Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#593205 Sep 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have went with your first instinct:)
And you wanna know how I know you are a fraud and feigning moral outrage, most likely to get the attention off someone else?
Because you are bringing up things RR said months or years ago that you have known about for months or years. Suddenly now old posts have you in an uncontrollable giddy fit?
Why didn't your strenuous moral objections and offense manifest itself a year ago when the comments were first made?
Why have you had plenty of civil conversations with him between the time of the comments and just recently?
Nah, you aren't really offended Mr I would defend child molesters without inquiring as to their guilt, you got a different agenda
Carrion
It was about a week or so ago that RR referred to the 3 kids that beat up another kid on a bus as monkeys. I didn't watch the video of the beating so I don't really know what races the kids were. I'm just guessing that's what Catcher was referring to.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#593206 Sep 18, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't planning to post anything.
But I decided I want to tell you something.
RR also calls people "monkeys" because of their skin color, among other things.
HFY lies too.... just wanted to add that to your posting.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#593207 Sep 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
You are trying to change the subject
No, I'm not.
At no time did you ever suggest the measuring would be done on animals.
Yes, I did. Extensively. Especially in the post where I outlined how we would study it.

I can't believe you didn't see that. Please read this again:

"There are a number of ways to measure that, then. If you observe it, you can correlate the rage with other behaviors (was a lower ranked animal performing some taboo behavior - such events cause anger in primates all the time), etc. So we can develop a methodology that allows us to make predictions (if low ranked animal B performs X behavior, it becomes the target of A's rage) and test those predictions - do they hold up?
Other ways of measuring:
- we can hook up apparatus to the animal's brain to directly measure what brain areas are involved in rage. That will tell us a lot
- we can "sacrifice" the animal immediately and measure the brain in all kinds of ways through stains - which areas were active, etc. If we are able to get the animal to produce the rage behavior a lot, the relevant brain areas will be larger than a non-raging animal. So we can make those kinds of predictions, too.
- We can place microchips into the animals brain, or selectively destroy parts of it, to produce rage. The former allows us to rage behavior of and on at will, the latter to make it permanent. Both will explain exactly where rage is produce in the brain - and with further analysis we can determine the neurons involved, the neurochemicals involved.
- Subsequently we can develop targeted drugs that produce rage.
Done. Our analysis is complete.
Now, Skom, this is old science, dating back tot he 60's. We know exactly what brain areas produce rage and how to make them do so. I've personally destroyed the septum pellucidum of a rat to cause it to have uncontrollable anger in my neuroscience undergraduate class."

I mention animal over and over.

I can't really have a discussion with you if you aren't going to read what I write.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593208 Sep 18, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you know of the sun, when you wonder around in darkness for the most part. If it not fishy your not interested.
Sorry, Whisps, I have no interest in living the Dark Ages that Christianity wants to bring back.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#593209 Sep 18, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
It was about a week or so ago that RR referred to the 3 kids that beat up another kid on a bus as monkeys. I didn't watch the video of the beating so I don't really know what races the kids were. I'm just guessing that's what Catcher was referring to.
You are correct. That is when the comment about race was made

Most of this though has been centered around his wife and kid and the comments made like a year ago.

If Catcher really believed RR was this terrible person that physically adults women and children like he has been labeling RR as recently and claiming that is why he has such disdain for him, why have I seen hundreds of civil interactions between them from the time of the original comments and just recently?

That's why I am not buying this

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#593211 Sep 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
At no time did you ever suggest the measuring would be done on animals.
You're clearly wrong here. Answered above.
And that would have even less of a practical application as the stimuli would not be the same.
So your claim is that evolution produced two pathways for emotions. One that is caused through normal interaction and one that is only accessible to researchers.

Again, that doesn't make any sense.
But I asked three times in that last post hoping that would be enough to get you to answer
What would you do to cause the rage so that you could measure it?
I already explained this. Again:

1. stimulate the brain areas that govern rage
2. administer a agonist drug to stimulate the rage areas
3. administer an antagonist drug to inhibit the areas governing the cessation of rage
It's important to know to see if the controlled environment will tell us anything useful as far as naturally occurring situations.
Please explain how you would differentiate between the two at the neuronal and neural transmitter level.
If kind can't be replicated it doesn't provide much useful information.
The kind of stuff we're talking about is 40 year old science. It's replicated in every neuroscience course with a lab component.
But let's stick with humans for now as you originally were talking about humans and even brought up if for example I was willing to subject myself to that kind of testing it could provide the answers.
I never differentiated between humans and animals. That's a you thing. I specifically said that the brain areas governing rage are basically the same in animals and humans.
So...with humans...what would you do to create the rage that you would measure. You in the pejorative sense.
In humans? Humane manipulation of rage? I don't think it's possible. I suppose you could administer drugs to measure it, but I can't imagine that would be ethical - it's going to be very uncomfortable for the study subjects, to say the least.

