Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Comments (Page 28,459)

Showing posts 569,161 - 569,180 of598,695
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Michin yeoja”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595215
Sep 24, 2013
 
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Better check your shower!
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
The scary thing is over 90,000 people have seen this individual video. Who knows how many other instructionals are out there?
I'm not really shy, Skom.

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595216
Sep 24, 2013
 
River Tam wrote:
I'm still trying to decode it.
It's not Rijndael, but it's close.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595217
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

5

4

4

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
When one claims to be a Christian, one is claiming to be a representative of Christ. One should take that seriously or not take on the mantle at all.
No one chooses their race, they do choose their religion.
"We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us." - 2 Corinthians 5:20
Not that I believe Paul, Christians should though, right ?
Right

We are ambassadors for his message

Our actions do not reflect on Him

Our failures are our own

And they don't reflect on hundreds of millions of people whom we have never net nor they us

If someone acts poorly they make their own portrayal of their faith look bad. Nobody else's nor the faith itself.

It may be human nature to make others guilty by association. That some will choose to decide it is a reflection of a whole is a reality. Just as racism or bigotry is a reality. But it doesn't change the fact that the only person whose actions are representative of us the individual

What if a black community leader does something bad? Is it fair to say he has made all black community leaders look bad? That he has made his black community look bad? Does a politician who is literally called a representative make all his constituents look bad when he does something wrong even though they had no foreknowledge of his actions and many may not approve?

Whether it is race, religion, government, etc the rules don't change. We all answer for our own actions. And nobody else does.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595218
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
No one chooses their race or ethnicity. People do choose to be Christians.
Thats not relevant

It isn't even applicable under any circumstances unless someone can point to an official teaching they know for a fact someone follows and interprets the same way in that group.

But in any event that's not relevant here because the judgment being passed on all members of a group is based on the actions of one person, not the group ideology

If a mailman molests a child, should that taint all mailmen? After all, they chose to be mailmen. So does that mean they now are culpable for what any mailman does the world over are are individuals still just responsible for their own actions

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595219
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>i have read them all!
None of them are bigoted
You guys sure do love employing the same strategies. Deflection, non-responsive answers, questions with questions, etc
I will ask again. I fully expect you to refuse to address it on point because what could you say?
And after all your made for show rants
How does the action of one individual on Topix taint Christianity? What is the reasoning behind that claim?
Just look at the Spanish Inquisition, begun by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella. That's a classic example of something that two people initiated, that still taints Christianity to this day.

You changed your original question of, "Why don't you explain how the actions of one person taints Christianity?", to, "How does the action of one individual on Topix taint Christianity?", and that's fine. I understand you often do this. I can respond just as easily, no matter how you try to adjust your statements in an attempt to solidify your position. This is because your position is weak.

Anyway...

We can look at RR and his racism and see how that taints all Christians. It's obvious. Why? because that is something many Christians do, is example racism, and RR's evidencing that racism only goes to confirm what is known, and seen within Christianity. That doesn't even address RR's misogyny.

But we don't have to use RR's misogyny in this next example, because trifecta1 reinforced what is seen in many Christians, RR included.

The phrase "Stupid Woman" used by trifecta1 once again tied misogyny to Christianity.

As far as bigotry goes, your own examples of that speaks for itself.

It would be bigotry if I said >all< Christians are racist, or misogynistic, but I don't nor have I ever said that.

Additionally, your examples of bigotry are glaring examples, because you use stereotypes of a people - a culture or regional society due to a circumstance of birth, not belief - to use as a bludgeon in argumentation. Again, it's a weak position you hold.



Keep in mind. Christianity or being a Christian is no different than being a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Racist, Monogamist, or Anarchist. It is you choose to do or a chosen belief.

Those beliefs are open to criticism and Christianity is open to the same criticisms, scrutiny or observations that any chosen belief is subject to.

Those observations at times will apply to individuals that adhere to the belief set, and at times, will apply to the entire category or belief set.

That you still cannot grasp this simple concept isn't my fault.

You have to figure that out for yourself, and it will require that you examine your beliefs and understand they are only that, beliefs.

When I say that the actions of a few Christians, taints Christianity, that's exactly what I mean.

