Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#579487 Aug 27, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>When you use those two words in the context of the "supernatural", or, "deities"?
Not a thing. Meaningless.
I'm channeling Kurt Vonnegut.

Prove I'm not!

ROFLMAO

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#579488 Aug 27, 2013
There are some mysteries science will never solve. NewsFlash...science has limits.
[QUOTE who="Aura Mytha"]<quoted text> I'm not humanist, I'm a free thinker and infidel. Science is the only way we find the truth, you delude yourself from it.
A humanist would be more humanitarian than I.
I'm not a anti theist though, I don't care how you delude yourself.
OK. So you're not a humanist, but a Infidel.
You're a freethinker, but you're not Anti-Theist.

You is a complicated writer!
Bongo

United States

#579489 Aug 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Genesis it took six days to go from nothing to Adam.
You are one retarded ahole. You can't even read your own goddam magic book.
Christians like you are the number one ereason for atheism.
May you be reward by your deity for that.
another specious claim. Atheists are atheists because they are perfidious rebels.

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#579490 Aug 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if we ignore everything else , the count by the offspring of Adam gives the figure the Jews still use, and it is Av - Elul, 5773 by that count.
We know modern humans have been here 200,000 years.
Any questions?
What does that have to do with how old the Earth is? The point trying to be made by the purfesir and the others of his ilk is that the Bible says the Earth is only 6000 years old. When the fact is the Bible doesn't make that claim at all. In fact the Bible doesn't say anything about "how old the Earth is"

“"None shall pass"”

There

#579491 Aug 27, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
On the 6th day from Genesis 1:2, yes, Adam was created within 6 days of Geneis 1:2. But the Heavens and Earth weren't created in Genesis 1:2 now were they? Nope they were created in Genesis 1:1. And neither you, nor I, nor anyone else, has any idea how much time may have elapsed between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2.
The Bible doesn't say how much time elapsed between those 2 verses purfesir. There's no way to tell how much time elapsed between God creating the Heavens and Earth in Genesis 1:1, and God begining to speak things into existence as he started to do in Genesis 1:3.
Think McFly think!!!
So all the Christians that say it took six days are liars or retards according to John Coffey.

Thanks. I will bash them for it and use you as the ultimate authority.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#579492 Aug 27, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops!
Oops is right, fool.

I've already responded to your nonsense regarding Mithras.

I'll re-post my response momentarily.

We weren't talking about other gods, but, regardless, I see no cites to quality scholars for any of your post.

I do see identical words appearing elsewhere -- all at less than quality websites, such as Yahoo Answers, where anyone can post:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...

Really? Yahoo Answers.

Fools are a dime a dozen, son.
Bongo

United States

#579493 Aug 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I took that as a compliment.
Thought he meant I was a trailblazer.
May I correct that, an itinerant trailblazer . The void will be filled one day?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#579494 Aug 27, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Mac GOOBER told me he join your church!!! WOW
Well, he dropped in.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#579495 Aug 27, 2013
Previously posted:

Reply I

The Mithraic mysteries, according to David Ulansey, an author your source cites but apparently has not read,“arose at about the same time as Chrstianity."1 Indeed, Plutarch seems to place the arrival of that religion on the shores of the Roman Empire at 67 B.C., less than a century before Christianity. But Roger Beck, a leading authority on Mythraism, rejects Plutarch’s date and places it in the “Flavian age”, 30 years or more after the birth of Christianity.2

Regardless, Mithras is the Roman version of Mithra, a god in the Zoasterian pantheon. But the Roman version of that god, and more precisely, the Mithraic mysteries as opposed to the Zoasterian religion, arose roughly concurrently and remained directly in competition with Christianity from the 1st century through the 4th century, "when [Mithraism] succumbed to Christianity".3

Franz Cumont, another author your source cites but also apparently hasn't read, believed many of the traditions regarding the Persian Mithra were carried over to the Roman version, Mithras. But this has become a minority view since the 1970's, after the First International Congress of Mithraic Studies, primarily for want of evidence.4 Some of the most basic elements of Roman Mithraism are nowhere to be found with respect to Mithra in the Zoasterian religion. For example, Mithra does not slay a bull in that tradition and there is no tauroctony, which is present in surviving Roman Mithraea. So relying on Zoasterianism or any of its precedents to date the Mithraic mysteries is much like dating Christianity based on Judaism – it doesn’t really work.5

