Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#567462 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
You are implying that Satan is man-made.
Bingo! You got it in one, baby.

Some stable somewhere

#567463 Aug 3, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
I don’t agree that other religions are like mine in that they get the same results. If I did I would be a part of their religion. But if they do that is their business.
You so believe that people of other religions aren't quite as good as you, aren't as fulfilled, don't believe as much as you do?

How many religions have you tried to make such claims?
11 to say 15 year olds think that they are mature but that doesn’t mean they are.
So...atheists are 11 to 15 year olds in your view?
He, you, me all believe we are right. Maybe IANS understood religion and maybe he didn’t. I personally do not think he ever knew the Lord very well at all.
I don't think it's possible for you to accurately describe someone else's experiences.
I agree that if you go from x to y you are not going to think you know less than you did.
This is a good example of why not to argue religion. Instead seek what you want to know and believe what you believe. We can not make someone believe or not to believe what we believe or don’t believe. Harassing them is not going to work either.
Yes we believe our beliefs, not someone else’s. There is no way we can come to an agreed belief or believe in a way we don’t. Neither do we agree that what someone else believe is right when it effects the others belief in a negative way. So….
:)
HFN
Yeah. That's why we're all annoyed when some religious people come knocking at the door. And why I am disgusted by missionaries - and any religion that tells its followers they have to convert others.

Some stable somewhere

#567464 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Kid, you gotta drop the "you are smarter than anybody" act
And it is not JUST supernatural. It can also be spiritual or ecclesiastical
In this case it would be a loosely defined example of spiritual
As in a connection to them that isn;
't literal. Like saying i left my heart in San Francisco doesn't really mean you left your heart there
You used what would be considered a spiritual connection or link to a place. That is how it was being used in a sentence
Oh, so now the definition can be flexible?

Watching you backpedal all the time is pretty fun.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#567465 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Yes, words used by humans can describe our experiences

Those words are found and defined in what is called a dictionary

There are plenty of words in that dictionary that would properly describe what you are saying you have experienced. Spiritual is not one of those words

I would try to make this simpler for you but I don't see how it could be any more simple than it already is

You don't believe in the supernatural. So why out of all the words you could pick to describe an experience would you a pick a word that is defined as supernatural?

It makes no sense
So um, you like the dictionary huh?

Some stable somewhere

#567466 Aug 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>If Skombolis had been properly taught how to use a dictionary, he wouldn't even be debating this.
You know this, but I've still got to point out the dictionary is a tool.
We don't have to redefine "spiritual". The definition is found in the dictionary. Let's look at the word.
Adjective: spiritual
1. Concerned with sacred matters, religion or the church
2. Concerned with or affecting the spirit or soul
3. Lacking material body, form or substance
4. Resembling or characteristic of a phantom
Noun: spiritual
1. Religious song originated by Blacks in the southern U.S.
A word definition contains descriptors or key words within the definition that are intended to lead to a deeper understanding of what that word encompasses, in meaning. How do we discover that? We use the dictionary.
The key descriptors for this purpose would be; sacred, spirit, and the entire #3 definition.
Let's look at the descriptor "sacred".
Adjective: sacred
1. Concerned with religion or religious purposes
2. Worthy of respect or dedication
3. Made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use
4. Worthy of religious veneration
5.(often followed by 'to') devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose or person
There we go. The #2 and #5 definitions applies to "spiritual" and fits within the scope we're discussing. Spiritual, to an atheist often denotes respect or dedication, and we devote the use of that word, to a single use, purpose(and in this application) it's a personal meaning.
We could probably stop here, however, let's look at "spirit".
Noun: spirit
1. The vital principle or animating force within living things
2. The general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
3. A fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one's character
4. Any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
5. The state of a person's emotions (especially with regard to pleasure or dejection)
6. The intended meaning of a communication
7. Animation and energy in action or expression
8. An inclination or tendency of a certain kind
Verb: spirit
1. Infuse with spirit
Again, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8 apply.
I don't think I need to go into what each of the above indicates, within the full scope of the enhancement they provide in understanding the word "spiritual". The word, spiritual, encompasses a broad scope in meaning. That meaning is supplied by the person using the word, and is specific to their intended use.
I mentioned the #3 definition of spiritual, let's finally look at that.
3. Lacking material body, form or substance
Yeah, spiritual, is certainly lacking material form, body or substance. It's a state of mind, a thought, an emotion. Feeling.
Yeah, "spiritual" goes beyond the rigid "supernatural" meaning for theists, atheists understand it goes far beyond that rigid theistic understanding.
So, spiritual, to an atheist, is not limited to a "supernatural' meaning as dictated by theists. Nor is the word and its meaning denied to atheists.
The word, "Spiritual", is available to all humans. It is an emotion or state of being and deep appreciation for whatever evokes that feeling within us happens to be, and can mean many things to many people. It is not defined by only what theists say it can mean.
It's simple to see, when a dictionary is used properly, it enriches what we do understand about the words we use.
(Definitions from WordWeb Pro 6.6)
Very nice, Scar, very nice.

Some stable somewhere

#567467 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, such a dummy
You can't take part of a definition and then claim all the definitions for that word are interchangeable with the original word
You took this definition
1. Concerned with sacred matters, religion or the church
Omitted the description of religion or the church which shows that is how it is using sacred, then took ALL the definition from sacred and are claiming that makes them interchangeable with spiritual!
LOL, you really are retarded!
I know i have been ignoring you for months and you keep posting to me but i had to answer this one!
I was going to pull some random words and take their definitions to illustrate how ridiculous it is but it doesn't require examples because what you did is so stupid!
hahahaha!!!

