Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593313 Sep 19, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 6%-6
"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full. 6"But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you"
when taken in context, from the correct translation of the original parchment in kone greek and cross referencing with what the Q document MUST have said...on a day with a 'y' in it....
...it actually means..."type out your prayers on a website, for the lord thy god has fibre-optic broadband".
That makes as much sense as any of the apologetic loopholes Christians have made for the last 1700 years.

IMHO Christians have been doing the exact opposite of what Jesus taught for 1700 years.

In Christianity though, it doesn't matter because as long as you "believe ______ " you are going to Heaven.

If Hitler said "I believe in Jesus" before he shot himself then he is Heaven right now and 5 million Jews are being tortured in Hell.

Is that a loving God ? Not in any sane Universe.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#593314 Sep 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
With the cessation of hostilities :)
<quoted text>
Ok.
So the load from each differs - from the cat, it's largely body pressing on ground. For the siamang, it's body pulling on fingers. We would therefore expect differences in how the ligaments are built. Just something to think about.
Here's a chimp skeleton:
http://www.boneclones.com/images/sc-003-a2-lg...
A slightly different version of the previous true brachiator (the other was a siamang, this is a gibbon):
http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/11_01/g...
Both are articulated in how they locmoote. What's the first thing you notice about the differences here?
- look at the forearms of each
- notice the chimps are shorter, bulkier and have larger, load bearing elbows
- chimp forearms are not as bent, do not have as great a space
- chimp fingers are not as long
- chimps have a flexible wrist, but not a ball and socket joint
- chimp hind legs are stronger, with the tibia (inside bone) being quite large (the smaller, outside bone is the fibia)
All the above tells you that chimps spend less time swinging in the trees than do gibbons and siamangs, and more time walking. If you look at the chimp fingers, you can see how they're built for knucklewalking (although this isn't a great pic for that, honestly).
Also, note the skull differences. Put your hands on either side of your head and chew (or just move your jaw up and down. You can feel the muscles there. They insert on the skull - that's where you get your chewing power. Also, if you put your fingers directly under your cheekbone (zyglomatic arch), and move your jaw up and down, you'll feel muscles contracting and flexing.
So if you had to guess, which animal chews tougher food?
Just a guess, but I'd say the chimp chews tougher food.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593315 Sep 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops, I spelled "joint" incorrectly.
Your uncle is both correct and incorrect. It's kind of a complicated answer though. Two points:
1. H. erectus evolved to run. They're part of the human phylogeny, so we are runners, too. We know this because humans have the greatest endurance of any land animal. You can run longer than any other animal - if you're chasing it, and you are carrying water, the animal you are chasing will eventually collapse (that might take 8 hours, though). Humans sweat more efficiently than any other animal and one of the outcomes of that is that you can keep up continuous work, provided you have a water supply.
But you developed in Western culture, one that wears shoes and teaches a heel-strike kind of running. Heel strike running places all the stress on the cushioned, but not tendon supported, heel. That transfers the impact up the lower leg to the knee, up to the hip, up to the spine. The knees offer some cushion, but not a lot, and not enough for continuous heel strike running on pavement. So a shoe wearing, heel strike runner puts a lot of impact forces on each of the joints and ultimately the spine.
Non-shoe wearing peoples run with a front strike. Here's a pic of the human foot:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BVN-3lCWOZg/TBaXXDs...
Notice where the tendons and ligaments are attached. When you front strike, the tendons flex, turning impact energy into potential energy. The stretch stores energy up - it's released when the tendons "snap" back, like a very, very strong elastic band. This pic is a bit hard to tell, but do you see how the tendons on the front of the feet bones transfer energy to the front of the leg bones? The heel doesn't work like that. It's more like a rubber stop, and transfers energy up the back of the leg bones.
So when you front strike, a lot of the force from the impact is turned into potential energy, from the feet tendons up to the front of the leg bones. As the runner moves through their stride, that potential energy is released in spring rather than transfered to the knees, hip and spine.
Front striking runners therefore suffer from less back injuries than do heel strikers, though both can attain the same speeds. Here are some non-scientific videos demonstrating this:
http://www.goodformrunning.com/learn-good-for...
2. Evolution isn't perfect. It's made of compromises, and selection pressure decreases the older you get. So pain from things like running isn't going to be strongly selected against (only if it is so severe it decreases your chances of having offspring). The adaptations we have for running are excellent, but they're not perfect. To have stronger tendons, bones, etc., would require energy that our ancestors didn't have - when H. erectus evolved, it did so in an environment with parasites, predators, constant foraging for food, moving around, etc. Natural selection works in the sum total of the environment, not in isolation. So perfect running simply couldn't be selected for - there are trade offs with where energy needs to go, like brain, immune system, and so on.
Let's go ask cheetahs "do you feel it the next day? Do you have a kink in your back?"
:)
Actually I was taught the front striking running method by a smart coach in high school. He (and you) are correct, it made such a difference to not use my heels when running. Back then, I did the quarter mile in 57 seconds. Today it'd take 57 minutes lol.