Skom, when I was in neuroscience I learned about a lot of unethical experiments that were done and are done on humans, and these include implanting chips into people's brains to modify their behavior with the push of a button. It works. It works in humans just as well as in animals and it's every bit as evil as you can imagine.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593212 Sep 18, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
No Ben if a writing does not fit your thinking or is a part of your agenda you place a label on it as wrong, fake, errors, fabrication or any other excuse you can find. In short all you offer is a opinion. Life for you must be filled with excuses.
The Bible is what it is and not you or any of mankind can change that. Good grief they tried for generation after generation with very lil understanding what so ever. Your only one in the masses is all.
You can believe all the lies the Bible feeds you. I prefer to feed on reality and truth.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593213 Sep 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Hey what did the Tigers do?
Last I heard they were down 3-0
You are good at intercepting passes. <smiles>

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#593214 Sep 18, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Seeing you have accused me falsely of calling you an idiot, I guess you don't mind if I do, hey Idiot? Keep your boundaries to truth, and you might have a bit of respect going your way..... Lies are for the simpletons who can't get any respect when they tell the truth....
Serah, it's quite laughable, your last two posts. Quite clearly you're not against calling me names.

You have, in the past, told me I wasn't a scientist, didn't know anything, and on and on. And you say such things without knowing anything about science.

Here you are, demonstrating how above calling me an idiot you are. Well done.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#593215 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not.
<quoted text>
Yes, I did. Extensively. Especially in the post where I outlined how we would study it.
I can't believe you didn't see that. Please read this again:
"There are a number of ways to measure that, then. If you observe it, you can correlate the rage with other behaviors (was a lower ranked animal performing some taboo behavior - such events cause anger in primates all the time), etc. So we can develop a methodology that allows us to make predictions (if low ranked animal B performs X behavior, it becomes the target of A's rage) and test those predictions - do they hold up?
Other ways of measuring:
- we can hook up apparatus to the animal's brain to directly measure what brain areas are involved in rage. That will tell us a lot
- we can "sacrifice" the animal immediately and measure the brain in all kinds of ways through stains - which areas were active, etc. If we are able to get the animal to produce the rage behavior a lot, the relevant brain areas will be larger than a non-raging animal. So we can make those kinds of predictions, too.
- We can place microchips into the animals brain, or selectively destroy parts of it, to produce rage. The former allows us to rage behavior of and on at will, the latter to make it permanent. Both will explain exactly where rage is produce in the brain - and with further analysis we can determine the neurons involved, the neurochemicals involved.
- Subsequently we can develop targeted drugs that produce rage.
Done. Our analysis is complete.
Now, Skom, this is old science, dating back tot he 60's. We know exactly what brain areas produce rage and how to make them do so. I've personally destroyed the septum pellucidum of a rat to cause it to have uncontrollable anger in my neuroscience undergraduate class."
I mention animal over and over.
I can't really have a discussion with you if you aren't going to read what I write.
So you experimenting with animals and changing the natural order of what nature set in place for the animals.

Then from there it will be experiment on humans and change the natural order of them too.

Meantime recording all the data off of this thread to further your research.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593216 Sep 18, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Opps the curses of Eve just showed up.
But hell I already admit I am a sinner.
Aren't you a little old to be having "the curse" ?

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#593217 Sep 18, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Of course they can and will change.... we expect them too!!
Good because they're supposed to. They have to.

Welcome to the scientific method.

You are now on your way to reality !!!

