Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#582093 Aug 31, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
More lies.
I never heard the story. You're welcome to share it.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#582094 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Hardly. None of my atheist friends in real life do this. They think I'm crazy for writing here. I do, too.
The atheists online, not just on Topix, prove you wrong.

Go ahead, google something like "God isn't real".

You'll likely find hundreds of thousands of atheist websites from people that have dedicated their time to discussing that to which they claim not to believe exists.

It's friggin hilarious.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582095 Aug 31, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. And it doesn't matter which it is.
IANS: "The church is the source of ..."
Tweedledee: "Which church?"
Tweedledum: "I never heard that in my church"
We're trying to tell you that not all churches are the same.

You refuse to acknowledge that and continue your "the church! the church!" tirades.
Dr Shrink

Baltimore, MD

#582096 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The word "profession" comes from "to profess."
How little you know.
lesbianism is your "profession"?
you little brainless troll??

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#582097 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And my boys are better off, just your abandoned daughter us.
She is better off ? The why are you bashing me for making her llife better ?

You are now making fuckweasels look good.

The truth is you will say anything to insult me. That is what makes you such a pathetic liar.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582098 Aug 31, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was working out in California I had mixed feelings. It was great to witness some of the coastal towns north of L.A. and spend a night in the desert. But its a shame the politics have made such a great land unfit for many. When the state does goes bust my hope is the rest of the nation says own it and doesn't give them a dime.
I agree, the California landscape and weather is absolutely gorgeous.

It's the 150 years of spoiled-ass liberals that have ruined it here.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#582099 Aug 31, 2013
That would be pointless. They are not doing what we do - engaging in dialectic in an open-minded, cooperative search for truth.
They are promoting their religion, and truth is not a goal. Prevailing is. Any deception, any quibble, and any deflection that might be expedient is deployed. It sickens me, I have no respect for it, and I treat it with the contempt it deserves.
Thanks for the segue...

Some commentary from " The Father of Protestantism", Martin Luther. He was Catholic, too, previous to the schism.

"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church?[...] a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them." — Martin Luther

"Reason must be deluded, blinded, and destroyed. Faith must trample underfoot all reason, sense, and understanding, and whatever it sees must be put out of sight and ... know nothing but the word of God." — Martin Luther ,“Die verfluchte hure, Vernunft!(The damned whore, Reason.)

"To be a Christian, you must "pluck out the eye of reason." - Martin Luther, "Die verfluchte Huhre, Vernunft." (The damned whore, Reason).

"Reason should be destroyed in all Christians."— Martin Luther

"Whoever wants to be a Christian should tear the eyes out of his Reason."— Martin Luther

"Reason is the Devil's greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil's appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom ... Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism... She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets." — Martin Luther

"Even though they grow weary and wear themselves out with child-bearing, it does not matter; let them go on bearing children till they die, that is what they are there for." - Martin Luther, Works 20.84

"The word and works of God is quite clear, that women were made either to be wives or prostitutes." — Martin Luther, Works 12.94

We see those attitudes even to this day.

It is a pox on society.

Some stable somewhere

#582100 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How to become a master carpenter.
Earn certification as a journeyman. Becoming a journeyman is a requirement when becoming a carpenter.
Find a formal carpentry apprenticeship in your area. Typically, trade associations, technical schools and labor unions offer carpentry apprenticeships.
You must have either a high school diploma or GED to enter a carpentry apprenticeship and post secondary carpentry program offered at a college or vocational school. If you're attending high school, complete courses that are helpful to becoming a master carpenter. These courses typically include algebra, woodworking, physics, English, general shop and mechanical drawing.
Enter the apprenticeship or college program. You may have to pass a basic skills test.
Complete the formal apprenticeship. A carpentry apprenticeship generally takes 3 to 4 years to complete.
Carpentry apprenticeships are a combination of classroom instruction and on-the-job training. On-the-job training consists of learning how to use carpentry tools and completing duties under the supervision of an experienced carpenter. Classroom instruction consists of learning carpentry techniques, sketching structures and reading blueprints.
You can attend a vocational school and community college to obtain a certificate or diploma. The program takes about 1 year to complete. However, most of the training requires completing courses in construction methods and roof framing methods.
Seek advanced certifications.
Earn certificates in different areas of carpentry such as framing, pump work, high torque bolting and construction. Becoming certified in different areas of carpentry proves that you're able to perform tasks and is one way to become a master carpenter.
Complete course requirements for a 4-year degree in construction management or building construction. The degree adds additional training if you're planning to supervise other carpenters or interested in managing construction projects.
Work in an entry level carpenter position. You can find a job through the organization where you received your apprenticeship training, through employment classified advertisements or by networking with other carpenters.
Advance your skills working as a carpenter. Working for years as a carpenter is the best option to becoming a master carpenter.
And this is why carpentry is not listed among the professions. It's a trade.
You just won't be considered a professional by the latté sippers and college talkerers.
Ignorance is your badge.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582101 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, since in the above by "professional" you mean "expert at" and not "one of the traditional professions."
Uh-oh. Now you're talking about "traditional".

