Why Should Jesus Love Me?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#592723 Sep 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But you can present your theories in ways that suggest they are facts, but they are still theories.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
We can:
- directly measure DNA
- directly demonstrate evolutionary relationships between all hominin groups and other primates through DNA
- show unequivocally that humans did not come from dirt (duuuh!)
These are facts, RR.
Lol

See? Told ya.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592724 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:

And what did I qualify all those positions with?
"Your deity exists in your own mind."
You've demonstrated your opinion.

Thank you.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#592725 Sep 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. Then you hear one say, "The bible teaches blah blah" as if it teaches anything at all, and another saying, "You don't understand scriptures like I do. I'm an authority."
That, of course, is the message of the quiz: the damned thing means whatever you want it to mean or its opposite, and that there is no such thing as a bible authority.
And this is a fine example of the kind of thing that we can learn here on Topix. We witness it repeatedly on these threads, and in my experience, nowhere else. We've seen literalists argue that the world was made in six days while those that find the contradictory science credible enough to be threatening telling us that yom means "ages." Same book, each side insisting just as vehemently that he is spirit filled and has the true understanding.
We have seen the dance of the Levites about which scriptures (Riverside Redneck?) chooses to disregard. With one wave of the hand, huge swaths of embarrassing verse that another Christian insist are valid today simply don't apply to him.
Skombolis just did something similar with abortion references. Almost immediately after telling us that "The NT doesn't say kill anyone and that is what Christians are under" he posts six scriptures from the Old Testament that he offers as arguments against abortion. Apparently Riverside Redneck, who is pro-choice, doesn't choose to see it that way. You can be certain that the eternally weepy and whiny finger-wagging Here For Now, who chooses to see those seeking abortions as "baby murderers," would go with the Skombolis version.
The bible turns out to be a Rorschach test of sorts. It can be used to assess the psyche of the individual Christian according to what he or she chooses to sees there. And each feels free to insist that he or she has authoritative knowledge of the mind of the god, and is arguing for goodness over evil.
Excellent and acurate post. Thanks!

What they seem to be unable to grasp is how ridiculous they look to 'non-believers'. There is no agreement, no concensus on a single thing in their reliigion except some vague notions about a Jew from 2000 years ago.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#592726 Sep 18, 2013
<quoted text>
And here we have another Christian authority. She KNOWS for sure, presumably because the spirit told her, and someday, the rest of us will catch up with her, presumably as her god is filliping us off to hell.
It is the claims of "Knowing" that I continually rebuke.
I give Skom credit for admitting that claims of "Knowing" are incorrect.
Bongo

Yonkers, NY

#592727 Sep 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Pretty funny, although I have to disagree with you that I come to Topix because I miss the stupidity of American politics. I generally try to keep my drinking from that cup to a minimum.
You're right - one of the benefits of moving out of the country was to get away from that. I really wish America the best of luck, but wishing is as useless as saying God Bless America, and I no longer expect that America will get back on track in my lifetime. It was unbearable to witness up close. Now, I only see as much of that kind of thing as I choose to - mostly from Bill Maher.
I found the continual bickering, stupidity and fail too oppressive. I just stopped caring about the liberal-hating conservatives and atheist-hating Christians, which comprise roughly half the nation. How can you support a nation half of which considers you Satan, a Communist, or both? My taxes that weren't being wasted abroad on war and interest payments on the debt were being spent in part to support people that considered people like me traitors. Sorry, but Homey don't play dat.
Add in a government that I believe is now committed to exploiting its citizens while imitating a democracy, and my sense of connection and belonging there disappeared.
Here's a present in return, from George Carlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =acLW1vFO-2QXX
Warning: it's pretty pessimistic about America, too. I've included some excerpts:
"Forget the politicians. They are irrelevant. The politicians are put there to give you the idea that you have freedom of choice. You don't. You have no choice! You have OWNERS! They OWN YOU. They own everything. They own all the important land. They own and control the corporations. They’ve long since bought, and paid for the Senate, the Congress, the state houses, the city halls, they got the judges in their back pockets and they own all the big media companies, so they control just about all of the news and information you get to hear. They got you by the balls."
[snip]
"You know what they want? They want obedient workers. Obedient workers, people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork. And just dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly shitty jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, the reduced benefits, the end of overtime and vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it, and now they’re coming for your Social Security money. They want your retirement money. They want it back so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street, and you know something? They’ll get it."
This is soul crushing. Its a good thing Jesus is coming back to save us.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592728 Sep 18, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
You have just one?
I win.
Lol