History is full of examples of that principle. That isn't my fault, nor is it bigotry to point that out when it continues to this day. by people on topix or in society at large.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595220
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, I suspect you know it ain't that simple.
While I agree that actions shouldn't reflect on the faith, I think we both know it does. Pretty sure Paul agrees.
As critical as I might be, one of the things I've never been able to abide is one who denounces a faith due to the improper actions of an individual in their experience. I think it shows an immature grasp of faith, at the least. But the fact is, people do. Whether we think it's right or not, the reality is, that's how it is.
So if I were in your pew, "representing" as it were, it seems the question should be - what's more important, what I think ought to be, or what is?
"Peace is the word, is the word that you heard,
it's got groove, it's got meaning.
Peace is the time, is the place, is the motion
Peace is the way we are feeling."
(I think that was a hit for Frankie Valli. Or maybe it was Lennon. Dunno, I was stoned that decade;)
HipG
Sure, I know the reality of it. In fact I was literally must have been posting about that when you made your post as I said:

"It may be human nature to make others guilty by association. That some will choose to decide it is a reflection of a whole is a reality. Just as racism or bigotry is a reality. But it doesn't change the fact that the only person whose actions are representative of us the individual"

But like I said, racism and bigotry might be human nature as well too

I accept its a reality. But I reject the idea that its correct to do

I am sure we are in agreement

Good to see ya Hip!

I actually checked in the Bush thread the other day and saw you had posted the day before and was gonna leave a "wave" but just decided I didn't want to post there under any circumstances. Please tell Bob I said HI if he is still around

(T) Peace

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595221
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not really shy, Skom.
Dang, if that is simply a matter of shy or not shy to you I ..um..have this awesome shower head I would like to send you as a Happy Wednesday gift

I'm not waiting for your birthday since it would just be pretense anyway!

;)

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595222
Sep 24, 2013
 
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Edit G
Consider your issues lately about racism
So if I see someone black do something bad, I can claim it taints black people in general?
And if not, what possible difference is there?
Both cases would be taking the actions of one person and applying them to hundreds of millions of people
I am going to keep pointing out these "ethics" by so-called secular humanists in here. And while its not personal with you friend, if you are going to defend it I want to know how
(T) Peace
I am going to real "blatant" here...I don't give a fly'n fuk when I have a subject engulfed with my blade upon their throat about to send them to meet their prospective maker. It's not "personal"(never has been)..it is a provision of circumstance...and that is all it is....their own "stupid arrogance" is what has brought on their demise in such a circumstance. How can one blame me for that...should I allow them the opportunity to kill me in the balance...I think NOT! Until you have been in my place, you have no place making judgement on my behalf. So be it!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595223
Sep 24, 2013
 
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, I suspect you know it ain't that simple.
While I agree that actions shouldn't reflect on the faith, I think we both know it does. Pretty sure Paul agrees.
As critical as I might be, one of the things I've never been able to abide is one who denounces a faith due to the improper actions of an individual in their experience. I think it shows an immature grasp of faith, at the least. But the fact is, people do. Whether we think it's right or not, the reality is, that's how it is.
So if I were in your pew, "representing" as it were, it seems the question should be - what's more important, what I think ought to be, or what is?
"Peace is the word, is the word that you heard,
it's got groove, it's got meaning.
Peace is the time, is the place, is the motion
Peace is the way we are feeling."
(I think that was a hit for Frankie Valli. Or maybe it was Lennon. Dunno, I was stoned that decade;)
HipG
I was pretty good with your post until you came to "Paul".
At that time I lost all respect for any more rhetoric you may have posited.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595224
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

2

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Just look at the Spanish Inquisition, begun by King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella. That's a classic example of something that two people initiated, that still taints Christianity to this day.
You changed your original question of, "Why don't you explain how the actions of one person taints Christianity?", to, "How does the action of one individual on Topix taint Christianity?", and that's fine. I understand you often do this. I can respond just as easily, no matter how you try to adjust your statements in an attempt to solidify your position. This is because your position is weak.
Anyway...
We can look at RR and his racism and see how that taints all Christians. It's obvious. Why? because that is something many Christians do, is example racism, and RR's evidencing that racism only goes to confirm what is known, and seen within Christianity. That doesn't even address RR's misogyny.
But we don't have to use RR's misogyny in this next example, because trifecta1 reinforced what is seen in many Christians, RR included.
The phrase "Stupid Woman" used by trifecta1 once again tied misogyny to Christianity.
As far as bigotry goes, your own examples of that speaks for itself.
It would be bigotry if I said >all< Christians are racist, or misogynistic, but I don't nor have I ever said that.
Additionally, your examples of bigotry are glaring examples, because you use stereotypes of a people - a culture or regional society due to a circumstance of birth, not belief - to use as a bludgeon in argumentation. Again, it's a weak position you hold.
Keep in mind. Christianity or being a Christian is no different than being a Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Racist, Monogamist, or Anarchist. It is you choose to do or a chosen belief.
Those beliefs are open to criticism and Christianity is open to the same criticisms, scrutiny or observations that any chosen belief is subject to.
Those observations at times will apply to individuals that adhere to the belief set, and at times, will apply to the entire category or belief set.
That you still cannot grasp this simple concept isn't my fault.
You have to figure that out for yourself, and it will require that you examine your beliefs and understand they are only that, beliefs.
When I say that the actions of a few Christians, taints Christianity, that's exactly what I mean.
History is full of examples of that principle. That isn't my fault, nor is it bigotry to point that out when it continues to this day. by people on topix or in society at large.
The only way I "changed" the question was to add the specific scenario in which you made your statement

