Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#574150 Aug 18, 2013

[1] You believe in the truth of a book that describes a world where a flood can cover the whole earth and leave no trace.

[2] That's the world where man was made from mud and woman was grown from his rib like an off-cut from a plant?

[3] The world where a snake and donkey talked, where giants lived in the land, where dragons, unicorns and cockatrices exist and where people live to be over 900 years old?

[4] The world where a woman was turned into a pillar of salt, where a pillar of fire led people by night, where the sun stopped moving across the sky or could even back up, where an axe head can float on water, where a star could point down to a specific home, where people could instantly speak in foreign languages and where someone's shadow or handkerchief could heal you and where you can genetically alter sheep by floating slivers of tree bark in water?

[5] The world where a man could walk on water, turn water into wine, calm a stormy sea, be swallowed by a big fish and live to tell about it?

[6] The world that is full of demons that could create chaos on earth as well as make people sick?

[7] The world where you find idol worship and where human and animal sacrifices pleased God. It is a world where God lives in the sky and people who die go down to the dark recesses of the earth?

[8] The world that is full of visions, inspired dreams, prophetic utterances, miracle workers, magicians, diviners, etc. Man is not in control of his life. Evil spirits may possess him and Satan may inspire him with evil thoughts?

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#574152 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
There's not a chance anyone knew about them until submarine technology. You're projecting your knowledge onto obscure readings in your mythology book - you're looking for and creating awe.
If the Bible really possessed this knowledge, why didn't you Christians just tell the rest of us deep ocean vents harboring H2S breathing and heat tolerant bacteria, heat tolerant shrimp feeding on them, and mollusks feeding on the shrimp existed?
The thing is the Bible never predicts anything with any accuracy. It does not describe knowledge from our time. If it did you would be able to tell us what new discoveries the human race will be making in the future.
Don't worry - no Christian has every done this using the Bible. But plenty have anachronistically projected their modern experiences onto the ancient passages it contains.
Good Morn/Evening Hiding...Says it right here,

"In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, on the seventeenth day of the second month--on that day all the springs of the great deep burst forth..." Genesis 7:11

Please explain how they knew about this prior to the 1977 discovery. Thanks.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#574154 Aug 18, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Lil Whispers thinks I am infected with an evil demon because I regularly criticize the Christian church, an opinion that church teaches its adherents to hold and repeat.
I was told I had demons once. Just because I took this fundie cow to task, for leaving her kids alone with a known pedophile.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#574155 Aug 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Some Jews still do the sacrifice of animals , and want the temple mount rebuilt so they can do this. It wouldn't surprise me if they would do ritual murder even today.
Please don't start on the Blood Libel myth.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#574156 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not super familiar with headhunting elsewhere. It's quite possible elsewhere. Mayan Catholics still sacrifice chickens to God.
I was being sarcastic, because all Xtians are headhunters. They want converts.
:D

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#574158 Aug 18, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
The most extreme examples we have of the failures of faith based thinking are the tragic deaths of children. The less fatal ones are the silly choices faith based thinkers make regarding issues of schooling.
That's true. Suffer the little children...
Imhotep

United States

#574160 Aug 18, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Cannibal 1: "I hate my mother-in-law's guts.
Cannibal 2: "Hand them over. I'll eat them.
Saint Peter is watching the gates of Heaven, but he really has to go to the bathroom.

He asks Jesus to watch the gates for a few minutes, and Jesus agrees.

As Jesus is standing there, he sees an old man leading a donkey up from Earth to Heaven.

He notices the old man has carpenter's tools with him. When the old man gets to the gates, Jesus asks him to describe his life and explain why he feels he should be admitted into Heaven.

The man explains, "In English, my name would be Joseph, but I didn't live in America or England.

i lived a modest life, making things out of wood. I'm not remembered very well by most people, but almost everyone has heard of my son.

I call him my son, but I was more of a Dad to him -- he really didn't come into this world in the usual way.

I sent my son out to be among the people of the World.

He was ridiculed by many, and was even known to associate himself with some pretty unsavory characters, although he himself tried to be honest and perfect. My single biggest reason for trying to get into Heaven is to be re-united with my son."

