Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#567199 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Good points. I don't know which to respond to first.
America IS a great country and in my opinion the best country in the world.
I feel saddened and ashamed of the breakdown of the American family structure that was so solid for two centuries.
I've been divorced. I'm Christian. WTF?
My brother knocked his gf up then got married at their church, "before God", when she was nine months pregnant. He's a Christian. WTF?
My other brother leeches of the govt payroll by having more and more kids that he can't pay for. He's a Christian. WTF?
My other brother is a borderline pedophile bastard. He's a Christian. WTF?
This kind of stuff happens to a LOT of Christian, American families.
I think we are all the growing plant that was seeded by Satan, which had a profound turning point in 1962.
Uhm...ok. My comments:

First, you didn't actually address the majority of my post. That's ok, but I want it to be clear that I, very strongly, suggested other, sophisticated and complex causes for the problems America is currently facing.

Second, what is not-Christian about getting divorced? Are you supposed to remain in an unhappy marriage just b/c you're a Christian? That doesn't make sense to me. Are you telling me that your deity either wants you to be perfect in picking out your wife, or He wants you to suffer?

Third, I fail to see what is not-Christian about getting married while pregnant. Is this honestly an issue? Does your brother feel guilty about that? Did he have to carry out some ritual cleansing or something?

4th...Uhm...sorry to hear about your other brother. I hope the people he's attracted to are of legal age. Pedophile to me means, like, pre-pubescent. I'm hoping that's not what you meant, but you just meant "post-pubescent, but not quite legal. And he doesn't do anything bad."

5th. Very sorry to hear you using Satan as a concrete explanatory device and not as a metaphor.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#567200 Aug 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:

Wordsworth lived a very long life, into his 90s i believe.
Topix Spell Check Police here.

You forgot the apostrophe in "90's" and you used a lower case i instead of capitalizing it.

Topix Spell Check Police out.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#567201 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't you just be honest and admit that you want to talk about dictionary definitions?
Quite clearly we aren't talking about how atheists understand spirituality. You absolutely refuse to talk about that.
So...why can't you be honest, Skom? Everything you've written is an ode to the dictionary. It's all you feel comfortable with; it's the limits of your ability to engage in - well, in any topic I've seen you address.
If you were being honest you would give an example

But it how you debate. You avoid, change the subject, pretend you didn't understand, etc

I am gonna make sure this time you can't do that

so....

How can we talk about whether this situation constitutes making up a definition if you refuse to tell me how you define that?
So..an example...please

If you want to know looking back where the final nail in the coffin was, it was this post. But really, you started off with only one nail missing in the first place. I mean who actually argues their made-up definition is right and the dictionary is wrong?

Its insane. But the denial and pride (for some reason) plays a big role its seems

Some stable somewhere

#567202 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, we'll play. But only if the swelling has gone down...
<quoted text>
Yes, you really have spiritual experiences.
How do I know that? You just told me you do.
Keep in mind that some Christians only think what is spiritual must be from God. I don't understand that mentality, either.
I've been spiritually moved by music, art, plant & animal life and I've been spiritually moved by God Himself.
I totally understand what you & Catch are saying that you have your own version of what spiritually moved you.
I gotta say, it does please me that you have found some sort of spirituality. I think that's great.
<quoted text>
ooo la la
<quoted text>
Yup.
<quoted text>
I can't answer for Skom and neither can you.
Skom?
Beautiful - thank you, sir. Empathy, patience, kindness, all in one post.

Delightfully, no pettiness.

And bless you :)

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567203 Aug 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
All you show is that your family is all f*cked up.
Not everybody is.
You just have to accept responsibility, and not blame it on that Satan dude.
You make me laugh, you know.
Really, I mean it.
I didn't say that everybody is, I said a LOT of families are like that nowadays.

Where's your wife, Catch? You know, the mother of your son?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#567204 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
i didn't downplay anything
The simnply am not allowing you to change the subject
And the subject here is whether or not you have made up your own definition for a word
You have
And you know it
It is why you claim you haven't but won't give me an example of what making up a definition of a word would be. because anything you say would be exactly what you have done
I am arguing with someone trying to tell me dictionaries don't define words
Topix...gotta love it
Can you imagine the stupidity of a person thinking they can limit the meaning of a word to one definition ?