You judged that the actions of someone on Topix tainted Christianity. I understand why you wouldn't line that as it simply highlights the absurdity even more

And you were not judging him based on an official ideology so this is all just red herring filler. Although I could debunk that just the same. But for now I'm going to stick to the exact situation we were talking about which you still have refused to address.

A specific poster who is a Christian gave his personal view. Please explain how that taints hundred of millions of people or Christianity on general? Do you have any knowledge that hundreds of millions of people share that exact same view zoned that they were taught it by the Christian faith because it is an official teaching?

If bit you are simple engaging in stereotyping and bigotry

As for my posts, please provide any where I denigrate anyone for being Mexican. Am I culturally biased? Sure. I prefer the lifestyle and customs of America. So what? That's not bigotry. That's personal preference. Is someone being bigoted towards America if they say the show Honey Boo Boo is trash? Reality TV is a part of our culture

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595225
Sep 24, 2013
 
Tide with Beach wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/T0N0LORUMAROFEJGO/post 595170
<quoted text>
And is known to the state of California to cause word jumbles.
And the dreaded letter avalanche.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595226
Sep 24, 2013
 
HipGnozizzz wrote:
<quoted text>Uh, I suspect you know it ain't that simple.
While I agree that actions shouldn't reflect on the faith, I think we both know it does. Pretty sure Paul agrees.
As critical as I might be, one of the things I've never been able to abide is one who denounces a faith due to the improper actions of an individual in their experience. I think it shows an immature grasp of faith, at the least. But the fact is, people do. Whether we think it's right or not, the reality is, that's how it is.
So if I were in your pew, "representing" as it were, it seems the question should be - what's more important, what I think ought to be, or what is?
"Peace is the word, is the word that you heard,
it's got groove, it's got meaning.
Peace is the time, is the place, is the motion
Peace is the way we are feeling."
(I think that was a hit for Frankie Valli. Or maybe it was Lennon. Dunno, I was stoned that decade;)
HipG
If you think there is such a thing as peace, you are a fool of your own folly.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595227
Sep 24, 2013
 
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to real "blatant" here...I don't give a fly'n fuk when I have a subject engulfed with my blade upon their throat about to send them to meet their prospective maker. It's not "personal"(never has been)..it is a provision of circumstance...and that is all it is....their own "stupid arrogance" is what has brought on their demise in such a circumstance. How can one blame me for that...should I allow them the opportunity to kill me in the balance...I think NOT! Until you have been in my place, you have no place making judgement on my behalf. So be it!
Im not exactly sure what we are talking about here BT

I think you may have misread my post

Or I simply am not seeing the connection you are making

My post was about not judging a group of people based on the actions of one member of the group acting on his personal feelings and not a shared group ideology.

What exactly are the specifics of the scenario you described and how are you applying that to the point I was making about not stereotyping? It sounds like you are talking about a very specific one on one confrontation in battle. I would agree anything besides addressing the immediate threat would be irrelevant. I'm just not sure how these posts are connected

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595228
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

scaritual wrote:
No. It won't be understood by that person.
Listen to this instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595229
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

2

BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Harry Truman gave the order to kill more civilians in a shorter period of time than anyone before or since.
Truman is the most efficient mass murderer in human history.
Harry Truman was the flood god?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595230
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I never listed a site Steve...not sure you know which ones that I read from. I don't recall which ones they were so thank you for letting me know that.
Actually I read from more than just one...I don't recall any ads but I don't know...maybe there was one. I actually thought that one of them was just someones blog...maybe you can tell me if I remember that correctly.
I have no reason to promote where anyone lives...I could care less. I myself would probably not choose Mexico...I have thought about Nicaragua however...in the end...I actually prefer my own country.
I won't be drug in to your fight with IANS...nor with LeLe...I will however post what I choose to...even if it is not in agreement with your thoughts.
There was nothing derogatory in that post...I didn't go looking for anything to discredit anyone else...I was just curious about the living conditions there. Since my grand-childrens father is from Mexico...I have a vested interest.
If you would like to post the links that I looked at go ahead...I myself could not care enough to go back and find them...since I doubt that I would immigrate there.
Ok then..
Yikes!

