Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#574845 Aug 19, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Whenever trouble comes your way, let it be a opportunity for joy. For when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed you will be strong character and ready for anything.
Continued:

If you need wisdom-if you want to know what God wants you to do-ask him and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking. But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. They can't make up their minds. They waver back and forth in everything they do.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#574846 Aug 19, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
You are correct. That the Earth was a sphere was known long before Genesis was written. The size (and shape) of the Earth was measured to within 20% by Archimedes. In the 3rd century BC, Eratosthenes measured it to within 1%.
Of course, that doesn't mean that the Chosen People knew it. It is quite clear that the Old Testament writers thought that the earth was flat, not a globe.

Location hidden

#574848 Aug 19, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text> Continued:
If you need wisdom-if you want to know what God wants you to do-ask him and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking. But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. They can't make up their minds. They waver back and forth in everything they do.
Continued:

Christians who are poor should be glad, for God has honored them. And those who are rich should be glad, for God has humbled them. They will fade away like a flower in the field. The hot sun rises and dries up the grass; the flowers withers and it beauty fades away. So also wealthy people will fade away with all of their achievements.

Fennario

#574849 Aug 19, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
And yet you speak without even a twinge of doubt on behalf of your god
[QUOTE who="Skombolis"|Yeah , its called faith dummy![/QUOTE]

You seem proud of that.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Of course, believing that you speak for a god is a huge part of the problem with your religion.

Fennario

#574850 Aug 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Food for thought? ;)
Did I miss something in the interpretation or did you reinterpret to suit yourself?
Matthew 6:6
And when you pray, you shall not be as the
hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.
Truly I say to you, They have their reward. But you, when you pray, enter into your closet, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father which is in secret; and your Father which sees in secret shall reward you openly.
But when you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
?? When was the last time you prayed in your closet??
Where are the biblical commands to construct churches, when directed to pray privately?
Skombolis, like so many other Christians, picks the verses he likes and offers them as proof of how bible must be understood. When shown contradictory passages, he tries to invalidate them.

He can do that because he has faith, which he thinks justifies his dogmatic certitude:

It aint necessarily so wrote: "And yet you speak without even a twinge of doubt on behalf of your god"

Skombolis wrote: "Yeah , its called faith dummy!"

See, dummy?

Location hidden

#574852 Aug 19, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Continued:
Christians who are poor should be glad, for God has honored them. And those who are rich should be glad, for God has humbled them. They will fade away like a flower in the field. The hot sun rises and dries up the grass; the flowers withers and it beauty fades away. So also wealthy people will fade away with all of their achievements.
Continued:

God blesses the people who patiently endure testing. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. And remember no one who want to do wrong should ever say God is tempting me. God is never tempted to do wrong and he never tempts anyone else either. Temptation comes from the lure of our own evil desires. These evil desires lead to evil actions and evil action lead to death. Do don't be misled.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#574853 Aug 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It sounds like RiversideHick isn't actually trying to understand the world, but forcefit disparate phenomena into meaning systems within his personal life.
I'm not sure why anyone would need to do that. That suggests an inability to comprehend difference and the false presumption that "all people are trying to be like me, but failing."
.. cognitive dissonance, baby. If something doesn't fit into one's established paradigm, it must be rejected ..

.. many posters on this thread are convinced you're not really a scientist but instead an atheist wacko so your message becomes unreliable and your audience contemptible. Instead of accepting your evidence, they make mental adjustments so their relationship with 'normal science' and 'normal language interpretation' can remain intact ..

.. we had a similar situation with emergent consciousness. Your paradigm of neuropsychology didn't fit my paradigm hence we rejected each other's evidence. William James, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Kuhn and Leon Festinger can add volumes to the psychological quandary. Most misconceptions on this thread coalesce into a script attune with an individual's bias ..

.. regardless of our brief tiffs, I know you still want to have sex with me. Did Tide feed and water you while I was gone ??..

With Established Harem

#574855 Aug 19, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>yeah look @ the screen see my middle finger?
.. what's your ring size? I want to send you a little gift ..

Location hidden

#574857 Aug 19, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text> Continued:
God blesses the people who patiently endure testing. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. And remember no one who want to do wrong should ever say God is tempting me. God is never tempted to do wrong and he never tempts anyone else either. Temptation comes from the lure of our own evil desires. These evil desires lead to evil actions and evil action lead to death. Do don't be misled.
Continued:

Whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God above, who created all heaven's lights. Unlike them he never changes or casts shifting shadows. In his goodness he chose to make us his own children by giving us his true word. And we out of all creation became his choice possession.

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#574859 Aug 19, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Wow. Only us atheists on.
What if...what if the Christians never came back?
Would we have to argue with the ghosts of their old posts?
Remember when you said this, Mr. Xtian? Ha! I've had months to think about it, and this is my answer...
Mayhap this room would actually contain discussion, with two equally valid points being heard.

Fennario

#574860 Aug 19, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
when I first gave you this answer you agreed it can be interpreted that way but thought i needed to provide a more complete answer.
That is why your answer was incorrect. The bible gives conflicting opinions on the matter.
Skombolis wrote:
Now you are back to challenging the answer all together and claiming i am picking and choosing?
I've never said otherwise. I am challenging your assertion that your answer was correct. It was not. None of your answers were correct.
Skombolis wrote:
Understanding that the OT is not what we are under or that some verses apply to believers and other verses are talking about unbelievers in not picking and choosing.
Sure it is. Another Christian might go the other route and claim that the scriptures you are trying to invalidate are the ones in play, and that you are misinterpreting the others. You seem to think that you are correct because you say so - that certitude that you justify by faith.