Jesus is awe-struck by the man's story. He looks into the old man's eyes and asks, "Father?"

The old man's face brightens; he looks at Jesus, and asks, "Pinocchio?"

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#574161 Aug 18, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
Wha is interesting about the Binding of Isaac is that Abraham disobeyed from the begining. Yeah, I read it first this time.
God told Abraham to take his "first born son" to the mountain for a sacrifice. Abraham took Isaac.
However, Ishmael was Abraham's "first born son".
Thanks for making me reread the story. Why did Abraham think he could fool God by switching children ? Maybe Abraham was really stupid ? Maybe there is something in the story everyone is missing. If it bothers me I will try to figure it out. At the moment it seems like just another garbled Jewish 'history'.
<quoted text>
I believe the same story is told in the Quran, with Ishmael as the nearly sacrificed son. He was the father of the Arabs, after all.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#574162 Aug 18, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
I decided to ignore the antisemitic comment.
I'm antisemitic? NEVER!

I was referring to this myth, which has already got too many people killed.
http://www.adl.org/anti-semitism/united-state...
Imhotep

United States

#574163 Aug 18, 2013
<quoted text>
Sounds pretty good.
Living abroad is really an eye opener, isn't it? You don't see your native culture as well solely from within it as you do both from within and from the outside. Travel teaches some of that lesson, but you don't get as full a perspective.
Pot is so socially acceptable here that I find it in the most unexpected places. Three couples had dinner last night. Charles is my bridge partner and has his Ph.D in international business, which he taught at university level. Johnny is a Ph.D psychologist and a former university dean. They're both in their mid to late sixties. After the restaurant, we went back to one of the homes and Johnny pulled out some pot from his garden.
Last week, a sixty-something retired math professor friend and I were walking to lunch when he pulled out a pipe and began hitting it in broad daylight.
I still find that kind of freedom surprising. Nobody I knew grew it or smoked it on the streets in the States.
For smoking in public I use a clever ploy

Take about 50% of the tobacco out of any regular cigarette and load with pot.

Light and walk thru a crowd leaving dangling cig on mouth.

If anyone smells. They ignore anyone with a cigarette openly dangling in their mouth! We walked all over Disney smoking pot no one ever knew!

Holland is color blind.
This may be the freest country on the planet. Doc

Top of the morning to you doc I always missed our conversations.

We are struggling w/French, German, Dutch.
Spanish, I know very well.

Enormous culture shock!
Wife wants to make permanent.
Anything you can share?
You are familiar with this I'm sure

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#574164 Aug 18, 2013
The Pauline Corpus I

The New Testament is a hodgepodge of 27 texts tossed together in a canon. Most of the texts are psyeudographs or anonymous documents later falsely ascribed to someone of significance in the early Christian tradition. But then there are the letters of Paul -- the Pauline corpus. Despite the common misconception among non-believers, many of these texts are genuine, with about half of the 13 epistles bearing Paul's brand in the canon being from his hand: 1 Thessalonians, Philippians, Philemon, 1 & 2 Corinthians, Galatians, and Romans.

I find these seven authentic letters fascinating for a number of reasons. First, they are the only sure writings of the person credited with drafting them in the NT (though they suffer from interpolations and concatenations). Second, they are the earliest extant Christian documents, dating to the 50's, about two decades after the supposed ministry of Jesus. And finally, being genuine writings written to people who were living the subject matter of the letters, such as strife in the church in Corinth and harassment of Christians in Thessalonica, they could not pass on wild, fanciful stories, at least not about events in the churches to which they were written.

Paul could claim he met Jesus in Heaven, he could recite the kerygma at 1 Corinthians 15 about the resurrection of Jesus, but he could not write of miracles in the church in Corinth, other than the sort of "miracles" that occur in frenetic congregations today. That is, he might claim Jesus, in absentia, helped brother Alexandros find his missing chariot keys, but he could not claim Jesus appeared as an apparition and walked on the baptismal water before the Corinthian congregation. His letters had to be largely truthful when dealing with then-contemporary events among believers in the various churches to which he wrote.

