Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#579643 Aug 27, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>Hey there Scar... if you look at the original way it is put in the Torah you can see how their phraseology is not quite the way we would phrase things. When it was transliterated in English, they did so the best that they could but much of the time the cultural aspects in that era gets lost along with the transliteration... which means that we insert our western-style of phrasing and thinking into it.
Yeah, and the word used within Hebrew, was closer in meaning to "and even also".

Meaning - additions - to that initial statement in Genesis.

I don't write it. The ancient Hebrews did. It's their book. I just look it up in BibleWorks http://www.bibleworks.com/ (that's a handy software to have, btw) and look at the various translations and word meanings in the original texts.

What I pointed out is accurate according to the original texts.

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#579644 Aug 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why don't you accept the Jewish interpretation ?
Moses saw a part of what God showed him... but he could only put it in a way that he could understand it for a man of his time. Obviously, he would have more of an understanding of how to express what he saw in words than the average hebrew of that time because he was also schooled and brought up in the advanced civilization (of that time) of Egypt.

So anyways, fast-forward, there are various schools of thought amongst Jewish circles because they only can see a part "of the part" which Moses saw and those various groups will interpret it differently. Though I respect the Jews heritage of the Messiah, and see the fact that they may put a face out there to the world that they are in general consensus... a closer look reveals that they are not. They are divided in interpretation.

So that is why I more rather will look at the older originals, compare other references, and pray for guidance.

Interestingly for example, the Jews being monotheistic... some still take issue with the fact that God said, "Let US make man in OUR image." So thus it is open to interpretation.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#579645 Aug 27, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly; you lied.
It's to be expected.
Carry on.
LOL

I lied by repeating back what was said and pointing out the contradictions?

I think you are too worked up Prancer. Here's a song for you to relax to:

It's Raining Men
http://m.youtube.com/watch...

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#579646 Aug 27, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>He is a criminal defense attorney who personally takes on clients and he specializes in major cases such a murder?
All due respect Hiding but people can use a legal degree for a lot of different things, not just trial law, and no way, no how is Catcher a trial attorney. HL admitted as much, although I'm sure she didn't realize it exposed earlier claims as fraudulent
<quoted text>
.. for me, addressing Skom's fantasy allegations is pointless ..
Well, I might be an ignorant idiot, but ther's only ! way ta move up the "bar" ladder...an that's ta step on ALL the rungs...an when ya do, yer capable of handling any one of the preceding if need be.
That's what make's "qualified" for their positions.

Location hidden

#579647 Aug 27, 2013
"makes "judges" qualified.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#579648 Aug 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh
I try to keep Ians grounded in reality. If not he starts going off the deep end about tidal waves and fake constitutions and all sorts of weird scenarios:)
Such are the actions of the militant atheist.

Location hidden

#579649 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Prove it.
That's simple enough.
Ask any infant of they are "Christian"...or if they believe in god.
I'll give the odds of 1 out of 100 as acceptable proof.
Would you wager your family on it?

Location hidden

#579650 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
What warnings and why should I heed them?
Ih. That!
He was prolly warning you to actually "think" before putting your foot in your mouth.
It chips your teeth a lot.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#579651 Aug 27, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I never said that.
2. Red herring.
3. That's just your atheist opinion.
4. Go.
Yarf?

Some stable somewhere

#579652 Aug 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Well sure
People rarely act in ways that aren't in their own best interest. Even if elected to do so. In the U.S. you have 95% of the wealth controlled by 5% of the population. Lobbying is simply legalized bribery. I mean at its core it was a great idea but clearly not everyone has a voice. Only those with money and influenced are granted an audience. There is untold billions at stake in maintaining the status quo
But the laws are just a small part of it. And people are easily manipulated and distracted. Plus they can be their own worst enemy. Keep people fighting over race or religion or orientation or middle to lower class warfare or worried about crime or on drugs or uneducated or just too busy to care and the people on top stay on top.
That's not to say some didn't earn their way or that its impossible for others to. But it's an uneven playing field. And as people we often vote against our own interests because of emotional reactions. Well, that and the choices suck. But it is what it is I guess
Last night I really, really wanted a beer and didn't have one. Now I demand a coffee!!!

