Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#581165 Aug 30, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
What's intercourse?
Let me reiterate my stance. Girls are superiour to boys in every way...except peeing.
lol

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#581166 Aug 30, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
Pitiful, just pitiful.
Welcome to the mental gymnastics of believers of deities.

They literally will do anything to hold onto imagined beings.
Doctor REALITY

Conway, AR

#581167 Aug 30, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
super
and you can commit any crime you like because evey sin is already forgiven
nice
You're not very smart, are you, Karl?? Sin ALWAYS has 'consequences', whether you're a redeemed child of God, or whether you're lost and on your way to hell. Which group are YOU among...Karl??

Some stable somewhere

#581168 Aug 30, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly.
Yet the RRs of this world are so horribly enculturated, that they will ignore or deny facts, reason and common sense in order to preserve the safety of their existence in a tiny bubble.
You have to realize where RR is coming from. He's a working class white person. He's watching the derision of the hegemonic upper class - white people - while the white-ness part of it erodes through increased diversity.

If you're in a minority group, you can poke fun of the hegemonic, but the hegemonic cannot poke fun at you. That would be akin to gloating and lording one's position over the non-elite. In Western nations, that's a no-no because people must, at all costs, guard the fiction that wealth can be attained by anyone, despite the reality that wealth is carefully protected by the elite (for a variety of reasons, but mainly b/c they're individual actors).

RR's protestations about "white pride" come from his insecurity in knowing that he is not part of the real hegemony - he's not in the elite. He's just white. It's people like him who feel the brunt of the derision against the hegemonic - they have no wealth to protect them and share in the non-elite status of the very people making fun of the hegemonic.

In the past, non-elite whites could use their skin color for status, but that's no longer permissible allowed; they enjoy no special status now. So he's just like other minority groups in his working conditions, education and access to health and wealth resources, yet differentiated by his skin color.

So RR feels a double kind of disempowerment. No wealth, no higher education, no status. His comments make perfect sense in this light.

Some stable somewhere

#581169 Aug 30, 2013
"permissible allowed" is the new green. Use it.

Some stable somewhere

#581170 Aug 30, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>You're not very smart, are you, Karl?? Sin ALWAYS has 'consequences', whether you're a redeemed child of God, or whether you're lost and on your way to hell. Which group are YOU among...Karl??
"sin" is a cultural construct. It has no consequences other than what occurs in the social.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#581171 Aug 30, 2013
Doctor REALITY wrote:
<quoted text>You're not very smart, are you, Karl?? Sin ALWAYS has 'consequences', whether you're a redeemed child of God, or whether you're lost and on your way to hell. Which group are YOU among...Karl??
the educated

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#581172 Aug 30, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
And others do in a variety of ways
But when one of those way is to use 'church' as an all-encompassing label in which to negatively stereotype all Christians and all Christian churches based on the actions of a handful of individuals it is pointed out that in that context it is bigoted. Even more so when it is implied there is some hateful template followed or some inherent shared immorality based on knowing nothing about 99.99999% of the people or churches other than the fact that they consider themselves Christian
Its not like they can point to some official teaching and say because you follow that I think you are a bad person.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Hmmm. I'd have to agree that attacking all churches based on one church isn't fair. And that we should be more specific in our critiques and discussions, certainly.
Who did that?

He seems to be talking about me, since those are criticism that he has leveled at me in the past. Yet I have never discussed any church in the sense of a brick and mortar building filled with congregants. I never criticized the chapel on Elm Street or the one on 42nd. I refer to the Christian church, which is not the collection of individual buildings. I have been explicit and clear about what I mean, and I will repeat it again here. From http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

========
Whatever we ultimately decide is the origin of that training, that is what I call the church. It's the same thing we are trying to protect the state and citizens from with the separation clause.

Is that a bunch of buildings that fill up on Sundays that Skombolis and RH attend or attended, and repeatedly refer to? No.

Is it each Christian individually? No.

The church is neither people nor buildings, although it resides in them.

It is an abstraction, one with persistence in time that transcends material objects like people and buildings. It's a history, a culture, and a tradition.

It's vector is people - clergy, congregants, and other believers. But these people are not the church. The people come and go over the centuries, but the church survives them all, evolving over time like a language breaking into dialects.

It's a source of teaching, and it is not limited to pulpits and pews. It includes the source of the intelligent design movement, which is private money, a mission statement, think tanks, and information disseminating media from books to talk shows to websites.

It is also the source of the money exerting political pressure - lobbying and propagandizing positions on abortion, morning after pills, gay marriage and more.

It's televangelists, Sean Hannity, and God Bless America bumper stickers.

It's Rick Santorum, George Bush, and people like them.

It's Tim Tebow, Pat Boone and people like them.

All of this carries the Christian message, and imprints its principle memes on millions of individuals, and in so doing, modifies the nation's collective psyche.

========

Despite that, Skombolis and Riverside Redneck continually equate the term "the church" with exactly what I say I am not referring to - a collection of buildings or people - so that they can label criticism of that pernicious ideology "bigotry." They both want to eliminate criticism of their religion, which they choose to define according to a handful of their favorite scriptures, never mid how unrepresentative of Christian misogyny, homophobia, atheophobia, anti-intellectuallism, anhedonism, and antiscientism they may be.

Their argument is analogous to trying to deflect criticism of American policy - "the American state" - and its toxic effects by asking "Which state?" and claiming that such criticism is bigotry if one hasn't visited every state (I've never been to Delaware or Wisconsin) nor met every American.

