Bongo

Hicksville, NY

#592959 Sep 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Not much they can do about it. Should I be ashamed that my education and certifications are worth as much as a Medical Doctor or Lawyer ?
"If you can read this, thank a teacher."
hey ol yeller, are you a per diem hack getting a 1099? Not that theres anything wrong with that.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#592960 Sep 18, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
.... we sold our God out for a piece of ass.......
Maybe you did.

I didn't.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#592961 Sep 18, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
More Archaeological evidence for the authenticity of the Gospels of Jesus Christ the Book of Mark:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/17/dalm...
FYI-Huffington Post is a Liberal Secular Online Newspaper.
Points-163,000
Scientists have recently discovered that the city of London, England exits, suggesting that "Harry Potter" is a true historical account. The search continues for the true burial site of the Potter

Since: May 11

UK

#592962 Sep 18, 2013
Yessiree 'merica is a christian nation founded on biblical christian principles and we should get back to that!

So we should feed and shelter the poor?

HELL NO! I ain't payin' for no freeloaders!

We should visit and comfort the prisoners?

HELL NO! They don't deserve comfort!

We should pay our taxes without complaining?

HELL NO! That's my money and I'ma havin it!

We should show love and mercy freely?

HELL NO! Thems is earned!

We should avoid violence and turn the other cheek?

HELL NO! We got to take out the other guy before he takes us out!

We should be gracious to foreign people?

HELL NO! They shouldn't be here!

We should heal the sick like jesus did?

HELL NO! I ain't paying ifn some other folks is sick!

What about seeking to end injustice throughout the world?

HELL NO! That ain't our problem!

So what are you suggesting?

Why...banning same sex marriages of course!

“Love much, trust none”

There

#592963 Sep 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh ya, lol.
And someday pigs will fly.
You can board an aircraft anytime you can afford it.

Location hidden

#592964 Sep 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
If your church was so good, why do you defame 'the church' every chance you get?
I don't believe you, I think you're hiding something biiger, something deeper that may have happened to you to turn not only a blind eye, but a mean eye towrds churches and Christians.
every moral citizen has a duty to stand against evil

“Love much, trust none”

There

#592965 Sep 18, 2013
karl44 wrote:
karl44 wrote:
you do not have the authority to rewrite the christian bible
<quoted text>
I have the authority to "interpret" the bible. I doubt that you do.
I was university trained to interpret ancient documents. Something very few Christians, including Bishops, Priests and preachers of the last 2000 years ever were.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#592966 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
First, we'd have to define them. What is rage? I'll define it as "uncontrollable anger." Then you have to define what kinds of observations you can use to define that, etc. We're going to use an animal model - I'll define the behaviors associated with "uncontrollable anger" as:
- vocal calls of aggression plus
- physical attack upon another conspecific
- not stopped until an outside force intervenes or the recipient can no longer respond
- let's define anger as the same, but with the ability to stop the attack
So if we see these behaviors together, we'll mark it down on our observation sheet as "rage." With me so far?
There are a number of ways to measure that, then. If you observe it, you can correlate the rage with other behaviors (was a lower ranked animal performing some taboo behavior - such events cause anger in primates all the time), etc. So we can develop a methodology that allows us to make predictions (if low ranked animal B performs X behavior, it becomes the target of A's rage) and test those predictions - do they hold up?
Other ways of measuring:
- we can hook up apparatus to the animal's brain to directly measure what brain areas are involved in rage. That will tell us a lot
- we can "sacrifice" the animal immediately and measure the brain in all kinds of ways through stains - which areas were active, etc. If we are able to get the animal to produce the rage behavior a lot, the relevant brain areas will be larger than a non-raging animal. So we can make those kinds of predictions, too.
- We can place microchips into the animals brain, or selectively destroy parts of it, to produce rage. The former allows us to rage behavior of and on at will, the latter to make it permanent. Both will explain exactly where rage is produce in the brain - and with further analysis we can determine the neurons involved, the neurochemicals involved.
- Subsequently we can develop targeted drugs that produce rage.
Done. Our analysis is complete.
Now, Skom, this is old science, dating back tot he 60's. We know exactly what brain areas produce rage and how to make them do so. I've personally destroyed the septum pellucidum of a rat to cause it to have uncontrollable anger in my neuroscience undergraduate class.
Do you remember the shooter Charles Whitman? It turns out he had a tumor the size of a walnut on his septum pellucidum (s.p.)- it shut the s.p. off, and he was unable to control his anger.
So we know exactly how rage works from a biological standpoint. We know that human brains function in exactly the same way that animal brains do in this regard. If you allowed yourself to be a test subject for an
http://www.psychwiki.com/dms/other/PSY307Aggr... 'ed%20articles/Harmon-Jones200 1.pdf
Hey HFY

