Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#573634 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Human sacrifice is an abomination to God.
The Jesus! would disagree.
Neb Senu

Upper Darby, PA

#573636 Aug 17, 2013
Imhotep wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol!
That post of dr stink was funny!
Whew!
Dr stinks wheel spins but the hamsters been dead for years!
Ah, shyt, I forgot.
I just skim this thread.
It just goes so quickly.
I think it was a post to a poster named skombolis.
It's the first time I read a shrink's post w/o any insults attached to it.

Perhap there's hope for our infamous village idiot?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#573637 Aug 17, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
I forgot to mention that, thanks.
Otherwise Skom would claim I think using your ears means you're crazy.
You know how Skom is.
Yes, I do know. All those playground insults don't make him look too smart.
Imhotep

United States

#573638 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
If it were a choice, I would be an atheist. I didn't choose, it just happened.
PTL!

<pun intended ;)>

If this pleases you and brings you happiness - I say enjoy it to the fullest. ;)

"Ye shall know the truth, and the truth
shall make you mad."
~ALDOUS HUXLEY
Neb Senu

Upper Darby, PA

#573640 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Lift a rivet.
Lift a 4,500 lb stone.
Go.
LOL
Touche.

Location hidden

#573641 Aug 17, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Then what you are saying is that you can find scriptures that contradict Imhotep's citation about not praying publicly, and you think that your citations define appropriate public displays, while his don't apply to you.
I've seen that kind of thing once or twice before.
Any Christian who prefers the exact opposite doctrine is just as free and just as qualified by being spirit-filled to tell you that the scriptures you reject do apply, and that you are misinterpreting the ones you are giving priority to.
And who's to stop or correct either of you? Look at how you resolve your theological disputes. You just ignore one another, each considering himself the expert because the idea he has is conceived of as his god's idea revealed to him.
And that's how the same book can be used to support people as diverse as the Quakers and the Klan. Your bible doesn't actually tell you anything. You tell it.
Well said.

Location hidden

#573643 Aug 17, 2013
Neb Senu wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow!
dr Shrink made a friend.
And they will travel across the land in a gas filled balloon.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#573644 Aug 17, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh? Where does it say that? Here's the Bible passage:
"22 Some time later, God tested Abraham’s faith.“Abraham!” God called.
“Yes,” he replied.“Here I am.”
2 “Take your son, your only son—yes, Isaac, whom you love so much—and go to the land of Moriah. Go and sacrifice him as a burnt offering on one of the mountains, which I will show you.”
3 The next morning Abraham got up early. He saddled his donkey and took two of his servants with him, along with his son, Isaac. Then he chopped wood for a fire for a burnt offering and set out for the place God had told him about. 4 On the third day of their journey, Abraham looked up and saw the place in the distance. 5 “Stay here with the donkey,” Abraham told the servants.“The boy and I will travel a little farther. We will worship there, and then we will come right back.”
6 So Abraham placed the wood for the burnt offering on Isaac’s shoulders, while he himself carried the fire and the knife. As the two of them walked on together, 7 Isaac turned to Abraham and said,“Father?”
“Yes, my son?” Abraham replied.
“We have the fire and the wood,” the boy said,“but where is the sheep for the burnt offering?”
8 “God will provide a sheep for the burnt offering, my son,” Abraham answered. And they both walked on together.
9 When they arrived at the place where God had told him to go, Abraham built an altar and arranged the wood on it. Then he tied his son, Isaac, and laid him on the altar on top of the wood. 10 And Abraham picked up the knife to kill his son as a sacrifice. 11 At that moment the angel of the Lord called to him from heaven,“Abraham! Abraham!”
“Yes,” Abraham replied.“Here I am!”
12 “Don’t lay a hand on the boy!” the angel said.“Do not hurt him in any way, for now I know that you truly fear God. You have not withheld from me even your son, your only son.”
13 Then Abraham looked up and saw a ram caught by its horns in a thicket. So he took the ram and sacrificed it as a burnt offering in place of his son. 14 Abraham named the place Yahweh-Yireh (which means “the Lord will provide”). To this day, people still use that name as a proverb:“On the mountain of the Lord it will be provided.”"
I find this disturbing for multiple reasons:
1. God quite clearly values fear. He doesn't want love in the above example, he wants pathetic fathers who are so frightened of him, they're kill their own sons. That's pretty sick.
2. The passage sounds like a deity who has gross insecurity issues. He doesn't sound omnipotent, omniscient, etc. Since he needed to test Issac, he quite clearly didn't know the future or what Issac would do - not omniscient. Since he declares that he wants Issac's fear, God comes across as but one deity of many - probably one of the weaker ones, given his insecurities.
3. God had no issues with Abraham's rampant lying and planned murder. That's not the morality of a perfect, divine being.
So thanks for that passage. Very instructive, thoroughly disturbing.
God never wanted Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.

Instead a couple of thousand years later, God sacrificed His Son for all humanity including Abraham and his children.

Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90 when they had Isaac, which God provided to them.

Abraham's faith was severely tested, to the extreme. He passed.

