Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567959 Aug 4, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:

We'd have to compare individual beliefs to determine that.
I follow rational skepticism, a superior method for attaining beliefs. That judgement is based on the performance of rational skepticism versus the performance of faith.
Oh. Uh-huh.

And how has your rational skepticism told you that God is as likely as the Lizard people?

It would seem ignorance fuels that thought, not fact.
Where's the question mark?
No, I don't see myself as superior.
Oh, excuse me. Your "thought processes" are.
Very good, RR.
You're right, I did take that out of context. The Bible instructs you to be like a child, in the sense that you remain open minded.
It's ironic that religious indoctrination works best on open minded children to create close minded adults.
I'm not the one that's closed minded here, Tide.

You're the one that says you don't giveafuck about something that has no evidence.

To me, that seems closed minded and shallow. Like never opening a door, just waiting for it to do it itself.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#567960 Aug 4, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
For all seek their own,not the things which are Jesus Christ.
Philippians 2:21
Prevalent is the sin of self seeking.
Men shall be lovers of their own selves covetous.
2 Timothy 3:2
Theses sins are to characterize the last days.
Self seeking yesterday and today.
Self seeking.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#567961 Aug 4, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was living in Shanghai, I taught English to some orphans. I really miss that.
I've been thinking, when I get finished with college, about adopting. I'm not sure, with my history, if I would even be considered fit to be a parent.
I think that would pretty cool

I have ten foster sisters. It can really make a difference. I don't say this next part to suggest in any way you wouldn't be fit. But the standards for adopting infants are very challenging as there are so many people that want them. The older a child gets, it starts becoming exponentially harder to place them with somebody. People want to raise a child from infancy as their own. And some consider older children or teens in the system to be "damaged goods"

Anyway my point is, even qualified people can be put on waiting lists for years to adopt. And that is even people from two-income families with a sparkling past. As a child gets a little older, the requirements aren't so strict because placement becomes the main priory, not where they are placed

Who better than you to help a child or young teen that has gotten dealt a difficult hand? I think you would be amazing at it. You may even want to try like a program like "Big brothers/Big Sisters" first to see how you would like it. And it would make it easier to adopt permanently or take in a foster child if you wanted to later

Helping children is a great feeling. Helping save one is one of the best things someone can do

If you ever do it, I wish you all the best

(T) Peace
Bongo

United States

#567962 Aug 4, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was living in Shanghai, I taught English to some orphans. I really miss that.
I've been thinking, when I get finished with college, about adopting. I'm not sure, with my history, if I would even be considered fit to be a parent.
Does this mean youre pretty?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#567963 Aug 4, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Take heed therefore unto yourselfs and to all the flock over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers to feed the church of God which He hath purchased with His own blood.
Acts 20:28
Feed the flock of God which is among you taking the oversight thereof.
1 Peter 5:2
I charge thee therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ who shall judge the quick and the dead at His Appearing and His Kingdom;
Preach the word.
2 Timothy 4:1&2
O son of man I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel;therefore thous shalt hear the word at My mouth and warn them from Me.
Ezekiel 33:7
In all things shewing thyself a pattern of good works.
Titus 2:7
The hireling fleeth because he is an hireling and careth not for the sheep.
John 10:13

In all things.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#567964 Aug 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why do you question my belief so much? Is it that important to you?
It's important to you.

I feel like I've got to be skeptical enough for the both of us.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Really? Tell me, what faith have you used that absolutely failed?
And why did it fail?
Faith fails because you can use it to believe anything or it's opposite, and be convinced that you are correct, without being able to support your belief through demonstration.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Then you are extremely closed minded.
In a discussion of "what is", untestable claims are not interesting.

In a discussion of "what if", then untestable claims become interesting. I like fiction. I have a wild imagination.

My mind isn't closed, it's selective.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Neither. I'm sure you could write a big book.
I doubt that you could write something as intriguing as the Bible.
I doubt your big book would withstand the test of time.
That has everything to do with the constraints of history and nothing at all to do with my abilities.

I cannot recreate the conditions that would allow my book to have the same effect on humanity that the Bible did and has.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
"Religious belief is a socially distorted delusion."
That is untestable.
It's a socially supported delusion.

When you hear voices in your head, you're crazy. When those voices in your head have names from the Bible, you're just a Christian.