Incidentally, faith in the opposite position rests on an equal foundation of pure wishing, and is equally invalid. Faith is not a path to knowledge. It is a path to self-deification.
Skombolis wrote:
It is just basic, correct application.
There it is again. You seem to think that you are the god, or his press secretary. Your arrogance is stunning.
Skombolis wrote:
All verses in the NT written about believers apply to me. I don't know how to make it simpler than that ex-Christian.
Except the ones that apply only to the pharisees, such as the order to not pray publicly, right?

With Established Harem

#574861 Aug 19, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>???
You're already a fool.
LOL.
me fooling somebody about being a Christian or a Jesus Follower---would mean I give a crap that you, or anyone else, do not believe I'm a Christian or Jesus Follower.
~~~grin~~~. LOL.
You're a Nobody. An insignificant wanna be atheist insecure unintelligent idiot. You not believing me is No loss whatsover.
1 Spirit, Son, God

.. your channeling ability is impressive. Carrion ..

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#574864 Aug 19, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
This is a non sequitur, perhaps an argument from ignorance.
Morality is subjective. There's no getting around that. That doesn't mean that one system of morality can't be objectively superior to another.
The reason is that morality isn't completely subjective. Any time there is a shared value, it's possible to determine which system better serves that value.
Subjectively speaking, yes.

What is better for you might be worse for someone else.
Secular Humanism is rationally derived.
From an opinionated subjectivity, sure.
If you don't think that makes it better, we have a fundamental difference in values.
The Bible is a collection of often contradictory moral pronouncements of an imaginary dictator. I cannot think of a lesser system.
A dictator?! O_o

Haha
Do you think you should kill someone if you think they are a witch?
No.
The Bible tells you that you should.
No it doesn't.

It doesn't tell *me* that.
Do you obey your imaginary dictator or do you follow superior reasoning?
I have no imaginary dictator so I can't answer that.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#574865 Aug 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>Had breakfast yet?

I knew you would, and this one of hers, if you dare, but I give you 15 seconds or less immediately after Adam n Eve!

Marriage

http://m.youtube.com/watch ...
JuicyLullz wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome.
And wrong.

A logical person couldn't make it past 30 seconds of her lies.

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#574866 Aug 19, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Like a rabid dog is actually a loving pet.
Just so!

"For sale: Old Yeller. once FANTASTIC PET. once SO LOVING AND KIND
Must sell, cheap!"

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#574867 Aug 19, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No.
It's a measured response. It's calculated.
What's the best way to make this situation seem normal for everybody involved? What's the best way to end this situation without further strife?
I don't always lie to benefit me but I'm not above that.
:-)
That seems like the doctrine of humanism.

Location hidden

#574868 Aug 19, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>
I ain't sure, But you know I got the cure fer 'em if they do!
Here is a good private laugh. You are as bad as me lol. Burn it.lol
When I first seen that tarp first thing that came out of my mouth was now what the sam hell are they up too now. lol. Invasion of my space. And to the fire barrel it went bye bye quick. No reply require to this just a good laugh on lil whispers.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#574869 Aug 19, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh golly, I tremble in fear of your wrath!
Spare me the BS.
If violence is how you settle arguments, you bore me. And shame your own faith.
And since yov've volunteered to enter the fray, on dr stinkys behalf, this is for you! Enjoy!
Halt die Klappe, du wirst nie der Mann deiner Mutter ist sein
R u happy now?
;)
'twas a joke, duder.

Bruce Banner says that just before become the Hulk, "you wouldn't like me when I'm angry"....

Chill.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#574870 Aug 19, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Like comparing papermache to wood.
No kidding. What could be funnier than the protest:

"There's no way the Egyptians could have cut so many limestone blocks so quickly. I mean, granite is so hard it takes forever just to cut one block, and the Egyptians only had a God commanding their 10000 man strong labor force to do so."

I mean, seriously, there's no end of stupid by the deniers of archaeology. Aliens? What could be stupider and more insulting to all humanity?

It's not like the Egyptians quarried one block at a time, then moved that very special block down the Nile and had a team of 6 waiting. "oh, gosh, guys, our block came in. Let's give our best!"

"We sure will Frank. That team of 4 doing the quarrying for us really works hard. I'm sure we can finish in 500 years with this many laborers. Just in time for Moses' quintecentenial!"

"Who's Moses?"

"Oh, my Jewish slave had a child."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#574871 Aug 19, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Mayhap this room would actually contain discussion, with two equally valid points being heard.
Ever try debating someone rational? You end up agreeing.

:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Hidingfromyou 852,993
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min MUQ2 272,017
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 11 min MUQ2 620
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 15 min MUQ2 40,678
Why Do So Many Men Abuse Women? (Oct '10) 52 min masochistsuffer 2,256
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 55 min Halle Berry Sister 2,613
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 57 min truth 100,597
The Christian Atheist debate 1 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 726
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr truth 595,631
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr Carpet Monkey 444,016
More from around the web