1. Ulansey, David, The Mithraic Mysteries, in Scientific American,(v. 261, n. 6, December, 1989), pp. 130-5 at p. 130.
2. Beck, Roger, Beck on Mithraism: Collected Works with New Essays (Ashgate, 2004), p. 293.
3. Ulansey, David, The Origins of the Mithraic Mysteries (Oxford University Press, 1991), p. 4.
4. Congress of Mithraic Studies, Mithraic Studies: Proceedings of the First International Congress of Mithraic Studies (Manchester University Press, 1975).
5. Beck, Beck on Mithraism, p. 293.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#579496 Aug 27, 2013
Previously posted:

Reply II

For Ulansey and others of his generation of scholars, little other than the name of the Persian deity was borrowed for the Roman mysteries. Beck sees more than that, but not to the extent Cumont did at the beginning of the 20th century. In Ulansey's words, there were "a number of serious problems with Cumont's assumption that the Mithraic mysteries derived from ancient Iranian religion. Most significant among these is that there is no parallel in ancient Iran to the iconography which is the primary fact of the Roman Mithraic cult. For example, as already mentioned, by far the most important icon in the Roman cult was the tauroctony. This scene shows Mithras in the act of killing a bull, accompanied by a dog, a snake, a raven, and a scorpion; the scene is depicted as taking place inside a cave like the mithraeum itself. This icon was located in the most important place in every mithraeum, and therefore must have been an expression of the central myth of the Roman cult. Thus, if the god Mithras of the Roman religion was actually the Iranian god Mithra, we should expect to find in Iranian mythology a story in which Mithra kills a bull. However, the fact is that no such Iranian myth exists: in no known Iranian text does Mithra have anything to do with killing a bull."6

Assuming any parallels between Christianity and Mithraism requires syncretism only on Christianity’s part is naïve. As Cumont notes, "The only domain in which we can ascertain in detail the extent to which Christianity imitated Mithraism is that of art. The Mithraic sculpture, which had been first developed, furnished the ancient Christian marble-cutters with a large number of models, which they adopted or adapted…"7 Cumont goes further: "We are too imperfectly acquainted with the dogmas and liturgies of the [Mithraic Mysteries], as well as with the development of primitive Christianity, to say definitely what mutual influences were operative in their simultaneous evolution. But be this as it may, resemblances do not necessarily suppose an imitation. Many correspondences between the Mithraic doctrine and the Catholic faith are explicable by their common Oriental origin. Nevertheless, certain ideas and certain ceremonies must necessarily have passed from the one cult to the other; but in the majority of cases we rather suspect this transference than clearly perceive it."8

In short, these religions arose at approximately the same time, likely borrowed from one another as well as inherited common themes and assimilated common cultural motifs of the time. But which borrowed from which and what themes were borrowed vs. inherited or assimilated from other influences is simply not knowable in the main. In this regard, I’d recommend a reading of Drudgery Divine by Jonathan Z. Smith of the University of Chicago. So would Beck.

6. Ulansey, David, http://www.mysterium.com/mithras.html .
7. Cumont, Franz V.M., McCormack, Thomas J., ed., The Mysteries of Mithra (Open Court Publications, 1903), p. 196.
8. Ibid., p. 194.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#579497 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ain't it funny how the atheists side with the Creationists so quickly?
Not siding at all. Just proving you all call each other liars and idiots.

I don't believe any of it. It has been proven to me beyond a question of doubt the entire Bible is a useless bundle of paper and the religions based on it are believed by the weak minded and preached by dishonest.

You Christians have taught me well, thank you.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#579498 Aug 27, 2013
previously posted:

Reply III

And as to common inheritance, the December 25th celebration in both religions may simply be usurping the Roman celebration for Sol Invictus in both cases. There is no such date in the Iranian tradition for Mithra that I am aware of, nor is there one in the Christian scriptures, only in later tradition. With respect to the Christian practice, Cumont claims that “it appears certain that the commemoration of the Nativity was set for the 25th of December, because it was at the winter solstice that the rebirth of the invincible god, the Natalis Invictus, was celebrated.”9

With respect to three "wise men" coming to Mithra's birth bearing gifts, I have never found evidence of that. This likely is a misinterpretation of 4th century Christian art that sometimes depicted three Mithraic priests doing so for the infant Jesus. That is, by the fourth century, the magi of Matthew sometimes were depicted in Christian art as Mithraic priests. I assume this was intended as a thumb in the eye for Christianity's main rival at the time, but it also makes some sense. Since the Mithraic mysteries relied heavily on astrology, and since "magi" is the Greek plural for magician, a term that included astrologers, why not portray these astrologers as Mithraic priests, since Roman Mithraism was very much centered on the Zodiac? Why not portray your rivals worshiping your deity at his birth?