Now all definitions of a dictionary must be used in full! You can't pick one! You can't use a thesaurus or another part of the same dictionary!

backpedal, backpedal - look up the words "gross insecurity" Skom

Some stable somewhere

#567468 Aug 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/T0N0LORUMAROFEJGO/post 567150
<quoted text>
Thanks.
<quoted text>
It's pretty sad confusing ideas like ghostly spirits and spiritualists with authentic spirituality.
Christianity is pretty lost in this area. One could call it a poverty of spirit.
It's a highly circumscribed way to explore human spirituality - and it's taught, trained and reproduced.

Some stable somewhere

#567469 Aug 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Such a loving deity, eh ?.
And worse Priests!

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#567470 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You are smarter than me.

I accept that fact.

It doesn't make me think less of myself. It inspires me to achieve knowledge.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#567471 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You noticed, eh?

And he pretends he's not backpedaling at all, just refining his position.

Or perhaps he's not even aware of what he's doing.

Strange bird, that Skom.

I think I'd rather be a dork.

A liar, not so much.

Location hidden

#567472 Aug 3, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>Clueless..Whose kids are you talking to Lucy?? You abuse yourself daily and want to whine when someone calls you out on your crap? LOL. Please continue your childish attempts of sarcasm..You make quite a spectacle of yourself and then try to teach some invisible kids a life lesson. Why not stay off the internet long enough to teach them a real life lesson..
***Spitting and biting, followed by personal attacks. Typical christian behaviour, don't believe them kids, the reality is that they really are this nasty, no matter how much they talk of love and forgiveness, they don't even love themselves, look how some of them speak to people.***

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#567473 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Bingo! You got it in one, baby.
I can sell you a kit to make one. lol

Location hidden

#567474 Aug 3, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>You got something brown on your nose..Most don't THINK we are saved..We KNOW. Sorry, your kids are going to get an F in this subject. Tell them that it WASN'T the "teachings" of Jesus that saved us or will ever keep us saved, It was just Jesus. Carry on with your hate spewing fun If your kids are watching, ou are teaching them to be just like you. It would be best if you simply keep those kids out of this room but you insist on dragging them in here in a weak attempt for sympathy. Poor Lucy!!!
***More abuse. You will see kids, this subject, will drop all pretence of decency, the angrier she gets. Hate and anger go hand in hand and when one feels hate as strongly as this subject does, they think it drives us all, the concept of actual love is very alien to them, get it? Be cool kids, stay off religion.***

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#567475 Aug 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm at a loss for words.
Where does personal responsibility come in?
There's no personal responsibility. You have the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other. They duke it out, and whoever wins makes the choices. Haven't you seen any cartoons?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#567476 Aug 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can sell you a kit to make one. lol
Hahaha.

Good one.

I want one with a removable tail.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567477 Aug 3, 2013
Replacing Christian values with humanist values in the law, in public policy, and as the dominant paradigm in the culture at large seems cruel and selfish to you?
I think the opposite.

RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yes it does seem cruel and selfish to me. And you already know why.

No, I don't.
Nor can I imagine what your answer will be.
Because humanism/atheism seek to tear down everything I believe in to be good.

You put up billboards saying "In Good We Trust".

You sell books titled "Good Without God".

You promote anti-Christian ethics.

You scorn & mock Christian beliefs as if they're bad.

You promote the punishment of a high school student for thanking God for winning a game.

You prosecute a Christian apartment owner for not renting an apartment to an unmarried couple.

You promote your own religion and values as if they're any better.

But you know what? You won't win. We Christians have been struggling with you humanists/atheists since Biblical times. Even Apostle Paul warned the people in Colossians 2:8;

"See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the elemental spiritual forces of this world rather than on Christ."

You haven't won in 2,000 years. You won't win for the next 2,000 years.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567478 Aug 3, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post
Thanks, BenGod.
Lol

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567479 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No worries. RR, even though neuroscience describes spiritual experience in purely monistic, brain terms, you're entirely capable of believing in a soul behind the physical facade.
For whatever reason, I am unable to share your inference.
Then we are at an impasse.

Sammich time!

Some stable somewhere

#567480 Aug 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
You are smarter than me.
I accept that fact.
It doesn't make me think less of myself. It inspires me to achieve knowledge.
I don't believe I am smarter than you - the thoughts you come up with, your quips, your connections between disparate words and meanings, display a brilliance beyond - waaaaay beyond.

Nothing makes me happier than to read your words above - you are the future, River. Push yourself, push the world.

Some stable somewhere

#567481 Aug 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You noticed, eh?
And he pretends he's not backpedaling at all, just refining his position.
Or perhaps he's not even aware of what he's doing.
Strange bird, that Skom.
I think I'd rather be a dork.
A liar, not so much.
He's hilarious. A fantastic example of the potential dangers of not getting an education.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 2 min Johnny 130
Trump's "Russia Worries" louder than the noon sun 6 min Johnny 20
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 24 min Quirky 42,049
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 45 min Johnny 630
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 46 min PadMark 690,470
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Uncle Al 4,363
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr another viewer 989,749
More from around the web