“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#562585 Jul 26, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
It is better to be poor and honest than to be a fool and dishonest.
Hidingfromyou wrote:
duuuuuh, no kidding
"it's better to be walking healthy than have ALS"
"it's better to at working than being tortured"
"it's better to be fishing than drowning"
LOL.

You mock the wisdom of the scriptures?

That one caught my eye, too. Apparently, anything passes for wisdom if it's in the book and written sententiously, however inane.

"It's better let a fool kiss you than to let a kiss fool you."

"A kiss is shopping upstairs for downstairs merchandise."

"A man with five dicks will have pants that fit like a glove."

Any of those could be in the bible.
Bongo

Shirley, NY

#562586 Jul 26, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Perhaps the reason Jews dominated medieval banking was that Christians could only count to ten.
LOL
look mush mouth made a funny,

Fennario

#562587 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Encouraging Words....
I tell you, you can pray for anything, and if you believe that you've received it, it will be yours.
Mark 11:24
K-Love
Sorry, Epi. This may be encouraging, but it is a false promise. And obviously so. What else have you been promised from the same source?

I know - I'm a horrible. demon infested person for pointing out the obvious.

Fennario

#562588 Jul 26, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
lol... classical piano.
I wasn't too far off, was I?

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#562589 Jul 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, Epi. This may be encouraging, but it is a false promise. And obviously so. What else have you been promised from the same source?
I know - I'm a horrible. demon infested person for pointing out the obvious.
No...you're not

Thanks

Since: May 11

UK

#562590 Jul 26, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
If you stop listening to instruction, my child, you have turned your back on knowledge.
Are we to assume that the instruction is factual and correct?

...because you know...not all instruction is beneficial.

...the proverb itself seems somewhat narrow and arbitrary...just sayin'...

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#562591 Jul 26, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Are we to assume that the instruction is factual and correct?
...because you know...not all instruction is beneficial.
...the proverb itself seems somewhat narrow and arbitrary...just sayin'...
I am just sayin lol keep what you want of proverbs and leave the rest for another. It is been labeled as sharing.

UK

#562592 Jul 26, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
I am just sayin lol keep what you want of proverbs and leave the rest for another. It is been labeled as sharing.
I think you're describing something called 'cherry-picking' or 'quote-mining' where you keep the bits you like and disregard the bits you don't.

What you just said seems to fly in the face of every christian who has ever said, "you must read the bible as a whole, you cannot just pick isolated parts".

So which is it? Keep what I want or take the bible as a whole?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562594 Jul 26, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
lol... classical piano.
My SO is a professional classical pianist :)

The talent...wow, so far beyond me, it's unreal to me.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562595 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
HFY...Is that a Social thing in that area of China?
I wouldn't know. I'm from Japan. Perhaps River would know?

But, ah, food is generally a "social thing" wherever you are, so I would guess yes.

Let's hope Catcher can tell us of his adventures!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562596 Jul 26, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
The hair is white/grey, modern wigs do not require powder.
Is your picture, by chance, a drunk Nixon?

UK

#562599 Jul 26, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Is your picture, by chance, a drunk Nixon?
It's a caricature of the great Leo McKern.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#562600 Jul 26, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
In what universe was your opening line apropos? In case you didn't notice, the continual line of tragedies which you allege your life has been(not that I believe you for a second) does not impress me. It is not a badge of honour.
Do you attempt to cause grief by advertising your grief? You do indeed, you are a griefing troll.
Do you attempt to derail by alleging that someone is stalking you based on the notion that someone viewed information voluntarily placed in the public domain thereby causing mock concern? You do indeed, you are a concern troll.
If indeed all of these things did happen to people close to you, i.e. your uncle dying while you fed him, or your father dying while you fed him or people burning to death...all things which are your stock-in-trade as a 'personality', I would be more inclined to ask your local prosecutor to examine the deaths than to give you any sympathy because you obviously relish the attention.
You sound like an "angel of mercy". That's a legal euphemism btw, not a compliment.
What do I think of myself? Well how long do you have? I'm a paraplegic ex soldier, tours of Ireland, Sierra Leone, The Balkans, Kosovo, Iraq and Afghanistan. Paralysed in the lower left quadrant, wounded to the forehead, sinus cavity mouth and throat, witnessed a lot of death and gore. When I was injured people died and I lived, I suffered a certain amount of guilt for that for a while, learned to walk again, learned to talk agian. Went back to school got married, started a new career, had a child. My life now is actually better than when I was serving and able bodied.
....never prayed once!
The number of times I have mentioned this on topix is probably in single figures. You appear to define yourself by the misery which surrounds you, and you meet it with a smile on your face and a prayer in your heart...poor you. Poor, poor you.
Don't forget to give god the glory for all the great stuff that allegedly happend to your loved ones.
Hi.. Nice to meet you..

