Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567353 Aug 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Table tennis is ping pong played with spirituality.
That's the definition in my dictionary.
Therefore, my statement is not open to challenge.
I challenge you....

*slaps face with steel gauntlet*

...to a duel.
Here For Now

Lenoir City, TN

#567354 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
It's just that you repeated what I said. I guess that means we're in agreement.
I wrote to you that believers of one religion fail to understand that believers of another have exactly the same power of experience in their belief as they do. And you wrote me back, something like, so do atheists.
Well, for the most part I disagree. Most atheists here - not all, but most - were Christians once. So they understand what it is like to be a believer. Some where very, very strong believers - like IANS. Now they have a very different experience, and that experience is like maturity to them. Because, in their lives, through their development, Christianity was at a younger time. From the atheist point of view, Christianity becomes a phase of immaturity, of development, that passes.
And, if someone went from atheist to Christian, I am pretty sure they would feel the reverse - that atheism was a point of immaturity and non-understanding. I can't imagine a person who would think "oh, I'm an X, but I used to be a Y, now I'm so stupid and immature."
To address your larger point - yes, we, believers and nonbelievers, all "know" that what we "believe" is real. It's utterly real for us. And there's no getting around that.
I don’t agree that other religions are like mine in that they get the same results. If I did I would be a part of their religion. But if they do that is their business.

11 to say 15 year olds think that they are mature but that doesn’t mean they are.

He, you, me all believe we are right. Maybe IANS understood religion and maybe he didn’t. I personally do not think he ever knew the Lord very well at all.

I agree that if you go from x to y you are not going to think you know less than you did.

This is a good example of why not to argue religion. Instead seek what you want to know and believe what you believe. We can not make someone believe or not to believe what we believe or don’t believe. Harassing them is not going to work either.

Yes we believe our beliefs, not someone else’s. There is no way we can come to an agreed belief or believe in a way we don’t. Neither do we agree that what someone else believe is right when it effects the others belief in a negative way. So….
:)
HFN

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#567355 Aug 3, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the examples of "spiritual" from the Merriam Webster dictionary (since you obviously won't budge from your extremely narrow-minded views):
-France will always be the spiritual home of wine lovers.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spi...
Now, how is that related to the supernatural in any way?
Learn to use your brain, not let it stagnate.
LOL

Kid, you gotta drop the "you are smarter than anybody" act

And it is not JUST supernatural. It can also be spiritual or ecclesiastical

In this case it would be a loosely defined example of spiritual

As in a connection to them that isn;
't literal. Like saying i left my heart in San Francisco doesn't really mean you left your heart there

You used what would be considered a spiritual connection or link to a place. That is how it was being used in a sentence

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#567356 Aug 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
IANS isn't a c&per he is very educated, in fact he frowns on plagiarism , which is what you are accusing him of.
I'm not saying this because I particularly like him, we like many at time clash, but I can respect his intelligence . Something you've just insulted. I'm not trying to speak for him or gain favor
which BTW Frankly Madam...I don't give a damn. But I am in all honesty, merely trying to tell you that you are simply wrong.
Thanks, Aura.

Location hidden

#567357 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're welcome.
LOL...I will just let them one go as its all good:)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567358 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that kinda like the Borg?
No, they are the only species the Borg can't assimilate. They aren't from our universe.

Location hidden

#567359 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I challenge you....
*slaps face with steel gauntlet*
...to a duel.
Uh oh...now you did it

Catcher is going to prance over and sissy slap you when you aren't looking!

Nah, just kidding. He just is going to start looking even harder for typos!

LOL

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#567360 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
No, a guy that gets so obsessed with a an anonymous poster that since yesterday he has made like 20 unsolicited posts to him. B far more posts to that one poster than all other posters combined. And to a poster that said he wasn't interested in talking to you and just used a link for like 10 posts figuring you would tire of making yourself look crazy but of course you didn't
Its not like I said something because somebody responded to A post of mine. This is like 20 unsolicited posts because you are a whackjob
It is becoming obvious that not only is Skombolis an Iconophobe, he's also highly troubled by unsolicited responses on a public forum...

<.·:*¨`*†THE PHOBIAS of Skombolis†*¨`*:·.>

<Skombolis> "Yes, yes, yes, that'll be it, yes, it's the same thing every time I come here..."

<Drive thru order taker> "Would you like a hot apple pie made with red apples added to your meal today?"

