Why Should Jesus Love Me?
Imhotep

United States

#573941 Aug 17, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
wir haben Schanuze Voll des Deines Luegnern und deine kleine abcheunliche Mund( alte frau Votze)
du bis verueckte und kleine Schwanz+ Schwuchtel
geh to Hoelle,und nimmer komt hier zurueck
du meine kleine Scheisse?
hast du verstond?
or maybe I have to write you in Chinesse,or kwazi? little mamba jamba monkey around
Ich denke, dass Sie die Nachkommen eines erkrankten Hure sind.

Der beste Teil von dir lief deines Vaters Bein.

Ihr ganzes Leben ist ein dampfender Haufen Scheiße Pferd.

Holen Sie sich das Bild, das Sie verzögert ägyptischen Arschloch?

Dr stinky ist so Homosexuell, konnte sie auf einem Eis am Stiel sitzen und uns sagen, was Geschmack ist!

Lmao!

<Uncontrollable laughter>

;)

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#573942 Aug 17, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm the only one here who's met God.
BTW. Global warming is a lie !!!
I agree global warming is a whopper

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#573945 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
I'm sorry, but I find it silly that you'll eat fish but you won't eat fowl or beef.
That seems a little childish and kind of a waste of time.
Again, I'm sorry.
You're in timeout mister.

Location hidden

#573947 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
Which Christian church?
No talking in timeout!

Do you want to lose your sandbox privileges?

Location hidden

#573948 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
Of course we shouldn't call each other childish for our beliefs, I did just to mock you and try to make you see what you're doing.
That not very humanitarian of you.
I thought you wanted to increase happiness.
Since you scored so highly during pretend time, I will reinstate your sandbox privileges.

Location hidden

#573949 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
Religious faith means maintaining belief no matter what, regardless of the evidence.
Secular faith means trust, hope, confidence: a possibly wrong but still reasonable conclusion, and a willingness to move forward based on that conclusion.
<tussles RH's hair>

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#573950 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much so.
The last time I went to church, the dumb ass preacher was up there talking about tithing. Money, go figure. Anyway, when he got to the part where he said "God gets mad at you if you don't tithe", I just got up and walked out.
Freakin lunatic.
Religion is a good business - tax free.

Location hidden

#573951 Aug 17, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
That wasn't you who posted that, Tide.
It was a fellow by the name of Xdanox.
Wasn't that one of Brother Marine's socks?

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#573952 Aug 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I had to laugh at Riverside's statement about the pyramids.
It seems to be a popular opinion that, even with modern equipment, we are less able to build things now than in ancient times.
Really?
Can you come up with an engineering firm that could provide the logistics and equipment to duplicate the great pyramid(and it is not the largest one ever constructed in the world) in any time frame that is even close to the claim?
I worked granite blocks that only weighed about 20 tons, and it took days to cut them (1) cut with a silver wire(s)(what they(Egyptians) referred to as "the worm").
There were 3 motes which were used for this at the base of the pyramid. The feat would have been impossible, even with limestone, which is much softer and more easily cut. The tolerances of cut, and the accuracy of surface finish is beyond the ability of our best manufacturing capabilities today in granites, without several (time consuming) operations... so, NO, they could not have been produced with the technology they are said to have possessed at the time.

Location hidden

#573953 Aug 17, 2013
River Tam wrote:
XdanoX?
I want to talk to that MFr.
I replied to a post and he just up and left. Never heard from him again.
Wasn't xdanox a girl?

...talked about panties all the time.

Location hidden

#573954 Aug 17, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
They finally got the Stargate done!
Now we can expose false gods all across the galaxy!
That would be terrific if it were only true.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#573955 Aug 17, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Where does it say that? Here's the Bible passage:
"22 Some time later, God tested Abraham’s faith.“Abraham!” God called.
“Yes,” he replied.“Here I am.”
2 “Take your son, your only son—yes, Isaac, whom you love so much—and go to the land of Moriah. Go and sacrifice him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will show you.”
3 The next morning Abraham got up early. He saddled his donkey and took two of his servants with him, along with his son, Isaac. Then he chopped wood for a fire for a burnt offering and set out for the place God had told him about. 4 On the third day of their journey, Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. 5 “Stay here with the donkey,” Abraham told the servants.“The boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there, and then we will come right back.”
6 So Abraham placed the wood for the burnt offering on Isaac’s shoulders, while he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them walked on together, 7 Isaac turned to Abraham and said,“Father?”
“Yes, my son?” Abraham replied.
“We have the fire and the wood,” the boy said,“but where is the sheep for the burnt offering?”
8 “God will provide a sheep for the burnt offering, my son,” Abraham answered. And they both walked on together.
9 When they arrived at the place where God had told him to go, Abraham built an altar and arranged the wood on it. Then he tied his son, Isaac, and laid him on the altar on top of the wood. 10 And Abraham picked up the knife to kill his son as a sacrifice. 11 At that moment the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven,“Abraham! Abraham!”
“Yes,” Abraham replied.“Here I am!”
12 “Don’t lay a hand on the boy!” the angel said.“Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son.”
13 Then Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in a thicket. So he took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering in place of his son. 14 Abraham named the place Yahweh-Yireh (which means “the Lord will provide”). To this day, people still use that name as a proverb:“On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”"
I find this disturbing for multiple reasons:
1. God quite clearly values fear. He doesn't want love in the above example, he wants pathetic fathers who are so frightened of him, they're kill their own sons. That's pretty sick.
2. The passage sounds like a deity who has gross insecurity issues. He doesn't sound omnipotent, omniscient, etc. Since he needed to test Issac, he quite clearly didn't know the future or what Issac would do - not omniscient. Since he declares that he wants Issac's fear, God comes across as but one deity of many - probably one of the weaker ones, given his insecurities.
3. God had no issues with Abraham's rampant lying and planned murder. That's not the morality of a perfect, divine being.
So thanks for that passage. Very instructive, thoroughly disturbing.
Gday Hiding.

