“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#562614 Jul 26, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
According to the Bible, and Christianity, yes.
lol! no, it's the mystic new-agers who claim god is everything....that tree, the dafodil...etc. so, i asked "your stool too?" isn't that a reasonable question for the new-agers?

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#562615 Jul 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps I can help. Allow me to condense that for you:
"The bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it"
The thinking is done.
All too often it isn't even what the Bible says and often isn't even in the Bible.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#562616 Jul 26, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Words satisfy the soul as food satisfies the stomach; the right word on a person's lips bring satisfaction.
hi - what version are you quoting from? it's very good, at least for the proverbs:)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562617 Jul 26, 2013
... To me, that is best explained by calling the god a creation of men."
Like String Theory.

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#562618 Jul 26, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you're describing something called 'cherry-picking' or 'quote-mining' where you keep the bits you like and disregard the bits you don't.
What you just said seems to fly in the face of every christian who has ever said, "you must read the bible as a whole, you cannot just pick isolated parts".
So which is it? Keep what I want or take the bible as a whole?
I am not the master of your mind. It up to you what you believe or disbelieve. I share it all with you good, bad or indifferent and the rest is left up to you as a individual.
Only you can decide what you want for yourself.
Just sayin it is my opinion only.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562619 Jul 26, 2013
<quoted text>
I think he could do better. If I were a god that wanted to be known and loved, you'd know me, and I'd be irresistible. I can't even find your god, and I spent five years searching.
I found something better than a deity from a book.

Location hidden

#562620 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So...we are all "antiques" on here....
Just a bunch of Antiques posting to each other....LOL
Hey Epi are theses antiques collectables,I bet a bit pricey too.lol

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562621 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
So...we are all "antiques" on here....
Just a bunch of Antiques posting to each other....LOL
Yep.

Cars over 25
Furniture over 100
Computers over 10
People.... "older than me"

LOL

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562622 Jul 26, 2013
grace walker wrote:
<quoted text>
No embarrassment my friend..I even told G that it was an article that I read. I didn't see the need to cite my findings because who would have actually clicked on the cite??? I cite enough in school, where it actually matters but thanks for doing it on my behalf..much appreciated
Agreed.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#562623 Jul 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
Many Christians are convinced that everyone who did not profess Christ before death, even those who never so much as heard of Christ, are now in hell, being tortured in agony by Godóthe God the same Christians ironically proclaim as compassionate, merciful, loving and full of grace.
"God loves you," some of us Christians seem to be saying, but then comes the fine print: "If you donít say the sinnerís prayer before you die, then my merciful Lord and Savior will torture you forever."
Gospel= Good News
The gospel of Jesus Christ is good news. It remains forever, good news, the best news imaginable, for absolutely everybody and everything. It is not merely good news for the few who came to know Christ before they died; it is good news for the whole of creationóeven for all those who died before they ever heard of Christ.
Jesus Christ is the atoning sacrifice not merely for the sins of Christians but for the sins of the whole world (1 John 2:2). The Creator is also the Redeemer of his creation (Colossians 1:15-20). Whether people know that truth before they die is not the thing that determines whether it is true. It depends entirely on Jesus Christ, not on human action or human response of any kind.
Jesus said, "For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not perish but may have eternal life" (John 3:16)
and "die" are not the same thing. Belief keeps people from perishing, but it does not keep them from dying.
The kind of perishing that Jesus is talking about here, translated from the Greek word apoletai, is a spiritual death, not a physical one. It has to do with utter destruction, with being abolished, put an end to, or ruined. Those who believe in Jesus will not come to such a final end, but will, instead, enter into the life (zoe) of the age to come (aeonion).
Some enter into the life of the age to come, or kingdom life, while they still live and walk on the earth, but in the grand scheme of things, this happens to only a few of those who make up the "world" or "kosmos" that God loves so much that he sent his Son to save it.
( The Kingdom of God is within Us)
I know you heard that verse a thousands times..I have but never really meditated on it much.
Sometimes we read where Jesus is talking about "life" and most people automatically assume that He is talking about eternal life but is He? When He speaks of eternal life..He says...Eternal Life..Not Life..as in THIS LIFE..
What about the rest? This verse does not say that God cannot or wonít bring to faith any of those who die physically before believing.
The idea that physical death is a barrier to Godís ability to save, or to his ability to bring a person to faith in Christ, is a human interpretation; the Bible states no such thing. We are told that everyone dies, and then they are judged (Hebrews 9:27). But let us remember that their Judge, thank God, is none other than Jesus, the slaughtered Lamb of God who died for their sinsóand that changes everything.
If the One who judges us is the One who died for us..What do you think the verdict will be??
Where do we get this notion that God is only able to save live people and not dead ones? He conquered death, didnít he? He rose from the dead, didnít he? God doesnít hate the world; he loves it. He didnít create humanity for hell. Christ came to save the world, not to condemn it (John 3:17).
So you see, maybe men have created a god that best suits their agenda and ignore all this..
hi Grace -

i understand and can agree with everything you're saying in priciple, but i'm leary of preaching an ambiguous "love" and an ambigous god without proclaiming HOW God is able to love sinners and what/Who it cost Him; i.e., the GOSPEL OF JESUS CHRIST, not just the same christless/crossless jibber jabber of the world. i'm not implying that you didn't preach the unadulterated Gospel, but there are many who don't:)

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562624 Jul 26, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
and you told her in public......
Yep:

" I found something a little interesting but it will take a few pages to post it all."

Not getting into another plagiarism "snitch and bitch".

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562625 Jul 26, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Funny that my Father was a great mathematician, and finance is my path and my daughter is doing an Accounting degree and is already a bookkeeper. I also believe my Father's ancestors are German Jews, but have not been able to substantiate that yet. A Christian to my mind is an evolved Jew as such, seeing as JESUS was a Jewish Rabbi.
Jews were meant to be very good with money, but history tells us this.
1. I was making a joke.
2. The reason Hews were involved in Medieval banking was because the RCC declared that banking (charging interest on leant money) was a sin.
3. The Knights Templars found a way around the sin by calling it a "service charge" instead of "interest"...and paying a "tithe" from their profits to the Vatican.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562626 Jul 26, 2013
Rider on the Storm wrote:
<quoted text>
Cause I have no interest in your word games. You guys aren't honest and I dont have the time for the games.
I'm glad that bothers you. I see your keeping that file on me now. LOL.
So you're a hypocrite as well as a jackass.

OK

Bye!

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562627 Jul 26, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Children who mistreat their fathers or chase away their mother are a public disgrace and an embarrassment.
And according to the Bible are to be stoned to death.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562629 Jul 26, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL.
You mock the wisdom of the scriptures?
That one caught my eye, too. Apparently, anything passes for wisdom if it's in the book and written sententiously, however inane.
"It's better let a fool kiss you than to let a kiss fool you."
"A kiss is shopping upstairs for downstairs merchandise."
"A man with five dicks will have pants that fit like a glove."
Any of those could be in the bible.
Exactly. The Proverbs are nothing more than a collection of old Jewish sayings. The Tradition continues to this day.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562630 Jul 26, 2013
<quoted text>
Sorry, Epi. This may be encouraging, but it is a false promise. And obviously so. What else have you been promised from the same source?
I know - I'm a horrible. demon infested person for pointing out the obvious.
There are tomes of apologetics to explain away that verse.
All of them are bigger failures than the verse itself.

Location hidden

#562632 Jul 26, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
hi - what version are you quoting from? it's very good, at least for the proverbs:)
New living translation.

“Love much, trust none”

There

#562633 Jul 26, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, it was getting annoying, her quoting proverbs out of context. I challenged her on it before, but she babbled something incoherent - finally G_O_D explained it to me.
So then I thought I'd just make fun of how ridiculous it is. You can get such good at advice anywhere - and better, to be honest, since we live in very different times.
Agreed.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#562634 Jul 26, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
And according to the Bible are to be stoned to death.
lil whispers wrote:
Children who mistreat their fathers or chase away their mother are a public disgrace and an embarrassment.

I don't recall...what does it say about fathers and mothers that gave their children reason to mistreat and disgrace them.

I have often thought of the commandment...

Honor thy father and mother...

I have often thought about those parents that don't deserve to be honored.

They exist...we read about them every day...those parents that abuse their children. Are those children still expected to...honor thy father and mother?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#562635 Jul 26, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Actually, I'm not going to carry on with this topic anymore at all. G is right, I am way out of my league.
I will apologise to anyone I have offended over these last weeks and will never be able to explain why I feel the way I feel. It has been very personal and it is my life ~ not really meant to be shared with a group of strangers from all walks of life, all over the world.
My postings will be more Scriptural and Prayer like, pertaining more to the topic of the Forum ~ Cheers, Serah
I think if you stick to posting scriptures.. All will be well..
You are a menace.

Your apology that ends w a "but , this is why I..."
- means nothing..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I am still a Christian. 3 min the lazy athiest 5
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 579,212
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min nanoanomaly 817,813
Caucasians are Neanderthal-Sapien hybrids. (Oct '07) 5 min Johnny 152
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 12 min Classic 2,197
skype sex id luv to try it (Aug '13) 1 hr joacon6 145
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 1 hr Freebird USA 9,248
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr His Hollines dr S... 39,967
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Porkpie Hat 270,167
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr bacon hater 97,998
More from around the web