<Skombolis> "GAHHH!... What is THE DEAL HERE? NO, I do NOT want a hot red apple pie... wAiT?...made with RED APPLES!?.. ARE YOU STALKING ME!??... Don't lie!"

<Drive thru order taker> "!!..? ummm, No sir, please drive forward to the nex..."

<Skombolis> "WAIT A MINUTE!... WHY IS THAT STAR ICON NEXT TO MY ORDER ON THE SCREEN?!!"

<Drive thru order taker> ".. You requested no salt on your fries, sir, it's a special order, hence, the um..*star icon*, as you put it...please drive forward to the nex... "

<Skombolis> "LIAR! YOU ARE A LYING LIAR! I SAID LOW SALT! YOU LIAR!"

<Drive thru order taker> "...I'm sorry, sir, I'll change that to *low salt*, please drive forward the the nex..t window, your total is $5.73"

<Skombolis> "OK ...{talking to self} "Why, oh why do I come to a place that has a *CLOWN* as a central icon? Why can't they just grow up and drop these icons?" It's almost like people worship that *CLOWN*. Thank the Jesus! I'm not like that..."

<Drive thru window attendant> "Yes sir, that'll be $5.73, would you like some ketchup with that?"

<Skombolisphobia's> "ARRRRGHHH!!...DID I ASK FOR KETCHUP! Why would you offer ketchup, UNSOLICITED, when I didn't ask you for ketchup? Don't lie! Forget it, here's your $5.73, give me my order. I've had it up to here with you lying and icon giving people. It's the same thing every time I come here, AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT."

{Later}...<Coworker to other coworkers> "Whew, that guy does the same thing every time he comes here."

<Drive thru window attendant> "At least you don't have to go to church with him like I do. He demands that I need to *confess* to him, and when I say "I don't have anything to confess to you", then he says I'm a "LIAR" and goes into a diatribe about how for the last four years I've refused to answer his questions about confessing or whatever it is he wants me to say."

<Drive thru order taker> "Yeah, he became confrontational the other day and said I was lying, and then said I was a defective and abnormal human when I told him I wasn't lying, I'm partially blind and couldn't see that it was about to rain when he asked if I could see it approaching..."

Who knows what the next phobia of Skombolis will be?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#567361 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Why don't you just be honest and admit that you want to talk about dictionary definitions?
Quite clearly we aren't talking about how atheists understand spirituality. You absolutely refuse to talk about that.
So...why can't you be honest, Skom? Everything you've written is an ode to the dictionary. It's all you feel comfortable with; it's the limits of your ability to engage in - well, in any topic I've seen you address.
If Skombolis had been properly taught how to use a dictionary, he wouldn't even be debating this.

You know this, but I've still got to point out the dictionary is a tool.

We don't have to redefine "spiritual". The definition is found in the dictionary. Let's look at the word.
Adjective: spiritual
1. Concerned with sacred matters, religion or the church
2. Concerned with or affecting the spirit or soul
3. Lacking material body, form or substance
4. Resembling or characteristic of a phantom

Noun: spiritual
1. Religious song originated by Blacks in the southern U.S.

A word definition contains descriptors or key words within the definition that are intended to lead to a deeper understanding of what that word encompasses, in meaning. How do we discover that? We use the dictionary.

The key descriptors for this purpose would be; sacred, spirit, and the entire #3 definition.

Let's look at the descriptor "sacred".
Adjective: sacred
1. Concerned with religion or religious purposes
2. Worthy of respect or dedication
3. Made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use
4. Worthy of religious veneration
5.(often followed by 'to') devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose or person

There we go. The #2 and #5 definitions applies to "spiritual" and fits within the scope we're discussing. Spiritual, to an atheist often denotes respect or dedication, and we devote the use of that word, to a single use, purpose(and in this application) it's a personal meaning.

We could probably stop here, however, let's look at "spirit".

Noun: spirit
1. The vital principle or animating force within living things
2. The general atmosphere of a place or situation and the effect that it has on people
3. A fundamental emotional and activating principle determining one's character
4. Any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
5. The state of a person's emotions (especially with regard to pleasure or dejection)
6. The intended meaning of a communication
7. Animation and energy in action or expression
8. An inclination or tendency of a certain kind

Verb: spirit
1. Infuse with spirit

Again, 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8 apply.

I don't think I need to go into what each of the above indicates, within the full scope of the enhancement they provide in understanding the word "spiritual". The word, spiritual, encompasses a broad scope in meaning. That meaning is supplied by the person using the word, and is specific to their intended use.

I mentioned the #3 definition of spiritual, let's finally look at that.

Yeah, spiritual, is certainly lacking material form, body or substance. It's a state of mind, a thought, an emotion. Feeling.

Yeah, "spiritual" goes beyond the rigid "supernatural" meaning for theists, atheists understand it goes far beyond that rigid theistic understanding.

So, spiritual, to an atheist, is not limited to a "supernatural' meaning as dictated by theists. Nor is the word and its meaning denied to atheists.

The word, "Spiritual", is available to all humans. It is an emotion or state of being and deep appreciation for whatever evokes that feeling within us happens to be, and can mean many things to many people. It is not defined by only what theists say it can mean.

It's simple to see, when a dictionary is used properly, it enriches what we do understand about the words we use.

(Definitions from WordWeb Pro 6.6)

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#567362 Aug 3, 2013
The Deity Survey

1. How did you find out about your Deity?
More than one is acceptable.
___ Newspaper
___ Bible
___ Torah
___ Book of Mormon
___ Koran
___ Divine inspiration
___ Tabloid
___ Burning shrubbery
___ Other (specify):________

2. Which model Deity did you acquire?***
___ Yahweh
___ Father, Son & Holy Ghost [Trinity Pak]
___ Jehovah
___ Jesus
___ Krishna
___ Zeus and entourage [Olympus Pak]
___ Odin and entourage [Valhalla Pak]
___ Allah
___ Satan
___ God 1.0a (hairy thunderer)
___ God 1.0b (cosmic love muffin)
___ None of the above; I was taken in by a false god.

3. Did your Deity come to you undamaged, with all parts in good working order and with no obvious breakage or missing attributes?
Please indicate all that apply:
___ Not eternal
___ Finite in space/Does not occupy or inhabit the entire cosmos
___ Not omniscient
___ Not omnipotent
___ Not infinitely plastic (incapable of being all things to all creations)
___ Permits sex outside of marriage
___ Prohibits sex outside of marriage
___ Makes mistakes (Pope Benedict, George Bush)
___ Makes or permits bad things to happen to good people
___ When beseeched, doesn't stay beseeched
___ Requires burnt offerings
___ Requires virgin sacrifices
___ Plays dice with the universe
___ Smites indiscriminately
___ Aloof and detached (Appears as if non existent)

4. What factors were relevant in your decision to acquire a Deity?
Please check all that apply.
___ Indoctrinated by parents
___ Needed a reason to live
___ Indoctrinated by society
___ Needed focus in on whom to despise
___ Imaginary friend grew up, we're roommates
___ Wanted to know Jesus in the Biblical sense
___ Graduated from the tooth fairy
___ Hate to think for myself
___ Wanted to meet girls/boys
___ Fear of death
___ Wanted to piss off parents
___ Needed a day away from work
___ Desperate need for certainty
___ Like organ music
___ Need to feel morally superior
___ Thought Jerry Falwell was cool
___ My shrubbery caught fire and told me to do it
___ After Santa was debunked, I had to cling to something

5.In five lines or less, please describe what makes your Deity different than the rest.(Be descriptive)

***Most deities were not included due to space constraints. Add your deity if need be.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567364 Aug 3, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =icmTJuxI5dcXX
Dude.

That was freakin awesome.

I loved his "sure used to be" speech.

I'm saving that one.

Thank you, Lacez.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#567366 Aug 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
What is that? Some fantasy of yours sister clownie? hahaha
you don't know your @ss from a hole in the ground Aura! but I like you... LOL

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567367 Aug 3, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course not but you realize that all of my romantic relationships involve two women, right?
Ya. So?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

#567368 Aug 3, 2013
Later folks, I've been meandering across N.C. for the past week or so. A vacation of sorts I guess you could say. I camped in Croaton National Forest(always wanted to) last night and had to jump to the store and grab a couple things, so I found a wifi hot spot, thought I'd look in.

I'll see you when I see you. later.

<adds *dictionary* to the Skombolis list of phobias and obsessions>

Fennario

#567369 Aug 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with you on all points here except one.
CCC cosmology isn't a multiverse theory, it is rather an offshoot of the oscillating universe branded "cyclic" but specifically a scalar transition of the universe after all matter and energy has moved into infinity. Here is his latest lecture.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =A7ZvVkboMfYXX
Penrose is brilliant but cosmologists are strange, and me saying that about the mentors I emulate is kinda strange too.
In fact even the ones that are more conservative are kinda strange, I know I say this at my own peril. lol
Thanks for that.

