as you can be.
<quoted text>
Threats now? You sound as if you're about to have a stroke. I hope I haven't contributed to that in any way. Maybe you should take a little time off from spreading the Good News.
Saying you must die is not a threat, it's a promise. You disagree? lol

You're a insignificant insecure inferior bigoted slave Yosemite Clown. You can blame the church for that comment if you want oy!lol!. Christianity does not care. But that comment is coming from me--trifecta1.

Does not matter to me how my presence here reflect on Christianity. Frankly if me being here keeps you an enemy of Christianity so that the Religion will be your demise on this billboard, I'm all for it.

Oh it's been a personal war ever since you came on this billboard. And it will continue to be a war because the endgame will be when you're dead and Christianity continues on without you. Maybe we can even get the Mexican Community where you live to build a Church on your grave. That's one way for Christianity to celebrate your defeat :)

“The..”

#595704 Sep 25, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks.
It's sound reasoning to believe that I will get better.
I'm getting some help from the Flu Fighters.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =xQ04WbgI9rgXX
Dude!

Shhhhh!

Don't accuse me of sound reasoning!

I don't feel like being "bludgeoned to death with big ass rocks", today.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#595705 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Skombolis belongs in prison. He is unrepentant about his crime, and has announced that he would do it again.
And it sounds like Trifecta should be removed from society as well. He certainly needs his computer confiscated before he bursts an aneurysm.
I'm all for removing you from Society--and I predict this billboard will do it :)

fight! fight! get on with the show Yosemite.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#595706 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
That's not your call, little man.
Of course your actions reflect on the power of your god and of your faith.
I say your that god is nonexistent and has no power. Your Topix posting is consistent with that. Where are your gifts of the spirit? You post like a selfish, petulant, thug.
And I say that Christianity churns out crappy people by the millions.
Go yosemite!! fight fight! lol

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#595707 Sep 25, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Sigh
And yet you said yesterday you aren't justifying or defending stereotyping yet you are back to claiming what individuals do taint an entire group that had nothing to do with it
And stop with the red herrings as nothing about our exchange had to do with the Bible of official teachings
I don't think one of you has the integrity to set your ego down and just be honest
You know full well stereotyping is taking the actions of individuals and broad-brushing a group. you are doing exactly that and won't admit it.
It's my fault any way. Every time I to presume some credit can be given I get reminded immediately the egos and the "sides" is too big of a stumbling block for people who came to Topix specifically to attack faith
Moving on
I'm not "broad brushing" the entire group.

I'm merely pointing out that those actions I mentioned and many others done by Christians impact Christianity in a negative way.

I tend to think, or I'm getting the impression, that you know those things do taint Christianity, and you'd rather it just not be mentioned so your response is to label it as "stereotyping" in an effort to quell those observations - as if you keep saying it is over and over means it is - is isn't.

Repetition does not transform your claim into a truth.

I've never said in any way, shape, or form that those observations made mean *all Christians* are doing those things.

It isn't stereotyping.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#595708 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
That's also not your call just as it's not for you to tell us if you're funny, smart, or interesting. That's also not your call.
I agree with Scaritual and the others who have said so: You are a bigot. You make bigoted comments.
If you don't like being thought of that way, and you can't be a better person, then at least conceal what you are.
Go at your ONLY purpose to be here is to fight Skombolis!

You want a war.

So I more and more curious the endgame for you. so fight fight!

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#595709 Sep 25, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Observation being the key word.
Right, and it isn't just myself or atheists, or "non Christians" that have observed this.

It's known of, talked about, and observed within Christian circles as well.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#595710 Sep 25, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
What did I do? What didn't I do?
I can change!!!
I hope it wasn't that cork comment I made a while back that's caused this...

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#595711 Sep 25, 2013
<quoted text>
But we're not.
First, we are not judging a group of people. We are judging their ideology based on its observed effect on them.
Second, you are not alone. All seasoned Topix posters have seen a huge swath of Christianity. We base our low opinion of your faith and its effect on people by the spectrum of behaviors we see.
When we generalize on it and point to specific examples, your rationalization is always this one, and it is always rejected.
You don't like that insight, do you, monkey boy? Why don't you tantrum for us. Stomp and fling your feces in Jesus name.

That's also not your call just as it's not for you to tell us if you're funny, smart, or interesting. That's also not your call.

I agree with Scaritual and the others who have said so: You are a bigot. You make bigoted comments.

If you don't like being thought of that way, and you can't be a better person, then at least conceal what you are.

Yes, we know. And you'll keep throwing tantrums when others do the same with you and your Christian ethics.

Yeah, everybody is a troll except the tantruming enfant terrible who will stomp and throw verbal feces when he doesn't like another poster's opinion in an effort to repel him or her away. Everybody that you think you need to do that to is a troll, right?

The stupidity of your rationalizing and self-forgiveness is stunning. What makes you think that you can post something like that and not be mocked? Even your bible contradicts you. Or maybe you weren't aware of that.

Ready for a quiz?

Hypocrite.

You have been tantruming about my modification of a quiz question which was nothing more than clarifying the specific scenario that it applied to: from "last words" to "last words on the cross" as if that mattered. Only the first question was asked of you - the second was to Juice. You might have claimed that when it was asked of you, that the question was ambiguous. If so, you should have been specific yourself: these were Jesus at the last supper, these were his last words on the cross, these were his last words last words before ascension, etc. That was all a diversion from your failure. What's your excuse for missing it again the second time you answered it, when the scenario was disambiguated? Huh, Christian?

You give yourself special dispensation, something that I have claimed all along is a result of your cheap Christian self-forgiveness.

Hypocrite
Look at Yosemite go! You heart rate spike with glee with all this war you have against Skombolis?

Let me see---a 60yr old investing so much mentally into a fight with a much younger man.

Can we say Stroke? why not.

How stupid can one be to lose 100K in a third world country?? oh that's right...you're so stupid.

You going to war to gitcha some Christians Yosemite lol.

Tell us again Yosemite how you "affect" Christianity? Tell us your fantasies about you defeating Christianity again Clown.

How about your stupidity that you have more credibility than USA Today oy!lol! you insignificant runt!

Check that heartrate Yosemite!---you heart strong eh? fight fight! Yosemite--war war Yosemite.

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#595712 Sep 25, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Saying you must die is not a threat, it's a promise. You disagree? lol
You're a insignificant insecure inferior bigoted slave Yosemite Clown. You can blame the church for that comment if you want oy!lol!. Christianity does not care. But that comment is coming from me--trifecta1.
Does not matter to me how my presence here reflect on Christianity. Frankly if me being here keeps you an enemy of Christianity so that the Religion will be your demise on this billboard, I'm all for it.
Oh it's been a personal war ever since you came on this billboard. And it will continue to be a war because the endgame will be when you're dead and Christianity continues on without you. Maybe we can even get the Mexican Community where you live to build a Church on your grave. That's one way for Christianity to celebrate your defeat :)
Good writing, writer. She's gonna love this one.

You do the work for me. All I have to do is say, "See".

Carrion

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Christianity a Religion? (Nov '08) 2 min yon 85
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 743,345
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 5 min Dally Mama 228,523
Looking for lawsuits in Michigan against DHS/CP... (Jul '11) 5 min DET0918 77
What Does America Owe Rush Limbaugh? 6 min Ed Teach 3
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 7 min Bev Jamison 1,545
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min Robert F 544,829
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 28 min Charlie Sheen 260,120
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 57 min Catcher1 174,183

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE