“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567277 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
And I posted the definitions in response to this request from you:
RR said:
"Before I can properly respond, I need you to do something for me.
Define the word correctly."
So please tell me how my posting the definitions was me deflecting or me not being specific?
Because you posted like 10 definitions.

From a single source.

And didn't specify to which definition you were referring.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#567278 Aug 3, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Skom..
Yes, That's what bothers me the most about Lucy. If anyone knows how I am towards unbelievers..It would be you. I usually get attacked for my compassion and understanding that I have towards them but Lucy claims to be one way in a few conversations and then tries to flip it around just to condemn a believer. I hate condemnation and I probably shouldn't have been so harsh on her but as you well know, She was part of our FB family and she was happy to be there as LONG as she was getting a lot of self pity and attention. But as soon as someone told her what she probably needed to hear instead of what she wanted to hear, She went berserk and considered ALL of us a bunch of traitors. She is trying to make it look as if we deserted her ONLY because she left the faith but that is not so. I rarely choose sides on topix. I like to be friendly and talk to believers as well as unbelievers. She just wallowed around in her own self pity long enough to get exactly what she wanted and I gave her what she was looking for. I hope you have a nice day Skom.
Yes, you are known for being very fair to those who don't believe

Some (like me-smiles) have even felt at times you give them too much leeway given the nasty things they have said about believers. But it is a point i can't actually argue Biblically because we are supposed to love our neighbor. And i have never believed that not being grouped with unbelievers means we can't have friends who are unbelievers. Heck, how would anyone ever be converted if that was the case? I think it just means just let yourself be counted among the people that have rejected Christ. Being friends with unbelievers doesn't mean we have abandoned our faith

I don't know what went on over on FB as it was before my time but I know you would not have an issue with her over her unbelief. Especially if it was genuine

(T) Peace

Since: Sep 12

Location hidden

#567279 Aug 3, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Her and Darwin were made for each other. I think they both found who they've been looking for..........
They can try to out azzhole each other all day long on topix........
Oh NO..We cant have but ONE Darwin. LOL. I cant speak for him but it is quite obvious that she fell for him and I am viewing this from a womens perspective. How can someone fall for someone by the words typed on a screen remains a mystery to me!! Oh well. I wish them well.:)

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567280 Aug 3, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:

When you carry water for the church, you are facilitating its intolerance, which is greatest against atheists and gays. We have no duty to tolerate that. Intolerance for irrational, hateful, and destructive intolerance is a good thing.
When your church ceases doing those things, I'll bet we cease resisting it. And I'll bet that that won't happen until that church is sufficiently diminished by harsh criticism and ridicule that it can no longer affect public policy or perceptions.
You know, when you keep saying things like 'the church', you're still sounding extremely bigoted?

I've tried explaining to you that most churches out there have good people in them and do goods things for their neighborhoods and do not teach hate or intolerance.

SOME churches, like WBC, should rightfully be shut down because of the hate the preach.

Why can't you focus on any particular church? Why must you condemn all for the acts of few?

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#567281 Aug 3, 2013
(((The Son of God))))/// Music Ministry\\\

"What heart could hold the weight of Your love
And know the heights of Your great worth
What eyes could look on Your glorious face
Shining like the sun
What heart could hold the weight of Your love
And know the heights of Your great worth
What eyes could look on Your glorious face
Shining like the sun

You are holy, holy, holy
God most high and God most worthy
You are holy, holy, holy
Jesus, You are
Jesus, You are"

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#567282 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
Catch, can we pleeeeeaaaase get off Topix and go back to table tennis?!?
I would play, but I have table tennis elbow.

----

Great work in the thread today.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567283 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:

The church I attend has never done anything but promote love thy neighbor and have never suggested any action be taken against someone who is gay. It has never singled out homosexuality as a sin but teaches all sin is wrong. I personally would vote for gay marriage because I don't feel religious beliefs should be legislated. I would not want another religion doing that to me. But your problem is you think you know what every church teaches and every Christian thinks and conveniently label it all as "church" to justify your bigotry
Well said. IANS has painted himself into a corner with all his "the church" references.

It seems as though he has an extreme dislike for everything Christian, sees a few examples of bad Christians or bad Christianity and labels us all and every church the same.

To me, it's just as bad as some racist ass saying something like "all blacks are criminals".

I don't think he gets that.

Location hidden

#567284 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Because you weren't and still aren't being specific.
It's like asking you what's your favorite color and you post a link to a rainbow and say "all of them".
??

It is not even close to that

What my favorite definition of spiritual is or which one I feel applies to me has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone else is using the word "spiritual" properly. And for them to be using it properly, it would have to fall under one of those definitions

Just because I may use one of the definitions as my main one wouldn't invalidate that the other definitions are still a valid way to use the word so how could i exclude them?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it?
If we were staying on point it would be
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So then 10% of the population can have non-supernatural spiritual experiences, yes?
??

NO

What definition of spiritual would you be applying?
<quoted text>
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I think this is the crux right here.
Why are you limiting a spiritual experience to supernatural forces?
I am limiting the definition of spiritual to how it is defined in a dictionary

How do you decide how words are defined?

And should using a word incorrectly change the meaning?

Or should a few people deciding to redefine a word on their own mean the rest of the world should now accept a new definition of the word? What if i get 4 other people to agree with me that pizza should now mean ceiling fan? Is it reasonable i expect others to include that definition?

Spiritual is either about supernatural or ecclesiastical things

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567285 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
He would have had to have sex for that to happen
You are giving him more credit than I would
:)
Lol

Naw, he's just avoiding it.

That's fine with me, the thought is implanted in his mind.

I'm good with that.

Location hidden

#567286 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Well said. IANS has painted himself into a corner with all his "the church" references.
It seems as though he has an extreme dislike for everything Christian, sees a few examples of bad Christians or bad Christianity and labels us all and every church the same.
To me, it's just as bad as some racist ass saying something like "all blacks are criminals".
I don't think he gets that.
I agree. It is the exact same thing done in the exact same way

He uses "church" as way to try to disguise his bigotry. He uses individual examples as a way to justify it

He doesn't like what some individual Christians have done and uses it as an excuse to broadbrush all Christians

Bigotry, racism, and the like are all based on the same basic components

Ignorance, hate, fear, and stereotyping

(T) Peace

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567287 Aug 3, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I would play, but I have table tennis elbow.
----
Great work in the thread today.
This reminds me....

Back in high school, I had a teacher that was an avid table tennis player. I think he was on a league and everything lol.

Anyway, it used to piss him off so bad when we'd call it ping pong. He hated that and would always correct us, "It's not ping pong, dammit!!"

Lol, so what'd we do? Call it ping pong all the time.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567288 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
??
It is not even close to that
What my favorite definition of spiritual is or which one I feel applies to me has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not someone else is using the word "spiritual" properly. And for them to be using it properly, it would have to fall under one of those definitions
Just because I may use one of the definitions as my main one wouldn't invalidate that the other definitions are still a valid way to use the word so how could i exclude them?
<quoted text>
If we were staying on point it would be
<quoted text>
??
NO
What definition of spiritual would you be applying?
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I am limiting the definition of spiritual to how it is defined in a dictionary
How do you decide how words are defined?
And should using a word incorrectly change the meaning?
Or should a few people deciding to redefine a word on their own mean the rest of the world should now accept a new definition of the word? What if i get 4 other people to agree with me that pizza should now mean ceiling fan? Is it reasonable i expect others to include that definition?
Spiritual is either about supernatural or ecclesiastical things
Spirituality is basically having to do with something affecting the human spirit, mind or soul as opposed to the material or physical.

Agree?

Location hidden

#567289 Aug 3, 2013
<quoted text>
You're wrong again. I did just what you said I didn't do, and I have already told you that I did.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Your ability to discern, analyze and assimilate information is ghastly.
<quoted text>
You make far too many errors to be so assertive and aggressive. I think that your religion is responsible in large part. You sound like a preacher.
Yes you posted it one time and then went into total denial that you did anything wrong

And the three times after that you made sure to leave this part out

"And if you think what you're doing does anything other then make those that you've targeted laugh at how pitiful you are then you're more delusional then I thought. So don't sit there puffing yourself up thinking you and you're ilk are doing anything new because your not. And for sure don't go puffing up your ego thinking you're anything original that's doing something that hasn't been done many times before, and long before you got here, by people much smarter and much more witty then you'll ever be."

NOBODY could honesty say he was complaing about being picked on after reading that. Which is why you left it out the first time to make his post look like it was saying something it wasn't

You gotta learn when you are caught and just give it up. Any chance for believing it may have been a mistake vanishes with your denial of the blatantly obvious

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567290 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. It is the exact same thing done in the exact same way
He uses "church" as way to try to disguise his bigotry. He uses individual examples as a way to justify it
He doesn't like what some individual Christians have done and uses it as an excuse to broadbrush all Christians
Bigotry, racism, and the like are all based on the same basic components
Ignorance, hate, fear, and stereotyping
(T) Peace
Correct.

IANS? What say you to this post of Skom's? Have you learned anything?

Location hidden

#567291 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol
Naw, he's just avoiding it.
That's fine with me, the thought is implanted in his mind.
I'm good with that.
:)

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#567292 Aug 3, 2013
<quoted text>
Why do you think that that is the case? Why are you so certain that these Christians aren't representative of Christianity?
Besides, they aren't really the problem. The church is. Is there any doubt that it promotes atheophobia and homophobia?
<quoted text>
Do you think that means that I should modify my opinion of the church or how to deal with it?
No It means it wont qualify as a scientific study, because you cannot enforce any controls.
Therefore the results aren't valid.
But it is probably useful in showing human nature.

Location hidden

#567293 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Spirituality is basically having to do with something affecting the human spirit, mind or soul as opposed to the material or physical.
Agree?
I would agree it has something to do with the human soul or spirit

I would say the mind is simply how we process it

But yeah, basically i agree

But someone would have to believe they have a soul or a spirit to feel they had such an experience right?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#567294 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
This reminds me....
Back in high school, I had a teacher that was an avid table tennis player. I think he was on a league and everything lol.
Anyway, it used to piss him off so bad when we'd call it ping pong. He hated that and would always correct us, "It's not ping pong, dammit!!"
Lol, so what'd we do? Call it ping pong all the time.
Did you ever play Beer Table Tennis?

Hey, I finally got TNG on DVD. I just won the auction a few minutes ago. I got the silver box set which looks the best.

I can't remember how to contact species 8472. Maybe they had something like a dog whistle on Voyager.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#567295 Aug 3, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Skombolis wrote:
The second-person narrative is a narrative mode in which the protagonist or another main character is referred to by employment of second-person personal pronouns and other kinds of addressing forms, for example the English second-person pronoun "you".
This is not narrative fiction:

"The purpose of narration is to tell a story or to narrate an event or series of events. Narrative may exist in a variety of forms, including biographies, anecdotes, short stories and novels. In this context, all written fiction may be viewed as narration." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narrative_mode

Your comment is not germane. But it was plagiarized.
Skombolis wrote:
Example: You are not the kind of guy who would be at a place like this at this time of the morning. But here you are, and you cannot say that the terrain is entirely unfamiliar, although the details are fuzzy.—Opening lines of Jay McInerney's Bright Lights, Big City (1984) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second-person_na...
That's an example of narrative fiction, typical of the private eye genre of fiction by writers like Dashiell Hammett, and of the film noir genre of cinema.

What I am doing is not fiction, nor narrating.

It is, however, written in the second person. It is written directly to you using the word "you," but not for your benefit.
Skombolis wrote:
"Second Person--The speaker is talking about the person he or she is talking to, or telling a story from the reader's perspective (such as in the Choose-Your-Own-Adventure books). The pronoun used is "you" for subjects and "you" or "yourself" or "yourselves") for direct and indirect objects. "
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
You're supporting my argument with this. I am talking about you to others by addressing you, which you can ascertain by my use of second person singular pronouns.
Skombolis wrote:
Not only the reading audience becomes the subject, but it also has to be directed at the person you are writing to
The reading audience is not the subject. You are.
Skombolis wrote:
So if you are writing to me, you would have to making me the subject and speaking as if me for it to be second person.
If I were "speaking as if [you]", I would use the first person.
Skombolis wrote:
And if you use my post to talk to someone else, that you would have to make them the subject and write as if you were them
How bizarre. This is really quite a simple topic, and you aren't even close to understanding it. The subject of my discussions with you is the church, with you serving as an example. The subject of the sentences is often "you" or "I," and often some abstraction, object or process.

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#567296 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes I'm serious.
It has happened and is still happening.
I believe that Satan planted the seed back in '62.
It takes time for seeds to grow.....
I'm at a loss for words.

Where does personal responsibility come in?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 4 min Wisdom of Ages 37,025
672,000 gallons of oil spilled off Louisiana co... 8 min Freakenstein 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min kent 688,755
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min NotSoDivineSmS 988,492
The American Dream is DEAD DEAD DEAD. 23 min Erratic Mind 8
Donald Trump is the new fake political project 29 min Freakenstein 3
___End Time ISRAEL -- 2017 FOREWARNINGS___ 55 min YTube Sept 2017 1
More from around the web