And a coffee shall be had.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#579653 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's incorrect. There is no scientific theory called the steady state theory. There was only a hypothesis by that name, and it was eliminated.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
THE CHURCH! YOUR CHURCH!
What church? Which one?
The Christian church.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
As I've said repeatedly, your church is an impediment to mankind, this time, for facilitating the ignorance and distrust of science in millions of people.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Religious people started science, dude.
Did you have a point? Do you consider that a rebuttal?
A healthy democracy requires an educated and sapient electorate. The Christian church corrodes that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No it doesn't. Christianity expands the mind and spirit in a way that science can't.
Yeah, the evidence for that litters this thread.

You've just hit a new low.

Some stable somewhere

#579654 Aug 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I took that as a compliment.
Thought he meant I was a trailblazer.
All those poor trails out there. You protect them because you are friend to nature.

Some stable somewhere

#579655 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It shouldn't amaze you, because you said the same thing, only in the atheist version:
"Quite clearly "God" doesn't have a great impact on Christians if they are just like anyone else."
That's not the atheist version.

Gosh, you're special.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#579656 Aug 27, 2013
<quoted text>
I might not, but the chances are pretty good that I will. My kids will.
What do you think is going to stop this? A miracle:
http://www.berkeley.edu/news2/2013/03/No-Reli...
Your cause has many followers, yes.

I'm waiting to see the plateau in that supposed chart.

Some stable somewhere

#579657 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
1. Seriously?
2. I noted they are different, I never said anyting about tossing the OT.
1. Yeah, seriously. Liquid nitrogen?

2. You said you can ignore the OT.

Wow, ok, so your god changes throughout history. You acknowledge this and don't recognize the cultural construction? That's some wonderful mental gymnastics :)

Impressive old padowan.

Location hidden

#579658 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So at what point in your life did you lose your balls?
You were raised by a single mother, huh?
Are you projecting your family problems on Catcher now?
What was his mother's name...if you are so informed of facts?

Or are you just denigrating and insinuating toward denigration?
Are you sure you are really a "christian?
If you are, it is no wonder people who come in contact with you chose to be atheist.
Just look at your behavior.

Some stable somewhere

#579659 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, the God of the Levites is the same God I believe in, but our laws, our rules, are quite different.
The change was caused by Jesus. You see, the Levites had their covenant with God which is different than the Christian covenant with God. Jesus changed everything.
Ah, right, because Jesus isn't god but is a kind of negotiator you call "three in one."

That makes sense.

Some stable somewhere

#579661 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA!!!
Oh, is that how it is?
My racist Hispanic boss can overlook me because I'm white but hire an unexperienced Hispanic that I have to train and pay im more money than me and that isn't discrimination?
And why did you focus on the "Jose" and not on the "whitey"?
You just failed.
Have you lived anywhere where white people were actively discriminated against?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#579662 Aug 27, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Your indignation against the Muslim God should be just as powerful as your indignation against the Christian God.
It is. They're exactly the same.

And they're tied with my outrage at the Grinch and Jabba the Hutt.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#579663 Aug 27, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks! The beginning of Genesis gives a simplified analogy and symbology to creation. It is a very deep book though...
Agreed. It is not to be taken literally. None of the Hebrew scriptures were to be taken literally.

There are millions of people who can explain the Hebrew scriptures to you. We call them Jews. They will be more than willing to take time from their very Jewey day to explain their scriptures to you.

<Tips yarmelke to Lewis Black>

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 5 min Just Think 17,380
Play "End of the Word" ..... Part 2 (Dec '16) 20 min andet1987 86
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Buck Crick 983,251
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 hr Tony 6,421
K9.....remembering.... 3 hr knightsdolive 1
getting pregnant by much older man 3 hr knightsdolive 2
Black women White men Dating Site (May '14) 7 hr lovekiki 13
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 11 hr Robert F 683,926
More from around the web