Wow! Great post..
Thank you for sharing..

You see what I see in Serah..
She is doomed in the name of Christ.. And she thinks she gets a free pass..because of it??
lol...
Unbelievable!

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562602 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL.....Butterfly McQueen's line in "Gone with the wind"
She wrote:

"Im an atheist and Christianity appears to me to be the most absurd imposture of all the religions, and Im puzzled that so many people cant see through a religion that encourages irresponsibility and bigotry.
And: "As my ancestors are free from slavery, I am free from the slavery of religion."

So, thank you :) I would never have known that.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562603 Jul 26, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL.
You mock the wisdom of the scriptures?
That one caught my eye, too. Apparently, anything passes for wisdom if it's in the book and written sententiously, however inane.
"It's better let a fool kiss you than to let a kiss fool you."
"A kiss is shopping upstairs for downstairs merchandise."
"A man with five dicks will have pants that fit like a glove."
Any of those could be in the bible.
Yeah, it was getting annoying, her quoting proverbs out of context. I challenged her on it before, but she babbled something incoherent - finally G_O_D explained it to me.

So then I thought I'd just make fun of how ridiculous it is. You can get such good at advice anywhere - and better, to be honest, since we live in very different times.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562605 Jul 26, 2013
Dr shrink wrote:
<quoted text>
his picture look like old dead chicken head on grill with elephamt long ears
Does that make you hungry?

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#562607 Jul 26, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. interesting analysis, Barrister. Why does Serah continue to hold hands with posters who deem homosexuals immoral abominations ??..
.. in the process, she has chosen to reject and condemn the personhood of her own brother. I do not understand any of it ..
I do not understand it either..
She
seems desperate..
Serah has taken homophobia to a new level for me..
Is this really the thought process concerning gays..today??

Makes me sick to think it is..
Shame on her!

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#562609 Jul 26, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
She wrote:
"Im an atheist and Christianity appears to me to be the most absurd imposture of all the religions, and Im puzzled that so many people cant see through a religion that encourages irresponsibility and bigotry.
And: "As my ancestors are free from slavery, I am free from the slavery of religion."
So, thank you :) I would never have known that.
Yea...I liked her...Loved her voice...She won an academy award for her part in GWTW

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#562611 Jul 26, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy.
Skiddely diveydo wooden ewe ?

“A Universal Cause”

Since: Feb 09

The Cosmos

#562612 Jul 26, 2013
<quoted text>
It is when you gratuitously insert your god into the discussion.
<quoted text>
There you go again. When I discuss environmental policy, the words "God" and "Jesus" don't pop up except in reference to the contribution that Christian doctrine makes to the problem.
<quoted text>
That's Christian nihilism, which contributes to the problem.
<quoted text>
Can you leave him out of your conversations with me?
<quoted text>
We can converse, but as soon as you make a comment that assumes the existence of Jesus, you're talking to yourself.
<quoted text>
That's incorrect. I just ask you to take into account that I don't believe what you believe, and to leave your religious beliefs out of nonreligious discussions with me. If you don't, the discussion will be about that instead. Notice that we have never discussed the earth at all because of your choice to sick the term "God-given" into your comment. If that's what you prefer to talk about, then you're going about it very well. But if the earth was what was on your mind, you made a mistake.
I have thanked you said I am a quick learner when it comes to the answers you have given and have no need to ask more at this point re 'why do you - non believers - target the Christian faith'?

Between all the posts I have said all I need to regardless of what we both do or don't believe, but what I share in here is for the very reason I entered the forum. It's title. If I wanted to prove anything I would have had an entirely different approach. So I have moved on as mentioned.

What I deliver to science re the earth has been done long before I knew this thread existed, and continues to... and like I said, nothing will change that either. Despite your suggestion to give up on that aspect - science - that's what they said to Leonardo da Vinci when they didn't understand him either. And you are right... I do not have to share a belief system with physics unless called for. All that matters there is that those who I work with understand very well. Your comment was really worth the smile!

I can also understand why you call things circular as well... if we were to continue that's what we'd be doing with these posts. That's not progress. That's bowing to one another's beliefs and neither of us do that. The essence of this thread is to share that faith. I do. So again, thank you and take care... it has been interesting. But never an intention of disrespect to either of us.

Good Saturday morning to you Ians, I will always be ahead of you there...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min joe 559,191
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Stilgar Fifrawi 774,422
Moses never existed 4 min Khatru 733
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 4 min Johnny 4,737
Kokopelli's Place, too (Jan '08) 9 min Jolly 23,963
Tarabya Franke) FRANKE TARABYA 299 I5 34 Frank... 10 min frances11 1
End of the word game. (Dec '08) 12 min DesCant 1,399
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 38 min onemale 265,030
Why Im no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 1 hr foothillbilly 441,760
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Lyndi 175,582