I'd love to ask a cheetah a question or two. Lets do it!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593316 Sep 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
How are the two connected?
They both can be considered abuse.

One is a little more extreme than the other...

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#593317 Sep 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was about a week or so ago that RR referred to the 3 kids that beat up another kid on a bus as monkeys. I didn't watch the video of the beating so I don't really know what races the kids were. I'm just guessing that's what Catcher was referring to.
Yes.

Three black kids beat up a white kid.

RR repeatedly called the black kids monkeys.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593318 Sep 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's possible. I have been known, once I think, to make a mistake.
<quoted text>
I don't have any issues whatsoever with people who have different backgrounds than I do. I couldn't do what you do well. I'd have to take instruction from you, and lots of practice.
What I take issue with is people making false claims to knowledge they don't possess, as if they have some right to speak authoritatively on subjects they know nothing about. Only the truly ignorant can make such claims - I cringe when Hitchens misrepresents how our ancestors lived. I cringe when Dawkins misrepresents how evolution applies to human behavior. I cringe when Serah derides entire scientific fields as "naive" or when you claim that "no one" can pick up a bone and know what species it belonged to or what function it had.
All of those examples, each and every one, the speakers are overstepping their knowledge boundaries and making claims that they cannot know are true or false. I can make a claim about evolution and human behavior with some authority - I can't make a claim about basically every other aspect of life with authority.
If I told you how houses should be built, ignored whatever you were telling me, and then insulted you because you didn't agree with my fundamentally ignorant position, I can't imagine you'd think deeply on my words. You wouldn't search for meaning where none exists - you'd call the ignorance out. And why wouldn't you? You'd have every right, you earned that right through your dedication.
In fact, it was your claim about bones that led me to know that you could easily understand them. I thought to myself "I can pick up a hominin bone and, if I know its date, can tell what species it is." Then I thought "why can I do this?" And the answer had to do with how and why bones work - load bearing structures. Then I thought "RR works in load bearing structures. I bet he can do bones just as easily."
Hmm. That makes sense.

What led you to such a keen interest in evolution and human behavior?

PS.... RR can do bones. Just sayin'

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#593319 Sep 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I was reading the words around you avatar. Would you find this interesting?
http://phys.org/news/2013-09-scientists-cosmi...
Lawdy...I can't believe they are just figuring this out. Baby steps I guess. It appears what they have experimented with is simple "physical" particle entity. Scientists just can't seem to get past that.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593320 Sep 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You should read Thomas Khun. You often approach what he writes in "The structure of scientific revolutions."
<quoted text>
Ability to:
- map out genetic diseases with objective accuracy (if you have Huntington's we can tell you how old you will be when you develop the disease)
- eventually address and remove genetic diseases from humanity
- map out how malaria works in mosquitoes and our cells in such detail that we can develop drugs that target their very machinery (and the same with any disease; HIV, too)
in fact, the above point cannot be overstated. Knowledge of genetics gives us the power to understand in minute detail how any disease functions and work toward real elimination - not just treatment.
- modify the genomes of species such that we alter them to our benefit (i.e., gmo crops - yes, some people may be upset with this)
- demonstrably prove that race doesn't exist so that we can deny government that power of discrimination
- objectively demonstrate phylogenetic relationships between species
- dispel silly and dangerous myths associated with disease like stigma against disease sufferers, religious blaming the victim (it's sin, so it's your fault), and lay bare diseases such as cancer, diabetes, red hair, etc.
(red hair was just a joke!)
- work toward youth extension and, ultimately, life extension
All that is known from DNA? I had no idea. Is that why a doc can take a blood sample and virtually tell you everything about yourself?

No, red hair is an in curable disease that plagues humanity. Trust me, I have a brother and an aunt with red hair.....

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#593321 Sep 19, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You siad your friend broke a fry pan on her husbands head simply because "he deserved it".
Is that like beating a baby because "It deserved it" ?
Or is it more like raping a woman because "She was asking for it" ?
You are sick.
I couldn't agree more. I personally don't believe the story, honestly. A wrought iron frying pan does an incredible amount of damage.

I don't know, perhaps she was smashing nicely?

Some stable somewhere

#593322 Sep 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually I was taught the front striking running method by a smart coach in high school. He (and you) are correct, it made such a difference to not use my heels when running. Back then, I did the quarter mile in 57 seconds. Today it'd take 57 minutes lol.
I'd love to ask a cheetah a question or two. Lets do it!
Wow! You have me beat then. Ever since learning about it, I've been trying unsuccessfully to learn it. I can't. I don't know why. I just can't. I keep heel striking. I've gotten to the point where I'm able to mid strike walk, but it feels totally foreign to me.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593323 Sep 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for your opinion.
Anytime.

Make me a sammich.

Or some jiggae.

Your choice.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#593324 Sep 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Have you tried laxatives?
*PLOP*

what?

Some stable somewhere

#593325 Sep 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
All that is known from DNA? I had no idea. Is that why a doc can take a blood sample and virtually tell you everything about yourself?
No, they're not testing DNA. They're testing for various chemicals and hormones your body produces in response to various ailments.

So, if you drink you have elevated levels of some chemical that represents liver damage (sorry, IANS will know this one better). If you have prostate cancer, you have elevated PSA (I believe that's prostate specific androgen, but I don't really know - again, IANS would know) levels, relative to your baseline.

Basically, whatever you're doing to your body, there's some measurement we have for it, and that measurement is a chemical, not DNA, test.

DNA tests are not commonplace yet. And almost no one does entire genome tests. There has probably only been 1, to be honest. Maybe 5.
No, red hair is an in curable disease that plagues humanity. Trust me, I have a brother and an aunt with red hair.....
hahaha

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#593326 Sep 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah.
Thank you Mr. C and Tide.

Location hidden

#593327 Sep 19, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
The search has left him quite confused,
his tortured preconceptions abused,
lost and yearning, the cost of learning,
frustration from the bridges burning.
You do save all this stuff don't ya?

Some stable somewhere

#593328 Sep 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm. That makes sense.
What led you to such a keen interest in evolution and human behavior?
PS.... RR can do bones. Just sayin'
I don't know...my father constantly explained nature to me in such terms. My mother is a pharmacist - so she explained people differently.

I've just always been drawn to biology and ultimate explanations. It's the one thing I understand clearly, immediately. I read some academic's argument and I can immediately, without looking at the math, know "that's BS" or "wow."

Maybe I'm a one-trick pony, but I don't know what else, if anything, I could do.

Thank you for asking.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#593329 Sep 19, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
She talks to others in the same way though. Its her MO. She has proven it over and over. If the conversation isnt challenging for her she should move on, not boast about how far superior she is then any other.
I haven't seen that in two years of posting with Hiding.
Rider on the Storm wrote:
"The truest human is the one whose conduct proceeds from goodwill and an acute sense of propriety, and whose self control is equal to all emergencies; who does not make the poor man conscious of his poverty, the obscure man of his obscurity, or any man of his inferiority or deformity; who is himself humbled if necessity compels him to humble another; who does not flatter wealth, cringe before power, or boast of his own possessions or achievements; who speaks with frankness but always with sincerity and sympathy; whose deed follows his word; who thinks of the rights and feelings of others rather than his own; and who appears well in any company, a man with whom honor is sacred and virtue safe.” Markesa Yeager
I agree with the sentiment, but only with regard to the treatment of decent, humble people who are the victim of circumstances and who are respectful of others, not the willfully ignorant that arrogantly assault higher learning and treat the educated with disrespect because it is an anonymous Internet venue and they can.

This is a classic turn of events in this setting, because inevitably, the conversation turns to reason and evidence vs faith, science vs myth, valid argument vs fallacy and the like. And the uneducated frequently get frustrated, then angry, then abusive.

The options available for the educated professional in such a situation are to leave the thread, tolerate the abuse, or return it. If Hiding chooses to return it, all I can say is that I understand.

Then, somebody like you or Here For Now will come along to chide her for it, as if she came onto the thread with a bad attitude and initiated the problem, or as if she has a duty to remain silent. I disagree.
endtimes

AOL

#593330 Sep 19, 2013

BIBLE's "Silence in Heaven" ID's RAPTURE timing >>

Some stable somewhere

#593331 Sep 19, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Just a guess, but I'd say the chimp chews tougher food.
You're entirely correct. Chimps have a pronounced zyglomatic arch (cheek bone) and some have a small mid-sagital crest (the "fin" on top of their head, it's a jaw-muscle attachment site).

Compare chimps to gorilla:

http://www.skullsunlimited.com/userfiles/imag...

Notice the massive mid-sagital crest. So we know that gorilla eat tougher food - and they're largely herbivores, so they're chewing massive amounts of plant food all day long.

- still ball and socket shoulder joint
- still flexible elbow joint
- knuckle walkers
- notice the pelvis (we'll return here later) and how it's designed not to hold in the gut, but to provide stability for the legs
- the gut is stabilized by the rib cage
- notice the feet on both gorilla and chimp - both have opposable big toes (grasping feet). So they are both able to climb, but slowly, not like the brachiators we looked at before

But the bone structure is massive overall compared to chimps. Heavier, thicker - joints are bigger. So you know the gorilla is a bigger animal.

Compared the siamang and gibbon, it's arms are shorter, its fingers are about half as long. So you'd guess that it spends the majority of its time on the ground.

Now look at this photo, and tell me how it locomoted, what it ate:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DwLoVxgEQm4/UFhGuQ4...

Location hidden

#593332 Sep 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Would you like to be the next singer to share that microphone?
FLEA SPRAY !!!
I love Leon.
I like this one better. 2000 years.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =0W9JsskFVSoXX
Ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 3 min Paul really is dead 475
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min June VanDerMark 47,106
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 14 min DJ Crazee 39,286
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 39 min Aerobatty 990,701
LeBron James: Should he STAY or should he GO?? 1 hr MWHAHAHAHAHHA 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr kent 692,113
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr MWHAHAHAHAHHA 445,851
More from around the web