#565160 Jul 31, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Morning.....:-)
“There is only one corner of the universe
you can be certain of improving,
and that’s your own self.”
~ Aldous Huxley
Thought for the Day
Nice! Huxley was a noted atheist at a time when that wasn't fashionable. He wrote:

"You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, intelligent enough."

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#565161 Jul 31, 2013
FOOD FOR THOUGHT

I think it is easier for people to subscribe to an idea like the Big Bang because the universe is so vast that it makes it more of a conceptual focus than looking at the practical odds or all the things it includes. People IMO don't seem to focus on just how many different things would have had to happen or at least the main focus isn't those things. It is almost an idea we don't apply to the era we live in and how it effected that and more a concept left at its origin. Yes that is when it occurred, if it id, but it is easier to grasp the idea that something formed from nothing compared how some "something" was formed.

So I thought scaling it down might help the focus. How about instead of the entire universe we were to take just one place on Earth? Let's say DisneyLand. Just picking a well-known place that has a lot of the elements i want for the analogy.

What is someone asked, when was Disneyland built? And the answer was:

"It wasn't built. There used to be nothing here. But millions of years ago there was some type of implosion in the air and this little speck of life formed. Over millions of years matter, guided by no intelligent thought, pulled itself together and formed all the rides.(If moons, stars, planets, quasars, etc can form themselves, this should be a fair enough analogy). Also this little microscopic speck of life that was created from non-life fell into water that I guess I always existed. It kept evolving and evolving until it was able to crawl out of the water. And after untold numbers of evolution cycles, it turned into man. I guess it also turned into women at the exact same rate. It also split off into different specks. Millions of them, all life forming from life. And all the specks became the millions of different species we see today. And again, all the males and females evolved fortuitously at the exact same rate

So water and matter already existed, but we don't know how. And matter pulled itself together into perfectly functioning systems like the rides. And all the animals and people in Disney land originated from a speck of life that formed out of nowhere from non-life from some mysterious implosion in the air

How believable would it be that Disneyland formed on its own, with everything in working order and all sorts of different animals and people? Yet not only people accept this on a scale a million times bigger, they find the idea of a creator to be preposterous, even though all life as we know it has been created from some other form of life and we have never seen life form from non-life

This isn't meant to be a slam. It is simply meant to say, is the idea of a creator really so far-fetched? Especially when compared to the alternate explanation?

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#565162 Jul 31, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't worry, my expectations are not high...
I would have used Luke 4:12 personally.
That is more about people who already believe. But basically the same idea

“Old School Granny ”

Since: Jul 07

Location hidden

#565164 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
I think it is easier for people to subscribe to an idea like the Big Bang because the universe is so vast that it makes it more of a conceptual focus than looking at the practical odds or all the things it includes. People IMO don't seem to focus on just how many different things would have had to happen or at least the main focus isn't those things. It is almost an idea we don't apply to the era we live in and how it effected that and more a concept left at its origin. Yes that is when it occurred, if it id, but it is easier to grasp the idea that something formed from nothing compared how some "something" was formed.
So I thought scaling it down might help the focus. How about instead of the entire universe we were to take just one place on Earth? Let's say DisneyLand. Just picking a well-known place that has a lot of the elements i want for the analogy.
"It wasn't built. There used to be nothing here. But millions of years ago there was some type of implosion in the air and this little speck of life formed. Over millions of years matter, guided by no intelligent thought, pulled itself together and formed all the rides.(If moons, stars, planets, quasars, etc can form themselves, this should be a fair enough analogy). Also this little microscopic speck of life that was created from non-life fell into water that I guess I always existed. It kept evolving and evolving until it was able to crawl out of the water. And after untold numbers of evolution cycles, it turned into man. I guess it also turned into women at the exact same rate. It also split off into different specks. Millions of them, all life forming from life. And all the specks became the millions of different species we see today. And again, all the males and females evolved fortuitously at the exact same rate
So water and matter already existed, but we don't know how. And matter pulled itself together into perfectly functioning systems like the rides. And all the animals and people in Disney land originated from a speck of life that formed out of nowhere from non-life from some mysterious implosion in the air
How believable would it be that Disneyland formed on its own, with everything in working order and all sorts of different animals and people? Yet not only people accept this on a scale a million times bigger, they find the idea of a creator to be preposterous, even though all life as we know it has been created from some other form of life and we have never seen life form from non-life
This isn't meant to be a slam. It is simply meant to say, is the idea of a creator really so far-fetched? Especially when compared to the alternate explanation?
(T) Peace
Do you know what I love best about Disney? Tis It's a Small Small World - once the music gets in your head you'll be humming it all day LOL