And so Paul’s letters are usually about rather mundane things. For example, in Galatians, he writes of meeting with Peter in Antioch and getting into a dispute with him over Peter following the law and not eating with the unclean Christians. Paul records no miracles at the hands of Peter in Antioch. Unlike the Book of Acts, Paul mentions no raising of the dead, as Acts does with Tabitha. Neither does Paul record Peter rebuking any magi who want to buy the secret to his miraculous powers, such as Acts does, or Peter engaging in a magical duel to the death with any magi, such as the apocryphal Acts of Peter does. Instead, Paul simply records getting into a theological squabble with Peter over the need to follow Jewish law, a squabble Paul likely lost, since his letter is silent on the outcome.

While the Antioch incident is useful for demonstrating that the first church, the Jerusalem church, was very much a Jewish congregation in tint and tenor, it also is useful in piercing the veil of Christian mythos surrounding Peter and the gospel and apocryphal narratives in general, all of which were written a considerable temporal distance from the putative events they memorialize. With the luxury of that distance, these subsequent writers could mix facts and fanciful fiction with nary an objection from anyone.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#574166 Aug 18, 2013
The Pauline Corpus II

On most sweltering summer nights, somewhere in America, charismatic Christians can be found gathered in some revival tent swaying and swinging to the rhythm of rockabilly gospel tunes, praying, sweating, and waiting for the Holy Ghost to grip their spirits, whereupon, in frenzy, they begin dancing in the spirit and uttering the unintelligible sounds of speaking in tongues. Doubtless most of these frenetic religious practitioners do not realize their fluid vocalizations represent glossolalia, syllabic sounds common to their particular native language but strung together in a sequence devoid of any natural meaning.

Perhaps these ecstatic worshipers envision themselves in the upper room of Act 2, with Peter and the Twelve. There, according to that fanciful text,“Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where [the Jerusalem assembly] were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. And all of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.[And] God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven ... heard their own language being spoken."
Yet what is described in Acts 2 is not the glossolalia of the modern-day charismatic Christian or even the Corinthian Christians in Paul’s text but xenoglossia; that is, the speaking of an actual language one has not learned through any natural means.

While what modern practitioners experience is far from the fanciful account of the events in Acts 2, it is exactly what Paul seems to describe in 1 Corinthians 14:“For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.”

Roughly 50 years after Paul’s letter to the Corinthians, Acts’ author, who ostensibly was Luke, adds a magical gloss to the Jerusalem assembly’s gathering on the day of Pentecost and portrays the event as one involving xenoglossia and special effects galore. But Paul’s earlier letter to the church in Corinth, constrained by an audience with firsthand knowledge of events at that church, lets the discerning NT reader in on the obvious: The first generation of Christians, even those considered apostles, were ordinary folks practicing the same dubious “gifts of the spirit” modern charismatic Christians practice. Unlike the fanciful account in Acts, in Paul’s 1st letter to the Corinthians, there are no rushing winds, no tongues of fire, no foreigners understanding the utterances in their own native languages, just utterances that often no one in the church bothers to pretend to understand, similar to any given hot August night under a Pentecostal big top in Ohio, Missouri, or Tennessee today.
Imhotep

United States

#574170 Aug 18, 2013
[4] The world where a woman was turned into a pillar of salt, where a pillar of fire led people by night, where the sun stopped moving across the sky or could even back up, where an axe head can float on water, where a star could point down to a specific home, where people could instantly speak in foreign languages and where someone's shadow or handkerchief could heal you and where you can genetically alter sheep by floating slivers of tree bark in water?
[5] The world where a man could walk on water, turn water into wine, calm a stormy sea, be swallowed by a big fish and live to tell about it?
[6] The world that is full of demons that could create chaos on earth as well as make people sick?
[7] The world where you find idol worship and where human and animal sacrifices pleased God. It is a world where God lives in the sky and people who die go down to the dark recesses of the earth?
[8] The world that is full of visions, inspired dreams, prophetic utterances, miracle workers, magicians, diviners, etc. Man is not in control of his life. Evil spirits may possess him and Satan may inspire him with evil thoughts?
Thank you so much I really appreciate this! ;)

I had a reasoned, provocative factual replying to almost any post.

I type so poorly with my fat old fingers that Siri has become my most useful tool

If you Google "killing chilren religion" you should find 100's of links.

