Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#562535 Jul 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
What does religion do to brain plasticity compared to rational skepticism? If I weren't so busy, and lazy, I'd write a few thousand words on that.
Perhaps I can help. Allow me to condense that for you:

"The bible says it, I believe it, and that settles it"

The thinking is done.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#562536 Jul 26, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
Serah tells us often that she has a confirmation bias, although she doesn't use those words. Her priority is to support her beliefs, not to learn what is actually true. Her "research" is yet another fantasy, a pretense to sate her cognitive dissonance. She knows it would be better if she could support her beliefs with evidence and SCIENCE, so she plays at doing the work. It doesn't matter at all that she can't convince anyone else that she's backed by SCIENCE. It's just a ruse to fool herself, which works, because she doesn't know what she's doing.
Agreed. Trifecta is another major offender there.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Fennario

#562537 Jul 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
I will answer your questions above with a big fat " I DONT KNOW"..Who knows the mind of God?
As you know, most Christians think they do. They speak for their god.

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#562538 Jul 26, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
Parents can provide their sons with an inheritance of houses and wealth, but only the Lord can give an understanding wife.
Amen!

Fennario

#562539 Jul 26, 2013
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
Grace Walker wrote:
But salvation is only for Christians," the fundamentalists howl. Yes, of course it is. But just who are "the Christians"? Are they only those who repeat the sinner’s prayer? Are they only those who are baptized by immersion? Only those who belong to the "true" church? Only those who are absolved by a duly ordained priest? Only those who have ceased sinning.(Have you? I haven’t.) Only those who come to know Jesus before they die? Or does Jesus himself, the one into whose nail-pierced hands God has given all judgment, decide who is and is not ultimately to be included among those upon whom he will have mercy? And while he is at it, does he, the one who conquered death and grants eternal life to whomever he will, decide when he might bring a person to faith, or do we, the all-wise defenders of the true religion, make that determination for him?
Thanks for all of that, but you probably know that I am not very interested in theology. None of that (four consecutive posts ending with the above) addressed my question about why the Christian god is so occult:

"How do you reconcile that with the claim that an omnipotent and omniscient god very much wants us to know and worship him? To me, that is best explained by calling the god a creation of men."

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#562540 Jul 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
So, then, what about the family and friends of those who die without having professed faith in Christ? Does the gospel offer them any hope and encouragement about the fate of their dead loved ones? Indeed, the Gospel of John records Jesus declaring, "And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself" (John 12:32). That’s good news, the gospel truth. Jesus didn’t lay out a timetable, but he did declare that he would draw everybody to himself, not just a few who find out who he is before they die, but absolutely everybody.
Then it is no wonder that Paul wrote to the Christians in the city of Colosse that in Jesus Christ, God was pleased, pleased, mind you, to "reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, by making peace through the blood of his cross." (Col. 1:20). That’s good news. And it is, like Jesus said, good news for the whole world, not just for the limited few.
Paul wanted his readers to know that this Jesus, this Son of God raised from the dead, is not just some exciting leader of a new and improved religious concept. Paul is telling them that Jesus is none other than the Creator and Sustainer of all things (verses 16-17), and more than that, he is God’s way of fixing absolutely everything that has gone wrong with the world from the beginning of history (verse 20)! In Christ, God has moved once and for all to make good on all his promises that he made to Israel—promises that he would one day act in pure grace to forgive all sins everywhere and make everything new (see Acts 13:32-33; 3:20-21; Isa. 43:19; Rev. 21:5; Rom. 8:19-21).
This really meant something to me....I think you should think about going into ministry...you OWN ministry...To reach out to ALL....

I will PM you on how this touched me

Fennario

#562541 Jul 26, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
it is no sales pitch that the poor earth is close to revolting
It is when you gratuitously insert your god into the discussion.
Peace_Warrior wrote:
So somewhere between you and Jesus - all of us - stands a warrior alone who pleads with him to save the earth.
There you go again. When I discuss environmental policy, the words "God" and "Jesus" don't pop up except in reference to the contribution that Christian doctrine makes to the problem.
Peace_Warrior wrote:
Because none of us can stop it from happening!
That's Christian nihilism, which contributes to the problem.
Peace_Warrior wrote:
You can't expect me to leave [Jesus] out of my life all together
Can you leave him out of your conversations with me?
Peace_Warrior wrote:
Just say if you don't want to talk to me. That is easily fixed.
We can converse, but as soon as you make a comment that assumes the existence of Jesus, you're talking to yourself.