I love your mind Steve "Brilliant as always " TLC Judy

Since: May 11

Hersham, UK

#565166 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
FOOD FOR THOUGHT
(T) Peace
Yes it is far fetched, there is no evidence for a creator.

It is not honest to greet the issues of "I don't understand it" or "We don't know", with "Miracle goes here".

That's the mindset of the folks who wrote your bible. Don't understand the moon...god. Don't understand the seasons...god. Don't understand the tides...god.

The gaps where you think you can insert god are becoming ever smaller as scientific ignorance becomes ever smaller.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#565168 Jul 31, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO
You think a man can be The God of the Universe.
Jesus never said such nonsense.
you choose the pagan god (and/or self) that you want to worship, but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD-JESUS!:)

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#565170 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
You have used the waaambulence joke 4 times now, you are going senile
es a HUGE difference, but because you are not honest you wouldn't understand
First he repeated what you said. YOU were the one who claimed people feel "picked on". That is why he put it in quotes. He was not saying himself anybody feels picked on. It was to show people that is how YOU were defining it
Then he went on to explain the effect it is having in reality, compared to what you think
RA said:
"And if you think what you're doing does anything other then make those that you've targeted laugh at how pitiful you are then you're more delusional then I thought."
So how could anybody think from that post that someone was whining about being picked on? They couldn't. Which is why you dishonestly edited it.
Even your basics when it comes to integrity are so off. But the same pattern. You deny you did anything wrong and are incapable of seeing or admitting it, no matter how obvious
Just when your were kissifacing with all your buds, you started up again.

You just can't help yourself, can you?

Location hidden

#565172 Jul 31, 2013
Old School Granny wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know what I love best about Disney? Tis It's a Small Small World - once the music gets in your head you'll be humming it all day LOL
Hey Judy!!

Great to see you my friend

I was listening to the radio one day where they were doing a test to see how long someone could listen to that song in a row before it drove them nuts! LOL People had called in saying they were stuck on a ride where the song played on a loop for hours and now they can't stand hearing it. Part of it was because like you said, it is one of those songs that get in your head so exposure for it for too long can have a negative effect. But yeah, it is definitely a catchy song. Although probably good in smaller dosages:)
Old School Granny wrote:
<quoted text>
I love your mind Steve "Brilliant as always " TLC Judy
Thanks

(Skom tips his cap)

(T) Peace

Location hidden

#565173 Jul 31, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just when your were kissifacing with all your buds, you started up again.
You just can't help yourself, can you?
Actually he posted to me first yesterday when I started posting again

I was scrolling up reading the posts and as soon as I saw it was someone running to Ian's defense, I knew it would be ol' kissbutt Catcher before I even scrolled all the way up to confirm it!

You really can't help yourself when it comes to Ians can you?