Because of the overwhelming influence of social pressure, we make allowances for religious belief. We don't generally think of these people as crazy, necessarily. That doesn't mean that the actual beliefs of a Christian are more true than any random delusion.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Is it social pressure or peer pressure you're talking about?
Pick one do we can stay on topic.
Peer pressure and social pressure are the same thing, except there are additional connotations to peer pressure. That term has baggage where "social pressure" does not. They are functionally the same.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Ah. Petty insults.
As expected.
I figured it would be insulting. That's what cognitive dissonance feels like.

A belief in Sasquatch is less absurd than a belief in the Lizard People, and a belief in the Lizard People is less absurd than Christianity.

I'd talk about that at length, but I should get some work done, maybe.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567965 Aug 4, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You were an Engrish teachel?

Location hidden

#567966 Aug 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is a difference between saying that you disagree with one's religion versus calling it childish.
Why can't you see that?
<quoted text>
Cool. You're admitting that calling a religious person childish is talking shit.
I hope Catcher's reading this.
Is this a lie or a mistake?

I certainly didn't admit what you claim.

I agree that there is a difference. That was all.

Incidentally, this is why I put a time constraint on our discussions.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#567967 Aug 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
There is a difference between saying that you disagree with one's religion versus calling it childish.
Why can't you see that?
<quoted text>
Cool. You're admitting that calling a religious person childish is talking shit.
I hope Catcher's reading this.
Oh, yeah, I'm reading it.

I'm shaking my head in disbelief, too (no pun intended).

You're a mess, dude.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#567968 Aug 4, 2013
Red Apples wrote:
<quoted text>
Hitting the bottle kind of early today aren't you le_le?
What about my post to Clearwater deserved that post from you??
Intimidated by my words, so you try and slander me?

Isn't your god supposed to grant you peace??
You show yourself a fraud for Jesus.

You are just like Lupy and Skom..embrace them both,,
Birds of a feather, I say....

Location hidden

#567969 Aug 4, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

It's a socially supported delusion.
When you hear voices in your head, you're crazy. When those voices in your head have names from the Bible, you're just a Christian.
Because of the overwhelming influence of social pressure, we make allowances for religious belief. We don't generally think of these people as crazy, necessarily. That doesn't mean that the actual beliefs of a Christian are more true than any random delusion.
You like to pontificate, especially when it reinforces your own delusion that you are superior. Your words belie your claims as everything you say is dripping in arrogance. But to me it is no different than the kid that never got invited to parties when he was younger convincing himself that everybody else is a loser

You like to use semantics to cover what you do. But being selectively close-minded is the same as being close-minded. It was never suggested you were close-minded about everything. But..you knew that. So much for integrity.

You have stated something as fact

"It's a socially supported delusion. When you hear voices in your head, you're crazy. When those voices in your head have names from the Bible, you're just a Christian."

However you are in the 1-4% of society that believes this to be a fact. Hardly being on tera firma to use to build your argument. Only if there is no God and no supernatural and no spiritual realm could someone say with certainty anyone that communicates or has had contact with the unseen is crazy. You can't prove that is the case.

I have never heard a voice. I don't discount it is possible

You think 90% of the population participates in some type of delusional belief system. 90% of the population thinks you are someone to be pitied. Someone so full of himself that he can't even allow for the idea of a greater life force than his own

Seems like a fair trade-off. So be it.

Location hidden

#567970 Aug 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a mess, dude.
And you are a hypocrite

You would never support someone approaching another to mock their belief system or lifestyle, regardless of what you thought about it, so long as the person was not harming anyone.

You claim you are against bigotry and racism and prejudice

Yet when you are on Topix, you show yourself to exactly what tou claim you are against. So does Tide for that matter and all his claims of being against labels.

The sad part, you both probably do stand for something better in real life. But you guys love the online co-dependency and the validation it brings.

I honestly don't know what is worse. I guess I would have to say the true bigot in real life than the guy who sell his ethics online for an "atta boy"

But neither is very appealing

Location hidden

#567971 Aug 4, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>

Birds of a feather, I say....
You say a lot of things

Normally for the approval of others

Do you believe in Jesus and the Bible?

I wonder if the things you say will ever be predicated on simply the truth?

Location hidden

#567972 Aug 4, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a mess, dude.
And btw

The pun absolutely was intended

Who are kidding?

