Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I already changed the topic.
It's all about ME now, dammit.
Wish me luck on my date and the loss of my job.
Congratulations on the loss of your job! It wasn't you.

You'll do great with your date, provided she's into interesting, brilliant and humorous girls who are modest and shy. If she's not into you, she's an idiot and we can toss her to the wolves.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I was gonna say cornbread, but then I looked it up on urbandictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...

I knew "cornbread" could be used in a few different ways, however I wouldn't have imaged over 20 different ways.

Just call me scar, or scaritual.

If anyone here wants me to be insulted by that, just say so, and I'll take it as an insult, or not. Probably not.

hahaaa...
lol

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>That's the point. I certainly wasn't talking about biological benefits, but social ones.
I know.

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>No you didn't miss anything, it's all much of a muchness where he's concerned.

4000 posts per month with not a single redeeming feature.
Are you the god of sarcasm?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly - what I have been saying.
<quoted text>
After 1, they can talk. Pretty sure they have more complex understandings of people than a 6 month old.
Yeah

I mean, I don't believe for a second he hurt a 6 month old

But imo it probably didn't accomplish anything either

But hey, babies can have you losing your mind. Ideas that might seem crazy suddenly become more tempting

I have found myself pleading with an infant to stop crying like he can understand me! And I know people will say like with dogs it is the voice inflection they respond to. But if that was the case I could just talk gibberish to them. I become quite convinced they understand me, especially when I'm suffering from sleep deprivation. And probably attribute more credit to their thought process than I should

So 6 months IMHO is too early for them them to understand. But not like tapping a baby on the butt is gonna bother them much

JMO

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I like the term 'word salad'.
Yeah.

With metaphorical dressing, too.

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Hey. Sorry. Just getting disgusted reading RR's posts and want to change topics. Perhaps the solution is just to add him to the ignore list.
Nah don't ignore him.

I like quotes, this is a good one from god aka Morgan Freeman.

"One way of eradicating racism, is to simply stop talking about it."

Or something like that.

I like it because maybe, just maybe, if it isn't perpetuated, it will cease to exist.

I've seen this concept in action with my babies, they didn't know it existed until I let them mingle with society.

It was never mentioned in my house.

People are people.

Just a thought. I have many.

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Hey. Sorry. Just getting disgusted reading RR's posts and want to change topics. Perhaps the solution is just to add him to the ignore list.
Oh and no need to apologise sweetie :D

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>shhhhh....

Hi, Luci.
Oh yes um, you whatever you!

Hi, Scar.

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well there was really only one way to go from the original and that is up!
The only way is up.. I mean um, yes, right you are.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Control crying is bullshit and very wrong.
You are right.
Those who invented these concepts are wrong.
Now there are book on 'natural parenting' and people are going on about it like it's a new concept.
*rolls eyes*
From what I've seen. There are people who have kids then expect them to conform to their lives and those are the people who think letting an infant cry him or herself to sleep, is healthy for the baby.
It's not healthy and there are studies showing that it has detrimental effects on brain development. Hopefully, laws will eventually catch up. Social Services are a joke sometimes, they have been known to lecture a mother on the negative effects of vegetarianism.
Sigh.
Good on Soleil aka Amy, for writing that book.
She knows what many of us do,'natural parenting', is in no way, a new concept.
Ffs.
Is that a term? Controlled crying?

I didn't even know that was an entire thing. I just assumed a few people were going by personal experience.

I have to admit, to me it felt like the baby just learns to give up because his/her needs won't be met

I know there have been studies about separating a child from the mother and not returning smiles that can cause serious attachment disorders if done too long when the child grows up

Supposedly these studies didn't push it to the point that was hypothesized this would happen but I don't like the idea of even trying to push the limits

I know it is way, way, way easier said than done. Especially from a non-parent. But I think you get up and rock the baby to sleep

I'd probably want to cut my ears off if a baby had colic. But the normal stuff just kinda feels like part of the deal. I think its great someone had the kid. But they should know for the first year that sleep is going to be a luxury

Although props to parents everywhere. God love them. I have said it many times. I couldn't do it.

I do like playing the relief pitcher though. I get to come in late for a few innings and be the hero. And then not have to do anything for a few days! LOL

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>I've seen your photos. You're a hottie.

Now move to North Korea to marry me in front of Dear Leader! You will be at peace, living so close to our Father. Kamisamida!

(that's be my bestest Korean)

_________

Uhm, yeah. I like your writing. It's usually gentler than mine because of your confidence and strength, both of character and will.

And your sense of humor is great, too.

You mix intelligent comments and critiques with stories, never take any bs, and aren't swayed by the irrational. I...have to stop now...other posters are staring.
O_O

lol

Since: May 11

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you the god of sarcasm?
It may come off that way sometimes, but with all the double digit IQ's on this thread sarcasm is too much of a risk.

I shoot for ascerbic-ness rather than sarcasm, it doesn't necessitate the making of endless explanations to those who don't...'appreciate' the artform if you catch my meaning...and I'm so sure you do.

;o)

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah.

With metaphorical dressing, too.
Oh lol.

I did make some long posts.

Back to laughing.

jill hart photography

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>Go to sleep, bowy....
You'd like that wouldn't you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

-The kids across the street challenged me to a water fight, so I'm currently boiling the water.

-I told the doctor I broke my leg in two places. He told me to stop going to those places.

-Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

Have a good day everyone

“You have blue shoes”

Since: Mar 11

Please change them

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LuciFerr wrote:
None actually, this is social construct. Being perpetuated.
Right now.
This is worth revisiting. We've discussed, on this thread, enculturation and we've touched upon cultural construction, societal inequalities and structural violence. How do they make "race" a social and biological reality? Please note, that when I write "biological" here, I do not mean as in "supporting of racist arguments" but "biological changes between groups that can be measured."

Let me clarify: there are no performance differences between the so-called races. Nor are there significant genetic differences.

So I'm not talking about a genetic difference here. Differences between groups of people, where people w/in those groups identify w/each other through a believed, shared heritage and culture, lie in the processes of development w/in differing socio-economic and cultural realities.

Humans are social animals that evolved flexible development and flexible brain growth. At the time of your birth, you were capable of speaking any language, learning any culture but your development cut those choices down. The vast majority of single-language learners are incapable of picking up a 2nd language w/out an accent - b/c the brain cells that govern learning new phonemes are dead.

Almost all neuronal death happens in the first three years of life. Brains develop in response to culture through a process of elimination. In terms of language, they learn the phonemes of the particular language the infant is developing w/in and kill off neurons that govern other phonemes (human phonemic potential is around 888; each language only has around 30 or so).

The same happens w/enculturation. Alternative cultural patterns are lost - take sexuality, for eg. In roughly 10% of all PNG cultures, opposite sex sex is considered dangerous and unhealthy - it's feminizing. So normal masculinity, done by all adult males in these groups, is performed through same sex sexual behavior.

If an American child grew up under those cultural conditions, they'd feel the same way about sex as the PNG groups do. But clearly you cannot take an adult American heterosexual male, stick them in the PNG context and expect them to acclimate - it won't happen.

Back to race: races are created by the hegemonic describing themselves and their identity in opposition to "the other." "We are not like X. X is Y and P and Q, and those characters are innate. Our character, which is not Y, P or Q, is of course, better."

Discrimination helps define races; it prevents human groups from achieving equal health, nutritional and economic resources. That results in increased stress, which makes permanent and semi-permanent changes in developing children.

In extreme scarcity, human bodies are evolved to compromise on growth. The first thing to go is physical stature and strength (hence, peoples in poor nations are shorter and have less musculature than those in wealthy nations). Next to go is the immune system, followed by the brain. The brain is always the last, but once the immune system is compromised, most children won't finish their development.

Less extreme poverty, but still filled with uncertainty and high stress, results in decreased cognitive capabilities, decreased planning abilities, long term stress damage on the body (it seems to select for shorter strategies that decrease lifespan via organ damage) and different focus. These leave their mark on developing children. These kinds of deficits will be seen among the poorest of wealthy nations, regardless of "race."

However, when a particular group is marginalized through structural inequalities associated with race and racism, the marginalized will appear as a unified biological group, despite that the only shared biology lies in development w/in a similarly resource impoverished environment.

Hence, medical research sometimes incorrectly focuses on "ethnic diseases" w/out focusing on poverty + discrimination as the cause.

“You have blue shoes”

Please change them

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Nah don't ignore him.
I like quotes, this is a good one from god aka Morgan Freeman.
"One way of eradicating racism, is to simply stop talking about it."
Or something like that.
I like it because maybe, just maybe, if it isn't perpetuated, it will cease to exist.
I've seen this concept in action with my babies, they didn't know it existed until I let them mingle with society.
It was never mentioned in my house.
People are people.
Just a thought. I have many.
That's exactly how I grew up. I was incredibly shocked when I first discovered sexism. Shortly after that, racism. What a world we live in.

And now I deeply despise them both.

Cry Havoc and let slip the dogs of war!!!

(the bard really should have triple apostrophed, he had every right to)

“Let the games begin. . .”

Since: Jun 13

Botany Bay

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't that what everyone does here?
Rile each other up?
Every day without fail, Luci.
:-)

“You have blue shoes”

Please change them

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2013

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah
I mean, I don't believe for a second he hurt a 6 month old
But imo it probably didn't accomplish anything either
But hey, babies can have you losing your mind. Ideas that might seem crazy suddenly become more tempting
I have found myself pleading with an infant to stop crying like he can understand me! And I know people will say like with dogs it is the voice inflection they respond to. But if that was the case I could just talk gibberish to them. I become quite convinced they understand me, especially when I'm suffering from sleep deprivation. And probably attribute more credit to their thought process than I should
So 6 months IMHO is too early for them them to understand. But not like tapping a baby on the butt is gonna bother them much
JMO
I wrote some of what you wrote to RR and he just took an elitist stance w/regard to parenting, b/c I don't have kids.

Ha! I got to accuse someone else of elitism!

Yes! My day is finished. Now I just have to go browbeat the neighbors, steal umbrellas from the umbrella holders, put some nails under tires and key a couple of expensive cars and I'll have a wonderful sleep.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

719 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 2 min RFD 1,554
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min Charlie Sheen 256,765
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 min Stilgar Fifrawi 224,427
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min waaasssuuup 721,783
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Michael 533,141
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min RiccardoFire 93,795
Hot gays in Abu Dhabi (Nov '13) 8 min Filipino guy 417
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 8 min Krackerjacks 115,422
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 4 hr Nixxi 84
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••