<quoted text>
Then why are you wearing his underroos? hahahaha
Hohohoho back atcha.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#578654 Aug 25, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
I agree, nobody will be exposed to everything and what people are taught or would be more likely to know depends on what they major in
What a poseur. You have no idea where an education comes from. Somehow, you think that the things we know were all taught to us in college in our majors.
Skombolis wrote:
Its obvious from some of these posts that certain posters have never stepped first inside a university.

LOL. Poseur!
Skombolis wrote:
There is no such thing as advanced university students and they would know the general curriculum is very limited. But on Topix, everybody is a genius:)
Two words: graduate student (I won't trouble you with postdoctoral fellowships)

I'll bet that you bellied up on "What do you think that you have more expertise in than a teenager?" - didn't you.

Get back to your factory or 24-hour mini-mart. You're way out of your element.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#578655 Aug 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
For the last few months I've been taking Noassatall.
The side effects include:
Better finger dexterity.
Vivid dreams.
Absentmindedly caressing the melons in the Whole Food Market until somebody points that out to you.
Noassatall? Isn't that what happened when you backed up into the fan?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#578656 Aug 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He still is. He told me last night that I can't be a lesbian because I've never had sex with a man.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
The Dave Nelson is beyond all comprehension.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#578657 Aug 25, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Thor dropped his hammer it was a terrible accident!
Astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson set out to answer a truly perplexing scientific question Thursday on his Twitter feed: How much does Thor’s hammer weigh?
If Thor’s hammer is indeed made of a star, like the Marvel comic book says, it would weigh as much as 300 billion elephants.
Assuming the average weight of an elephant, this equates to approximately 4.5 quadrillion pounds, according to a Slate report (we’ll trust their math).
Tyson even posted a photo of himself holding the hammer, to provide some proof of the accuracy of his report.
He is one of pop culture’s favorite scientists, having hosted NOVA ScienceNow on PBS for five seasons and appearing frequently on The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and Late Night with Conan O’Brien.
He has hosted three of Reddit’s top 10 Ask Me Anything Q&A’s. He’s also no stranger to comic books — Tyson was featured in an issue of Action Comics in 2012, where he helped determine the location of Superman’s home planet, Krypton.
Thor huh? I'll have ta add that ta my list.
Bongo

Bronx, NY

#578658 Aug 25, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The Dave Nelson is beyond all comprehension.
A real genius and great asset to us all.
Imhotep

Windermere, FL

#578659 Aug 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Better finger dexterity.
Vivid dreams.
Absentmindedly caressing the melons in the Whole Food Market until somebody points that out to you.
Lol

I prefer FUKITAL®

Not to be confused with SODIUM-FAGIDABOUTDIT®

Supercalifragilisticexpialidoc iousium is almost ready for release.

Some of these posters were the original test subjects for Supercalifragilisticexpialidoc iousium!

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Location hidden

#578660 Aug 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
He still is. He told me last night that I can't be a lesbian because I've never had sex with a man.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
Hahahahah!

Fennario

#578661 Aug 25, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, to be honest.. He (Ians) is your "better"..
Thanks, Le_Le. And so are you. Everybody except Shrink is Skombolis' better.

Fennario

#578663 Aug 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
That's probably not the question you want answered. It's analogous to asking if gravity can be reversed, which means turning a force of attraction into one of repulsion. The answer to both is no. They are both relentless, unidirectional processes.
You probably want to know if their effects can be reversed, or countered. The answer is yes. Gravity can be overcome by lifting, and its effect opposed or reversed. But gravity itself is never reversed
Likewise, the entropy of an open system can be reduced by doing work on it (see Maxwell's demon at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell%27s_demo ...).
Your writing on science shows that you have almost no familiarity with it. Yet you write with the demeanor of a person who thinks he understands it. Your question probably should be asking what entropy is, and how it relates to aging.

[edited for space]
Skombolis wrote:
LOL, if only you were as smart as you were arrogant
Not only he asked a legitimate question and it doesn't show a lack of understanding from him and isn't analogous as asking if gravity can be reversed, here is a scientist that disagrees with you:
Question: Can entropy be reversed?
Yes
http://quantumj13.imascientist.org.uk/2013/06...
But what does that guy know right? Here are his qualifications
"Rickmansworth School: GCSEs and 5 A Levels. Oxford University: physics. Now doing a PhD at University College London
Qualifications:
Master’s in Physics at Oxford; studying for a PhD now!
Work History:
I worked at the Large Hadron Collider at CERN for a year
Current Job:
PhD student
Employer:
University College London"
LOL, Ians you big dummy!
Your author was discussing something hypothetical that never actually happens - a spontaneous reduction in the entropy of a complex, closed system. This would be like heat spontaneously traveling from a cooler body to a warmer one, or the grains of sand in a sand dune stacking up after a gust of wind.

The entropy of the universe is always increasing. That is an inexorable fact of physics - a thermodynamic law - that is never violated. Never.

Plus, he made an error:

"For example, if we have a container with two compartments, it is possible that all the air molecules will fly into one compartment."

That's not possible. It would be a violation of the conservation of momentum, which is the vector sum of the directed magnitudes of uncounted numbers of tiny masses in motion. Every time two molecules collide, they go in different directions, not the same direction. They simply can't spontaneously all go the same way if they aren't already doing so.

Now here's the practical truth in his essay, the part physicists use to do actual physics, and which confirms my analysis. He begins by using the same illustration I did, something you've never heard of - Maxwell's demon:

"You might have read about Maxwell’s Demon, a thought experiment in which a Demon is able to decrease entropy by sorting fast and slow molecules ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons... ). But Maxwell’s Demon can only do this by gaining information about the system: and in so doing, Maxwell’s Demon increases information entropy."