Fennario

#562542 Jul 26, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
God is in the business of saving people, not torturing them. Jesus is Redeemer, and whether we believe it or not, he is awfully good at what he does.
I think he could do better. If I were a god that wanted to be known and loved, you'd know me, and I'd be irresistible. I can't even find your god, and I spent five years searching.
grace walker

Spencer, NC

#562543 Jul 26, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
As you know, most Christians think they do. They speak for their god.
Exactly Ian's..That's why I was impressed with your statement about men created a God.His own followers seem to limit God and bring Him down to their personal beliefs and then try to threaten others while at the same time, they try to convince people how loving He is

Its no wonder people ridicule Christians. That's not easy to admit but there isn't any other way to see it. My post to you last night opened my eyes even wider. If we truly believe in the power of God, why do His followers limit him and His power? Is it only to keep others obedient to their rules?? I wonder!!!

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#562544 Jul 26, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
So you were distracted.
No wonder I ordered peperoni but got mushrooms.
ooops, sorry :)

Fennario

#562545 Jul 26, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
my expressions were never targeted against your beliefs on purpose, but somehow seem to have been seen as such by you.
That's incorrect. I just ask you to take into account that I don't believe what you believe, and to leave your religious beliefs out of nonreligious discussions with me. If you don't, the discussion will be about that instead. Notice that we have never discussed the earth at all because of your choice to sick the term "God-given" into your comment. If that's what you prefer to talk about, then you're going about it very well. But if the earth was what was on your mind, you made a mistake.

“Runner John Green disqualified”

Since: Aug 12

4 Bible Scripture on headband

#562547 Jul 26, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =GNIlYAVznYUXX&list=PL2xJs pzvHg5nvZNtAGFi3a9kiV4xEEuzg &index=28
Thank you... G'day

:)

Since: May 11

Hersham, UK

#562548 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
This really meant something to me....I think you should think about going into ministry...you OWN ministry...To reach out to ALL....
I will PM you on how this touched me
You recognised her vocation to ministry from something plagiarised from a website?

Perhaps she should have just posted the link to save you both from embarrassment.

http://www.gci.org/gospel/reallyis

Flakey...very flakey.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#562549 Jul 26, 2013
Catcher1 wrote:
Catcher here.
Just checking in to let you know I'm still alive and kicking. I'm in Huangshan (Anhui province) in the hinterlands of China. Travel is by horse cart and bicycle taxi. No English, difficult to know what one is ordering to eat, I'm seen as someone from another planet.
The people are incredibly warm and friendly, water buffalo, rice fields and chrysanthemum plantations are all around, and the Yellow Mountain is indescribable (google Huangshan and see pictures).
Some are Buddhists or Tao (the religions appear to be in harmony with one another), or atheist. Saw one or two Catholic churches along the way, in larger towns. The villages are 1000 years old or more, and many are in "original" condition. Only problem--it's hot. I have decided it's not a good idea to end up in the Lake of Fire. Tell Red Apples and trifecta I said so, and that I'm trying to be good.
In case you wonder how I can communicate, today for the first time I found a computer (from the '80s?), and somehow I managed to get past the Chinese characters and find Topix. Is this an incredible world we live in, or what?
A few more days, and I'll be back to Western civilization. The transition will be a bit difficult I think.
I looked up Huangshan Mountain....It is awe inspiring....

I'm sure transitioning back to Western culture will be hard....Are we happier...really?

Have a safe trip Catcher

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#562550 Jul 26, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
You recognised her vocation to ministry from something plagiarised from a website?
Perhaps she should have just posted the link to save you both from embarrassment.
Flakey...very flakey.
No she and I have talked many...many other times.

Thanks for your opinion...Have a great day in the UK

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#562551 Jul 26, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, neat! What kinds of foods are you eating? Were you able to make contact with anyone? Are the men trying to drink with you?
HFY...Is that a Social thing in that area of China?

Hersham, UK

#562552 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
No she and I have talked many...many other times.
Thanks for your opinion...Have a great day in the UK
More honesty from the christians..LMAO

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#562553 Jul 26, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
Flakey...very flakey.
Hey Mister....I like your new wig...Do you have to powder it every night?

:-)

Hersham, UK

#562554 Jul 26, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Mister....I like your new wig...Do you have to powder it every night?
:-)
The hair is white/grey, modern wigs do not require powder.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Lonestar 93,075
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 min Richardfs 979,549
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 15 min kent 668,095
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 21 min USA-1 39,226
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Rob Ford 286,116
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Sky Writer 31 183,699
--- Pres TRUMP 100% Match to ANTICHRIST, TRIB --- 3 hr Haha 2
More from around the web