“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Sunburnt Country

#576676 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry.
They can replace the crosses.
Better yet, why not use miniature electric chairs, or syringes, and bring that capital punishment thing up to date.
That reminds me:

How do you know that Jesus was crucified and not sent to the electric chair?
A: Because if he had be electrocuted, all the Catholics would shake themselves and go ARRGGHH!

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#576677 Aug 22, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read Slaughterhouse 5.
Good book! He is missed.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#576678 Aug 22, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read Slaughterhouse 5.
I enjoyed Cat's Cradle.
His mockery of religion in it is perfect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokononism

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#576679 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Just look at the works of Washington, Newton, Mozart, Pascal, Boyle, Cromwell, Descartes, Shakespeare, Galilei, Copernicus, Pasteur, Kelvin, Edison, Bell, Tesla, Planck, Ford, the Wright bros, Churchill, Lewis, Kennedy, and arguably Darwin.
Then you'll start to understand the contributions Christians and Christianity have given to this world.
Oh. I thought that you were saying that Christianity had merit, not just that some people who might also have been Christians made contributions.

I don't say that Christians have made no contribution. I say Christianity and the church haven't. The gifts those great people gave us came from their great minds, not your church or bible.

My point is that the church hasn't and doesn't help mankind, and that its loss will be no loss at all. Are we agreed there, or do you have something to offer as a counterargument?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#576680 Aug 22, 2013
boko-maru – the supreme act of worship of the Bokononists, which is an intimate act consisting of prolonged contact between the naked soles of the feet of two persons.

A play on "soul to soul".

Vonnegut was a genius.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#576681 Aug 22, 2013
In the beginning was the word which was strange since language didn't exist yet.

Then god said.... nothing because he didn't make air yet to carry vibrations.

The god got very upset and his work became very shabby.

He made man on the last day and rushed the job so he could take a nap.

Man was the last and worst of his handy work. We are bringing a class action suit against god for negligence and asking that god accept all responsibility for the damage caused by his malfeasance.

As yet, god has refused to show up for any court hearings. There are bench warrants issued for him.
He is to be considered armed and dangerous and has a history of violence and homicide.

Fennario

#576682 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
There is no "wall" of separation between church and state.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Call it what you like, it has kept your church out of the government with about 95% efficiency. Whatever it is that you are saying isn't.
Skombolis wrote:
Actually my only point was on the correlation to that and the perception of atheism somehow becoming the driving force politically. Which would be the case if somehow the "church" was in its death throes and 95% of its influence was removed from government.
You sure mangled that one.

Your comment has almost nothing at all to do with mine. There was no mention atheism, driving political forces, churches, or death throes. That all comes from your data corrupting mind.

I said that there is a wall of separation between church and state, and implied an approximately 5% breach, which was a reference to such things as your god in the Pledge and on the currency, the church being regarded by government as a charities rather than a business and a political organization, the National Day of Prayer, and The White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#576683 Aug 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks.

He knows he is lying. Denial of the truth is the basic tenet of Christianity.
At least on Topix, yeah, it seems so.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#576684 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>
Oh. I thought that you were saying that Christianity had merit, not just that some people who might also have been Christians made contributions.
I don't say that Christians have made no contribution. I say Christianity and the church haven't. The gifts those great people gave us came from their great minds, not your church or bible.
My point is that the church hasn't and doesn't help mankind, and that its loss will be no loss at all. Are we agreed there, or do you have something to offer as a counterargument?
None of the examples he gave had anything to do with Christianity. In fact, Christianity stifled most of them.

For example, Da Vinci had to do much of his work in secret for fear of the Church.
The most notable proof of the negative effects on progress by the Church was the horrid and deceitful treatment of Galileo.

Fennario

#576685 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
I'm spreading a Christian message of tolerance and understanding.
That's not the Christian message. If you stand for the church, you stand for all of it that you don't disavow explicitly.

Montreal

#576686 Aug 22, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks.

He knows he is lying. Denial of the truth is the basic tenet of Christianity.
It's more along the lines of him not wanting to bring it up again though, because he knows it was a stupid thing to say and that he's wrong.
The correct course of action for him and his ilk is to either lie that they never said that, or to claim that they're right, and fight, even though the evidence is stacked against them.

They very rarely admit they are wrong when they're wrong.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#576687 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You sure mangled that one.
Your comment has almost nothing at all to do with mine. There was no mention atheism, driving political forces, churches, or death throes. That all comes from your data corrupting mind.
I said that there is a wall of separation between church and state, and implied an approximately 5% breach, which was a reference to such things as your god in the Pledge and on the currency, the church being regarded by government as a charities rather than a business and a political organization, the National Day of Prayer, and The White House Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships.
RR has netted more herrings than a 150' trawler.

