Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#576839 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Leviticus was written for the Levites, yes.
Any Christian that quotes it to you as Christian law is a fool.
You can quote me on that.
The entire Bible was wriiten for Middle Eastern Jews. That's Old and New Testaments, both.

Well, Paul was a pagan, but whatever.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#576840 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing.
The ancient Israelite and Levite laws are written for all to see.
They are part of your Bible, yes?

But they're something for you to ignore? Is that what you mean? Your deity didn't really mean those words for all who believe in it?

That's totally cool. I'm just clarifying.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#576841 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you please stop the name calling? Thank you.
Duties of Priests and Levites
http://mobile.biblegateway.com/passage/...
They were priest's helpers, in a way.
You know Moses was a Levite?
You know there are still Levites, descendants of Jacob, today?
The Levites were the priests and distributed within the other tribes. Levites were not allowed to own land, being a preist was supposed to be wealth enough.
Ask a Jew about their own religion for a change.
Yes, according to the Bible, Moses and Aaron were Levites. So what ?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#576842 Aug 22, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Try as you might you cannot besmirch the "church". The church will always be, and it may be slow but its ahead of you.
It's actually behind me, Bongo, and many others. The 'Church" may be large, but more and more people are realizing the futility of that organization. They are putting it behind them.

Will we outnumber it? I dunno, I tend to look at it like there are 5 billion people that aren't Christians, and I'm one of those 5 billion.

I also look at Islam and note that there are roughly 6 billion people that aren't Islamic, and I'm one of those 6 billion, too.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm a member and proponent of the the people who don't have a belief in other peoples deities.

That's one thing the atheist has in common with, literally, every person on the earth.

We don't believe in the deities people don't believe in and we don't believe in deities that people do believe in.

Some stable somewhere

#576843 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
"They", not "we".
Italians used to kill people in the colosseum. Does that mean they still do?
The Bible also refers to bats as birds. Do we still call them birds?
It's a story of THEIR culture and rules. Rules that Jesus changed.
The people who lived in what we call "Italy" weren't Italian. They were Roman.

Do you not understand that contemporary nations are relatively recent inventions? All countries are imagined realities. They're not naturally real - we make them real through the social.

Italy did not exist when the Colosseum was built. The land itself did, and that was part of the Roman Empire.

As per your second point, awesome. I'm right there with you. That does away with stupid ideas of creationism.

Ok, so knowing what you just stated, how much of the Bible can be excised from a religious standpoint and not a historical one?
Imhotep

United States

#576844 Aug 22, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It's more a waste of his time.
Old Testament commands in Exodus 22:18 that, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" and then again in Leviticus 20:27 that, "A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or is a wizard, shall surely be put to death"
Your only rebuttal to that is that in a remote part of the same bible, one can find a scripture from Paul negating Old Testament law. But so what? Jesus contradicts Paul on that matter.
The Middle Ages were filled with examples of Christians that disagreed with you, and the same is true in Africa today.
And that's what matters: not your preferred interpretation of those words, but what people did and do with them. Not only can you not polish that turd, the more you try, the more the rebuttal appears in print as well. If you think that's a win or a wash for you, think again.
"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." ~George Bernard Shaw

There are, of course, many sins one can commit in the eyes of religion. Among the greatest is the sin of having an original thought. Religion disapproves of original thought the way Dracula disapproves of sunlight.

The Borderland of Sol

#576845 Aug 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. And none will admit it. "The Emperor's New Clothes" was an accurate and scathing polemic against religion.
*sigh*

It maketh mine eyes to roll.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#576846 Aug 22, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Good morning Annie! have you notice how nice I've been to you lately?
Yes...I have. Is there a reason?

Have you noticed that since you have been nice to me...I have returned kindness to you?

I think this is the way it should be...don't you?

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#576847 Aug 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoooop! There it is!
As I prophesied! The "Real Christian" fallacy!
Yessir.

Some stable somewhere

#576848 Aug 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
The recent re-edits of the Ancient Alien series have inserted "According to Ancient Alien Theorists" into the dialogues.
They are relating a variety of actual beliefs out there, there was no deception nor presented in an unethical matter. It was however confusingly presented in the past.
<quoted text>
I don't know what you're talking about, to be honest. Never watch those shows.

However, the clip and post presented to me blatantly ignored our research into the gene and suggested it was of miraculous or alien origin. That's utterly false. For a TV show to suggest that is borderline fraud.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#576849 Aug 22, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
With the exception of 26, you just described my ex husband. Sh!t, I was married to God! Oh my.
Funny, Juice.

But this isn't:

GOD: THE ABUSIVE BOYFRIEND
http://conversationalatheist.com/general-essa...

Ways the Christian God is like the most extreme version of an abusive (and possibly psychotic) boyfriend:

[1] Needs constant praise.
[2] Makes you feel guilty for just being human.
[3] Has severe jealousy issues.
[4] He lets painful experiences happen to you that he could easily prevent, just to test your devotion to Him.
[5] Claims credit for everything good in your life; claims nothing bad in your life comes from Him.
[6] Threatens you with eternal torture if you ever leave Him.
[7] He is constantly swearing that He loves you and you need Him.

Ways to tell if you are in danger of being taken advantage of in a relationship with this abusive God:

[8] You are highly defensive of Him from even the slightest criticism of His flaws.
[9] You talk to Him every night, and He never responds yet still expects unwavering devotion.

==========

GOD AS ABUSER: SIMILARITIES BETWEEN THE CHRISTIAN GOD AND ABUSIVE SPOUSES http://atheism.about.com/od/whatisgod/p/Abuse...

