Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#577803 Aug 24, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
"Adapt or perish, now as ever, is nature's inexorable imperative."
~ H.G. Wells
For all seek their own not the things which are Jesus Christ.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#577804 Aug 24, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
[Spritual high] has to be experienced to be understood. Trying to explain it to an unbeliever would be like a bird trying to explain what flying is like to a turtle.
What would you know about spirituality, Christian? You seem to think that it is connected to your absurd belief system, an infantilizing and alienating ideology that stunts spiritual development.

Here's a clue: spirituality has nothing to do with spirits and ghosts, nothing to do with magic or the supernatural. It's about connectivity to this life in this world.
Imhotep

Windermere, FL

#577805 Aug 24, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont assume things.......Because Ians calls me a christian doesnt mean I am one. I agree with alot of what he says, I just have a problem with how he says it. I tell him that and he doesnt like it. Thats his problem not mine and it doesnt make me a christian. I like alot of the christians here and will stick up for them, another thing Ians doesnt like.
I have read the bible. Its why I'm no longer a christian. Its hard to follow, I wondered why alot of that stuff was included. I won't tell you I remember much of it, I cant quote hardly any of it. Scholars far smarter then me study it for years and come up with different opinions of the bible itself, let alone the different books of the bible. My opinion was that it was mostly fiction. I was a christian for fourty + years and I defended the book and made the apologies for it. I am not going to mock and ridicule those who still believe it, now that 'I have seen the light'. I wish it would go away, I feel the world would be better off without it, but i dont see it going anywhere soon.
I recently met up with an old friend. I found it kinda funny that I used to worry about his soul when we were younger. I never preached to him or anything, but he was an atheist and I felt sorry that he would not be with me and most of our friends in heaven in the end. i prayed for him. I found out he is now a christian, LOL, While I am no longer one LOL (unless of course you ask Ians). Once again I didnt say anything. Isnt life ironic........
I must agree with you on that one. Irony

I think all religions are patently ridiculous.
I was never raised into any religion nor were my parents. Until 911, really had zero interest in it.

Things change - I see it now as poisonous to mankind.

Religion divides people. And for what?

Frankly I just read through a few posts- this is pure entertainment for me.

If you read any of my stuff you should be able to determine this.

I have no agenda. Nothing to sell or promote.
Only my personal opinion and of course my rapier wit, laced with extreme sarcasm.

I do endeavor to post factual information at all times and encourage anyone who finds something in what I posted inaccurate, to inform me.

Fennario

#577806 Aug 24, 2013
Trifecta1 wrote:
You don't care, so now YHWH Almighty don't care either.
Your god is petty.
Trifecta1 wrote:
And simply just waiting for you to Die, You will have proof that a Deity exist then, and after you get you proof then YHWH hand out to you judgment and a horrific punishment to you for eternity for rejecting Him.
And needy, vindictive and sadistic.

This is the Christian exemplar of love, mercy, and justice.

Incidentally, that policy of torturing human beings forever for no crime at all is why if your god existed, and we had the power, we would be justified in murdering it.
Imhotep

Windermere, FL

#577807 Aug 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
But they will be rich fall into temptation and a snare and into many foolish and hurtful lust which drown men in destruction and perdition.
They shall cast their silver in the streets and their gold shall be removed; their silver and their gold shall not be able to deliver them in the day of the wrath of the Lord; they shall not satisfy their souls, neither fill their bowels; because it is the stumbling block of their iniquity.
Wisdom of the Holy Bible.
Wisdom?

Behold, I am against thee, saith the LORD of hosts; and I will discover thy skirts upon thy face, and I will shew the nations thy nakedness.--Nahum 3:5

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God..... a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken ... he shall not ... come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries.-- Lev.21:16-23

Try Harder

Fennario

#577808 Aug 24, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
they reject anything that can't be proven to them. So much of the beauty in this world comes from tapping into natural forces. I know you and Larry don't get along but I was really happy to see when he talked about the orange moon after the full moon and was going to ponder it'd significance. To someone with nothing but science it means nothing. But for others it represents a part of a beautiful and mostly unknown part of the world. Why else would man be moved to ponder his existence or God or life's questions by simply looking at a moon if all he saw was a different reflection of light? The reason man can ponder great questions is because he doesn't think he is the greatest thing in the universe. To some of these atheists, the greatest thing in life will never be more than themselves and their own selfish desires
Your vision is painfully tiny. Your worldview is impossibly simplistic. You have no idea what your betters experience.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#577809 Aug 24, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Wisdom?
Behold, I am against thee, saith the LORD of hosts; and I will discover thy skirts upon thy face, and I will shew the nations thy nakedness.--Nahum 3:5
And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying ... Whosoever ... hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God..... a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken ... he shall not ... come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries.-- Lev.21:16-23
Try Harder
You just screwed up bud with only two words try harder.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#577810 Aug 24, 2013
<quoted text>
He is a good author, but is he a must read author?
Hardly not. Is Vonnegut required reading material in college or what?
.. no, Vonnegut is not mandatory reading, depends on the curriculum. However, collegians and professors regularly address his works and students love to read him because, in many respects, Vonnegut influenced literature ..