You are probably in the shower with the door locked right now

Puns and word games really get you going it would seem

:)

Location hidden

#567973 Aug 4, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh. Uh-huh.
And how has your rational skepticism told you that God is as likely as the Lizard people?
By my reckoning, God is impossible, not just unlikely.

I said that Christianity is more absurd than a belief in the Lizard People because of what each demands.

I suppose you'd have to understand, if not follow, rational skepticism, to know why.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It would seem ignorance fuels that thought, not fact.
Accepting ignorance is an important part of rational skepticism.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Oh, excuse me. Your "thought processes" are.
The methodology I follow, yes. I'd rather not think of it as "mine" as if I invented it or have any ownership over it. One might become narcissistic if they did that.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm not the one that's closed minded here, Tide.
You're the one that says you don't giveafuck about something that has no evidence.
One shouldn't be so open minded that they accept every claim. Wouldn't you agree? There must be some kind of filter, correct? There must be some standard that you follow to inform you of which claims you should accept and which you shouldn't.

I follow rational skepticism. My mind is as open as it needs to be to reliably discern between what is likely true and likely false.

Part of the evidence for the performance of rational skepticism is the scientific advancement of humanity.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
To me, that seems closed minded and shallow. Like never opening a door, just waiting for it to do it itself.
I'm not even slightly moved by your arguments.

Location hidden

#567974 Aug 4, 2013
satanlives wrote:
<quoted text>
you believe?....wow..that's impressive... I guess if you believe in Iron Man and the Green Lantern, that makes it so....
are you a retard?
work on getting some scientific proof einstein....
I believe God can also be found in the Muslim world...

I'd rather you work on social grace.. Maybe find some peace for yourself??
Retard Doctor

Little Rock, AR

#567976 Aug 4, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe God can also be found in the Muslim world...
I'd rather you work on social grace.. Maybe find some peace for yourself??
Muslim world? Step into my office. Please.

Location hidden

#567977 Aug 4, 2013
Got some stuff to do

Not many Christians posting on here any longer

it is what it is

And i didn't want it having anything to do with my other posts or exchanges. But now that I am heading out, I would ask that any believer that sees that say a prayer for my father. He had a mini-stroke yesterday. He is doing much better today. But there are other complications as well. As mini-strokes aren't a sign anything is getting better. Although I am hoping it was an isolated thing

In any event, I would appreciate it

Thanks

Location hidden

#567978 Aug 4, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You like to pontificate, especially when it reinforces your own delusion that you are superior. Your words belie your claims as everything you say is dripping in arrogance. But to me it is no different than the kid that never got invited to parties when he was younger convincing himself that everybody else is a loser
You like to use semantics to cover what you do. But being selectively close-minded is the same as being close-minded. It was never suggested you were close-minded about everything. But..you knew that. So much for integrity.
You have stated something as fact
"It's a socially supported delusion. When you hear voices in your head, you're crazy. When those voices in your head have names from the Bible, you're just a Christian."
However you are in the 1-4% of society that believes this to be a fact. Hardly being on tera firma to use to build your argument. Only if there is no God and no supernatural and no spiritual realm could someone say with certainty anyone that communicates or has had contact with the unseen is crazy. You can't prove that is the case.
I have never heard a voice. I don't discount it is possible
You think 90% of the population participates in some type of delusional belief system. 90% of the population thinks you are someone to be pitied. Someone so full of himself that he can't even allow for the idea of a greater life force than his own
Seems like a fair trade-off. So be it.
Stop obsessing over me. Gawd.

Location hidden

#567979 Aug 4, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You say a lot of things
Normally for the approval of others
Do you believe in Jesus and the Bible?
I wonder if the things you say will ever be predicated on simply the truth?
lol..
You support much worse on here than I could ever dream of being..
You -almost- seem obsessed w me posting on wsjlm.

Can you please show where I tried to come between yourself and Chess Jurist??
It's just one if your many lies and slanderous attacks towards me.
Yet, can you try and be a man and back up your accusation here??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min Nohweh 110,803
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min PRES DONALD TRUMP 675,933
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 52 min Voyeur 184,777
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 58 min Voyeur 39,232
Taking my kids 1 hr advicemama 1
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr NotSoDivineMsM 288
Hell Angels motor cycle group (Jul '11) 3 hr Luscious 107
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 hr waaaasuuuup brother 982,119
More from around the web