Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#568758 Aug 7, 2013
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> The babble will likely echo when youre walking the plank into that lake, which upon information and belief will be sooner than later.
Just a few hours ago, you were saying that hell probably wasn't a lake of fire. What happened? A new revelation?

This Scary Chicken ploy should be beneath you. It scares nobody but children, and doesn't do much for you or your church, either. It emphasizes the sadistic foundation of Christianity, the psychopathic nature of the Christian god, and the willingness of the church to deploy psychological terrorism with by offering salvation purchased through the torture of a man-god to avoid damnation in the torture pit made by that god.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#568759 Aug 7, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
ROFLMAO
The South African equivalent of Fox News.
You ARE a moron.
<quoted text>
It's definitely a biased source.'Nuff said.

Fennario

#568760 Aug 7, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
All we can do is pray.
Then you are useless.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#568761 Aug 7, 2013
Qu_innocence wrote:
...I've read that some physicists argue that the universe came out of nothingness through quantum vacuum fluctations. But if that is the case then is nothing really nothingness in physics?...
What if it did come out of "nothingness" ?

That would still do nothing to confirm or deny the existence of God.

Can't one believe that the Quantum fluctuation was "created by God" ?

I am reminded of how the ancients believed that a chariot riding God was required to carry the sun around the Earth. We now now that there are no such chariots and the Earth circles the sun not the sun round the Earth. However, is it not possible that "God" created the laws of physics that make the Universe work without chariots and invisible gears ad chains.

Religion seems to put a lot of silly restraints on God. Is it impossible for God that can make a flower grow from a tiny seed to create a Universe from a quantum fluctuation? or the quantum fluctuation itself ?

Fennario

#568762 Aug 7, 2013
Chris Clearwater wrote:
I've met some Americans that would love to be able by force of law to shut people up.
So have I. By the way, burning people at the stake is illegal now.

Fennario

#568763 Aug 7, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
go down to disney land or universal, you can see a talking dog, a talking mouse, a talking cat, or superman or iron man--and just because you can see them, then that makes them real and not imaginary---lol!
They are real, Aristotle.

More Christians philosophizing. Excellent.

Fennario

#568764 Aug 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
So we're taking our use of definition from the social sciences. That has the benefit of being able to discuss ALL people's spiritual experiences, and not just those from Christian culture.
As you know, when a particular usage falls from the literature and speech of a people, that definition remains in the dictionary, but with the addition of the tag "archaic." I see that in the future of Christianity inspired words. Here's an archaic definition of "Christian":

Christian (adj)- commendably decent or generous: "Has a very Christian concern for others"

“"None shall pass"”

There

#568765 Aug 7, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
So have I. By the way, burning people at the stake is illegal now.
So is lynching and stoning.

Some of them yearn for the "good old days".
I recommend they move to a country enforcing Biblical Law (AKA Sharia).

“"None shall pass"”

There

#568766 Aug 7, 2013
<quoted text>
As you know, when a particular usage falls from the literature and speech of a people, that definition remains in the dictionary, but with the addition of the tag "archaic." I see that in the future of Christianity inspired words. Here's an archaic definition of "Christian":
Christian (adj)- commendably decent or generous: "Has a very Christian concern for others"
Long gone. Being replaced with universal respect and concern without a threatening deity.

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#568767 Aug 7, 2013
Part 3 @ Ian

Cont.
<quoted text>You'd be incorrect (Concerning Knowledge and Humilty). Knowledge is far more valuable.
While knowledge is extremely valuable, I would have to respectfully disagree that it supercedes humility (meekness). A small example ---> Isn't listening better than over-talking someone even though they know more? An adult could be more knowledgeable than a child is... but when one humbles themselves and listen we can possibly always learn something from our children also.

<quoted text>Humility is code in Christian for docility, isn't it?
Not always... if that were the case then there wouldn't be such a thing as Protestant churches... so forth and so on. Humility is not always weakness, but strength also.