.. unless you're a social hermit, it's virtually impossible to attend college for four years without hearing Vonnegut's name. The same applies to writers like Faulkner, Thoreau or Ayn Rand; even Upton Sinclair ..

.. sorry, Rider, it is what it is ..
Imhotep

Windermere, FL

#577811 Aug 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Something to consider...

Like those of the Jewish writer Josephus, the works of the ancient historians Pliny, Suetonius and Tacitus do not provide proof that Jesus Christ ever existed as a "historical" character.

Pliny the Younger, Roman Official and Historian (62-113 CE)
Tacitus, Roman Politician and Historian,(c. 56-120 CE)
Suetonius, Roman Historian (c. 69-c. 122 CE)

When addressing the mythical nature of Jesus Christ, one issue repeatedly raised is the purported "evidence" of his existence to be found in the writings of Flavius Josephus, the famed Jewish general and historian who lived from about 37 to 100 CE.

In Josephus's Antiquities of the Jews appears the notorious passage regarding Christ called the "Testimonium Flavianum" ("TF"):

"Now, there was about this time, Jesus, a wise man, if it be lawful to call him a man, for he was a doer of wonderful works,--a teacher of such men as receive the truth with pleasure. He drew over to him both many of the Jews, and many of the Gentiles. He was [the] Christ; and when Pilate, at the suggestion of the principal men amongst us, had condemned him to the cross, those that loved him at the first did not forsake him, for he appeared to them alive again the third day, as the divine prophets had foretold these and ten thousand other wonderful things concerning him; and the tribe of Christians, so named from him, are not extinct at this day."

The are: No sculptures, no drawings, no markings in stone, nothing written in his own hand; and no letters, no commentaries, indeed no authentic documents written by his Jewish and Gentile contemporaries, Justice of Tiberius, Philo, Josephus, Seneca, Petronius Arbiter, Pliny the Elder, et al., to lend credence to his historicity.

In the final analysis there is no evidence that the biblical character called "Jesus Christ" ever existed.

All of these historians were born well after the alleged events.

'Hearsay' is not 'evidence' for a reason!

Caesar by comparison is easily verified.

Here is a story very similar to your myth... ;)
And no... not an atheist site

http://jdstone.org/cr/files/mithraschristiani...

1) Hundreds of years before Jesus, according to the Mithraic religion, three Wise Men of Persia came to visit the baby savior-god Mithra, bring him gifts of gold, myrrh and frankincense.
2) Mithra was born on December 25 as told in the “Great Religions of the World”, page 330; “…it was the winter solstice celebrated by ancients as the birthday of Mithraism’s sun god”.
3) According to Mithraism, before Mithra died on a cross, he celebrated a “Last Supper with his twelve disciples, who represented the twelve signs of the zodiac.
4) After the death of Mithra, his body was laid to rest in a rock tomb.
5) Mithra had a celibate priesthood.
6) Mithra ascended into heaven during the spring (Passover) equinox (the time when the sun crosses the equator making night and day of equal length).

After you dwell on that - bear in mind this same myth - exists for the Egyptian god RA. It is believed by many that the Egyptian religion is the prototype for which the desert religions evolved.

http://youtube.com/watch...

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#577812 Aug 24, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. it's my contention that what you and Serah term a 'spiritual experience' happens to believers and non-believers alike and is usually prompted by an intense emotional state including grief, fear or euphoria ..
.. believers interpret it as a sign of God while non-believers look to science for answers. These experiences are personal and difficult to articulate ..
.. the day I watched my grandfather die, I don't know if my 'spiritual experience,' my exquisite 'high' at the moment of his death, came from the neurons in my brain or from some Higher Power transmitting energy ..
.. I don't know what it was all about and, frankly, I don't need to know; a rational or irrational explanation is not necessary ..
.. was it a gift from God, an altered brain? Who knows? All I know is I had the power of a million and when he finally died, I experienced a profound love. For me, that is the very essence of a spiritual experience and it goes beyond definition ..
.. I don't want to play word semantics because it was my experience and I choose to define it as spiritual ..
It is called life. We all experience it. The religious do not have a monopoly on it.
Living itself is a "spiritual/emotional/neur ological/" experience.
Imhotep

Windermere, FL

#577814 Aug 24, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Whether as an allegory or not, a disgusting story is told about raping a woman to death: "

"The man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go." (Judges 19:25)

Her "lord" finds her dead in the morning. "And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces." (Judges 19:29)

Would you read this story to your 12-year-old?