I guess we can say Skombolis and John Coffey did not like your post
regarding Mexico.
lol..
I think it might be safe to say- neither of them like Mexico as a whole.
I wonder why..

I am sorry he turned your post into something you felt you had to defend. And
I am sorry he used your post to bring me ( you andI) into his rant concerning your sharing facts re: Mexico.
I simply asked him if he'd ever been, and did he realize that many Americans have also fallin in love
w the country..
Why you ended up having to defend yourself --is the deceitful spin Skombolis puts on
everyone he deems an adversary.

Crazy the lengths some will go to "be right"..
Promise me Skombolis will not succeed in his attempt to quiet your voice.

He finds himself the moral authority of wsjlm. He took this role the day he began
to troll here.
If I wasn't so repulsed by his behavior - I might find him amusing- In a circus type kinda way.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595231
Sep 24, 2013
 
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quotedI text>
If you think there is such a thing as peace, you are a fool of your own folly.
I am asking in complete sincerity when I ask if everything is ok?

You seem pretty upset friend and I am guessing Topix may not be the reason

I'm heading home in about an hour. If you want to bounce anything off me by t-mail feel free

Hope all is well

(T) Peace

“Don't be so dichotomous.”

Since: Jan 11

Embrace the grey.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595232
Sep 24, 2013
 

Judged:

1

scaritual wrote:
And the dreaded letter avalanche.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...
Have you met Mr. X?

https://www.youtube.com/watch...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595233
Sep 24, 2013
 
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>The only way I "changed" the question was to add the specific scenario in which you made your statement
You judged that the actions of someone on Topix tainted Christianity. I understand why you wouldn't line that as it simply highlights the absurdity even more
And you were not judging him based on an official ideology so this is all just red herring filler. Although I could debunk that just the same. But for now I'm going to stick to the exact situation we were talking about which you still have refused to address.
A specific poster who is a Christian gave his personal view. Please explain how that taints hundred of millions of people or Christianity on general? Do you have any knowledge that hundreds of millions of people share that exact same view zoned that they were taught it by the Christian faith because it is an official teaching?
If bit you are simple engaging in stereotyping and bigotry
As for my posts, please provide any where I denigrate anyone for being Mexican. Am I culturally biased? Sure. I prefer the lifestyle and customs of America. So what? That's not bigotry. That's personal preference. Is someone being bigoted towards America if they say the show Honey Boo Boo is trash? Reality TV is a part of our culture
It's simple. You have a religious text. Christians have a religious text. Without that text there would be no Christians.

Christians claim to follow the precepts and teachings said to be contained in that religious book. When a Christian, does something or says something that does not adhere to the outlines in that book, it reflects upon all of Christianity.

What I pointed out is not one singular aberration, confined to one individual. It is seen thousands of times a day, throughout Christianity, by the individual members of Christianity.

It's no different when a football player or players for a team, or the coaching staff of a football team is caught doing something against the rules or standards set by the organization or governing body.

It reflects upon the entire organization >and< the individuals that caused that to be.

The problems within Catholicism and Protestantism in regards to child abuse and abuse are perfect examples of that.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595234
Sep 24, 2013
 
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Im not exactly sure what we are talking about here BT
I think you may have misread my post
Or I simply am not seeing the connection you are making
My post was about not judging a group of people based on the actions of one member of the group acting on his personal feelings and not a shared group ideology.
What exactly are the specifics of the scenario you described and how are you applying that to the point I was making about not stereotyping? It sounds like you are talking about a very specific one on one confrontation in battle. I would agree anything besides addressing the immediate threat would be irrelevant. I'm just not sure how these posts are connected
Ya...I may have misinterpreted your meaning....
BUT...I have given relative response to actuality...and you KNOW it.
It is what it is...and I live by it.
Simple as that....still

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 569,161 - 569,180 of598,695
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••