The hypocrisy is astounding , remember saying this?

"LOL, what? So now not only you only use it when talking about scientific theory, you have just dictated nobody else can use it except for that too? Somebody better call Websters and let them know some idiot online has cancelled out 3 of their definitions! "

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

Definition of SPIRITUAL

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spi...

Some of you people are unbelievably daft.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567205 Aug 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
All you show is that your family is all f*cked up.
Not everybody is.
You just have to accept responsibility, and not blame it on that Satan dude.
You make me laugh, you know.
Really, I mean it.
And you know, I'm glad that you think divorce, pregnancy out if wedlock, etc is "all f*cked up".

There's hope for you yet.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567206 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that when IANS was born?
:)
Although personally I think people do it to themselves. That's the irony of it. The devil doesn't actually have do anything. Left to our own devices we are quite capable of destroying ourselves and often do.
Good point.

And we're doing a good job at bad morals, aren't we.

Some stable somewhere

#567207 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
No, it simply provided the words we can use to describe them
You for some crazy reason have picked a word that doesn't apply to your situation
You can try to get all melodramatic and claim I am downplaying fields or act like someone is trying to limit life or experiences or any other such nonsense
You are using a word incorrectly.
And you and four other people who decided to do that doesn't actually change its definition
It's that simple
Forget it, Skom. I can't simplify these points for you. You're never going to understand. It's apparently far beyond your abilities.

It doesn't really matter what you think of social science or social scientists. We don't care.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#567208 Aug 3, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>kiss this Aura (_o_)
What is that? Some fantasy of yours sister clownie? hahaha

Location hidden

#567209 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, we'll play. But only if the swelling has gone down...
<quoted text>
Yes, you really have spiritual experiences.
How do I know that? You just told me you do.
Keep in mind that some Christians only think what is spiritual must be from God. I don't understand that mentality, either.
I've been spiritually moved by music, art, plant & animal life and I've been spiritually moved by God Himself.
I totally understand what you & Catch are saying that you have your own version of what spiritually moved you.
I gotta say, it does please me that you have found some sort of spirituality. I think that's great.
<quoted text>
ooo la la
<quoted text>
Yup.
<quoted text>
I can't answer for Skom and neither can you.
Skom?
I answered already. Its called the dictionary

You understand they don't really believe they had an actual spiritual experience right?

They simply have changed the meaning of the word to fit their definition. So why would you be happy they had some sort of spiritual experience when it doesn't mean what you think it does?

Do you honestly believe they are saying they felt some sort of connection to the supernatural or the unseen?

Maybe your desire to see something that isn't there is making you want to root for this. I can understand you would want them to be capable of having some sort of spiritual experience because that would be a move in the right direction. But they don't believe in the supernatural so naturally they don't feel they had a supernatural experience

So no, they didn't have a spiritual experience of sorts. They didn't have a spiritual experience at all. And that is based on their own beliefs. They don't think they did either. Not if you define the word correctly

Some stable somewhere

#567210 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were being honest you would give an example
But it how you debate. You avoid, change the subject, pretend you didn't understand, etc
I am gonna make sure this time you can't do that
so....
How can we talk about whether this situation constitutes making up a definition if you refuse to tell me how you define that?
So..an example...please
If you want to know looking back where the final nail in the coffin was, it was this post. But really, you started off with only one nail missing in the first place. I mean who actually argues their made-up definition is right and the dictionary is wrong?
Its insane. But the denial and pride (for some reason) plays a big role its seems
No. I've tried to explain it to you above over and over. No point in continuing.

We were, Skom, using an example, and that example was of spirituality. You apparently didn't get that and demanded some other example - well, I'm not interested in discussing the limitations of dictionaries with you. I've already explained them above, used better sources to explain human spirituality to you, and it was all quite beyond you.

You're stuck arguing trying to force human experience into dictionary definitions. Good luck with that.

Some stable somewhere

#567211 Aug 3, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know, I'm glad that you think divorce, pregnancy out if wedlock, etc is "all f*cked up".
There's hope for you yet.
All families are screwed up, RR. Every last one.

