“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#579230 Aug 27, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
OK! If you insist... ;)
http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php
[1] We are committed to the application of reason and science to the understanding of the universe and to the solving of human problems.
[2] We deplore efforts to denigrate human intelligence, explain the world in supernatural terms, and look outside nature for salvation.
[3] We believe that scientific discovery and technology can contribute to the betterment of human life.
[4] We believe in an open and pluralistic society and that democracy is the best guarantee of protecting human rights from authoritarian elites and repressive majorities.
[5] We are committed to the principle of the separation of church and state.
[6] We [prefer] negotiation and compromise to [resolve] differences and achiev[e] mutual understanding.
[7] We are concerned with securing justice and fairness in society and with eliminating discrimination and intolerance.
[8] We believe in supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so that they will be able to help themselves.
[9] We attempt to transcend divisive parochial loyalties based on [prejudices] and strive to work together for the common good.
[10] We want to protect, preserve and enhance the earth, and avoid inflicting needless suffering on other species.
[11] We believe in enjoying life here and now and in developing our creative talents to their fullest.
[12] We believe in the cultivation of moral excellence.
[13] Mature adults should be allowed to fulfill their aspirations, to express their sexual preferences, to exercise reproductive freedom, to have access to comprehensive and informed health-care, and to die with dignity.
[14] We believe in the common moral decencies: altruism, integrity, honesty, truthfulness, responsibility. Humanist ethics is amenable to critical, rational guidance. Together we discover normative standards tested by their consequences.
[15] We are deeply concerned with the moral education of our children. We want to nourish reason and compassion.
[16] We are engaged by the arts no less than by the sciences.
[17] We are citizens of the universe and are excited by discoveries still to be made in the cosmos.
[18] We are skeptical of untested claims to knowledge, and we are open to novel ideas.
[19] We affirm humanism as a realistic alternative to theologies of despair and ideologies of violence and as a source of rich personal significance and genuine satisfaction in the service to others.
[20] We believe in optimism, hope, learning, truth, joy, tolerance, love, compassion, beauty, and reason rather than pessimism, despair, dogma, ignorance, guilt or sin, fear, hatred, selfishness, ugliness, and blind, irrational faith.
[21] We believe in the fullest realization of the best and noblest that we are capable of as human beings.

Your alternative is...
" Happy the one who takes and dashes
Your little ones against the rock! "
-- Psalm 137.9.
It's not much of a choice, is it?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#579231 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A conclusion based on what, lack of evidence?
That's an opinion.
<quoted text>
Huh? There's verified imperial data that God isn't real?
Please.... Share with the rest of the class this allusive data of yours.
allusive

lol lol

HA>>HA>>>HA

christian education an oxymoron

Fennario

#579232 Aug 27, 2013
scaritual wrote:
"But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression." (Timothy 2:11-12)
So much for that.
I wonder if he can find a contradictory scripture.

Fennario

#579233 Aug 27, 2013
scaritual wrote:
You've peaked a curious interest, though...
"the League aimed at exterminating religion in all its manifestations and forming an anti-religious scientific mindset... It propagated atheism and scientific achievements..."
"The League of Militant Atheists; Society of the Godless; Union of the Godless"
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Mili...
Interesting....
That's from early last century. It's a Soviet organization. Here's the transliteration of the membership card: "Soyuz voinstvuyushchikh bezbozhnikov"

We're secular humanists, not Communists. We deplore ideologies of violence as much as we do theologies of despair.

The fact that that was your illustration of how dangerous we are is evidence that you have no case.

http://oi32.tinypic.com/97jvo2.jpg [image of militant Islamist, militant Christianist, and militant atheist]

“Romans 8:1.”

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#579234 Aug 27, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
The genealogy of Adam is the factor...so yes the bible states the age of the earth. Remember Genesis?
Wrong Skippy.

How can your "genealogy of Adam" laughable theory be used to determine the age of the Earth when Adam wasn't even around when God created the Heavens and the Earth in Genesis 1:1.

Epic fail Grasshopper!!!

Care to try again?
_______

And while you're at it, please feel free to dazzle us with your biblical knowledge by telling us how much time elapsed between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2.

We'll all be waiting Skippy.

Fennario

#579235 Aug 27, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Fun link. Thanks.