Why is "traditional" marriage ok to change but not "professional"?

Hmmm...

Sounds pretty damn hypocritical to me.

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#582102 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution is amazing.
...when God initiates it.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#582103 Aug 31, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was working out in California I had mixed feelings. It was great to witness some of the coastal towns north of L.A. and spend a night in the desert. But its a shame the politics have made such a great land unfit for many. When the state does goes bust my hope is the rest of the nation says own it and doesn't give them a dime.
Are you going to leave the USA when gay marriage is legal in every State in the Union ?

We can only hope and pray you do.

Some stable somewhere

#582104 Aug 31, 2013
<quoted text>
Thank you for that. Everybody that matters seems to understand. And yes, I guess I can't say it too often: I don't write for the Christians. That would be pointless. They are not doing what we do - engaging in dialectic in an open-minded, cooperative search for truth.
They are promoting their religion, and truth is not a goal. Prevailing is. Any deception, any quibble, and any deflection that might be expedient is deployed. It sickens me, I have no respect for it, and I treat it with the contempt it deserves.
<quoted text>
I agree with Dawkins' approach and his message: Christianity is a bad idea that does harm. And his message falls on deaf ears when they are a zealot's, I believe it reaches and influences more than just the choir. The battleground is not for the minds of either of those groups, but for the vast middle ground that has a minor relationship with religion based on the momentum of childhood, but can be affected by argument.
<quoted text>
I like Hitchens' open contempt for religion.
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." – Christopher Hitchens
“Name me an ethical statement made or an action performed by a believer that could not have been made or performed by a non-believer.”- Christopher Hitchens
"I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt, and I claim that right." – Christopher Hitchens
I hear that.
This is an utter repudiation of Christianity with no feigned respect nor disingenuous courtesy. I think it's the right message.
Well said!

Your first few paragraphs seem to apply to any conversation I have with believers. They don't care about truth, they just want to project their small worlds onto everyone - and they seem to delight in bringing everyone down to their level.

Some stable somewhere

#582105 Aug 31, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus won the bet...
"Jesus answered them,“Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”
They replied,“It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?” But the temple he had spoken of was his body. After he was raised from the dead, his disciples recalled what he had said. Then they believed the scripture and the words that Jesus had spoken."
John 2
What about the "the kingdom of heaven will come while some of you yet live" part that was never fulfilled. Do you believe those people are still alive?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#582106 Aug 31, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
You didnt give up, or abandon your child for adoption,.....
I never said I did, fuckweasel.

I said putting up a child for adoption is also abandonment.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582107 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The word "profession" comes from "to profess."
How little you know.
Wrong.

"Profession" comes from the Latin word, "profiteri", meaning "declare publicly.

It derives from the notion of an occupation that one "professes" to be skilled in.

Your higher education fails you again.

Some stable somewhere

#582108 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not an easy profession...
It's quite clearly a trade. It's not a profession.

And it's a lot easier than being an academic. I've done both.

Some stable somewhere

#582110 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
YOUR historical use if the word.
Not everyone's.
Western' culture's historical use of the word, where the word came from, etc.
It's just as much of an insult when you say I'm not a professional as when I call you a college talkerer.
Nope. Unless, by "talkerer," you mean "A profession is a vocation founded upon specialized educational training, the purpose of which is to supply objective counsel and service to others, for a direct and definite compensation, wholly apart from expectation of other business gain."

But only a seriously stupid person would attempt to make such a poor argument since English already includes a word defined as that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#582111 Aug 31, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
She is better off ? The why are you bashing me for making her llife better ?
Because you're a quitter.

You don't know that her life would be better or worse with you in her life. You quit, you have up.

I have great disdain for sperm donors and egg donors.

You make me sick.

Some stable somewhere

#582112 Aug 31, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
There's that ole bigotry firing up again.
How is it bigotry?
Only those that believe as you do matter, huh?
You do everything you can to convince people you are right, including being insulting and petty. So your statement here is ironic, in the extreme. No, really, look up the word "ironic."
That's a thought, just like hitchens said. Not a right.
Hey, if you can't form an argument you can always just disagree.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#582113 Aug 31, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No I do not. You are pretending that the word "professional" has meanings that I don't put into it.
Here you are demeaning nurses and pretending they aren't as good as you are, while also demeaning education.
You've done that a lot - put down education. In fact, a lot of the believers here do.
Nothing is more pathetic than a person who needs to put others down to prop themselves up, especially someone who attacks others for their accomplishments.
How else is he going to prop himself up?

Poor RR has a terrible complex.

If somebody else achieves success, it hurts him personally.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min truth 641,642
girl whats your fetish (Jul '12) 47 min Iva 12
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 56 min Just Think 104,726
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 44,405
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Aerobatty 969,986
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 2 hr Paul is dead 4,135
Do you want to earn $0,00025 from each your web... 3 hr Juara ads 8
More from around the web