[too wordy to recopy in this space, but these are the section headings:

• Victims are Afraid of the Abuser
• Abusers Use of Threats and Intimidation to Force Compliance
• Abusers Withholds Resources from Victims
• Abusers Instill Feelings of Inadequacy in Victims
• Victims Feel they Deserve to be Punished by Abusers
• Victims are Not Trusted by Abusers
• Emotional Dependency of the Abuser on the Victim
• Blaming the Victim for the Abuser’s Actions

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#576850 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because the Bible says "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" does not imply that means everybody who reads and obeys the Bible must follow every single word in it.....
Or not to follow a single word of it since it was for people 2000 years ago, not us.

OK

Cut and paste Bible is OK with RR! Yeah!

The Borderland of Sol

#576851 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Just because the Bible says "thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" does not imply that means everybody who reads and obeys the Bible must follow every single word in it.
Just as with the Levite laws, Christians aren't supposed to follow the laws in exodus, either.
Jesus changed everything.
No, he specifically said that he didn't.

Thank you for finally admitting that you just pick and choose what bit of the Bible agree with you.

Cafeteria Christian.

Buffet Biblicist.

The Borderland of Sol

#576852 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't either. Who is he?
Never took an American Lit course either, huh?

I remain unflabbergasted.

Fennario

#576853 Aug 22, 2013
BIBLE TRUE JEHOVA wrote:
you learn yoursleves basic moral ethics from jesus
No thanks. I have better ethics than Jesus already. For example, I don't condone slavery.

Can you name any original moral concept from the mouth of Jesus worth adopting? The only worthwhile moral advice Jesus gave was said by others first, and the only moral advice said first by Jesus is bad advice.

Can you contradict that statement and support your claim? This is the fourth time I've asked this question, and not a single Christian has offered a rebuttal.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#576854 Aug 22, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
Good morning to all...
Too much to catch up on so...
Trifecta...I saw your post yesterday concerning BenAdam...I just wanted to commend you for that. We don't ever know what is going on in other peoples lives that might cause them to respond the way that they do.
Rider...you asked if homosexuals were condemned in the church that I attended...LOL...all sex was condemned!
Actually...where I grew up the word "sex" was whispered...nor discussed...nor even explained to children. At most...the phrase..."sins of the flesh" was preached from the pulpit. I had no idea what "sins of the flesh" meant.
If this gives you and idea...when my sister married (many years ago) her husband had been divorced. She hid that from my parents and the community because the people in my area considered that "sinful".
The area where I grew up is VERY homophobic and probably many gays remain in hiding. Looking back...they were also racist...though not verbally but by thought process.
There is still a county close by to where I grew up that if a black family moves in...they are unwelcome and attempts are made to make them leave.
So the area has gotten better I suppose but I didn't fit in there as a child...I still don't. I owe that to my mother...she set the example of "love they neighbor".
An example...my nephew married a girl from Fiji...most in the area consider her black because she is darker skinned...my sister worries that people will treat her as she is black. What is funny about that...she (my niece) and I went shopping together one day...3 different people (strangers) thought she was my daughter! We laughed our butts off.
BTW Rider...did you ever start your walk training? I hurt my knee on a stationary bike so I had to stop for a while and then start all over.
Good morning Annie;

You are so right people sometimes do not realize what others are going thru and facing on a daily bases. I have read testimonies and wondered could I have done that type of walk or would I have fell down weak as a kitten or would I have pulled up the boot straps and done a war march. Thanks for your sharing this a.m.
Hope the knee get better.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#576855 Aug 22, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i believe fascism should be burned with fire like the witchcraft that it breeds!;)
When you self-immolate, do it at night. It looks cooler that way.

Fennario

#576856 Aug 22, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
Chris neglected to mention the Egyptians being mass murdered by christians.
He doesn't care. It interferes with his victim motif.
JuicyLullz wrote:
I say let them wipe each other out.
I say lets "kill" both religions instead so that their priests stop teaching people to hate and kill each other on their behalf.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#576857 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>
It's more a waste of his time.
Old Testament commands in Exodus 22:18 that, "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" and then again in Leviticus 20:27 that, "A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or is a wizard, shall surely be put to death"
Your only rebuttal to that is that in a remote part of the same bible, one can find a scripture from Paul negating Old Testament law. But so what? Jesus contradicts Paul on that matter.
The Middle Ages were filled with examples of Christians that disagreed with you, and the same is true in Africa today.
And that's what matters: not your preferred interpretation of those words, but what people did and do with them. Not only can you not polish that turd, the more you try, the more the rebuttal appears in print as well. If you think that's a win or a wash for you, think again.
Well, that's my whole point, IANS. That those scriptures are not meant as laws for Christians but are telling of of the laws and the covenant with God of the ancient Israelites.

I KNOW that some people have used those laws to commit terrible acts, but that still doesn't mean that's what they're written for.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#576858 Aug 22, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:

'Thou shall not suffer a witch to live.' Exodus 22:18
Geez I wonder what that means.
According to RH, nothing. You're supposed to know to ignore that because one of two conflicting opinions says to a few hundred pages later in a book that almost nobody reads in its entirety.
You're being intellectually dishonest. I never said that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 5 min New Ideas 434
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 5 min Catcher1 56,006
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min kent 650,059
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 10 min WasteWater 106,067
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 13 min New Ideas 44,944
Why do black children behave worse in school th... (Sep '10) 34 min blackman 405
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Clearwater 182,937
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 13 hr brandy trujillo 971,739
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) Mon Jesus 47
More from around the web