And here he is making the distinction between a closed system and an open one just like I did.

"Some machines like fridges and biological cells work by decreasing entropy in a local environment. But in so doing, they increase the entropy around them."

If that's a doctoral candidate in physics, I'd say that I stacked up pretty well against him. That's not my field, just an area of interest. And I am decades out of university. Yet I could write essentially the same essay off of the top of my head.

What you call arrogant is me stepping on you, little man. You can never be a part of my world.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#578664 Aug 25, 2013
River Tam wrote:
Better finger dexterity.
Vivid dreams.
Do you get alternating dry mouth and wet mouth?

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#578665 Aug 25, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> A real genius and great asset to us all.

Congratulations, you have just won the dumber than Dave award!

Location hidden

#578666 Aug 25, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have any Pineapple Express?
Hey, let's make a cross joint.
"James Franco is pleasing to look at", says the lesbian.

Plus he's got killer weed.

:-)
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#578667 Aug 25, 2013
Experiencing God Day By Day:

Abundant Life
"The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly." (John 10:10)
Jesus warns us to be on guard for thieves who will try to rob us of what God has for us. Jesus wants us to enjoy abundant life (John 10:10). Since the time of Adam and Eve, people have had to choose whom to believe. Satan convinced Adam and Eve that forfeiting their obedience to God would gain them everything. Instead, their disobedience robbed them of all they had. For the rest of their lives they experienced only a fraction of the blessings God had intended. Scripture is replete with accounts of those who forfeited their inheritance as children of God in order to gain that which was transitory and empty.
The world seeks to convince you that you will find fulfillment if you adopt its standard of morality for your marriage, raising your children, advancing your career, or pursuing pleasure. If you believe this, you will never experience the blessings God intended for you. Sin brings death (Rom. 6:23). It is tragic to listen to the voices of the world instead of to the One who created life and who wants you to experience life to its fullest.
Jesus wants you to live your life with security, knowing that you are a beloved child of God. If you are not experiencing love, joy, and peace, you have settled for less than what God intends for you. If you have been making excuses for why you are not experiencing an abundant and joyful life, determine today to settle for nothing less than God’s best for your life. Stop following the world’s way of finding satisfaction. Instead, listen to the Savior’s voice, and you will find true fulfillment.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#578668 Aug 25, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
Water will seek a level providing the least resistance.
Yes. There are underground rivers everywhere in the world.
There was this fella who woke up in a sinkhole that caved in right under his bedroom. He wasn't amused, but I found it quite humorous, seeing he wasn't really injured. Could you imagine waking up to that? LOL!
Thanks for your input sis...
Ok

Fennario

#578669 Aug 25, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You are caught in a senility loop! You just keep repeating the question and forgetting the answer! LOL
Bellied up again, didn't you little guy?

< taps glass >

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#578670 Aug 25, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> A real genius and great asset to us all.
<The Dave Nelson> " I love you, Bongo..."

Fennario

#578671 Aug 25, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
From what I was reading it sounded like the application of energy would be required to reverse the process but under very specific scenarios and conditions
Certainly not in my wheelhouse
I just thought it was funny Ians got so condescending with Q when not only it was a legitimate question and one discussed in many scientific forums but was also something many believe can be done. If anything, Ians showed he is the one that doesn't understand what constitutes a legitmate scientific question, not Q
What are you prating on about, Mangleboy? I didn't say that his question was illegitimate. I said that he probably didn't ask the question that he wanted answered. I said that based on the context of his discussion - aging. I'm pretty sure that he was looking for practical information about things that actually happen or might be made to happen, not infinitesimally likely statistical fluctuations with magnitudes on the order of the likelihood of your god existing uncreated.

Furthermore, "something many believe can be done" is incorrect. Your own article discussed that it is not feasible:

"It’s not possible for humans to do anything in particular to increase entropy though. For example, we could try to pump all the molecules into one compartment, but that would involve doing mechanical work, and mechanical work increases entropy by creating heat."

He miswrote there. He meant decrease in his first sentence, not increase.

He also wrote, "So, fluctuations against entropy are possible, but improbable and we can do nothing to increase their likelihood." That also contradicts you, and supports my position that we cannot reverse entropy just like we cannot reverse gravity.

Skombolis: "From what I was reading it sounded like the application of energy would be required to reverse the process but under very specific scenarios and conditions"

You read that in my post: "Likewise, the entropy of an open system can be reduced by doing work on it"

You have no idea what you have been reading about.

As for your guess that I looked that material up to write those posts, you're wrong. That's off the top of my head, just like the posts on statistical significance ellipsoids. The flood calculations were all mine as well, although I had to look up the physical constants about the mass of the earth and the volume of the oceans.

And I generated the math projecting the year that your church assumes minority status in the US from the raw ARIS and Pew data.

How? While you were sitting in prison or gulping Vicodin, I was studying. I still study. I studied about six hours today already distilling the data from multiple web sites and crafting a paper on the Minorwood convention in bridge for my partner and I, who will be attending a major tournament this fall.

So imagine my reaction to a pustule like you and your pathetic grunting. If I'm arrogant, what are you? I can deliver.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#578672 Aug 25, 2013
What are some sins of this last-day industrial age.

Men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud trucebreakers. 2 Timothy 3:2

Conflict between capital and labor

Location hidden

#578673 Aug 25, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you get alternating dry mouth and wet mouth?
I have Popsicles.

Wanna watch?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Bongo 37,113
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 7 min DENG 38,292
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 9 min Not religious 44,252
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min confrinting with ... 640,982
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr trifecta1 969,764
NASA's MORONIC "theory" on the origions of life... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Mexicunn men in America r punk zza beechizz!! 1 hr Doctor REALITY 13
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 280,834
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 104,540
More from around the web