Location hidden

#567212 Aug 3, 2013
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you imagine the stupidity of a person thinking they can limit the meaning of a word to one definition ?
The hypocrisy is astounding , remember saying this?
"LOL, what? So now not only you only use it when talking about scientific theory, you have just dictated nobody else can use it except for that too? Somebody better call Websters and let them know some idiot online has cancelled out 3 of their definitions! "
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Definition of SPIRITUAL
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spi...
Some of you people are unbelievably daft.
I never said a word had to be limited to one definition. Some words can have many definitions

And your example was simply another case of you not understanding how a word is actually defined

You thought theory was limited to just science by definition. You were wrong

And now you are using the word spiritually wrong according to definition

There is no hypocrisy at all. You were simply wrong both times and i pointed it out

You sure do love trying to avoid the actual issue though don't you?

Please give me an example of what someone making up their own definition for words would be

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#567213 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Please give me an example of what would be someone making up their own definition of a word
You have avoided this several times already
Any example will be fine
How can we talk about whether this situation constitutes that if you refuse to tell me how you define that situation
So..an example...please
Take your pick...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/popular.php...

Location hidden

#567214 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I've tried to explain it to you above over and over. No point in continuing.
LOL,

Like i had been saying all along, you wouldn't answer because any example you gave of what someone making up their own definition would be exactly what you and four other people have done!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567215 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:

First, you didn't actually address the majority of my post. That's ok, but I want it to be clear that I, very strongly, suggested other, sophisticated and complex causes for the problems America is currently facing.
I know, and I think they all stem from something bigger, the loss of God in American hearts and minds.

Whether real or not, God influences people's thoughts and actions.

Without God, America is turning into a nation of slums, single parents, broken homes, drug addicts, greed and narcissism.

Me no likey.
Second, what is not-Christian about getting divorced? Are you supposed to remain in an unhappy marriage just b/c you're a Christian? That doesn't make sense to me. Are you telling me that your deity either wants you to be perfect in picking out your wife, or He wants you to suffer?
Third, I fail to see what is not-Christian about getting married while pregnant. Is this honestly an issue? Does your brother feel guilty about that? Did he have to carry out some ritual cleansing or something?
4th...Uhm...sorry to hear about your other brother. I hope the people he's attracted to are of legal age. Pedophile to me means, like, pre-pubescent. I'm hoping that's not what you meant, but you just meant "post-pubescent, but not quite legal. And he doesn't do anything bad."
A marriage is supposed to be forever, aside from death and adultery. This is why people used to 'court' for years before having sex and before getting married, to be sure that they won't part and break a marriage that was sanctified before God.

Getting married while pregnant? You don't understand? It's supposed to be:
Meet
Date
Court
Marry
THEN have kids.

I haven't spoken to that brother in five or six years. I'm not even sure where he lives or what he's doing. I don't care.
5th. Very sorry to hear you using Satan as a concrete explanatory device and not as a metaphor.
Sorry?

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#567216 Aug 3, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Aura.
That didn't quite add up to 2 cents.
Why did it offend you catcher?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567217 Aug 3, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Beautiful - thank you, sir. Empathy, patience, kindness, all in one post.
Delightfully, no pettiness.
And bless you :)
WTF? No hug?

Still swollen, huh?

It's ok.

Next time

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#567218 Aug 3, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I answered already. Its called the dictionary
You understand they don't really believe they had an actual spiritual experience right?
They simply have changed the meaning of the word to fit their definition. So why would you be happy they had some sort of spiritual experience when it doesn't mean what you think it does?
Do you honestly believe they are saying they felt some sort of connection to the supernatural or the unseen?
Maybe your desire to see something that isn't there is making you want to root for this. I can understand you would want them to be capable of having some sort of spiritual experience because that would be a move in the right direction. But they don't believe in the supernatural so naturally they don't feel they had a supernatural experience
So no, they didn't have a spiritual experience of sorts. They didn't have a spiritual experience at all. And that is based on their own beliefs. They don't think they did either. Not if you define the word correctly
Before I can properly respond, I need you to do something for me.

Define the word correctly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 5 min UMORONRACEUMAKEWO... 2,617
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min UMORONRACEUMAKEWO... 119,218
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Michael 679,163
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr Rider on the Storm 184,831
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr waaasssuuup 445,838
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr Peter Ross 6,269
Iranian Brother & Sister wanted For FRAUD!!! 5 hr Bella Esmail Moore 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 21 hr UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 982,141
More from around the web