“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#582110 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR historical use if the word.
Not everyone's.
Western' culture's historical use of the word, where the word came from, etc.
It's just as much of an insult when you say I'm not a professional as when I call you a college talkerer.
Nope. Unless, by "talkerer," you mean "A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply objective counsel and service to others, for a direct and definite compensation, wholly apart from expectation of other business gain."

But only a seriously stupid person would attempt to make such a poor argument since English already includes a word defined as that.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#582111 Aug 31, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
She is better off ? The why are you bashing me for making her llife better ?
Because you're a quitter.

You don't know that her life would be better or worse with you in her life. You quit, you have up.

I have great disdain for sperm donors and egg donors.

You make me sick.

Some stable somewhere

#582112 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
There's that ole bigotry firing up again.
How is it bigotry?
Only those that believe as you do matter, huh?
You do everything you can to convince people you are right, including being insulting and petty. So your statement here is ironic, in the extreme. No, really, look up the word "ironic."
That's a thought, just like hitchens said. Not a right.
Hey, if you can't form an argument you can always just disagree.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#582113 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No I do not. You are pretending that the word "professional" has meanings that I don't put into it.
Here you are demeaning nurses and pretending they aren't as good as you are, while also demeaning education.
You've done that a lot - put down education. In fact, a lot of the believers here do.
Nothing is more pathetic than a person who needs to put others down to prop themselves up, especially someone who attacks others for their accomplishments.
How else is he going to prop himself up?

Poor RR has a terrible complex.

If somebody else achieves success, it hurts him personally.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#582114 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I have NEVER heard that in church.
ANY church...EVER....
So now you claim to have been in every church always.

You tried pulling that crap before and fell on your face.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582115 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is why carpentry is not listed among the professions. It's a trade.
<quoted text>
Ignorance is your badge.
Did you attend college for four years?

Some nurses don't, but you'd still call them a professional...

You must've not read the whole post. Here;

"Complete course requirements for a 4-year degree in construction management or building construction. The degree adds additional training if you're planning to supervise other carpenters or interested in managing construction projects."

The people that build skyscrapers, bridges, hospitals, etc have college degrees.

But you'd still call them "in the trades".
Bongo

United States

#582116 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. None of my atheist friends in real life do this. They think I'm crazy for writing here. I do, too.
ah HFY but, youre instrumental

“"None shall pass"”

There

#582117 Aug 31, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
It is a perversion or a deviance from the norm...
So you and your wife are perverts by your own definition.

OK

“Rainbow: God's covenant ”

Since: May 07

Clearwater, FL

#582118 Aug 31, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you going to leave the USA when gay marriage is legal in every State in the Union ?
We can only hope and pray you do.
Why would I? I get that you hate people that do not share your world view, that is your problem, not mine. I live in a perverted place where nudie clubs are on many corners. This world is not my home and I will be where the sovereign God that you clearly hate places me.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#582119 Aug 31, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for the segue...
Some commentary from " The Father of Protestantism", Martin Luther. He was Catholic, too, previous to the schism.
"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church?[...] a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them." — Martin Luther
"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God." — Martin Luther ,“Die verfluchte hure, Vernunft!(The damned whore, Reason.)
"To be a Christian, you must "pluck out the eye of reason." - Martin Luther, "Die verfluchte Huhre, Vernunft." (The damned whore, Reason).
"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians."— Martin Luther
"Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his Reason."— Martin Luther
"Reason is the Devil's greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil's appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom ... Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism... She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets." — Martin Luther
"Even though they grow weary and wear themselves out with child-bearing, it does not matter; let them go on bearing children till they die, that is what they are there for." - Martin Luther, Works 20.84
"The word and works of God is quite clear, that women were made either to be wives or prostitutes." — Martin Luther, Works 12.94
We see those attitudes even to this day.
It is a pox on society.
That is the basis of all protestant denominations.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582120 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:

Western' culture's historical use of the word, where the word came from, etc.
I'm in the west, I don't use the word "profession" only to those that stay clean at work....
Nope. Unless, by "talkerer," you mean "A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply objective counsel and service to others, for a direct and definite compensation, wholly apart from expectation of other business gain."
Hey, that's a perfect definition of a mechanic.

They have "specialized educational training" in order to "supply objective counsel and service to others" so they can earn "a direct and definite compensation".

Thanks!

Long Beach, CA

#582121 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You avoided the question. Why would you consider a nurse a professional while at the same time not consider a mechanic a professional?
They both go to college or vocational school for the same amount of time.
They both wear uniforms.
They both get dirty.
They both punch a clock.
They both fix things.
Why? What's the difference in the profession?
And as school teacher is a profession but a carpenter isn't?
Why?
All States require general education teachers to have a bachelor’s degree and to have completed an approved teacher training program.
Carpenters have to go through similar training, 4-5 years of apprenticeship, training, specific education, etc.
I don't understand you.
I think you think that "intellectuals" are the only real professionals.
There you go.

