“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#589523 Sep 13, 2013
Hey there....How U doin????

Its better to be an optimist who is sometimes wrong than a pessimist who is always right.

Thought for the day

“The who whating how...”

Since: Dec 12

"...with huh?"

#589524 Sep 13, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I tapped a baby once

But that's only because he was cradling on the ceiling

And he was getting in the way of some cooler hallucinations

That's the last time I order a pizza with mushrooms at a Grateful Dead concert:)
lol

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#589525 Sep 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Very good.
<quoted text>
Harm is dependent on the individual circumstances surrounding each manifestation. The victim's "race" may be a deciding correlative factor, but not a causative one.
In the context of pre-Civil War America, one "white" man could come across two "black" men, one free, and one a slave, and say the same thing to both of them, and cause a different level of harm to each, the slave likely feeling more harm than the free man. They are both "black", but one is clearly more disadvantaged. It is only natural to assume that being reminded of that status is different than being reminded of a slightly better status. The free man may feel some comfort in knowing, "At least I'm not still a slave, so I can withstand this more now."
(I use "manifestation" because racism can also manifest as inaction, in case you were wondering)
<quoted text>
I present the possibility that different groups, and further, each individual, respond differently to the exact same stimulus.
I have not once been harmed in any notable way by racism, personally. Most people in the hegemonic probably feel the same way. Most minority group members probably feel as though they have been harmed by racism several times, if not continually.
<quoted text>
Racism is intolerance and prejudice based on a thing called "race".
Manifestations of racism could come in the form of hate speech or hate bombs. I think hate bombs would be worse.
Not-racism is always preferable to racism. That can be a moral judgement. The manifestations need to be judged individually, or at least based on a standard that takes into account important distinctions between them.
I don't think we disagree on much. The communication has been less than perfect.
I agree, this probably was more of a communication breakdown

I would imagine past experience, current status, the specific act, and result would be the four indicators

If someone has been hurt prior, their threshold for it will be lower

If an insult due to status hits home than it will probably cause more harm than to someone it doesn't apply to

Although the last two are the ones i find similar. Say someone gets in your face and calls you a racist name. Regardless of what someone has experienced prior they might feel threatened. So the act and the result would be the same

I guess the question then would extend to the cumulative effect

Perhaps it might be more accurate to say while individual acts may be equal in harm, providing the result is the same, it is the cumulative effect of past abuse and its effect that would determine the overall harm?

I agree its a complicated issue as far as quantifying

And we share the same goal of wanting to see all racism gone

I'm glad we talked it out

Some issues should go beyond the usual Topix barriers. They are too important not to.

However

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#589526 Sep 13, 2013
Today's Prayer

Heavenly Father, most Gracious and Loving God, I pray to you that you will abundantly bless my family and me. I know that you recognize, that a family is more than just a mother, father, sister, brother, husband and wife, but all who believe and trust in you. I pray now with my brothers and sisters in Christ that you will send financial blessings that we may increase our part in supporting the church and your ministries on earth and that our needs would be met. I know that the power of joined prayer by those who believe and trust in you is more powerful than anything. And God, please deliver the person reading this right now from debt and debt burdens. Please release your Godly wisdom that we may be good stewards over all that you have given us and all that you will give us. You are wonderful and mighty. In Jesus name, I pray and thank you. Amen.

Prime time with God

Location hidden

#589527 Sep 13, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
The original post rubbish.
The cool new one winks a lot.
Well there was really only one way to go from the original and that is up!

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#589528 Sep 13, 2013
Encouraging Words.....

Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love.

Ephesians 4:2

K-Love

Location hidden

#589529 Sep 13, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Hey there....How U doin????
Its better to be an optimist who is sometimes wrong than a pessimist who is always right.
Thought for the day
Hey Epi:)

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#589530 Sep 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Le_Le is a lady. Nano is a skank with a foul mouth. There's a difference. Nano, like you, but unlike Le_Le, deserves abuse for the truckload of it she dishes out.
In fact, she seems to crave it.
Indeed

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589531 Sep 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>Hi Luci.
Hi Tide.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#589532 Sep 13, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. You consistently stimulate my thought process, you're cohesive and confident, elucidate well, know what you speak of, are open to viewpoints, see the value in areas outside of your firsthand experience and I find that attractive on many levels. I'm not coming on to you and you know that.
Nevertheless, I do understand the implications there...
*winks*
That's a part of human nature. Just sayin.
There are many people on these threads I find absolutely fascinating and gravitate towards them because of those reasons.
Then there are those that are fascinating and warrant inspection for obvious aspects or purposes I needn't describe.
Mental dissection might be an apt phrase that covers what I mean. Or as you pointed out, the debate.
I've seen your photos. You're a hottie.

