Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#576082 Aug 21, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems because y'alls is stuck in medeival times and refuse to see all the good Christians have done for the world.
<quoted text>
Because you don't want to be considered a sinner. People are not to be hated, sins are. You don't see certain actions as sins as we do. We have a different (not better or worse, just different) moral code than you do.
<quoted text>
Because you're ignorant of Christianity and all that it entails. It seem sy'all only read the OT and focus only on "negative" aspects of the OT.
Not it at all RR...on any of these counts.

I did notice however...your messages is...it is all someone elses fault that Christianity is misunderstood.

To counter your opinions...

I have never...not once...said that Christians are not responsible for any good that is done.

I have never...not once...implied that I have not "sinned" or did things that I would consider wrong.

I rarely refer to the OT...most of my reading comes from the NT.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#576083 Aug 21, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. It was repulsive. They must have beaten those people first, since they were clearly suffering from shock while they were lit aflame.
Anyways, that gives you a window into Christianity of 200 years ago plus in Western culture (well, maybe 400 years ago). Sadly, that is Christianity in Kenya today - and all the other places Scar just linked to you.
So, yes, the words in the Bible, when taken literally, have immoral and "evil," as you put it, results.
I'm sorry, but I don't see that as "Christianity" 200+ years ago. I see that as ugly, hate-filled people that will do whatever they can to inflict pain and death on other people.

Just like I don't say "atheism killed" blah, blah, blah under Stalin. That was also hate-filled people that used their government and their non-religion as an excuse to 'legally' kill people.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#576084 Aug 21, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You should be impressed! Impressed with fear!
That is what happens when the only education you have is the Bible.
STOP. Just stop right there.

You made the claim that their only education is from the Bible and due to that "fact" they murder people under the guise of Christian law (extinct law, BTW).

What makes you think that's their only education?

Whats makes you think they were educated properly?

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#576085 Aug 21, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, Mangler Jr.
You asked, "Will any of you Humanists not argue this?"
What I said was, "Why would I argue with him about how he feels?"
I'm pretty sure he knows how he feels better than I do.
Perhaps you meant to ask why nobody chastised him. That's very different from arguing with him, Og.
I would have accepted chastisement from friends. I was angry, hurt and lashing out. I would never kill anyone but I did wish harm on a few individuals here. Now that I have calmed down, there is only one person here whose demise I would not be grieved over. In fact I would rejoice in it... but I would not lift a finger to cause it... nor prevent it.

Sorry, that is honestly how I feel. Anyone who has never felt that way IMHO is a liar or a 'saint'. Have only met one person here who I consider to be 'saintly' and he doesn't post here any more.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#576086 Aug 21, 2013

The people who killed witches in the name of your god apparently thought that it applied to them.
RiversideHick wrote:
Yes, they were ignorant.
Of course they were. Ignorant people read your bible and believe it, and the more ignorant they are, the more literally they believe it.
Where's all the "progress"?
You're not still burning witches, are you?
RiversideHick wrote:
Ezekiel speaks of a new covenant that was to come (and has come now in Jesus).
We have a better covenant than that now.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#576087 Aug 21, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. The only thing that ended those days was the Enlightenment. We've progressed from there.
The Enlightenment began the abandonment of religion and monarchies.
Without it we would all be serfs to the King and slaves to the Church.

Goodbye and good riddance to both.

Fennario

#576088 Aug 21, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
I have never written, here on Topix, that "God is perfect".
THAT was the conversation. That doesn't mean I don't think that, that only means I haven't written it.
Why tell me? Do you think I said otherwise.