<quoted text>It's not the opposite of bragging or conceit the way you are using it here. It's the opposite of asserting oneself, which is really the cardinal message of Christian philosophy and your message to me: yield. It's a strategy appropriate only in select situations. In others, it is a mistake. Habitual acquiescence is certainly not a virtue.
Actually, I was making an observance of something that is equally as strong as knowledge. I didn't necessarily expect to reply on the matter but since we're here, to belittle the point...Ghandi was a knowledgeable man but yet humbled himself and saved a nation from their oppressors. Mandela could've been freed from prison a long time ago if he just yielded but rather, he accepted humility and also saved his people. I believe Confuscious was humble... Yip Man (Bruce Lee's instructor) had extreme martial arts knowledge but wouldn't use Kung fu to pick a fight...

Also, I believe God's Son humbled Himself to death and you've already heard of the situation... I would suppose ad nauseum?

So anyways, imho I thin it is possible that seekers of "superior knowledge only" can provide a false sense of security. The Titanic could've been an "above-water" museum.

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#568768 Aug 7, 2013
Edit above: " Isn't listening better than over-talking someone even though YOU may know more?

Fennario

#568769 Aug 7, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
He and others don't understand it is almost always their ignorance, stupidity and deceitfulness (among other things) that is being mocked, not their personal beliefs or religion.
Agreed.

And the evidence of that is that we don't mock the decent Christians, who share the same beliefs. We may criticize those beliefs, and the faith that underlies them, but not the people. When we mock somebody like Trifecta as I just did with the Tyson thing ("I was listening to Neil DeGrasse Tyson speaking about the way that religion blights knowledge and progress, and I immediately thought of you"), it is because of his commitment to anti-scientism.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#568770 Aug 7, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
To the first part, we all have Bibles that we can read without it being spammed here. I am currently reading reading Dante and Milton again for a much better insight into current Christian beliefs. <smile>
To the second, I like when LW comes after me. We have been chasing each others tails for a couple years. It is one of the reasons I like her and 'annoy' her.
Nice! I like Milton :)

Fennario

#568771 Aug 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No, IANS is quite right. Non-scientists have no voice in science.

"Thank you for your input. Your paper has been rejected. We don't recommend resubmitting this to another journal." Or they will likely just delete your email.
LOL.'Thank you for your vote'(vote deleted).

Trifecta want a say in the matter so much you can feel it through the Internet. But alas,'vote deleted.'

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#568772 Aug 7, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
What if it did come out of "nothingness" ?
That would still do nothing to confirm or deny the existence of God.
Can't one believe that the Quantum fluctuation was "created by God" ?
I am reminded of how the ancients believed that a chariot riding God was required to carry the sun around the Earth. We now now that there are no such chariots and the Earth circles the sun not the sun round the Earth. However, is it not possible that "God" created the laws of physics that make the Universe work without chariots and invisible gears ad chains.
Religion seems to put a lot of silly restraints on God. Is it impossible for God that can make a flower grow from a tiny seed to create a Universe from a quantum fluctuation? or the quantum fluctuation itself ?
\

Precisely - in as much as we can ever know about this universe from within it, it's extremely unlikely we'll ever be able to draw an inference about whether it was created or spontaneous.

However, I believe we can add information from the social sciences about the nature of human behavior, cognition and development. In my opinion, the evidence suggests no human culture's deities exist.

Yet that's about as far as I can go. Anyone can subsequently infer that a creator exists and it is not like those postulated by humans. I would of course argue that their inference itself is socially mediated, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate the inference.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#568773 Aug 7, 2013
Ghandi was fortunate to be in INdia and not South Africa (where he started). He would have been executed as a traitor.
Mandella was lucky that the South African Government was relaxed in it's treatment of traitors since Ghandi's time.

