Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#583113 Sep 1, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
....people choose to join these organizations. So they don't count for protection against discrimination.
.... endorses discrimination - clearly their aims cannot be protected by law.....
That describes several religious organizations.
The Westboro Baptist Church for example.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#583114 Sep 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Call me a Christian all day long, Bubba. It's a compliment.
dafynitions hard at work

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#583115 Sep 1, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the issues here is that you're confusing is ascribed and achieved status.
Blacks and gays have ascribed status - they didn't choose to be who they are, they just are. And so we cannot discriminate against
But KKK and NAMBLA are achieved statuses - people choose to join these organizations. So they don't count for protection against discrimination.
Additionally, I seriously doubt that NAMBLA could present a legal argument that their group is deserves the same protections and rights that belief systems like religions have. And I doubt that the KKK could, too, for slightly different reasons.
Further, NAMLA promotes what everyone else in society knows hurts children - and it's illegal. The KKK endorses discrimination - clearly their aims cannot be protected by law.
So I'd have to guess that, no, a court wouldn't force a contractor to serve members from those groups because they do not enjoy legal protections for their membership.
________
And there's no way such a case would ever make it to trial. A contractor can avoid work very easily:
- claim the job is too dangerous
- put in an outrageously high bid
<quoted text>
Good for him for being discerning. If you note, he's not discriminating against people of ascribed statuses.
<quoted text>
Who, me?
I'm sorry, Skom. I'm not a photographer, but an anthropologist. If either of those groups invited me to study them, I'd jump at the chance. In my opinion, they're both really really really f*cked up and that makes for great, controversial anthropology.
Applause!
You have a gift!

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#583116 Sep 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What an odd comment.
My experiences do constitute reality for me.
Just as your experiences constitute reality for you.
In my experience, I've never witnessed any "Christian hate" that you guys say supposedly happens all the time and every church.
There you go, categorizing us all the same again.

I was invited to a church multiple times while doing my MA in the USA. I lived near campus, the Church was on the same street. To entice people in, they offered free lunches on Thursdays. Most of my dormmates went.

So, finally I went, too. An old man sat down beside me and asked "what denomination are you?"

"I don't have one. I'm an atheist."

Wow. He was all kinds of angry. His wife came, along with a few others, and they had to pull him away from the table.

I was very hesitant after that, to go again, but they kept insisting. They told me no one would bother me - this turned out to be a lie. I was cornered and talked to about atheism for 2 hours. I could have left, but you know how I like to argue.

Anyways, two of my bad experiences at church.

Location hidden

#583117 Sep 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm...
I wonder how your fellow atheists will see this...
You'd charge Christians an extra 25% over atheists.
They prolly won't say anything....
I would charge extra for all unpredictable circumstance.

that is standard and expected

“"None shall pass"”

There

#583118 Sep 1, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as I thought
Red Apples / John Coffey:
You are void .. there's nothing to you.
Sure there is, and lots of it, too!

http://clunderwood.files.wordpress.com/2010/0...
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#583119 Sep 1, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Just as I thought
Red Apples / John Coffey:
You are void .. there's nothing to you.
I told you,to much buzz is not good for your little brain,
buzz makes red nose full of white pimples, fat hanging belly, your breast very skiny and long like 2 old condoms

and your babling under heavy drinking,is only blah blah blah,
and haluciantions about 5/21/2011 and your pope old crip Camping,with long ears like bat ears

Location hidden

#583120 Sep 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, he did say that.
"If some one came to my shop to enguage me as a photographer, and told me that the people getting married were "christians"; I would tack an extra 25% contingency fee on the job estimate"
He said exactly that.
He would want to charge Christians an extra 25% for no reason other than that they're Christians.
What's your take on that?
that as usual you have changed the meaning in order to support your immoral viewpoint

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#583121 Sep 1, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no problem with what ANY CONSENTING ADULTS do in bed.
Get a life, loser.
Still, most cases of incest are hardly consenting adults.
:-(

It's still legal to marry your cousin, in a lot of places.
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#583122 Sep 1, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go, categorizing us all the same again.
I was invited to a church multiple times while doing my MA in the USA. I lived near campus, the Church was on the same street. To entice people in, they offered free lunches on Thursdays. Most of my dormmates went.
So, finally I went, too. An old man sat down beside me and asked "what denomination are you?"
"I don't have one. I'm an atheist."
Wow. He was all kinds of angry. His wife came, along with a few others, and they had to pull him away from the table.
I was very hesitant after that, to go again, but they kept insisting. They told me no one would bother me - this turned out to be a lie. I was cornered and talked to about atheism for 2 hours. I could have left, but you know how I like to argue.
Anyways, two of my bad experiences at church.
we don't give any slightest s...who are you,you poor sick haluciantive creature with brain fish embrio

don't talk BS to much about yourselves,we know that your wide road lead you only your bones to hell,
because dead flesh will eat eagles, vultures,black crows,and wild kittens
so prepare your filthy immoral stinking body for dinner for them

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#583123 Sep 1, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't make it up!
Urban Dictionary has ya covered.
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#583124 Sep 1, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there is, and lots of it, too!
http://clunderwood.files.wordpress.com/2010/0...
Eh!
shut up,mother f....... sick troll seating day and night like Zombie babling insane grave nonsenses

trolls like you make very sick all my clients with brains size of little mouse brain?/

go sleep, and take shower at least once a month
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#583125 Sep 1, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
you too shut up,
close doors and windows because males cangoroos jump to your bed,and will rape you all night long?at least you would experience once time in your life natural pleasure to be fixed by male cangorros
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#583126 Sep 1, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Applause!
You have a gift!
yea
gift from you,
one gallon of moon shine
he heeeeeeeeeeee mama buzzer?