If a virgin is raped, the rapist must pay the now non-virginal girl's father "fifty shekels" and the girl must marry her rapist.

So says the Bible.(Deuteronomy 22:28, 29) The daughter of any priest, who "profanes" him by being a whore, "shall be burnt with fire." (Leviticus 21:9)

The Bible is obsessed with hymens and whores.

Not at all coincidentally, the Bible makes it seem like a woman can be a "whore" or lose her hymen, all by herself.

No Thanks !
Try Harder

“"None shall pass"”

There

#577815 Aug 24, 2013
<quoted text>
He is a good author, but is he a must read author?
Hardly not. Is Vonnegut required reading material in college or what?
At University, one is encouraged to investigate and widen ones horizons in all things. Less than half of what is on "The reading list" is the reading required.

I get the impression that you have not progressed beyond High School and have the "Is this going on be on the test?" mindset.

Those with such a mindset are usually the 50+% that drop or flunk out in the first semester..

“"None shall pass"”

There

#577816 Aug 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god is petty.
<quoted text>
Incidentally, that policy of torturing human beings forever for no crime at all is why if your god existed, and we had the power, we would be justified in murdering it.
Death sentence for harmless thought crimes.
Such a loving God!

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#577817 Aug 24, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
It is called life. We all experience it. The religious do not have a monopoly on it.
Living itself is a "spiritual/emotional/neur ological/" experience.
.. good points !!..

.. how ya doin' today ??..

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#577818 Aug 24, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
<quoted text>
Guilty?
Exactly right.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#577819 Aug 24, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. good points !!..
.. how ya doin' today ??..
Better than I expected. The Interferon is worst for 24 hours after the injection. So far the Rivivirin is just giving me a slight headache and dizziness.

By back hurts real bad and if it keeps up I will see if I can find a good masseuse. The heating pad isn't helping much.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#577820 Aug 24, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. no, Vonnegut is not mandatory reading, depends on the curriculum. However, collegians and professors regularly address his works and students love to read him because, in many respects, Vonnegut influenced literature ..
.. unless you're a social hermit, it's virtually impossible to attend college for four years without hearing Vonnegut's name. The same applies to writers like Faulkner, Thoreau or Ayn Rand; even Upton Sinclair ..
.. sorry, Rider, it is what it is ..
Oh come on HL.

I bet I could go to the local college and randomly pick 10 people and less then 1/2 could tell me who the current VPOTUS is. I'd also bet I could pick 10 more and 1/2 would never had heard of Vonnegut......

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#577821 Aug 24, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
At University, one is encouraged to investigate and widen ones horizons in all things. Less than half of what is on "The reading list" is the reading required.
I get the impression that you have not progressed beyond High School and have the "Is this going on be on the test?" mindset.
Those with such a mindset are usually the 50+% that drop or flunk out in the first semester..
It still doesnt explain why someone graduating from college would need to know who Vonnegut was.

I dropped out of HS. But checked out of school at about 7'th grade. I got my GED at 24 and was told That I should go on to college because I scored pretty high above the average. I went on to trade school learned a trade and did well in that before starting my business in an unrelated field.......

I took college courses about 15 years ago when I was working my trade. I took some biology courses and it was very evident and clear to me that I would not be able to get through college. I dropped out.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#577822 Aug 24, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Caesar by comparison is easily verified....
Not easy at all.
Written accounts prove nothing unless supported by archeological evidence. As new evidence is revealed, "history" is rewritten.

Sadly, we would understand a lot more about Jesus and Christianity without religious interference.

Christians, Muslims and Jews have a vested interest in NOT knowing the true history. That is antithetical to research and truth seeking.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#577823 Aug 24, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Your god is petty.
<quoted text>
It wouldn't be murder in that case, but execution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 25 min lightbeamrider 3,949
The Future of Politics in America 27 min Johnny 190
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 30 min Ruby88 54,092
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 30 min AussieBobby 284,527
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 37 min UIDIOTRACEMAkeWOR... 184,714
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 42 min Devil number 666 665,277
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 57 min RiccardoFire 45,815
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 2 hr nanoanomaly 525
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Devil number 666 977,265
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 97
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 hr UIDIOTRACEMAWORLD... 88,044
More from around the web