I read your link, and I noted that Penrose was referring to a Bang-Crunch hypothesis, which is why I commented that "I think the Penrose data supports the multiverse hypothesis as well as a bang crunch hypothesis." Thanks for providing that, by the way.

The oscillating universe cosmogeny scenario is in trouble now that it has been shown that universal expansion is accelerating. Unless that slows and reverses, this universe will never be a singularity again.

Another interpretation of the the concentric circles in the WMAP data - the variations in the anisotropies in the CMB that produce those circles - is that they represent some kind of umbilical scar following the budding of our universe from the multiverse.

Location hidden

#567371 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No, they are the only species the Borg can't assimilate. They aren't from our universe.
Oh right. They force humans force humans to be part of them right, not the other way around?

I was not a Star Trek fan growing up, much more of a Star Wars fan, but did watch some episodes. And I liked the ones about the Borg. Some of the stuff seemed kinda cheesy to me but stuff like that I thought was really good. Like invasion of the Body Snatchers good or like Hitchcock or Twilight zone good. Star Trek was really hit or miss to me but the good stuff was really good

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567372 Aug 3, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I remember that one. I'm looking forward to many marathons.
If I can get Voyager as cheap as I got TNG I might get it soon too.
Voyager was a great show. Janeway would make a cool, fair boss.

How cheap did you get it?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567373 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh oh...now you did it
Catcher is going to prance over and sissy slap you when you aren't looking!
Nah, just kidding. He just is going to start looking even harder for typos!
LOL
He won't find any from me.

I never mispell.

Location hidden

#567374 Aug 3, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>If Skombolis had been properly taught how to use a dictionary, he wouldn't even be debating this.
You know this, but I've still got to point out the dictionary is a tool.
We don't have to redefine "spiritual". The definition is found in the dictionary. Let's look at the word.
Adjective: spiritual
2. Concerned with or affecting the spirit or soul
4. Resembling or characteristic of a phantom
Noun: spiritual
1. Religious song originated by Blacks in the southern U.S.
A word definition contains descriptors or key words within the definition that are intended to lead to a deeper understanding of what that word encompasses, in meaning. How do we discover that? We use the dictionary.
The key descriptors for this purpose would be; sacred, spirit, and the entire #3 definition.
Let's look at the descriptor "sacred".
Adjective: sacred
1. Concerned with religion or religious purposes
2. Worthy of respect or dedication
3. Made or declared or believed to be holy; devoted to a deity or some religious ceremony or use
4. Worthy of religious veneration
5.(often followed by 'to') devoted exclusively to a single use, purpose or person
There we go. The #2 and #5 definitions applies to "spiritual" and fits within the scope we're discussing. Spiritual, to an atheist often denotes respect or dedication, and we devote the use of that word, to a single use, purpose(and in this application) it's a personal meaning.

So, spiritual, to an atheist, is not limited to a "supernatural' meaning as dictated by theists. Nor is the word and its meaning denied to atheists.
The word, "Spiritual", is available to all humans. It is an emotion or state of being and deep appreciation for whatever evokes that feeling within us happens to be, and can mean many things to many people. It is not defined by only what theists say it can mean.
It's simple to see, when a dictionary is used properly, it enriches what we do understand about the words we use.
(Definitions from WordWeb Pro 6.6)
LOL, such a dummy

You can't take part of a definition and then claim all the definitions for that word are interchangeable with the original word

You took this definition

Omitted the description of religion or the church which shows that is how it is using sacred, then took ALL the definition from sacred and are claiming that makes them interchangeable with spiritual!

LOL, you really are retarded!

I know i have been ignoring you for months and you keep posting to me but i had to answer this one!

I was going to pull some random words and take their definitions to illustrate how ridiculous it is but it doesn't require examples because what you did is so stupid!

Fennario

#567375 Aug 3, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Tsk...Tsk... Are you telling a Truth?...I don't post horoscopes....And LW doesn't post Chinese cookie fortunes....
A truth? Call it a parable.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 min ChristineM 444,053
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min RainbowLength 853,152
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Gods r Delusions ... 595,714
Fondling my nipples drives me wild (Dec '14) 9 min Wild Princess 8
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 12 min Knock off purse s... 6,104
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 16 min RiccardoFire 5,766
Computer THREATS DISAPPEARING from Topix!: un F... 16 min who 19
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Jac 100,635
The Christian Atheist debate 12 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 726
More from around the web