Baby steps.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593218 Sep 18, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you tried laxatives?
He ate a box of suppositories. It gave him verbal diarrhea.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#593219 Sep 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Manipulating a test subject to measure rage is unethical.
Taking psychotropic medications in an attempt to treat any number of issues is not unethical. I agree.
Two different things IMO
Her point was that medication manipulates mood.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#593220 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I'm not.
<quoted text>
Yes, I did. Extensively. Especially in the post where I outlined how we would study it.
I can't believe you didn't see that. Please read this again:
"There are a number of ways to measure that, then. If you observe it, you can correlate the rage with other behaviors (was a lower ranked animal performing some taboo behavior - such events cause anger in primates all the time), etc. So we can develop a methodology that allows us to make predictions (if low ranked animal B performs X behavior, it becomes the target of A's rage) and test those predictions - do they hold up?
Other ways of measuring:
- we can hook up apparatus to the animal's brain to directly measure what brain areas are involved in rage. That will tell us a lot
- we can "sacrifice" the animal immediately and measure the brain in all kinds of ways through stains - which areas were active, etc. If we are able to get the animal to produce the rage behavior a lot, the relevant brain areas will be larger than a non-raging animal. So we can make those kinds of predictions, too.
- We can place microchips into the animals brain, or selectively destroy parts of it, to produce rage. The former allows us to rage behavior of and on at will, the latter to make it permanent. Both will explain exactly where rage is produce in the brain - and with further analysis we can determine the neurons involved, the neurochemicals involved.
- Subsequently we can develop targeted drugs that produce rage.
Done. Our analysis is complete.
Now, Skom, this is old science, dating back tot he 60's. We know exactly what brain areas produce rage and how to make them do so. I've personally destroyed the septum pellucidum of a rat to cause it to have uncontrollable anger in my neuroscience undergraduate class."
I mention animal over and over.
I can't really have a discussion with you if you aren't going to read what I write.
I never said we don't know what areas of the brain register rage. The debate has been over whether it can be quantifiable measured with any degree of accuracy

And this started over humans. You claimed it was stupid for RR to say rage and love can't be measured. He was talking about humans. You were talking about humans. When you first posted to me it was about humans

Just because it has been switched to animals after the original exchange doesn't matter because that isn't what was being discussed. And you specifically mentioned me (or anyone) volunteering for such a study so there was never a suggestion that the only way to measure emotions in humans is by measuring it in animals.

We can get to animals after. But for now, since the original conversation was about humans as was the use of humans as test subjects that could provide these results, ethical methods notwithstanding what would you use as stimuli to produce the rage emotion?

If you will only give an example of what stimuli could be used on animals I guess I will go with that but I would prefer a human example.

I know we can isolate what parts of the brain responds. Lets set that aside. What stimuli would you use to produce rage and how would it be measured?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#593221 Sep 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You can believe all the lies the Bible feeds you. I prefer to feed on reality and truth.
Well Ben the past has not failed me yet.
And the future has not failed me either.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593222 Sep 18, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
....Question do you come to this thread to use it for your own personal lab of experimentation??....
I do. I am trying to find out how many Christians have anything worthwhile as a result of their beliefs.

I have only found a small number of them. I respect them a great deal.

I have found that the majority of people calling themselves Christians here are no better, and in many cases far worse, morally and ethically than the non-Christians here.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#593223 Sep 18, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Been watching you for sometime now. Question do you come to this thread to use it for your own personal lab of experimentation??
Because your writing are sure leaving a ear mark of just such actions. Most especially amoung the Christians but not the non Christians.
What difference does it make?

When she writes, I learn.

When I learn, that's a good thing.

I'm uneducated but I have skills. One time I made a Spaghettio come out of my friend's nose just by saying something while she was eating. It was cool.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#593224 Sep 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't you a little old to be having "the curse" ?
Maybe your too old to cut the mustard any longer.
But Babes I still got what I was born with. lol.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#593225 Sep 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>You are correct. That is when the comment about race was made
Most of this though has been centered around his wife and kid and the comments made like a year ago.
If Catcher really believed RR was this terrible person that physically adults women and children like he has been labeling RR as recently and claiming that is why he has such disdain for him, why have I seen hundreds of civil interactions between them from the time of the original comments and just recently?
That's why I am not buying this
Not speaking for anyone else but I rub will rub his nose in it until he stops minimizing his racist and misogynist attitudes. "I'm not as bad as him" doesn't wash with me, I think you know why. Yep, that is a big bias of mine.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 9 min Neville Thompson 278,559
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 min Clearwater 180,127
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 32 min Neville Thompson 42,287
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 46 min River Tam 951,839
Gay sex in raigarh (Jun '15) 1 hr Diwakar 342
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr Mr Wiggley 14,826
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 2 hr sangili karuppan 1,993
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 627,950
More from around the web