I agree we could take actions and try to associate them with emotion and even try to rank the actions so-to-speak to decide the level of the emotion being engaged in. I just don't think it would be very accurate. I'm not saying sometimes actions wouldn't be indicative of the emotion we assume they are. I'm sure they would be. But I think people also act very contrary to their true emotions sometimes. I also think there I'd no universal template on which we could claim a certain act must correspond with a certain emotion.

It seems like it would be very in exact to say the least and sometimes completely wrong. At least if going by observable behavior. Scanning brainwaves would provide more accuracy but it would be hard to replicates true emotions, especially extreme negative ones, in a controlled environment. Which also is why I'm sure as you noted such a study would be unethical.

I think we can guess. And common sense and social norms would probably add to the degree of accuracy. Although we wouldn't even be able to know specifically.

Jmo

“Love much, trust none”

There

#592967 Sep 18, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey LW,
LOL
That is true about the iron skillet. My Dads Cousin broke a iron skillet on her husbands head. He came home drunk and asked for it so she let him have it.
Such a loving marriage! Bound for eternity and no divorce.

Brag on God!

Location hidden

#592968 Sep 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Argue it all you want. It doesn't change the fact that Christmas is THE most celibrated holiday in the world and a federally recognized American holiday.
I'd bet dollars to pesos that (when you worked here) you didn't work on Christmas. I'd bet you enjoyed a paid day off....
I see no problem with a national holiday in honor of the winter solstice. The government needs exercise caution, that it is not seen to endorse one religious belief over another. Many true believers will welcome the opportunity to honor Saturnalia.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#592969 Sep 18, 2013
What promise did God once make to Abraham.

The promise that he should be the heir of the world. Romans 4:13

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#592970 Sep 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Then you hear one say, "The bible teaches blah blah" as if it teaches anything at all, and another saying, "You don't understand scriptures like I do. I'm an authority."
That, of course, is the message of the quiz: the damned thing means whatever you want it to mean or its opposite, and that there is no such thing as a bible authority.
And this is a fine example of the kind of thing that we can learn here on Topix. We witness it repeatedly on these threads, and in my experience, nowhere else. We've seen literalists argue that the world was made in six days while those that find the contradictory science credible enough to be threatening telling us that yom means "ages." Same book, each side insisting just as vehemently that he is spirit filled and has the true understanding.
We have seen the dance of the Levites about which scriptures (Riverside Redneck?) chooses to disregard. With one wave of the hand, huge swaths of embarrassing verse that another Christian insist are valid today simply don't apply to him.
Skombolis just did something similar with abortion references. Almost immediately after telling us that "The NT doesn't say kill anyone and that is what Christians are under" he posts six scriptures from the Old Testament that he offers as arguments against abortion. Apparently Riverside Redneck, who is pro-choice, doesn't choose to see it that way. You can be certain that the eternally weepy and whiny finger-wagging Here For Now, who chooses to see those seeking abortions as "baby murderers," would go with the Skombolis version.
The bible turns out to be a Rorschach test of sorts. It can be used to assess the psyche of the individual Christian according to what he or she chooses to sees there. And each feels free to insist that he or she has authoritative knowledge of the mind of the god, and is arguing for goodness over evil.
LOL
I will explain it again. The shift from OT to NT has to do with no longer be under Mosaic Law for salvation. So anything to do with OT law doesn't apply to Christians today. That doesn't mean the entire OT is invalidated.