Your internet day will be all right, he doesn't need you to defend him on every single post to him. Well..not that he can't use the help but still, have some self-respect Chester. Being another man's Topix lapdog that yips any time someone comes too close is pretty pathetic

:)

“Old School Granny ”

Location hidden

#565174 Jul 31, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
Todays prayer,
Dear god...hi. You might remember me, I'm Julian...the methodist kid from Scotland who...
...'course you remember me, you know how many hairs are on my head...allegedly.
Well as you will no doubt be aware I decided this god/religion stuff was all a bunch of malarkey when I was about 22. A lot has happened since then, really nothing to change my mind but these topix christians all seem to think that there's an on/off switch for belief and that belief is a simple act of will.
For instance I've been told it's possible to believe in you...if one just tries really hard with no additional information. The same is presumably true for any of the deities worshipped throughout history...what do you think?
So anyway here I am, asking for a sign, something...anything really. I'm not asking for wars to cease(although that would be lovely), I'm not asking for an end to suffering(some folks around here seem to need it), I'm not asking for a dull, utopian and perfect world.
I'm praying for the christians on this thread...
...to show an immediate improvement in the use of their homophones:
there, their, they're
your, you're
where, were, we're.
...it would be a start, then you could work on the rest of their cold blooded murder of the English tongue. I await your response with great anticipation.
Cheers boss.
After I read your post my first thought was --
Lord you could part the Red Sea for him and I doubt his faith and trust in You would let him walk through --

As a Christian I can assure you that should the Lord decide to touch your life with signs - they will not be mistaken - you will know without a shadow of a doubt that His miraculous power can touch any aspect of your life.

There is no trickery with God, He knows your heart and whether it is truly open to Him or not. All I can say as a witness to His wonderous ways is that when you truly step out in Faith - He can open doors no man can close, you will be left without a shadow of a doubt.

GOoD day to you sir -- TLC - OSG/Judy

Location hidden

#565175 Jul 31, 2013
Edit:

Internet daddy not day

Location hidden

#565177 Jul 31, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is far fetched, there is no evidence for a creator.
It is not honest to greet the issues of "I don't understand it" or "We don't know", with "Miracle goes here".
That's the mindset of the folks who wrote your bible. Don't understand the moon...god. Don't understand the seasons...god. Don't understand the tides...god.
The gaps where you think you can insert god are becoming ever smaller as scientific ignorance becomes ever smaller.
What new scientific evidence do you have to prove life formed from non-life and created millions of different self-replicating species?

Isn't that still at the "absolutely nothing" stage as far as proof?

Has science ever replicated forming life from non-life to give that theory any credibility?

Yet there is provable existence of life creating other life

Do you believe it is possible intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe?

“Old School Granny ”

Location hidden

#565179 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Judy!!
Great to see you my friend
I was listening to the radio one day where they were doing a test to see how long someone could listen to that song in a row before it drove them nuts! LOL People had called in saying they were stuck on a ride where the song played on a loop for hours and now they can't stand hearing it. Part of it was because like you said, it is one of those songs that get in your head so exposure for it for too long can have a negative effect. But yeah, it is definitely a catchy song. Although probably good in smaller dosages:)
<quoted text>
Thanks
(Skom tips his cap)
(T) Peace
This happened way before your time "LOL" but years ago a radio announcer in Muskegon locked himself in and played Alley Oop for hours and hours -- not sure if it was a gimmick or what -- but I will never forget that song and "YES" I despise that song teehee.

Just reading back and loved your response to Q on potential -- Sure makes for interesting reading and just wanted you guys to know I for one appreciate the content brought in.

(Granny with a curtsy) oops knee locked up LOL

TLC - Judy

Since: May 11

Hersham, UK

#565180 Jul 31, 2013
Old School Granny wrote:
<quoted text>
After I read your post my first thought was --
Lord you could part the Red Sea for him and I doubt his faith and trust in You would let him walk through --
As a Christian I can assure you that should the Lord decide to touch your life with signs - they will not be mistaken - you will know without a shadow of a doubt that His miraculous power can touch any aspect of your life.
There is no trickery with God, He knows your heart and whether it is truly open to Him or not. All I can say as a witness to His wonderous ways is that when you truly step out in Faith - He can open doors no man can close, you will be left without a shadow of a doubt.
GOoD day to you sir -- TLC - OSG/Judy
As an ex christian who came by their atheism honestly and after reading the bible many times I cannot see how anyone can escape the conclusion; that the being described in the bible(even after one discounts all of the bloodshed, rape, torture, miracles and other assorted nonsense) is actually no more than a trickster.