Montreal

#576688 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>I believe I was referring to killing in war.

Remind me, I don't recall the conversation.
You weren't referring to killing in war, unless the war was against disobedient children. We started talking about it by talking of how your bible says to murder children from because disobedient.

You then claimed that it was fine, since it was legal at the time.

Montreal

#576689 Aug 22, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Stalin killed them in the tens of thousands, but we know you are not communist. Ben on the other hand is identifying with a mass murderer not unlike Hitler.
And how is he doing that?

Montreal

#576690 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>It says that in the very beginning, the fourth word of the Bible.
But it's not talking to YOU.
It's talking to the people of that time.

Montreal

#576691 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>So? You get to claim that you were born homosexual.

It's a two-way street, bucko.
This is just sad, I really pity you for how empty your mind must be.

I learned I was gay without being taught how to be gay, I just learned that instead of liking females, I like males.

You, on the other hand, HAVE TO be taught your religion.
Unless you're making the horribly stupid claim that when you were born, you already knew the stories about your god, Jesus, Moses, and so on?

Fennario

#576692 Aug 22, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
I think RH would burn witches at the stake, given the proper order from his deity.
Of course he would. Those are Christian ethics: whatever they believe the god commands is good.
RiversideHick wrote:
You're both wrong. God has NEVER commanded a Christian to kill a witch.
Your reading comprehension can be as bad as Skombolis'

Even if your god existed, and even the command to not suffer witches did not appear in your bible, it would remain true that Christians believe the whatever they understand their god to have commanded is good because it comes from the god /so called Divine Command ethics. From http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism... :

"The divine command theory (DCT) of ethics holds that an act is either moral or immoral solely because God either commands us to do it or prohibits us from doing it, respectively. On DCT the only thing that makes an act morally wrong is that God prohibits doing it, and all that it means to say that torture is wrong is that God prohibits torture."

So yes, Catcher and I are both correct.

Montreal

#576693 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>You're projecting you own violent history onto us. Those aren't humanist values.

RiversideHick wrote, "We HAVE TO find a peaceful way out."

Like that? You're setting a fine example.

RiversideHick wrote, "A means of peacefully coexisting without fear of bloodshed or retaliation for a belief. It all starts with tolerance. Something both dudes if this debate are hopefully learning. "

This is peaceful.

And we are tolerant of you. Religious intolerance involves police, armies, prisons, Inquisitions, concentration camps, and the like. We will limit our weapons to reasonable words - humanist values.

Perhaps by tolerance you mean acceptance of Christian bigotry: atheophobia, homophobia and misogyny.

No. That's not negotiable.
Right you are, well said.

Montreal

#576694 Aug 22, 2013
<quoted text>You're projecting you own violent history onto us. Those aren't humanist values.

RiversideHick wrote, "We HAVE TO find a peaceful way out."

Like that? You're setting a fine example.

RiversideHick wrote, "A means of peacefully coexisting without fear of bloodshed or retaliation for a belief. It all starts with tolerance. Something both dudes if this debate are hopefully learning. "

This is peaceful.

And we are tolerant of you. Religious intolerance involves police, armies, prisons, Inquisitions, concentration camps, and the like. We will limit our weapons to reasonable words - humanist values.

Perhaps by tolerance you mean acceptance of Christian bigotry: atheophobia, homophobia and misogyny.

No. That's not negotiable.
Oh wait! You forgot racism!

Montreal

#576695 Aug 22, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>They killed in an ignorant view of Christianity.

Nowhere does the Bible tell anyone that we need to kill witches. Nowhere. It's a story telling us about the covenant between God and the ancient Israelites.

Ancient law, that Jesus did away with.

Christians are not to kill witches, they just fell for the same pack if lies that you did. You're no different than they are.
Nevertheless, they killed FOR CHRISTIANITY. It is EXTREMELY RARE for anyone to kill anyone for atheism.

Pure logic escapes you, I see.

By the way, it wasn't an "ignorant view of Christianity," for your bible ORDERED them to do it!
Your views are based off of THEIR views too, so once again, it's the same view of Christianity.
The only difference is that it's illegal now, that's why you aren't running down the streets, torching houses, and claiming your god told you to do it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 min Dr Banonator 106,066
SEALS vs. "Green Berets"...who would win? (Jan '08) 6 min Lenin 164
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min another viewer 971,782
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 11 min Dr Banonator 56,035
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 17 min Charles 650,314
Need Gay under 16 Facetime numbers ;) (Feb '14) 40 min Dave 9
News Asian Newspaper Under Fire for 'I Hate Blacks' ... (Feb '07) 1 hr dave 87
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr Xcentric in Vidor 445,915
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 17 hr akon mason 70
More from around the web