Location hidden

#579236 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
"Science is true, regardless of what you believe."
So is the Steady State theory true?
It IS science......
there is no steady state theory

Location hidden

#579237 Aug 27, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. But He also never mentioned that it was bad to cut off a person's finger with bolt cutters as a punishment. But we all know that's wrong.
you claimed to get your morality from the bible

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#579238 Aug 27, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Just recently read that Epi is not intending to post in here anymore.... Another one bites the dust!!
Oh well, one less good Christian.
When will you apologize and maybe make the transfer over to good?
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#579239 Aug 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have our crosses to bear, fool.
It appears mine is Dr. Shrink.
It appears yours is you.
You're actually not much different than stinky:

Anal-retentive
Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Extreme narcissism

My, Medicine Man and Part time Oracle, also
found a few other things:

A) you have have a mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of your own importance and a deep need for admiration.

B) Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.

C) You present a persistent sense of inadequacy, a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness.

Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy.

My scribes agreed that you two make a perfect pair- Looks like a 'Vulcan mind meld' to me.

You should know that I keep stinky under my loving < Learned from Christians> channeling my very "Mysterious ways" - absolute CONTROL!

He is my slave and now he's fallen in love with you. I approve!

I told him in German to be yer pal! ;)
He is a loyal slave- thus his/her response to you.

I am Imhotep® and I approve this post.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#579240 Aug 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>He is a criminal defense attorney who personally takes on clients and he specializes in major cases such a murder?

All due respect Hiding but people can use a legal degree for a lot of different things, not just trial law, and no way, no how is Catcher a trial attorney. HL admitted as much, although I'm sure she didn't realize it exposed earlier claims as fraudulent
Twisting people's words again into your own stories?
When did HL make any such statement and how would you know how an anonymous poster online acts in real life?
Quotes and permalinks, otherwise you'll prove yourself to be lying yet again.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#579241 Aug 27, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
You're actually not much different than stinky:
Anal-retentive
Obsessive-compulsive disorder
Extreme narcissism
My, Medicine Man and Part time Oracle, also
found a few other things:
A) you have have a mental disorder which manifests itself with an inflated sense of your own importance and a deep need for admiration.
B) Behind this mask of ultra-confidence lies a fragile self-esteem, vulnerable to the slightest criticism.
C) You present a persistent sense of inadequacy, a tendency to self-diminishment, sometimes resulting in excessive aggressiveness.
Imhotep's court physicians prescribe psychotherapy.
My scribes agreed that you two make a perfect pair- Looks like a 'Vulcan mind meld' to me.
You should know that I keep stinky under my loving < Learned from Christians> channeling my very "Mysterious ways" - absolute CONTROL!
He is my slave and now he's fallen in love with you. I approve!
I told him in German to be yer pal! ;)
He is a loyal slave- thus his/her response to you.
I am Imhotep® and I approve this post.
Childish nonsense from a fool whose still smarting from the beating he took.
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#579242 Aug 27, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>No worries
I actually like seeing people enjoy themselves online and have some fun with it.
It's a nice change of pace from people who live and breath it to the point where they are making other people role models and faking the jobs they do
Keep on having fun Imhotep
I'm Skombolis and I approved this message:)
I wish the same to you Skombie. ;)
I have no agenda to promote.
I simply enjoy having fun at the expense of others.

I have no gods before me -
not in the past
not now
not in the future

I thoroughly enjoy your continuing banter with Ian's.

"Who's on first. what's on second, I don't know is on 3rd base!"

Eyeview extremism on both ends of the spectrum and just laugh at.

< Leaves another Siri-ism > ;)

Yours in 'Christ' only if 'Allah' is willing and 'Krishna' has received Buddha's certified approval from Zeus.
Shalom ;)
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#579243 Aug 27, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not much of a choice, is it?
I left out couple others. ;)

"They took the king's sons, and slew seventy persons, and put their heads in baskets, and sent him them to Jezreel. And there came a messenger, and told him, saying, They have brought the heads of the king's sons. And he said, Lay ye them in two heaps at the entering in of the gate until the morning." (2 Kings 10:7,8)

Baskets full of heads?
Stephen King is inspired!

"And there was a great famine in Samaria….And the king said unto her, What aileth thee? And she answered, This woman said unto me, Give thy son, that we may eat him to day, and we will eat my son to morrow. So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son." (2 Kings 6:25-29)

That whole scenario is so appalling it nauseates. Boiled her son? Did she boil him like a lobster, just drop the squirming infant into boiling water, or did she kill him first before putting him in the pot?
What spices were used any bay leaves?

I have questions! < Giggles>
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#579244 Aug 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Childish nonsense from a fool whose still smarting from the beating he took.
You seem obsessed with winning is if you were in a contest. LOL What is the score? Seventh inning stretch? Halftime show coming up with you and stinky?

