Nature makes more sense than people.
That's for sure

It is not even close IMO
UDIOTRACEMAKEWOR LDPEACE

United States

#565070 Jul 31, 2013
An NFL Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
You wipe your arse with your bare left hand,don't you, stooge?
What a war mongering Pyscho Stalker your are , you should be in a mental institution! i give you both foot in yo Zee Ass lowly right wing war mongering grunt Neocon pinhead
! WBHAHAHAHAAA

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#565071 Jul 31, 2013
Antichrist Superstar wrote:
<quoted text>Everyone is agnostic since nobody can be 100% sure about our origins.
Well...I kind of see that being the case if it was about fact not faith. Nobody can say factually with 100% certainly where we come from, if God exists, etc and we would require proof to do so

But the definitions i am used to are based on faith. A believer accepts on faith and doesn't require proof. Agnostic doesn't accept on faith and would need proof but doesn't rule out the possibility. An agnostic is content to say they don't know and barring proof, will maintain that position. And atheist says in the affirmative that there is no God and rejects anything spiritual.

Although I know there are multiple combinations as well so not trying to to limit it to just that. Just making the point that it is a question of where someone stands on faith IMO, not whether they are claiming to know things for a fact that have not been proven
Most atheists will admit that they don't know, while most theists claim to know things they have no idea about.
I know a few atheists like that as well. But no entire group can be stereotyped and Topix is hardly the place to try to do cross-sampling polls. The demographics may change but there are only a handful of different kinds of posters and when it comes to this never-ending "us" vs "them" for both sides on the issue of faith, it is hardly a situation conducive to open, civil, non-defensive dialogue.

Any doubts or even unknowns may not be things a believer is willing to share or admit given people are often looking for the smallest thing to attack to discount faith all together. For example, this verse seems to contradict this verse on a surface level, therefore the entire Bible must be fake. Topix isn't exactly the place people are going to open up to the other "side"

Its a shame the discourse almost always circles the toilet bowl instead of people actually making an effort to understand each other better. If not for moral reasons than even for practical ones as we all have to share this world

JMO

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#565072 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...I kind of see that being the case if it was about fact not faith. Nobody can say factually with 100% certainly where we come from, if God exists, etc and we would require proof to do so
But the definitions i am used to are based on faith. A believer accepts on faith and doesn't require proof. Agnostic doesn't accept on faith and would need proof but doesn't rule out the possibility. An agnostic is content to say they don't know and barring proof, will maintain that position. And atheist says in the affirmative that there is no God and rejects anything spiritual.
I disagree with you on one subtle level. An atheist would say that god doesn't exist in the same way you'd say bigfoot or garden pixies don't exist. Do you need faith to claim there are no supernatural gnomes tending your garden? No, you just need a logical thought process. Christians make a big mistake when they put belief and unbelief in unproven claims on the same level. If you disagree with that, I'd like to see you prove that bigfoot doesn't exist. Are you agnostic in regards to everything you can't disprove?

The logical position is to disbelieve fantastical claims unless they're presented with strong evidence. Threatening unbelievers with hell doesn't meet that criteria.
Skombolis wrote:
Although I know there are multiple combinations as well so not trying to to limit it to just that. Just making the point that it is a question of where someone stands on faith IMO, not whether they are claiming to know things for a fact that have not been proven
IMO faith has nothing to do with it. I accept there are some things I cannot know for certain, but I'm happy to wait for new evidence to enlighten me and I'm determined to wait until I die if necessary. Those who wont wait are just as ignorant as I am about what will happen when we die, but they wont (or can't) admit it.
Skombolis wrote:
I know a few atheists like that as well. But no entire group can be stereotyped and Topix is hardly the place to try to do cross-sampling polls. The demographics may change but there are only a handful of different kinds of posters and when it comes to this never-ending "us" vs "them" for both sides on the issue of faith, it is hardly a situation conducive to open, civil, non-defensive dialogue.
True, but I don't expect much more than that.
Skombolis wrote:
Any doubts or even unknowns may not be things a believer is willing to share or admit given people are often looking for the smallest thing to attack to discount faith all together. For example, this verse seems to contradict this verse on a surface level, therefore the entire Bible must be fake. Topix isn't exactly the place people are going to open up to the other "side"
Its a shame the discourse almost always circles the toilet bowl instead of people actually making an effort to understand each other better. If not for moral reasons than even for practical ones as we all have to share this world
JMO
I agree, but you're not my target audience. So long as Christianity exists, fundamentalist Christianity will exist. There's a bigger game at play, and it's mostly political in nature.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#565073 Jul 31, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The Amish and Mennonites (and others) will let apostates starve or freeze to death. Until recently, excommunication/shunning was a death sentence.
Shocking stuff!

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#565074 Jul 31, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
1 John 5:9 If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
10 ¶He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.
Matthew Henry’s Commentary:
9-12 Nothing can be more absurd than the conduct of those who doubt as to the truth of Christianity, while in the common affairs of life they do not hesitate to proceed on human testimony, and would deem any one out of his senses who declined to do so. The real Christian has seen his guilt and misery, and his need of such a Saviour. He has seen the suitableness of such a Saviour to all his spiritual wants and circumstances. He has found and felt the power of the word and doctrine of Christ, humbling, healing, quickening, and comforting his soul. He has a new disposition, and new delights, and is not the man that he formerly was. Yet he finds still a conflict with himself, with sin, with the flesh, the world, and wicked powers. But he finds such strength from faith in Christ, that he can overcome the world, and travel on towards a better. Such assurance has the gospel believer: he has a witness in himself, which puts the matter out of doubt with him, except in hours of darkness or conflict; but he cannot be argued out of his belief in the leading truths of the gospel. Here is what makes the unbeliever's sin so awful; the sin of unbelief. He gives God the lie; because he believes not the record that God gave of his Son. It is in vain for a man to plead that he believes the testimony of God in other things, while he rejects it in this. He that refuses to trust and honour Christ as the Son of God, who disdains to submit to his teaching as Prophet, to rely on his atonement and intercession as High Priest, or to obey him as King, is dead in sin, under condemnation; nor will any outward morality, learning, forms, notions, or confidences avail him.
Good Morning HFN... nice, informative post!

#565075 Jul 31, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
Yes, Christianity is increasing in Canada.
http://www.breakingchristiannews.com/articles...
<quoted text>If you truly have peace in your life believing God does not exist, then good for you.
I have peace knowing God exist. So--good for me too I guess :)
Praise The Lord indeedy! Praising God for His faithful ones! The road is tough but forward we go.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#565076 Jul 31, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bring his illness into it. He's doing much better than those who sit there, do nothing and pray to a god who doesn't give a damn. Like my ex mil, abused, abandoned, hooked on morphine and in a wheelchair. Bitter, vindictive, suffering and praying away for naught. Spreading her vile hate and misery to all. All for what? Some bullshit money making lie of a reward after death? Tribulation is over, you're free.
It sounds like karma has already caught up with her.

#565077 Jul 31, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
At what time did Paul expect to realize his hope.
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day; and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing. 2 Timothy 4:8
Amen.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#565078 Jul 31, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not much for believing that some dude named satan exist...I think people can or can not be "bad" all on their own...no need for a pitchfork.
If by chance he does exist...I am curious...just what exactly do you think he does?
Satan's job is to be the scapegoat for everyone else's evil. How many times have u heard "the devil made me do it"?

#565079 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Q
I remember you posting and us talking right before I took a break. Have you been around since or just back again recent?
Hope all is going well. Just waving HI
Good Morning Skom... just back again recent this month...doing well bro. Just passed my 2 year physical yesterday. Blood prezz normal... everything checks out....feel young but my goatee is salt & peppered to remind me just how close I'm getting to seeing the Lord Jesus, one day.

Hope all is well on your side. Question for you & I will have to check back in l8ter or 2morrah:

Does "potential" already exist or is it created?

Something I was thinking about while traveling out of the area the other day. I asked about 3-4 people separately and so far everyone agreed mostly in the same manner. I thought that was interesting and triggered other concepts for me to think about.

#565080 Jul 31, 2013
O:-) The Son of God Music Ministry (-:O

"Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?"

Hebrews 1:14

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#565081 Jul 31, 2013
<quoted text>We atheists are a patient lot, huh? lol
JuicyLullz wrote, "How many more must they brainwash and hurt before they must be held accountable for their choices? "

If it were up to me, they'd be held accountable from hereon in, but some of them lack the intellectual fortitude to realise their stupidity. It's similar to using mental insanity as a legal defense.
LOL

Sigh. Very well. I'll try this patience thing you speak of.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#565082 Jul 31, 2013
<quoted text>I've met most, if not all, of those nutcases. RA, Shrink, Serah, LW all are fresh in my memory. For good reason too. What a bunch of nutcases, and I could add a few more names to the list. Dr Reality comes to mind immediately.
Oh. He should be chained to a wall. Underground. Forever.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#565083 Jul 31, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah I don't have time really to do two Internet chat-rooms. At least not separately. At home I can can simply leave both Topix and FB logged in and kind of treat it just like one site. But when I get back to work I don't know how FB could even work on a phone as there is so much content it would seem a mobile version would be impossible. Although I haven't actually tried yet. But I use FB almost like its a T-mail. When I see a message, I click over. But I hear ya on life needing our time. Not enough hours in the day sometimes

Peace_Warrior wrote, "<quoted text>
I had to learn there to defuse bombs, and you wouldn't believe the amount of folk who just want the answers as to how... when it was their lives too we were defusing them for. Unreal how many can stand and watch, and still believe at the same time we can speak... and even more unreal when we are judged for being so crazy! lol"

That's human nature more times than not. People don't understand what help is, don't help themselves, and then resent people who do it for them. Its like people being lazy and indifferent is at war with their desire to be in control. It can make it not worth the aggravation at times to even try

I have enjoyed reading yours and LW nature posts very much. I say ditto to you both there and think only of the wild babies that are hand raised who certainly show what a bit of human love can do to turn the tables on 'really wild'. Beautiful stuff. Such docos are my favorite from the heavies."

I hear ya. Love can overcome just about any barrier. Nature and man interacting peacefully and lovingly always lifts my spirit

Love always Dare Brother. Did you ever get that undercover boss I posted you?
Peace be with you...:)
I really gotta go right now also my friend... until we meet again. Aloha.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>"

Hope to see ya soon sis

Your friend and brother

(T) Peace
Fb app is ok. Just slow.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#565084 Jul 31, 2013
<quoted text>I disagree with you on one subtle level. An atheist would say that god doesn't exist in the same way you'd say bigfoot or garden pixies don't exist. Do you need faith to claim there are no supernatural gnomes tending your garden? No, you just need a logical thought process. Christians make a big mistake when they put belief and unbelief in unproven claims on the same level. If you disagree with that, I'd like to see you prove that bigfoot doesn't exist. Are you agnostic in regards to everything you can't disprove?

The logical position is to disbelieve fantastical claims unless they're presented with strong evidence. Threatening unbelievers with hell doesn't meet that criteria.
Skombolis wrote, "Although I know there are multiple combinations as well so not trying to to limit it to just that. Just making the point that it is a question of where someone stands on faith IMO, not whether they are claiming to know things for a fact that have not been proven"

IMO faith has nothing to do with it. I accept there are some things I cannot know for certain, but I'm happy to wait for new evidence to enlighten me and I'm determined to wait until I die if necessary. Those who wont wait are just as ignorant as I am about what will happen when we die, but they wont (or can't) admit it.
Skombolis wrote, "I know a few atheists like that as well. But no entire group can be stereotyped and Topix is hardly the place to try to do cross-sampling polls. The demographics may change but there are only a handful of different kinds of posters and when it comes to this never-ending "us" vs "them" for both sides on the issue of faith, it is hardly a situation conducive to open, civil, non-defensive dialogue."

True, but I don't expect much more than that.
Skombolis wrote, "Any doubts or even unknowns may not be things a believer is willing to share or admit given people are often looking for the smallest thing to attack to discount faith all together. For example, this verse seems to contradict this verse on a surface level, therefore the entire Bible must be fake. Topix isn't exactly the place people are going to open up to the other "side"
JMO"

I agree, but you're not my target audience. So long as Christianity exists, fundamentalist Christianity will exist. There's a bigger game at play, and it's mostly political in nature.
Yep. Religion has very little to do with actual faith.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#565085 Jul 31, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>It sounds like karma has already caught up with her.
Yep. Plenty of hard cold evidence for karma. I feel for her though, that could've easily been future me had I not been saved.

“True Blue”

Opal-Hearted Land

#565086 Jul 31, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
That post was the lawds work.
Vile, judgemental, haughty, hypocritical...checks all the good christian boxes.
Never a truer word, my learned friend.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#565087 Jul 31, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>Satan's job is to be the scapegoat for everyone else's evil. How many times have u heard "the devil made me do it"?
Scapegoat, chuckles.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#565088 Jul 31, 2013
Here For Now wrote:
Have you ever wondered why God does not obey you and do what you want him to Darwin. I don’t want an answer but please yourself about that. I know it will be something nasty.
Do you ever wonder why your church is dying, or why your god lets us toss him out of elementary schools and blaspheme his ass?

I don't.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min VIKING 971,725
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 5 min KellyP in Jersey 2,074
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min Thinking 48,908
BEWARE!! More FALSE FLAGS Comng Soon!!!!!! 10 min Nurple4699 2
Antwan Carter 11 min BonBon6156 3
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 13 min Rings4746 53,821
How to solve racism (and sexism) once and for all 14 min Gurly4054 3
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 23 min Bunz7893 44,699
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min Liam 646,692
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 3 hr Just Think 105,632
More from around the web