Likewise with the claim Mithras was born of a virgin. Mithras emerged from a rock10 without the help of a virgin, at least in mainstream Mithraism. I can find no reference in Cumont, Beck, or Ulansey that supports this claim or the claim of crucifixion or decent into hell by Mithras. I can find support for it in “Solar Myths and Christian Festivals” by Edward Carpenter, from whence your source, while citing legitimate scholars such as Ulansey and Cumont, lifted the list (either directly or indirectly) verbatim and without credit. Carpenter was hardly a competent scholar in the area. But at least he and your source did not limit the list to Mithras. Rather, similar to the less-than-competent recent work of Freke and Gandy in The Jesus Mysteries, Carpenter built the list as an amalgam of multiple savior gods, not just Mithras, though he does go on to make bogus claims about Mithras.11

It sucks to be ignorant and arrogant at the same time, eh?

9. Cumont, Franz V.M., Mithraism and the religions of the Empire, in Open Court (v. 16, n. 12, December 1902) pp. 717- 32 at p. 726.
10. Tripolitis, Antonia, Religions of the Hellenistic-Roman Age (Eerdmans, 2002), p. 50.

11. Carpenter, Edward, Solar Myths and Christian Festivals (Reprint, Kessinger Publishing, 2005), chapter 2.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#579499 Aug 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if we ignore everything else , the count by the offspring of Adam gives the figure the Jews still use, and it is Av - Elul, 5773 by that count.
We know modern humans have been here 200,000 years.
Any questions?
How dare you question John Coffey! He talks directly to God and his post are the Word of God!

Praise Johnny Christ!

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#579500 Aug 27, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Genesis it took six days to go from nothing to Adam.
You are one retarded ahole. You can't even read your own goddam magic book.
Christians like you are the number one ereason for atheism.
May you be reward by your deity for that.
I see that you edited out almost all of my post (because in doing so you could avoid answering the question I asked in it) and responded without answering the question. So lets try again.

Tell me purfesir.

How much time elapsed between God creating the Heavens and Earth in Genesis 1:1 (when they were void and without form) and God starting to speak things into existence in Genesis 1:3?

Be exact with biblical reference now purfesir?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#579501 Aug 27, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Then he was going to be that way regardless.
Like Jesus who was raised by his mother and aunts. Joseph being a senile old fart who just got conned into marrying Mary to keep her from being stoned to death for having an adulterous affair.

Jesus was obviously effeminate if not gay.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#579502 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA!!!
Oh, is that how it is?
My racist Hispanic boss can overlook me because I'm white but hire an unexperienced Hispanic that I have to train and pay im more money than me and that isn't discrimination?
And why did you focus on the "Jose" and not on the "whitey"?
You just failed.
Don't confuse "discrimination", with "discriminating.

Your employer was discriminating in not promoting you.

Why did you even use "Jose"?

You're not being clever, RR, in these posts, if that is what you are trying to do.

You're just exampling your racism.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#579503 Aug 27, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Apprised of the latest developments."
"Informed about."
"Up on".
By reading a 2000 year old book of magic.

LOL

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#579504 Aug 27, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that have to do with how old the Earth is? The point trying to be made by the purfesir and the others of his ilk is that the Bible says the Earth is only 6000 years old. When the fact is the Bible doesn't make that claim at all. In fact the Bible doesn't say anything about "how old the Earth is"

Well it does but it doesn't, I says it was created in 6 days, then you have the life spans of Adams offspring.
I doesn't clarify what amount of time 6 days is.
My point is, IT IS "terribly inaccurate" by any measure.
It sounds just exactly the way a primitive scientifically illiterate
hunter gatherer would describe it. Because that's what Genesis is.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#579505 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA HA!!!
Oh, is that how it is?
My racist Hispanic boss can overlook me because I'm white but hire an unexperienced Hispanic that I have to train and pay im more money than me and that isn't discrimination?
And why did you focus on the "Jose" and not on the "whitey"?
You just failed.
Do your job with vim and vigor
Or be replaced by someone who isn't a lazy moron.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#579506 Aug 27, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I never said that.
2. Red herring.
3. That's just your atheist opinion.
4. Go.
I saw this and just grinned.

Is that really what I do?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Allah is Satan hiding behind the name 27 min town drunk 12
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr WildWeirdWillie 51,734
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr ChristineM 445,967
Skype gay sex (Dec '14) 5 hr c840xba 26
shuh up meathead! 6 hr Doctor REALITY 1
NJ Home Remodeling Contractors Information by P... 6 hr Pangione Developers 1
How many MILLIONS of MEXICAN MEN R N in U.S. IL... 6 hr Doctor REALITY 8
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr Gabriel 991,936
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 hr Michael 693,160
More from around the web