Someone who simply plays with their ant farm.

Good day Madam.

“A sentient umbrella speaks”

Since: Mar 11

Some stable somewhere

#565182 Jul 31, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
hi
when you are going to take brake from this nonsenses posting day and night,
look like yours lifes are in deep miseries and tragedies,only God allow all of you to keep busy on internet,
other ways all of you would commit suicide
What way would you prefer?
Bongo

Brooklyn, NY

#565183 Jul 31, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
hi
when you are going to take brake from this nonsenses posting day and night,
look like yours lifes are in deep miseries and tragedies,only God allow all of you to keep busy on internet,
other ways all of you would commit suicide
lol, you funny old flatulent bastard

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#565184 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I mean the two minute delay before the screen locks. Because if I am doing things that require me to enter prompts like calling my bank I don't want to have to keep unlocking the phone to use the keypad. Or even stuff like using it for Topix or just using the inter net in general. Its annoying to have it lock every 30 seconds (I think that's the minimum delay) because I read a message then when I want to scroll, I have to unlock the phone again.

The problem is to replace an Iphone they will charge you like $500-$600 as they don't offer Iphones as refurbs and you have to buy a new one if lost or damaged. And they also can charge quite a bit to repair a phone. I do like the features on an Iphone but the main thing is the signal. In half the places in my own house i can't maintain a signal. Plus there are like half a dozen dead zones around my house where if i drive through them, I lose the call. All the bells and whistles are nice but if I can't even use a phone to make calls it is next to useless. And since I am mainly at home or work, a lot of the extra features I don't even use. And the ones i want, like listening to local radio on the Tune-in or Iheart ap, It constantly loses the signal and has to rebuffer. My area just must just be one of their worse coverage areas, at least on the 3G network. The network my other phone was on worked everywhere, same provider.
Which iPhone?

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#565185 Jul 31, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>you choose the pagan god (and/or self) that you want to worship, but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD-JESUS!:)
You serve your pen!s why did you name it Jesus?
Bongo

Brooklyn, NY

#565186 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually he posted to me first yesterday when I started posting again
I was scrolling up reading the posts and as soon as I saw it was someone running to Ian's defense, I knew it would be ol' kissbutt Catcher before I even scrolled all the way up to confirm it!
You really can't help yourself when it comes to Ians can you?
Your internet day will be all right, he doesn't need you to defend him on every single post to him. Well..not that he can't use the help but still, have some self-respect Chester. Being another man's Topix lapdog that yips any time someone comes too close is pretty pathetic
:)
lol, you just keep on keepin them atheist bastards on their toes

Location hidden

#565188 Jul 31, 2013
Old School Granny wrote:
<quoted text>
This happened way before your time "LOL" but years ago a radio announcer in Muskegon locked himself in and played Alley Oop for hours and hours -- not sure if it was a gimmick or what -- but I will never forget that song and "YES" I despise that song teehee.
LOL, I can imagine:)
Old School Granny wrote:
Just reading back and loved your response to Q on potential -- Sure makes for interesting reading and just wanted you guys to know I for one appreciate the content brought in.
(Granny with a curtsy) oops knee locked up LOL
TLC - Judy
Yeah I thought it was an interesting question. I wonder what made Q think of it. I am going to ask him if I remember when see him as I'm curious.

Take it easy on that knee. Knee and back problems are the worst

(T) Peace

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Florida Sunshine 88,247
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 25 min Redeemed Jersey P... 996,513
Here's What's Really Behind NFL Players Taking ... (Nov '17) 57 min Flax Dung Su Yah 29
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr waaasssuuup 703,738
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 1 hr Grunt56 223,080
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 3 hr Hatti_Hollerand 2,549
mgtow 4 hr Lucifer 13