Gandhi was 24 when he arrived in South Africa[30] to work as a legal representative for the Muslim Indian Traders based in the city of Pretoria.[31] He spent 21 years in South Africa, where he developed his political views, ethics and political leadership skills.
Note that Ghandi did nothing for the brutal treatment of native Africans in S.A., maybe he was a racist.
Qu_innocence wrote:
Part 3 @ Ian
Cont.
6. <quoted text>While knowledge is extremely valuable, I would have to respectfully disagree that it supercedes humility (meekness). A small example ---> Isn't listening better than over-talking someone even though they know more? An adult could be more knowledgeable than a child is... but when one humbles themselves and listen we can possibly always learn something from our children also.
7. <quoted text>Not always... if that were the case then there wouldn't be such a thing as Protestant churches... so forth and so on. Humility is not always weakness, but strength also.
8. <quoted text>Actually, I was making an observance of something that is equally as strong as knowledge. I didn't necessarily expect to reply on the matter but since we're here, to belittle the point...Ghandi was a knowledgeable man but yet humbled himself and saved a nation from their oppressors. Mandela could've been freed from prison a long time ago if he just yielded but rather, he accepted humility and also saved his people. I believe Confuscious was humble... Yip Man (Bruce Lee's instructor) had extreme martial arts knowledge but wouldn't use Kung fu to pick a fight...
Also, I believe God's Son humbled Himself to death and you've already heard of the situation... I would suppose ad nauseum?

Fennario

#568774 Aug 7, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
And all the science behind that computer you are sitting at is make-believe, too. It is actually a magic box with an angel in it, or is it a demon ? OH, Wait, it IS a demon. His name is Maxwell.
Have you seem this one:

"You stare into your high definition plasma screen monitor, type into your cordless keyboard then hit enter, which causes your computer to convert all that visual data into a binary signal that’s processed by millions of precise circuits.

"This is then converted to a frequency modulated signal to reach your wireless router where it is then converted to light waves and sent along a large fiber optics cable to be processed by a super computer on a mass server.

"This sends that bit you typed to a satellite orbiting the earth that was put there through the greatest feats of engineering and science, all so it could go back through a similar pathway to make it all the way here to my computer monitor 15,000 miles away from you just so you could say,“Science is all a bunch of man made hogwash.”- anon.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#568775 Aug 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice! I like Milton :)
Milton and Dante are the main sources of Christian beliefs about Hell. Strange that they don't know they are not based on anything in either the Christian or Jewish Canon of literature.

They were both written and sold and published as complete works of fiction.

Fennario

#568776 Aug 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
After reading the book reviews, it's clear Hawking and Mlodinow's book is not directed toward scientists, but to everyone. So it's not actually a scientific contribution, but version of science writing from within the discipline.
Some of the reviewer's you posted aren't even scientists.
Clearly, you are greatly confused as to what is and what is not science. I'll try to straighten this out for you:
1. science is based on research
2. research science is largely published in academic journals, but the social sciences tend to publish books
3. scientists writing for lay people about their philosophical views of their science does not contribute to the scientific discipline in question. At most, it contributes a non-mathematical understanding of their work that is accessible to non-scientists
4. science writing as opposed to scientific research is not peer reviewed; it's editor reviewed. That's very different. Hawking is not producing new scientific claims here - he's discussing what his work means to the discipline of physics and philosophy
It appears you don't understand that. You really need to pause before making further claims about science.
Nice.

I get a kick out of Trifecta's big top science. It is the latest installment in a long tradition of faith based thinking:

"The 12th century brought the influence of the scholar al-Ghazali, and out of his work you get the philosophy that mathematics is the work of the Devil, and that nothing good can come of that philosophy." - Tyson

“"None shall pass"”

There

#568777 Aug 7, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>\
Precisely - in as much as we can ever know about this universe from within it, it's extremely unlikely we'll ever be able to draw an inference about whether it was created or spontaneous.
However, I believe we can add information from the social sciences about the nature of human behavior, cognition and development. In my opinion, the evidence suggests no human culture's deities exist.
Yet that's about as far as I can go. Anyone can subsequently infer that a creator exists and it is not like those postulated by humans. I would of course argue that their inference itself is socially mediated, but that doesn't necessarily invalidate the inference.
I don't see the "Creator" as anthropomorphous. I do infer that the entire Universe can be considered a single living organism.
"WE are but a hangnail on the hand of God" - ME 3:56

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 min RiccardoFire 43,943
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Never-ending Doctor 30,472
Play "end of the word" part 2 3 min Aussie Kev 1,484
no strings sex in margate (Nov '10) 14 min Alesander 59
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 43 min The Hangman 968,925
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr lil whispers 3,563
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 1 hr Paul is dead sinc... 3,707
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr WildWeirdWillie 181,971
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 hr Rosesz 638,120
More from around the web