It establishes many things that remain the sane today. Just a few examples are God created everything, If a prophet's prophesy did not come true it was not from God and that an unborn child is considered a person capable of feeling emotion and having a relationship with God

Of course that is relevant to abortion as the question of morality is centered in whether the fetus is a life. You don't understand the Bible or what changed in the NT

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#592971 Sep 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I didn't work on Christmas. Can you guess why?
<quoted text>
I don't think that I ever got a paid day off for Christmas. I was rarely an employee. I don't remember if I got a Christmas off in the Army, but probably. I didn't as an intern or resident.
With hospice, I got paid mileage and hours worked, with no paid vacation or holidays, and no pension plan. I was really an independent contractor, not an employee.
And as you might have guessed, I was on call Christmas Day my one year in the Missouri clinic.
But so what if I had? Christmas as an American national holiday is wrong, and possibly unconstitutional. You would understand if American also promoted Muslim holidays.
how about Gaytheist Day 365 days a year and we all mandatorily face san francisco & salute the rainbow flag! you'd like that, wouldn't you now?;)

Location hidden

#592972 Sep 18, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Christmas is a wonderful secular mockery of the insane Catholic Cult.
"It's the most wonderful time of the year!"
Bless us Rudolph!
Praise the Zombie Snowman!
I see Santa and trappings, I see very little christian trappings.

UK

#592973 Sep 18, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> No ol chap, youre cukold.
...you can't even spell the word. Move along troll boy, the cafeteria is empty.

UK

#592975 Sep 18, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see no problem with a national holiday in honor of the winter solstice. The government needs exercise caution, that it is not seen to endorse one religious belief over another. Many true believers will welcome the opportunity to honor Saturnalia.
I hope all the chrstains have a cool Yule, I really do.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#592976 Sep 18, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
we are all not as educated as you. That does not mean that we are idiots.
She treats posters as they treat her. Those that respect her education and expertise are treated with respect. Those that don't are treated differently. They mostly are idiots.

Maybe you didn't see how this situation evolved. It didn't begin with Hiding saying "You are an uneducated idiot." It began with Christian anti-intellectualism.

People like Hiding, an academic, Catcher, a successful attorney, and I are used to deference in our areas of expertise. We come to Topix and encounter these Christian baboons and their arrogant insolence in our fields of expertise. For example, we have a felon / drug addict telling the attorney about the law and demeaning him as an attorney, and you've seen how he deals with me on medical issues.

We all three handle it differently, but none of us is going to return respect.
AnnieJ wrote:
I find the way that you treat people when they don't live up to your intellect rather arrogant and demeaning...as in
the way that you treated HFN because she didn't word things properly for you. I am not a huge fan of Serahs but still...there is no reason to respond to her as if she is less than you.
That wasn't about their education level. When they call pro-choice advocates baby murderers, I treat them with contempt as well. It isn't a matter of not having the best writing skills or knowing the most proper words. It's about intellectual dishonesty. They choose that language deliberately, and they are dealt with accordingly.
AnnieJ wrote:
How is the way that you speak to them...any better than how they speak to you?
Why would she treat them better than they treat her?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#592977 Sep 18, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey LW,
LOL
That is true about the iron skillet. My Dads Cousin broke a iron skillet on her husbands head. He came home drunk and asked for it so she let him have it.
Woo that shows be careful what one should be careful what they ask for. The gift may be granted. The firewater always produces bravery with bad results.

Location hidden

#592978 Sep 18, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>The information was not to "prove" anything to you. I don't believe it is the job of any human being to "prove" their faith to you.
The information was purely observational.
useless and irrational

at the very best, irrelevant.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#592979 Sep 18, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
Yessiree 'merica is a christian nation founded on biblical christian principles and we should get back to that!
So we should feed and shelter the poor?
HELL NO! I ain't payin' for no freeloaders!
We should visit and comfort the prisoners?
HELL NO! They don't deserve comfort!
We should pay our taxes without complaining?
HELL NO! That's my money and I'ma havin it!
We should show love and mercy freely?
HELL NO! Thems is earned!
We should avoid violence and turn the other cheek?
HELL NO! We got to take out the other guy before he takes us out!
We should be gracious to foreign people?
HELL NO! They shouldn't be here!
We should heal the sick like jesus did?
HELL NO! I ain't paying ifn some other folks is sick!
What about seeking to end injustice throughout the world?
HELL NO! That ain't our problem!
So what are you suggesting?
Why...banning same sex marriages of course!
"Why...banning same sex marriages of course!"

it always comes down to this with you huh - oh champion of justice!

yeah, mr char likes it up the sewage-spout alright, his speech always betrays him!;)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 min WasteWater 96,730
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min BenAdam 773,940
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Tony17 559,025
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 9 min WasteWater 5,091
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 12 min Remnant of 144000 39,338
Stop buying Chinese 18 min Doctor REALITY 3
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 21 min His Eminency dr S... 33,165
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 47 min onemale 265,018
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 54 min HipGnosis 175,551
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr HipGnosis 441,755
More from around the web