“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#562206 Jul 25, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I'll give you a link about switching off DNA ~ it has been a chemical additive for years - E211.
*** Coca-Cola is phasing out a controversial additive that has been linked to damage to DNA and hyperactivity in children.
Sodium benzoate, also known as E211, is used to stop fizzy drinks going mouldy.
Coca-Cola said it had begun withdrawing the additive from Diet Coke in January in response to consumer demand for more natural products.
By the end of the year no can or bottle will contain E211.
The company plans to remove it from its other products as soon as possible, but said that at present it had not found a satisfactory alternative to replace the additive in some soft drinks with a higher juice content, including Fanta, Dr Pepper, Sprite and Oasis. The chemical is not used in regular Coke.
While sodium benzoate occurs naturally in some fruits, it is used in greater strengths by the soft drinks industry.
But research by Peter Piper, a professor of molecular biology at Sheffield University, found that the additive could switch off parts of DNA, the genetic code in the cells of living creatures, that could be linked to cirrhosis of the liver and Parkinson's disease.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10218... ***
They used to call me the Chemical Queen or Chemical Detective down here, and I started a petition for better labeling for understanding the dangers of additives in our foods and beverages.
There is a book, The Chemical Maze, that is pretty handy when first trying to work out what is what. Interesting stuff, even tried ringing the Food and Drug board, and managed to get a list of all of the allowable chemicals and their % in each product.
Problem is, they're not responsible to letting anyone know what the maximum intake per product is, they're only responsible for making sure the maximum of additive is not over reached. Amazing stuff......
You didn't do your research on sodium benzoate and trusted a faulty news story.

The FDA has clear guidelines for maximum intake and coke's is well below that - not that I would argue coke is healthy for you. Further, sodium benzoate is a carcinogen at high levels - that's how it alters DNA - but you never, ever reach those levels through diet.

Further, the studies were inconclusive.

It's great that you read second hand media about this stuff, but you should really double check with the actual science if you think it's so dangerous. It's quite simple, just google scholar, read the abstracts, read the available pdfs.

Your knowledge would expand exponentially if you did that.

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#562207 Jul 25, 2013
noworriesgotbluze wrote:
with due respect the bible is just a 2000 yr old book of old comic books put together its full of old stories about super human people doing good things and bad things so why not love superman or batman or even why not just believe that ufos are real as well because we at least have some proof that something is there with them but jesus is only a man who lived 2000 yrs ago so the good comic says
with all due respect, that just your opinion writer. and you have a right to it.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562209 Jul 25, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
That was to Nanobrain, not you.
hee, hee, hee

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562210 Jul 25, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
"My brother is a sick deviant bound for hell and yet I still worship the being who will send him there....LOOK HOW MUCH I LOVE GOD, SEE HOW STRONG MY FAITH IS!!!!"
serah is a passive aggressor who will make everything about her.
Well said. And your other post!

hats off to you, sir :)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562211 Jul 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>G why do you keep making an @SS outta yourself?
For you to hug.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562212 Jul 25, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Doctor...(you have your Doctorate....correct?)
That was interesting
Still working on it :) But I've jumped into the discipline regardless.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562213 Jul 25, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a nice ass.
So...ah...uhm...

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#562214 Jul 25, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Here a another translation, one with punctuation:
Proverbs 17:28 CJB
"Even a fool, if he stays silent, is thought wise; he who keeps his mouth shut can pass for smart."
Do you know what that means? I'm guessing that you think it says that that wise people are silent. I'm guessing that you think it is advice on how to be wise. It's not. It's more like advice on how not to give oneself away when one is a fool.
Does that belong in a holy book?
Well who else is reading it???

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#562215 Jul 25, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean international forum that gets advertised all over the internet all over the world? Maybe not but hey, the more who read how nasty religious folks are, the more will be saved come judgement day, or is it judgement day already? I forget. In any case, you're doing a wonderful job tri, kudos.
Interesting.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#562216 Jul 25, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
My muscles ache and I can't get decent sleep.
Other than that, I'm doing OK.
I like to wake people up and make them think.
I figured that out a LONG time ago....

:-)

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#562217 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
If you constantly challenge yourself intellectually, you will turn on genes that promote neural growth chemicals, neural support, etc., probably suppress aging of the brain.
It's more normal to think of that as causing semi-permanent brain changes that increase memory, the speed of learning, cognition, etc., than to think of it as controller gene driven, but either work.
I understand about neural growth for the individual. I was thinking more along the lines of the affect it might have on offspring and if your own growth(through practice) would be genetically passed on.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#562218 Jul 25, 2013
Grace Walker wrote:
I questioned those contradictions myself because it didn't make any sense to me. How can God say one thing in the OT but then turn around and say something totally different in the NT. I was sincere in my belief but I am not blind to the differences. I prayed about that everyday and then I learned the difference.
I never got a satisfactory answer as to why the god seems to evolve right along with man's ethical theory.
Grace Walker wrote:
I don't believe that God was angry at me for questioning Him. I question my biological parents and their authority all the time too.
You're using reason there. It seems to lead us to better places that our pastors did.
Grace Walker wrote:
How else are we suppose to learn.
I think those pastors prefer that you just listen, memorize, and comply without questioning.
Grace Walker wrote:
I questioned my Pastor right in the middle of his sermon..Simply stood up and questioned him. Of course, he is no longer my pastor.
I'm guessing that the two are related.
Grace Walker wrote:
I don't go into anything with my eyes shut and I thank God for that.
You seem to be arguing for evidence over blind faith. I do, too.

You're a good person, Grace. I like the way you approach your religion. You use your head and your heart, or as we call them in rational ethics, you combine combine reason with compassion. It's been done repeatedly to biblical ethics, and one by one they get cast aside - no more stoning to people to death for sex, no more blood sacrifices, no more burning of witches, no more slavery - with apologists making up narratives to account for the changes without having to admit that church ethics are evolving with mankind.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#562219 Jul 25, 2013
Buh

Bye....