That's a "contest" I don't wanna win.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#592729 Sep 18, 2013
<quoted text>
The god is even more moronic than that.
His first draft of man was a failure, so he decides to drown them and try again. So what does he do? Does he rethink the plans and produce a new strain with better DNA? Nah, he chooses a drunk and his sons to serve as breeding stock to repopulate the earth. And shock of shocks, the people generated by this hare-brained scheme are just as sinful! Go figure.
I guess that the reason he didn't drown us all again is that he realizes that he can't do better, but still blames us enough to gratuitously keep us conscious forever while burning in fire just to feel it and scream. That's the evil side of this dimwit god.
What I'd like to know is why it can't tolerate sin. I can. You can. It's not that hard. Are we more powerful than this god in that regard? It has conniptions over the matter.
And what is it planning to do with so many sinners in heaven? Learn to get over it? Correct their sin nature? Can it do those things? If so, why not do it now? Why does it need hell?
Of course, the god is not the evil imbecile. The god is just a myth. It's the church that propagates this sin and hell theology that is so malevolent, and the people in its sway that call it supreme love that are a little weak upstairs.
Agreed!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#592730 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Serah, your kitchen walls are black! You shouldn't have painted them black with white pokadots. It looks terrible.
What? I know I've never been to your kitchen and I realize that I know nothing about you or your house, but I just have this very strong, unshakeable feeling that you have painted your kitchen walls black with white pokadots and I know how wrong that is.
That is what I believe as well so it must be true!
Now lets tell everyone what an ugly kitchen she has!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#592731 Sep 18, 2013
karl44 wrote:
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
Saturnalia
the solstice
jesus is merely the most recent iteration of the sun god.
<quoted text>
I stand corrected, I should have said "jesus the christ" so the reference was clear
Thank you.
The deities of Chrisitianity have little to do with any people, beliefs or events of the 1st Cent. Judea.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592732 Sep 18, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I think Catcher just likes throwing hissy fits
And it gets the attention of Ians or the lies Catcher has been caught in
I mean a guy who claims he would never turn down a client no matter what kind of person he was or whatever crime had committed (I specifically asked him about child molesters and he reiterated he'd turn away no one) is really gonna pretend he is all out of sorts cause you smacked someone on the top of the head to get them to stop biting you or tapped a baby's butt to discipline?
Who is he kidding?
But he is very, very interested in everything you do
Maybe he has pickles and lotion on the brain?
Lol

I don't think it's the brain he wants the pickles and lotion on.....

“"None shall pass"”

There

#592733 Sep 18, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>You asked for a list for the rights of Mother and Baby....(
No she didn't. She asked for an intelligent comparison of rights.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592734 Sep 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Puleeeze....
Since when is a high school day only five hours long?
karl44 wrote:

9 to 3
hour off for lunch
It's been a while since you've checked a high school schedule, Huh?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#592735 Sep 18, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Great that you know how wrong you are because you are extremely wrong. Again.
Thank you piggy for calling the raccoon a dirty beast.

"Lie for Jesus!" - Serah

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592736 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did you start drinking only 3 or 4 years ago?
*shrugs*

Dunno. I just did.

Back in the day, when I was in construction, many guys would go to bars a lot after work. But I never drink, I would get a coffee or Coke, I just wasn't interested in drinking yet.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592737 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Well, you'd have to write her a note saying that it's ok for someone her age to buy you alcohol.
Nah

That's what boobie flashes r 4.

:p

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592738 Sep 18, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Ego?!
Pffft. You wanna hear about ego?
Earlier today, I sent mrs RR a text, told her to get more beer.
She just called and asked if she didn't have to.
WTF?
Women.
Black Thunder 42 wrote:

Geeze. It's yer poor methods of tact an communication that causes all yer prollems silly.
Here...listen up...next time do this...
"Hi baby...it's been a real rough day, an think'n of you is what got me through it all.
Ya know what would be the perfect end of all this hardship? Com'n home to the best thing that ever happened in my life, and then shar'n a toast to it all with my favorite drink(that I know will be on the fridge)....look'n forward to it all when I finally get home."
Not jist "Git more beer".
Nah.

She came home with more beer...
Patrick

Brooklyn, NY

#592739 Sep 18, 2013
I am certainly not a Biblical Scholar, but I am a humble Christian, trying to weave through life in a way that I believe God wants me to live. Many say the core tenet of the bible is love. The call to love is not a mushy Hallmark card. It is a love of forgiveness, of patience, of humility, of helping, of caring. I believe this. I also believe the bible requires that we hate. We must hate intolerance, poverty, bigotry, greed, war, and most of all, we must hate indifference. "I don't care" is what allows the survival of everything God wants us to hate. May God bless everyone, and may someone in the world find His Glory today.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592740 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:

What did I write? Let's check:
"The point is, our biological science predicts that, if similar conditions to the early Earth exist on other plants, we should expect the similar outcome of life. Do I believe in life elsewhere? It's more like a prediction - there are billions and billions of planets. At least a few of them must have had conditions similar to Earth, and there is probably life on them."
Do you believe you honestly represented what I wrote here? I don't.
"At least a few of them must have had conditions similar to Earth, and there is probably life on them"

Yes, you believe. With zero evidence.

"There must be!" is your opinion.

Thanks for sharing it.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592741 Sep 18, 2013
karl44 wrote:

you do not have the authority to rewrite the christian bible
For some reason, you think you do.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#592742 Sep 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:

Someone is so desperate to attack me they can't read properly. Who could it be? Maybe RR! Oh, yes, it's RR! A-boo-boo-boo! A-boo-boo boo! Who's a cute boy? Who's a widdle, iddy biddy cutesy boy? It's RR! Yes you are, yes you are! A-boo-boo-boo! A-boo-boo boo!
Meltdown.

That was easy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min NotSoDivineMsM 47,190
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Robert F 692,138
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 22 min nanoanomaly 990,703
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) 1 hr Caliboy 14
How do I message you about a post from the past... 1 hr elcy2015 1
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 3 hr Paul really is dead 466
TWA Flight 800 (Jul '13) 5 hr Doctor REALITY 7
More from around the web