Fennario

#581173 Aug 30, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
What do persecuted christian taste like? It isn't a Chinese dish is it?
The Christians haven't been persecuted since they were a minority, at which time they were fed to lions. You'll have to ask the lions how they taste.

The Christians, however, have cooked a few unbelievers in their time. They also like to tenderize the meat first by impaling it in the iron maiden, then stretching it on the rack. Next, stuff it with a vaginal pear, and roast it on an open flame until blackened. One of their favorite dishes is twice cooked witch and leg drop soup.

Fennario

#581174 Aug 30, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
I have not a clue of information at all.
You're a hoot. That's what you are.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#581175 Aug 30, 2013
Morning....

“Drop the idea of becoming someone,
because you are already a masterpiece.
You cannot be improved.
You have only to come to it,
to know it,
to realize it.”

~ Osho

Thought for the Day

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#581176 Aug 30, 2013
Today's Prayer

"Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me. And lead me in the way everlasting" (Psalm 139:23). Please show me where I am wrong and give me the wisdom, courage, and conviction to repent and to always do what is right. This I pray, in the name of Jesus, dear God. Amen.

Prime time with God

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#581177 Aug 30, 2013
Encouraging Words.....

Whoever wishes to become great among you shall be your servant

Matthew 20:26

K-Love
Adam

Frankfurt Am Main, Germany

#581178 Aug 30, 2013
Everyone say hi Adam...

Fennario

#581179 Aug 30, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
Don't you know they're not good Xtians unless they discriminate. Then have a big whine about being the victim.:D
Ain't that the truth.

Some stable somewhere

#581180 Aug 30, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Who did that?
He seems to be talking about me, since those are criticism that he has leveled at me in the past. Yet I have never discussed any church in the sense of a brick and mortar building filled with congregants. I never criticized the chapel on Elm Street or the one on 42nd. I refer to the Christian church, which is not the collection of individual buildings. I have been explicit and clear about what I mean, and I will repeat it again here. From http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
I'd never accuse you of that. The thing is, we want to be as specific as possible, and I'm not sure that labeling Christian teachings as "the church" does that. It does to readers who know what you mean, absolutely. But it's ambiguous to those not used to grouping Christian teachings thusly.

Concurrently, the attempt to be overly specific is a diversionary tactic.

My main issue is that there are many, many Christian denominations existing separately b/c they interpret their ancient mythology book differently. Some, I'm sure, laugh at creationists and don't teach homophobia - these ones would disregard much of the OT and most of Paul.

So is there a more specific way in which we can talk about the problems of Christianity? Or do you disagree that we must?
Whatever we ultimately decide is the origin of that training, that is what I call the church. It's the same thing we are trying to protect the state and citizens from with the separation clause.
Were you writing a book, penning those two sentences would be enough.
Is that a bunch of buildings that fill up on Sundays that Skombolis and RH attend or attended, and repeatedly refer to? No.
Is it each Christian individually? No.
The church is neither people nor buildings, although it resides in them.
That's the diversionary tactic at work by your opponents.
It is an abstraction, one with persistence in time that transcends material objects like people and buildings. It's a history, a culture, and a tradition.
It's vector is people - clergy, congregants, and other believers. But these people are not the church. The people come and go over the centuries, but the church survives them all, evolving over time like a language breaking into dialects.
It's a source of teaching, and it is not limited to pulpits and pews. It includes the source of the intelligent design movement, which is private money, a mission statement, think tanks, and information disseminating media from books to talk shows to websites.
It is also the source of the money exerting political pressure - lobbying and propagandizing positions on abortion, morning after pills, gay marriage and more.
It's televangelists, Sean Hannity, and God Bless America bumper stickers.
It's Rick Santorum, George Bush, and people like them.
It's Tim Tebow, Pat Boone and people like them.
All of this carries the Christian message, and imprints its principle memes on millions of individuals, and in so doing, modifies the nation's collective psyche.
========
Despite that, Skombolis and Riverside Redneck continually equate the term "the church" with exactly what I say I am not referring to - a collection of buildings or people - so that they can label criticism of that pernicious ideology "bigotry." They both want to eliminate criticism of their religion, which they choose to define according to a handful of their favorite scriptures, never mid how unrepresentative of Christian misogyny, homophobia, atheophobia, anti-intellectuallism, anhedonism, and antiscientism they may be.
Their argument is analogous to trying to deflect criticism of American policy - "the American state" - and its toxic effects by asking "Which state?" and claiming that such criticism is bigotry if one hasn't visited every state (I've never been to Delaware or Wisconsin) nor met every American.
Yes.

Some stable somewhere

#581181 Aug 30, 2013
Adam wrote:
Everyone say hi Adam...
konnichi ha. hajimemashite. dozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
Adam

#581182 Aug 30, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
konnichi ha. hajimemashite. dozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu.
?

Some stable somewhere

#581183 Aug 30, 2013
Adam wrote:
<quoted text>
?
You asked for hello. I gave you one!

:p
Adam

#581185 Aug 30, 2013
Allah hath sealed their hearing and their hearts, and on their eyes there is a covering.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 36 min truth 667,942
London TV viewers fixed on trump Inaugural process 39 min truth 7
rajkot to chotila gey sex (Nov '15) 58 min raj 37
Everyone is a fool 1 hr andet1987 5
Electing Donald Trump was a terrible mistake 1 hr andet1987 8
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Tony 6,108
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr trifecta1 979,463
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Moron Wrangler 286,085
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 92,716
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 hr lisw 183,629
More from around the web