I looked up the text that forbade human sacrifice of your children, in the Laws of Moses.

Leviticus 18:21
Do not give any of your children to be sacrificed to Molek, for you must not profane the name of your God. I am the Lord.

Molek or Moloch was a god of the Canaanites, to whom they often sacrificed their babies. Not to be confused with the Aussie lizard.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Moloch
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10443b.htm
http://carm.org/christianity/miscellaneous-to...
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/10...
http://www.pantheon.org/articles/m/moloch.htm...

From reading this, plus the story of Abraham and Isaac, it seems the Jewish God didn't have such a problem with human sacrifice per se. He only had a problem with idolatry, if they were sacrificed to a rival pagan god.

Lovely.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#573956 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. So that he understands what evil is. I would also take him on a tour of Auschwitz for the same reason.
A mate of mine toured the museum that Auschwitz is now. He told me some really shocking stuff - like the big piles of children's shoes.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#573958 Aug 17, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not especially demonstrative of your good will toward all humankind.
:p
RH had just posted something very offensive, and he justified it by saying that Scar told him to do it.

So I was attempting to show RH that one should not do something just because somebody else told them to.

I wouldn't want RH to jump off a building.

Poison is a far better prescription.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#573962 Aug 17, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Please keep in mind, I don't believe in any of these stories.
Ok, so:
1. Your deity feels that it's ok to frighten men into honestly planning to sacrifice their own sons. And he doesn't mind that he made Abraham plan out murder, lie and forceably tie up his son, thereby doing violence to his son (and emotional trauma!).
2. Your deity feels that it can make everything right by "providing" Abraham with new children, when he's extremely old and likely unable to care for those newborns properly.
So children can be substituted freely. New children are payments for past crimes.
Oh, I'll remember these lessons when I refer to your group of religions as Abrahamic - no kidding! Hand in hand with repulsive deity.
If I was the kid, I'd spit on my cowardly father and his sadistic, evil deity, and never look back.
I wonder what welfare workers of today would make of such a case. Chances are that the kid would be in foster care. Maybe even his idiot father would end up in jail.

It's possible that Isaac suffered from PTSD later from this incident.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#573963 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think anyone else did.
The sheep were afraid of the wolf.
Or possibly just afraid of being talked about.
I spent the next few weeks explaining it to everyone, telling the same story over and over again.
I was an outcast.
And I was happy about that.
Bonza! It sounds like you're no muttonbrain, RR.

Location hidden

#573964 Aug 17, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
It should piss off more people.
Good post above - couldn't agree more. How do we then educate people before they get stuck with these parasites?
We need to put more emphasis on teaching the philosophy of science in public schools. I remember learning about the scientific method when I went to school, but there was little focus given to explaining the importance of it. We also need to make sure we teach everyone about logic. I learned through computer programming, but that wasn't a required course at the time.

Even if the fundies realized that teaching logic and the philosophy of science is in essence teaching rational skepticism, how could they openly oppose it without looking exactly like people who want to keep children ignorant? The attempt alone to put more focus on these subjects, and the subsequent opposition from YouKnowWho, would give us another example of how damaging faith is. So even if the attempt to improve education fails, the failure would make an excellent example to utilize later.

Skeptics are doing a lot right now just by socializing on the internet. This environment favors logically compelling arguments, while being a bad fit for the types of manipulation religion relies on to perpetuate. The shift in America towards more socialization on the internet is bad for religion. There's too much competition here, and the playing field is too fair. A type of natural selection is taking place.

Location hidden

#573965 Aug 17, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you seriously believe that it didn't???
hahaha....so dumb and sad for you.
since you don't have a true foundation, you most certainly aren't making a good faux-anthropologist. YOU'RE FIRED!;)
We don't "believe it didn't", we KNOW it didn't.
YOU operate in denial of factual evidence.

Location hidden

#573966 Aug 17, 2013
River Tam wrote:
From the guy who thought he get Scar to fall for the "I believe God doesn't exist" ruse.
I don't fault him for trying.
I don't fault him for failing.
I think I know what's going on here.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#573967 Aug 17, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>Oh I will live with it, for sure. You can write your opinions, and I write mine. How a Jesus Follower goes about guidelines is their business, not yours.
There are people in Islam or Hindu or other religions that believe in Jesus but can't have a bible because of fear of death to themselves and their family and their life experiences with Jesus each day is what keep them saved and a Jesus Follower, not the bible.
You are here just to judge. You are on this forum to cast your stinking rotten opinions onto Christians and can't see or smell the rot that is coming from under you. You ain't nothing but a busybody hag.
You seem to be a little testy Trifecta. Maybe I got a little close to the truth for ya.

Name-calling...is that part of your "Jesus Follower" handbook?

As long as you are judging the non-Christians...you open yourself up to be judged in return.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 43 min Thinking 92,418
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 667,636
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr Gabriel 979,330
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr bad bob 183,614
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr Rosa_Winkel 445,564
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr MUQ2 285,972
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 5 hr Joe Fortuna 2,024
More from around the web