Whenever I find a good article that more or less suggests my own opinion I generally copy paste this article and save it along with the URL

As you have noticed I use standard replies -why type the same sentiment over and over?

You have an eloquent way of speaking doc and I've always admired that
I, on the other hand am a common peasant into this category! ;)
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#574171 Aug 18, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul prophesied Topix !
(sarcasm)
Well, no one can deny Topix is a sure sign the end in nigh.

Uh oh, Jesus is coming. Look busy.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#574173 Aug 18, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Please don't start on the Blood Libel myth.

Id never even heard of that before.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#574174 Aug 18, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Not you, Ahura's comment about not being surprised if Jews started committing ritual murders again.
Like saying "I wouldn't be surprised if blacks start raping white women again".

No it isn't, and the ones I'm talking about are sacrificing lambs.
They are the Orthodox Zionist Jew fundies or as bad as YEC's here.
They have an agenda , and it wouldn't surprise me if they did.

But it's more like saying..

"I wouldn't be surprised if black Crips & Bloods start raping white women again"
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#574176 Aug 18, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe "The End" will come before "My End".
I think that is a safe bet.
I think so too.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#574177 Aug 18, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =5WwY-8sQK18XX
Id never even heard of that before.
I'm with u on this one, Aura!

The Jews and the Muslims sacrifice so many animals to God. I think this is more of a cultural thing than a religious one. That's why Christians don't do it, but does killing lots of turkeys on thanks giving and Christmas count as sacrifice? I'm sure that's also a ritual.

There r some sects in India that also sacrifice animals, they r retards!!! Scum of the earth!!
Imhotep

United States

#574178 Aug 18, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
I was told I had demons once. Just because I took this fundie cow to task, for leaving her kids alone with a known pedophile.
Ich hoffe, Sie genießen einen sehr schönen Gebäck mit Kaffee.:)

In my humble opinion Rosa...

Threats of hell are hilarious
This is all these people have
Too bad for them there is no such thing as hell or heaven
Plus these threats, meant to inspire fear, promote only laughter and ridicule.

Theists who believe in a divinely created Earth, and in the literal truth of the alleged 'holy book' aka the Bible containing 'hearsay' stories, written by primitive men, must reinterpret all new things discovered in light of the same source material.

The Secular humanist will read this and then make a judgment if it warrants merit or outright rejection.

We will not seek an apologist - we will use our intellect to determine the validity of the content.

In short we will question anything and everything.

The literal theist, on the other hand, is forced to say ...

"Either that's a lie, it's wrong, or God is testing my faith by giving Me yet more contradictory evidence that on the surface seems telling but really doesn't mean anything."

This dog will not hunt.

“Reason and faith are opposites, two mutually exclusive terms: there is no reconciliation or common ground. Faith is belief without, or in spite of, reason.”~George H. Smith
Imhotep

United States

#574179 Aug 18, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Killing an animal and then cooking and eating it! How bizzare!
"And they shall eat the flesh of the sacrifice on that night roasted..."
So, as long as society is flinging the Bible at us, and our politicians are quoting from it relentlessly, and Christians smugly and conspicuously carry the book with them everywhere, and Televangelists wave it dramatically, declaring it to be the "world's best-selling book for a reason,"
It may be the world's best seller, but not one in a thousand knows what's really in it.

Example:
One of the most conspicuous blind spots Christians display is regarding Jesus' "Sermon on the Mount."

The sermon begins in Matthew 5:3. Some of its better known "beatitudes" include: Verses 3 through 5 - "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth." Also Verses 7 through 9 - "Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God."

Ironic that a mere eight verses later, in the same "Sermon on the Mount" Jesus says this: "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:17-19)

And again, "For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?" (John 5:46-47)

There you have it. Jesus is unambiguously talking about Old Testament Law.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 42 min Bonho 71,306
How is it possible that God has always existed?? 2 hr Doctor REALITY 2
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 2 hr Doctor REALITY 64
Ifitdress.com reviews (Oct '12) 3 hr lac 16
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 hr Tellthetruth 447,350
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 4 hr Gene Ricker 483
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr Tellthetruth 994,986
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 hr FathrFlanagan Bug... 699,333