And even now, we still call them "Abrahamic religions".
Imhotep

United States

#573645 Aug 17, 2013
Neb Senu wrote:
<quoted text>
That's fantastic.
One of these days I'm gonna say, "Ah, the heck with it"!
I'm gonna to cross the sea and head for the promised land.
Have you had a chance to visit Abydos during your stay in Egypt?
Yes, spent 10 days touring.
Egypt is really cool.
Valley of kings... Fabulous !

Likewise Italy and Greece

Don't miss the museums.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#573647 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
Very much so.
The last time I went to church, the dumb ass preacher was up there talking about tithing. Money, go figure. Anyway, when he got to the part where he said "God gets mad at you if you don't tithe", I just got up and walked out.
Freakin lunatic.
Good for you!
How many other people walked out?

Location hidden

#573648 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
What makes you think that there is a 'perfect deity'?
There is no perfect instruction manual, either.
The Garden of Eden is long gone, too.
God is not a man in the sky and Jesus isn't God.
OK, the last one my opinion, the other two are observeable facts.
<quoted text>
Thanks.

Some stable somewhere

#573650 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus wasn't a sacrifice. He was murdered by the Romans at the urging of the Jewish priesthood and royalty.
Sacrifice is not the only method of atonement.
Why do then people claim "for God sacrificed his only son..." or something like that.
Imhotep

United States

#573652 Aug 17, 2013
Neb Senu wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, shyt, I forgot.
I just skim this thread.
It just goes so quickly.
I think it was a post to a poster named skombolis.
It's the first time I read a shrink's post w/o any insults attached to it.
Perhap there's hope for our infamous village idiot?
When they get vile, I respond in kind!
These forums are only entertainment for me.

And my love of sarcasm and rapier wit fit perfectly with these people!

To me...'turning the other cheek' only gets you two black eyes instead of one.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#573654 Aug 17, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you!
How many other people walked out?
I don't think anyone else did.

The sheep were afraid of the wolf.

Or possibly just afraid of being talked about.

I spent the next few weeks explaining it to everyone, telling the same story over and over again.

I was an outcast.

And I was happy about that.

Some stable somewhere

#573655 Aug 17, 2013
RiversideHick wrote:
<quoted text>
God never wanted Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.
Instead a couple of thousand years later, God sacrificed His Son for all humanity including Abraham and his children.
Abraham was 100 and Sarah was 90 when they had Isaac, which God provided to them.
Abraham's faith was severely tested, to the extreme. He passed.
And even now, we still call them "Abrahamic religions".
Please keep in mind, I don't believe in any of these stories.

Ok, so:

1. Your deity feels that it's ok to frighten men into honestly planning to sacrifice their own sons. And he doesn't mind that he made Abraham plan out murder, lie and forceably tie up his son, thereby doing violence to his son (and emotional trauma!).

2. Your deity feels that it can make everything right by "providing" Abraham with new children, when he's extremely old and likely unable to care for those newborns properly.

So children can be substituted freely. New children are payments for past crimes.

Oh, I'll remember these lessons when I refer to your group of religions as Abrahamic - no kidding! Hand in hand with repulsive deity.

If I was the kid, I'd spit on my cowardly father and his sadistic, evil deity, and never look back.
Imhotep

United States

#573657 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. So that he understands what evil is. I would also take him on a tour of Auschwitz for the same reason.
Please also explain 'evil' itself and whom created it. Be fair, and honest.

I know you are sincere. ;) and admire your honesty.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#573658 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
You can believe anything you want. That doesn't make it true.
God will be the judge, not you.
?? well of course I can believe anything I want. That's the point of "Faith" right? iyai!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#573659 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is what I was gettting at.
It doesn't matter if they are Christian or not, they were lying and as a result people are dying. Lying is wrong and no one needs the Bible to teach them that.
I think that secularism teaches that lying for self worh is ok, or lying for profit, or self defense.

The Bible teaches us that it's always wrong and that it's immoral.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#573661 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the King of Canaan that told Abraham to sacrifice his son to the Canaanite deity Baal. God stopped him and told him to sacrifice a sheep instead.
Then why does it say this?

Then God said,“Take your son, your only son, whom you love—Isaac—and go to the region of Moriah. Sacrifice him there as a burnt offering on a mountain I will show you.”

Some stable somewhere

#573663 Aug 17, 2013
Lamchop wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, that is what I was gettting at.
It doesn't matter if they are Christian or not, they were lying and as a result people are dying. Lying is wrong and no one needs the Bible to teach them that.
Sorry to be a PITA, but how do we know that scientifically ignorant power seeking, sexist and xenophbic lawyers-cum-politicians are lying when they declare that only foreigners can get HIV? I think some of them actually believed that nonsense - in the same way that I believe some Christians honestly thought that HIV was divine punishment for gay sex.

Yes, both are totally wrong - morally and biologically. But they're only lying if they know the difference between what they were describing and the biological reality of pathogens and human bodies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 15 min Chicagoan by Birth 87,519
The American Dream is DEAD DEAD DEAD. (Oct '17) 1 hr Hock Fung Soc Tu 23
Looking to finally settle down. Need some sugge... 2 hr Plock Yan Yuk Foo 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr residualcash 703,573
Why are women from USA prefer casual dating ove... 3 hr MGTOW 2
The Good Man Donald Trump 4 hr MexicoWill Pay4Wall 2
Prostitutes at Taiji Massage in Port Charlotte 4 hr FredG5 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr science is god 996,409