Now move to North Korea to marry me in front of Dear Leader! You will be at peace, living so close to our Father. Kamisamida!

(that's be my bestest Korean)

_________

Uhm, yeah. I like your writing. It's usually gentler than mine because of your confidence and strength, both of character and will.

And your sense of humor is great, too.

You mix intelligent comments and critiques with stories, never take any bs, and aren't swayed by the irrational. I...have to stop now...other posters are staring.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589533 Sep 13, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>"Is it a boy or a girl?" is a question that is likely asked several times every day.

Consider it a failing in language. There are many.
English? Failing?

Surely you jest. Comprehension is failing and flailing. Simultaneously.

We can fix that, I'm sure of it :p

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#589534 Sep 13, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I already changed the topic.
It's all about ME now, dammit.
Wish me luck on my date and the loss of my job.
Congratulations on the loss of your job! It wasn't you.

You'll do great with your date, provided she's into interesting, brilliant and humorous girls who are modest and shy. If she's not into you, she's an idiot and we can toss her to the wolves.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589535 Sep 13, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>I was gonna say cornbread, but then I looked it up on urbandictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php...

I knew "cornbread" could be used in a few different ways, however I wouldn't have imaged over 20 different ways.

Just call me scar, or scaritual.

If anyone here wants me to be insulted by that, just say so, and I'll take it as an insult, or not. Probably not.

hahaaa...
lol

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589536 Sep 13, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>That's the point. I certainly wasn't talking about biological benefits, but social ones.
I know.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589537 Sep 13, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>No you didn't miss anything, it's all much of a muchness where he's concerned.

4000 posts per month with not a single redeeming feature.
Are you the god of sarcasm?

Location hidden

#589538 Sep 13, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly - what I have been saying.
<quoted text>
After 1, they can talk. Pretty sure they have more complex understandings of people than a 6 month old.
Yeah

I mean, I don't believe for a second he hurt a 6 month old

But imo it probably didn't accomplish anything either

But hey, babies can have you losing your mind. Ideas that might seem crazy suddenly become more tempting

I have found myself pleading with an infant to stop crying like he can understand me! And I know people will say like with dogs it is the voice inflection they respond to. But if that was the case I could just talk gibberish to them. I become quite convinced they understand me, especially when I'm suffering from sleep deprivation. And probably attribute more credit to their thought process than I should

So 6 months IMHO is too early for them them to understand. But not like tapping a baby on the butt is gonna bother them much

JMO

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#589539 Sep 13, 2013
LuciFerr wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
I like the term 'word salad'.
Yeah.

With metaphorical dressing, too.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589541 Sep 13, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Hey. Sorry. Just getting disgusted reading RR's posts and want to change topics. Perhaps the solution is just to add him to the ignore list.
Nah don't ignore him.

I like quotes, this is a good one from god aka Morgan Freeman.

"One way of eradicating racism, is to simply stop talking about it."

Or something like that.

I like it because maybe, just maybe, if it isn't perpetuated, it will cease to exist.

I've seen this concept in action with my babies, they didn't know it existed until I let them mingle with society.

It was never mentioned in my house.

People are people.

Just a thought. I have many.

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589542 Sep 13, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Hey. Sorry. Just getting disgusted reading RR's posts and want to change topics. Perhaps the solution is just to add him to the ignore list.
Oh and no need to apologise sweetie :D

“The who whating how...”

"...with huh?"

#589543 Sep 13, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>shhhhh....

Hi, Luci.
Oh yes um, you whatever you!

Hi, Scar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min pusherman_ 773,832
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 6 min HipGnosis 175,539
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 8 min Johnny 4,698
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 13 min travelers 294
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 15 min Charlie Sheen 265,011
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 21 min New Age Spiritual... 558,975
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 1 hr Concerned_American 2,421
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 hr Michael the Archa... 441,753
More from around the web