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#583127 Sep 1, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Another load of BS. Not gonna wash gal. Your in college right what type of college internet college. Way too much time on internet for a college student. Never made mention of courses taken or your grades all you had on you mind in this deal was hot girls which I doubt you ever meet. Get real.
You got me. Good work.

We all know that college students hardly ever use the Internet. All this newfangled technology befuddles us.

Let me know when you want that hug. For real.

;-)

Some stable somewhere

#583128 Sep 1, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for sharing that you think it's mythology.
my·thol·o·gy (m-thl-j)
n. pl. my·thol·o·gies
a. A body or collection of myths belonging to a people and addressing their origin, history, deities, ancestors, and heroes.
b. A body of myths associated with an event, individual, or institution: "A new mythology, essential to the ... American funeral rite, has grown up" (Jessica Mitford).
2. The field of scholarship dealing with the systematic collection and study of myths.

No two ways about it, the Bible is mythology. And Christians have, within their mythology, an apical ancestor.

Some stable somewhere

#583129 Sep 1, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
Claudette Colvin.
First, who was Claudette Colvin? She was a fifteen year old black girl in 1955. She had dreams of becoming a lawyer. Her mother was a maid, her father mowed lawns. She studied her history in school and listened to teachers talk about how unfairly her people were being treated. The words took hold, and on March 2nd, nine months before Rosa Parks, Ms. Colvin refused to give up her seat to a white man. She kept saying it was her constitutional right to ride the bus, because she had paid her fare. She didn't plan to do it beforehand, the time had just come and she was fed up. Like Mrs. Parks, Claudette was arrested. She was taken to an adult jail, where she said she faced intimidation and ridicule. She became a plaintiff, along with three other women (Aurelia Browder, Susie McDonald, and Mary Louise Smith) in the Browder v Gayle civil action law suit -the law suit that officially ended segregation on the Montgomery bus system.
So, why don't people celebrate Claudette Colvin? Why isn't she a subject for school children during Black History Month? There have been various speculations. Black leaders considered using her to spark the Boycott. What made them change their minds and wait for someone else, someone like Rosa Parks to do what Colvin did before? First, Claudette's family came from a poor part of town. Others have said that the fact that she was dark skinned was a mark against her. Most damaging was the fact that she was pregnant. She says she didn't become pregnant until after the arrest, but regardless, a teenage pregnant girl wasn't seen as the right role model. As a symbol, she fell short. These aspects of her life were deemed more important than her brave act.
Her bravery is an important point in history.

I roomed with a black woman from Alabama. Her 84 year old grandmother came to visit. Wonderful lady, Christian, delightfully praising Jesus at every turn - I ended up doing most of the driving, showing her around, and when we'd find parking spaces "praise Jesus! Halleluja!" etc.

Kind of funny - I always find parking spaces close to the doors we want to use, no matter how crowded, so some people in Japan tell me that I have the favor of the parking spirits. Don't worry, I no more believe in parking spirits than Jesus.

Anyways, when she and I talked about racism - wow, sad, sad eyes. She experienced it at a time when black people weren't allowed in the front of the buses. I said "I like sitting in the back. I always sit in the back." She said "Not me, uh-uh. Now I always sit at the front of the bus."

You need to take the discrimination you have experienced in your life and use it to better understand others who are getting like discrimination. Don't use your religious beliefs to put others down or you haven't learned anything.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#583130 Sep 1, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't condone rape or child molestation. That is why I capitalized CONSENTING ADULTS.

In the USA the laws vary from state to state.
The penalties range from "not even a crime" to life imprisonment.
There are no Federal Laws against it.

All U.S. incest laws are based on religious beliefs.

Some stable somewhere

#583131 Sep 1, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
No need to explain that to me. My first wife was a nurse.
I teach intro to anth, right? In the USA I was given a class full of nursing students. Wow! The dedication! It was all I could do to keep abreast of the material. Never had better, sharper questions.

Some stable somewhere

#583132 Sep 1, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
That describes several religious organizations.
The Westboro Baptist Church for example.
Yes and, as Dawkins, Hitchens, Harris and IANS all argue, we should not treat religion as if it enjoys special rights and freedoms, but should treat it just as any other nonsensical fiction espoused by people.

The problem with such a statement is that religious institutions can be used for moral good. They create social bonds and networks of disseminating help to the needy, they provide simple, metaphorical ways for believers to share their interpretations of the universe around them and their experiences within it with other believers (we see this on this site all the time).

Religious institutions have a long history within Western culture, but the KKK is relatively new and based on a gross misreading of science.

That said, clearly religious institutions can be critiqued. They should be taken to task when spreading discrimination - mere religious belief is not an excuse for bigotry and hatred.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Buck Crick 63,750
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min Liamm 653,910
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 17 min andet1987 2,577
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 27 min -Scare__ Crow- 3,803
Why do guys lie to women so much about marriage? 59 min Deceived by guy 1
Does anyone know Darrin Neuling?? 1 hr Deceived by guy 1
$$$ Fedz Pimping Poisonous Meat - Don't Buy! 1 hr HiddnNumbrz 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr onemale 281,858
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr pusherman_ 973,748
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 hr lightbeamrider 106,490
More from around the web