I notice that you continue to dodge the question even after it was asked twice, so I'll answer for you: your god is horribly flawed. These are a few of its faults:

1. Angry
2. Jealous
3. Judgmental
4. Vengeful
5. Vindictive
6. Petty
7. Manipulative
8. Petulant
9. Violent
10. Sadistic
11. Insecure
12. Capricious
13. Murderous
14. Undependable
15. Filicidal
16. Genocidal
17. Needy
18. Narcissistic
19. Intolerant
20. Megalomaniacal
21. Pestilential
22. Panty sniffing
23. Misogynistic
24. Atheophobic
25. Homophobic
26. Infanticidal
27. Unjust
28. Unforgiving

“"None shall pass"”

There

#576089 Aug 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
That's terrible that they even consider this a viable option.
With that in mind a man may merely pick and choose to rape his choice of wife.
That is in the Bible too. After attacking your neighboring community, kill the men and elderly, steal the cattle and property, sell the children into slavery, rape the women and if you want to keep one for a wife then force her to marry you.

Praise the love of God!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#576090 Aug 21, 2013
<quoted text>
You did just fine with stones, swords, stakes and fire. You'd use your bare hands if you had nothing else.
Besides, Og, science gives you knowledge, not weapons, and not wisdom.
What would I do just fine on with stones, swords, stakes and fire or my bare hands? What are you implying?

Oh really? Tell me about a weapon that science did not create.

I'm awesome.

“Spotting sheep killers~”

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

#576091 Aug 21, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Don't be afraid of those who want to kill you. They can only kill the body. They cannot touch your soul. Fear only God who can destroy both soul and body in hell. Not even a sparrow worth only half a penny can fall to the ground without your Father knowing it. And the very hairs on your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid you are more valuable to him than a whole flock of sparrows.
Love this post, so very true. God Bless You!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#576092 Aug 21, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> Actually it's Islamic and derived from ancient Islamic laws.
Yes, the cases cited are Islamic countries and it is Sharia Law.

Note that Sharia Law is based on the Twarat AKA Torah AKA Old Testament.

In other words those Muslims are doing exactly what the Bible says to do.

The Jews were forced to drop that crap in 70AD and the Christians followed suit claiming Jesus told them to abandon the OT laws.
However, they will use the OT Laws against anyone they don't like... gays and non-chritians for example.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#576093 Aug 21, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"In the Beginning, God poofed the Heavens ant the Earth."
Really? And then he created Adam and Steve.

ROFL!

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#576094 Aug 21, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists would like to think that the 1st Amendment means religion is illegal in a public setting, but they are wrong. The 1st Amendment is there to protect the religous, not the irreligious.
"The American separation of church and state rests upon respect for the church; the separation, on indifference and hatred of the church, and of religion itselfÂ…. The constitution did not create a nation, nor its religion and institutions. It found them already existing, and was framed for the purpose of protecting them under a republican form of government, in a rule of the people, by the people, and for the people."
Ok...

I, uh, didn't make the above claim. I simply wrote that your constitution prohibits more than simply gov't making laws on religion. For ex., your schools cannot have state produced mandatory religious prayers., etc.

You should be proud of your wall of separation for two reasons:

1. it protects non-violent, non-human rights damaging religious freedom (therefore Scientology should be investigated)

2. it protects your state from adopting a religion and the terrible consequences that can arise, but don't always, from that

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#576095 Aug 21, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have accepted chastisement from friends. I was angry, hurt and lashing out. I would never kill anyone but I did wish harm on a few individuals here. Now that I have calmed down, there is only one person here whose demise I would not be grieved over. In fact I would rejoice in it... but I would not lift a finger to cause it... nor prevent it.
Sorry, that is honestly how I feel. Anyone who has never felt that way IMHO is a liar or a 'saint'. Have only met one person here who I consider to be 'saintly' and he doesn't post here any more.
Silly Rabbit. I want to know how you would know if anyone on here died or how would we know you died?

There are a few seriously imbecile idiots on here that think Counter_Strike is dead because they read it on the internet somewhere.

The unbelievers on this billboard are really some of the most unintelligent people that must exist. Not only are there phony atheists on the billboard, but most real atheists I know would cringe at the lack of basic intelligence from most of you on here...iyai!!

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#576096 Aug 21, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I wish you wouldn't of told me that..........
;o)
Hey rider; Have yourself a good day.