Another RR "cocktail" post, hoping nobody notices the fallacies.

A nurse doesn't "fix things."

A nurse is a medical provider; a participant in the healing arts; a professional in the true sense of the word.

A carpenter, yes, he or she sometimes fixes things.

It's OK, RR.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#582122 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you're a quitter.
You don't know that her life would be better or worse with you in her life. You quit, you have up.
I have great disdain for sperm donors and egg donors.
You make me sick.
Whatever you say, Child thief!

Some stable somewhere

#582123 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You avoided the question. Why would you consider a nurse a professional while at the same time not consider a mechanic a professional?
I didn't avoid the question. I explained your pettiness.

Let's look at the definition shall we?

"the act of taking the vows of a religious community
: an act of openly declaring or publicly claiming a belief, faith, or opinion : protestation
: an avowed religious faith
a : a calling requiring specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation
b : a principal calling, vocation, or employment
c : the whole body of persons engaged in a calling" http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pro...

and

"A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply objective counsel and service to others, for a direct and definite compensation, wholly apart from expectation of other business gain." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession

If you are going by 4b, then they're both "professions." If you're going by 4a, then only the nurses are.

Additionally, nursing has traditionally been termed a "calling" b/c of the little pay, long hours and the fact that they care for others. You know, the sick and injured and dying - and they don't receive a lot of compensation for that. Compensation means "money" RR.

Last, the training of nurses involves a theoretical training, in addition to hands on training. All of the (4c) professions include theoretical, philosophical or theological training - it's a definitional requirement for this classification of jobs. For whatever reason, you are taking that to mean that jobs without theoretical, philosophical or theological training are not as good as those with - but I am in no way saying that.
They both go to college or vocational school for the same amount of time.
They both wear uniforms.
They both get dirty.
They both punch a clock.
They both fix things.
Why? What's the difference in the profession?
As you can see, it involves the specific kinds of training, the lack of money, and the largely uncompensated "service to the public."
And as school teacher is a profession but a carpenter isn't?
Why?
Again, as above, school teachers aren't highly paid, are trained in theoretical, philosophical and/or theological matters (depending), etc., while carpentry requires hands-on skill training.
All States require general education teachers to have a bachelor’s degree and to have completed an approved teacher training program.
Carpenters have to go through similar training, 4-5 years of apprenticeship, training, specific education, etc.
I don't understand you.
I think you think that "intellectuals" are the only real professionals.
You are holding the word "professional" on high. I'm not. I'm using it to distinguish between career types.

From how you write, it seems that you believe physical labor is demeaning. I'm not sure why you think so. I don't. I am in awe of the artistry and skill that experts display.

Some stable somewhere

#582124 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH.
WHAT?!?!?
Constantly?!
ANY church.
EVER.
You'll have to give me a professional explanation.
You've never heard that Jesus died for you?

Then what's the point in believing you are saved?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582125 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:

How is it bigotry?
Really??

IANS wrote: "Everybody that matters seems to understand."

Bigotry is intolerance to those that don't share your opinion.

"Everybody that matters" to IANS understands...

C'mon.
You do everything you can to convince people you are right, including being insulting and petty. So your statement here is ironic, in the extreme. No, really, look up the word "ironic."
I know the meaning, I don't need to look it up.

IANS remark was bigoted, not ironic.
Hey, if you can't form an argument you can always just disagree.
I did form an argument.

You're arguing with me, ain't ya?

Derpy derp derp derp

Long Beach, CA

#582126 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH.
WHAT?!?!?
Constantly?!
ANY church.
EVER.
There's no point in attempting to give you a "professional" explanation.

You have shown, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you lack the willingness and the ability to understand.

Some stable somewhere

#582127 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
WOAH, WOAH, WOAH.
WHAT?!?!?
Constantly?!
ANY church.
EVER.
btw, I don't have a professional opinion of the above - theology is not my field. I do have a professional opinion on the evolution of the ability to conceive of and be moved by shared, imagined worldviews.

Some stable somewhere

#582128 Aug 31, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
Former Atheists
"When confronted with the order and beauty of the universe and the strange coincidences of nature, it's very tempting to take the leap of faith from science into religion. I am sure many physicists want to. I only wish they would admit it."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Rothman
Tony Rothman, Physicist
Part 7
It's funny that there are so few former atheists that you can literally name them all.

Some stable somewhere

#582129 Aug 31, 2013
Dr Shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
yea
And you are'"amazing"
Thanks, Shrnk!

Btw, we're all the products of evolution. Even you. Although, I must admit, you may have lots of mutations.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 min MUQ2 44,306
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 12 min It aint necessari... 37,867
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min Rosesz 641,254
Playboy (Feb '15) 57 min ssewda34 13
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 969,921
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 1 hr Paul is dead 4,076
Moroccan men have the largest penis (Oct '13) 1 hr PROUD TO BE SERB ... 88
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 hr Anna 104,617
More from around the web