Later

“I.Spirit.Son.God”

Location hidden

#562220 Jul 25, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes.. I was here within a year wsjlm began..
I know Christianity has always been challenged here.
What's your point?
I posted to a post of your's where you stated Ians and his fellow posters do not bother
The
Believers here...TODAY - 2013..
I asked you where you have been in the last few months, for many believers here are indeed throwing
temper tantrums
Regarding the newest posters.. And this is your response??
Good grief.
FYI.. You just throw bs out and hope it will defame me in someway..
I love this thread on the top.. It's a hot topic..
Always has been..
That's a very good thing..
At least we agree on something, this billboard at the top of favorites helps people to Jesus Christ, even if they don't read one writing on here. The title alone makes them think.

I'm not trying to defame you at all...but you have gotten into some rather vicious arguments with Skombolis and I'm not sure what that's about. But as I said to someone else, emotional investments on the billboard is rather unsightly to me, so that between you and Skombolis writer.

As far as these new writers...I have a feeling they are not all that new. Most of them have writings in the 10,000s plus. I doubt they only saw this billboard 3 or 4 months ago.

That leads me to think whatever criticisms they had about Christianity, they had it among themsleves on other billboards many many hundreds of times. So why come on a billboard with mostly Christians to repeat what they repeat among themselves probably hundreds of times? to let the Christians know it too? I think so.

Well I for one welcome that. Because that gave me a chance to clear the air with no holds barred about their religion Secular Humanism. It is rather therapeutic if I may say so HA!.

So I don't think the Christians here threw temper tantrums because of these "new" posters criticizing Christianity, criticisms of Christianity happened from the start of this billboard as you yourself said. It was just about the amount of them all at once and at the same time. But that's pass now. Now they are just writers. So we all just write and move on.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#562221 Jul 25, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>G why do you keep making an @SS outta yourself?
He was born with the: Make an a$$ out of yourself, gene.......

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#562222 Jul 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
So I guess she did well to fool me and make me think she was decent for a while.
By the way, how are you doing?
I'm great. Working a lot, but that's nothing unusual.

Fennario

#562223 Jul 25, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I'm not a homophobe. I'm just speculating whether or not homophobia can be natural.
I don't think you are a homophobe, since you do try to be understanding and to be fair. But I think you have been conditioned to think of gay people as somewhat damaged, and carry a little of the irrational and unfair negativity that homophobes put out there.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Speaking of DNA, what would you call the atheist posters here that think a DNA rearrange would be good to remove faith?
I would call them sarcastic. They're mocking Serah. How do I know? I'm one of them. I introduced the idea.

Serah should have been shocked and horrified upon reading that suggestion when it was made about her. If she has an ounce of compassion or empathy in her, it should have immediately shocked her out of analogous position directed toward others.

She should have seen how easy it is for popular opinion to define you as diseased, and take into account that her people's opinions are waning right as those that might call her sick are rising.

She should have seen how wrong it was to even suggest that society have the right to do something as invasive and dangerous as to try rearrange ones DNA on based on something so flimsy as her religion's say so.

Do you think that happened?

Fennario

#562224 Jul 25, 2013
Do you consider it unethical to try to reduce the influence of faith on individuals and on daily life using argument?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
No, you can do that all you want. I doubt you'll have any impact doing it on a site like this.
Thanks.

I disagree, however, about the impact. Of course it is impossible to determine what impact one person from a crowd is having, and I am but a small part of a larger group that I believe is having an impact.

What kind of impact do you think I should be looking for, and what do you think would be evidence to support or contradict the hypothesis that this kind of posting has an impact?

“Pillars of Creation....”

Since: Jan 11

Into this world we're thrown

#562225 Jul 25, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>

Truth be told,, I expect nothing good -ever- in your posts..
So I am not surprised in anything you write..
And I still find it amazing how insecure you are......

Fennario

#562226 Jul 25, 2013
Homophobia is exactly the same as racism, except that the bigotry is directed at same sex love rather than skin color. How is disapproving of someone for being gay different from disapproving of someone for being a particular color?
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hmm...Maybe because I don't view homophobia as 'disapproving'. I view it as irrational fear. Am I wrong?
I would say so, and here is the argument why:

"-phobia" means the opposite of "-philia," a suffix that shows an affinity or attraction to something, as in pedophilia (people attracted to the pediatric population). Thus the suffix "-phobia," its opposite, more fully means an aversion or revulsion to something, whether that be due to fear as with arachnophobia and acrophobia, the fear of spiders and heights, or condemnation, as with homophobia and atheophobia. The revulsion can be from fear, disgust, or disapproval in any combination

By this reckoning, homophobia doesn't require fear, although fear may be present. Revulsion for any reason meets the definition. Computerophobes aren't generally afraid of their computers, but they are repulsed by them - perhaps they have been burned by one crashing, or are overwhelmed trying to use one, or they think people will hurt them by hacking theirs, or spying on them. Note that even though this is in part fear driven, people aren't afraid of their computer like they are of a spider. They're distrustful of people.

If you hold negative opinions about homosexuality, they are unfounded, meaning irrational. And the best you can hope to do with that is never ever let it influence any interactions or decisions. I don't see how that's possible when you consider somebody icky.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 min WasteWater 267,267
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min mariayr 567,371
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Dave Nelson 793,656
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 min Doctor REALITY 97,422
Gay snapchat names 9 min elrtorres7 325
Israel's end is near, Ahmadinejad says (Jun '07) 13 min MUQ2 38,050
Scientific proof for God's existence 21 min mariayr 492
More from around the web