Fennario

#576097 Aug 21, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
MY Christianity does not burn witches, nor does it "stone, burn, stretch or impale" you when we can.
When did your church ever voluntarily refrain from doing that? When in the history of mankind has your church ever had the power to murder heretics, yet chose not to exercise that option?

When has the church ever said, yes, we can kill people, but we won't do that because it would be wrong? Never, to my knowledge. It's only the rational, compassionate ethics of humanism that separates you from that.

There is zero reason to believe that if witch burning was legalized again tonight that you wouldn't be able to hear their screams or smell their flesh burning again by morning.

Fennario

#576098 Aug 21, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
My Christianity cares for you and cares about you.
Your bible says that unbelievers like me are corrupt, vile, abominable, godless vessels in the service of evil, not one of which does any good, and fit to be burned alive forever as the moral equivalent of murderers and whoremongers.

You can keep that kind of caring.

And the Christian church teaches as many people as will listen to think the same, which has led to much pain and suffering over the centuries.

Do you think that you are any better? You have recently called me immoral and a bigot. And for what? For objecting to the church that characterizes me that way? Do you have any better reason for using that language so indiscriminately?
RiversideHick wrote:
You're pissed off at me for something I haven't done
My feelings about you are based only on what you have done personally. We were getting alone just fine until you decided to make it personal again. You know me well enough by now to know that's not acceptable.

Some stable somewhere

#576099 Aug 21, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, but I don't see that as "Christianity" 200+ years ago. I see that as ugly, hate-filled people that will do whatever they can to inflict pain and death on other people.
Just like I don't say "atheism killed" blah, blah, blah under Stalin. That was also hate-filled people that used their government and their non-religion as an excuse to 'legally' kill people.
It was Christianity of 200+ years ago. There's no denying that burning witches and members of other Christian religions was a normal part of Christian life then. Well, 400 years ago, anyways. In Oxford, I've stood on the spot where several hundred years ago the Catholics burned Protestants. One hundred years later, the Protestants dragged Catholics out of their pulpits to the very same area to be burned to death. Both were acting in "God's will" according to their religion and belief systems.

Stalin was an atheist, but he didn't kill for atheism. He killed to establish ultimate power. He deified himself through the Church - to this day the Russian Orthodox Church, in Russia, has portraits of Stalin hanging. You can hardly call that atheism - he wasn't motivated by atheism to do the horrible things he did. He was motivated by "I want absolute power, I recognize how religion creates that, and I'm going to make use of these techniques."

Some stable somewhere

#576100 Aug 21, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh I wish you wouldn't of told me that..........
;o)
hee, hee, hee

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#576101 Aug 21, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. Do you believe that miracles happen? If so, how do you think they happen?
I can't answer that. And honestly, I'm not gonna go google some canned answer for you.

I've knowingly only had two miracles happen to me and I can't explain how they happened, I just know that they did.

I also can't explain how a spacesuit works, I just know that it does.

I have open and admitted faith in things.
Let me back up - you don't believe magic happens; it is fake. Therefore, in your lexicon, calling miracles "magic" is demeaning.
Correct.

And I think most atheists will admit that magic is fake also, which is why they call miracles magic.
Lots of medical systems are built on "sorcery," "witchcraft," "magic," the "evil eye," "spirits," and so on. All over the world. Do you believe they are all pretend?
Well, that's a tough one. I hadn't contemplated that before.

I got a massage from a guru (or something) about 6 months ago. She tried pulling out her magic 'card' to help my back feel better. It didn't do anything, a new bed did.
If so, what makes your miracles more real than their sorcery and so on?
Nothing. I'd have to take that case by case to get a better answer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min kent 646,703
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min River Tam 48,942
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 20 min WasteWater 2,081
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 1 hr sno333 2
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 1 hr USA-1 38,758
How to solve racism (and sexism) once and for all 2 hr Hey U 5
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 2 hr Hey U 19
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr VIKING 971,730
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr Just Think 105,632
More from around the web