Fool? Indeed thou art! This is God's gift to me and I thank her!

Are you still playing a game or just waiting for your boyfriend, Stinky?

There is no winner. There is no loser.
There is only commentary, nothing more.
Have you always been this obtuse or is today special?

"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#579245 Aug 27, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem obsessed with winning is if you were in a contest. LOL What is the score? Seventh inning stretch? Halftime show coming up with you and stinky?
Fool? Indeed thou art! This is God's gift to me and I thank her!
Are you still playing a game or just waiting for your boyfriend, Stinky?
There is no winner. There is no loser.
There is only commentary, nothing more.
Have you always been this obtuse or is today special?
"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough." ~Aldous Huxley
Bruised ego.

Fennario

#579246 Aug 27, 2013
UIdiotRACEMAKEWORLDPEACE wrote:
[edited for space]

So, what has happened to turn the most peace-loving institution the world has ever known (the New Testament church) into the biggest cheerleaders for war? I’m talking about un-provoked, illegal, unconstitutional, unbiblical–even secret–wars of aggression. The biggest cheerleaders for the unprovoked, unconstitutional, pre-emptive attack and invasion of Iraq were evangelical Christians. Ditto for the war in Afghanistan, the bombing of Libya, the attacks in Yemen, etc. Who is calling for the bombing of Iran? Evangelical Christians. Who cheers for sending more and more troops all over the world to maim and kill more and more people (including innocents)? Evangelical Christians. Shoot (pun intended)! Most evangelical Christians didn’t even bat an eye when the federal government sent military and police personnel to murder American citizens, including old men, women, and children–Christian old men, women, and children, no less–outside Waco, Texas.
And where are today’s evangelical Christians giving a second thought regarding their fellow Christian brothers and sisters in many of these Middle Eastern countries that are being persecuted, imprisoned, tortured, and killed by the puppet regimes being put in power by the US government–at US taxpayer (including Christian taxpayer) expense? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but more Christians have been persecuted under the US-imposed regime in Iraq than were ever persecuted when Saddam Hussein was in power. Oh! And don’t forget that it was the US government that was responsible for putting Saddam Hussein in power to begin with. The US government set up Osama bin Laden, too. But I digress.
In addition to the “white” wars (the ones everyone knows about), the US government authorizes some 70 black ops commando raids in some 120 countries EVERY DAY. In fact, the secret, black ops military of the US is so large today it now totals more personnel than the ENTIRE MILITARY OF CANADA!
A recent report noted,“In 120 countries across the globe, troops from Special Operations Command carry out their secret war of high-profile assassinations, low-level targeted killings, capture/kidnap operations, kick-down-the-door night raids, joint operations with foreign forces, and training missions with indigenous partners as part of a shadowy conflict unknown to most Americans. Once ‘special’ for being small, lean, outsider outfits, today they are special for their power, access, influence, and aura.”
America’s secret wars,
http://tinyurl.com/3q7s335
Thanks for that.

Of course, that moral value - that behavior promoting peace is preferable to picking fights - is older than Jesus.

What I am asking these Christians is what valuable moral advice Jesus originally contributed to the world. I think I already know the answer.

The matter of whether the Christians actually embody those values is a separate issue. I have argued before that not only are humanist values superior on paper, but that humanists are superior at teaching, learning, and living those values as well. That is, not only are Christian values either stolen or shabby, but that they can't seem to live even those as your citation attests.

Blessed are the peacemakers indeed. Meh.
Imhotep

Ocala, FL

#579247 Aug 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Bruised ego.
Don't feel bad it happens to everyone. ;)

Give yourself One quick pat on the back, a sincere 'attaboy' and your bruised ego will recover.

;)

Fennario

#579248 Aug 27, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
"God to me is a mystery but is the explanation for the miracle of existence, why there is something instead of nothing."
Alan Sandage
God is the answer for why there is something instead of nothing? You don't see the problem with that, do you?

Arguments like that reinforce my thoughts about faith.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#579249 Aug 27, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't feel bad it happens to everyone. ;)
Give yourself One quick pat on the back, a sincere 'attaboy' and your bruised ego will recover.
;)
Damage pride.

Still can't get over that beating you took, eh?

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

I'm happy to remind folks of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Religionthebiglie 764,377
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 22 min MUQ2 37,642
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 23 min WildWeirdWillie 175,038
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 30 min andet1987 4,959
what the best model of this wrist watches 35 min andet1987 6
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 39 min RiccardoFire 263,424
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 44 min AN NFL FAN 119,235
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr confrinting with ... 554,844

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE