Laid down with the vile unholy

And some senators and movie stars

shared a cave with the meek and lowly."

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#562128 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>First, that's not a science source. That's someone with blog who didn't actually reference any of those citations, but appended them to the end as a bibliography.

Second, you're only posting them here to pretend their scientific research backs up your misunderstanding of what you read.

Third, apparently you didn't understand this key phrase: "We talk about DNA as if it’s a template, like a mold for a car part in a factory. But DNA isn’t really like that. It’s more like a script. Think of Romeo and Juliet, different directors using different actors produce different versions. Both productions used Shakespeare’s script, yet the two are entirely different. Identical starting points, different outcomes."

Now it's understandable why you missed that - it's not written very well.

DNA does not change or reverse in response to behavioral interactions, including trauma. What happens is that the brain starts producing certain emotions over others - fear, anxiety, etc - and this calls upon those parts of the DNA that generate the (proteins that build the) hormones for these reactions.

Your DNA is like a set of instructions. How you live your life, the experiences you have, determines which instructions are turned on and which off. The DNA itself remains unchanged by such processes, but merely differentially activated.

Last, instead of tossing references at me, go read them yourself. They don't claim what you're pretending they do. They write things like this:

"Aggressive behavior is influenced by variation in genes of the serotonergic circuitry and early-life experience alike. The present study aimed at investigating the contribution of polymorphisms shown to moderate transcription of two genes involved in serotonergic neurotransmission (serotonin transporter, 5HTT, and monoamine oxidase A, MAOA) to the development of violence and to test for gene–environment interactions relating to adverse childhood environment. A cohort of 184 adult male volunteers referred for forensic assessment participated in the study. Each individual was assigned to either a violent or a nonviolent group. Logistic regression was performed and the best-fitting model, with a predictive power of 74%, revealed independent effects of adverse childhood environment and MAOA genotype. High environmental adversity during childhood was associated significantly with violent behavior. Forty-five percent of violent, but only 30% of nonviolent individuals carried the low-activity, short MAOA allele. Most interestingly, an interaction effect between childhood environment and 5HTT genotype on violent behavior was found in that high adversity during childhood impacted only the later-life violence if the short promoter alleles were present. These findings indicate complex interactions between genetic variation of the serotonergic circuitry and environmental factors arguing against simplistic, mono-causal explanations of violent behavior."

http://www.nervenklinik.uk-wuerzburg.de/filea...
Another bravo!
Thank you Hiding, that was an interesting read and educative as well.
I'll remember this one.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#562129 Jul 25, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
...and it continues unconditionally.
That's not a part of my definition of authentic love because for me, it is not a condition of authentic love. That is, it need not be present. Here's the argument:

Unconditional love means love that would persist no matter what. How many people get that?

You could love the wrong person, and your love might be what I called authentic: selfless and supportive. But you might have to stop doing that someday because of things you didn't see or foresee. That doesn't diminish the quality of your love. It was still authentic.

What do you think?

Since: May 11

Ashford, UK

#562130 Jul 25, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>Whoah ~ must be really behind the times in the UK if you've never heard of cyber stalking. Ask IANS why he chose to create a fake ID ~ he should tell you it was so he could check up on Counter Strike, but he also added himself (in his fake form) to friends and ended up sending stupid messages to our family members.
A real charmer.....
I had no idea who counter strike is/was but from what I've gleaned so far he's one of those hateful posters who suddenly declared himself dead?...because that's never happened before on topix has it? LMAO

He[IANS] didn't add himself to anything, one cannot add oneself to anything, one requests to be added and is accepted. Sending messages to "our family members"? In what way are you related to the 'late' counterstrike? Or is this simply another hallmark flavoured term for the online christian topix family? Please do get a grip.

As for using a 'fake' ID, I'd say it was very smart, who would want the calibre of person with whom the 'late' counterstrike surrounded himself to be able to insert themselves into your life? You being a case in point. I would certainly mask my true ID before checking the voracity of the claims of your troll friends demise.

In what way were you stalked btw?

I've just acquainted myself with the calibre of Cournterstrike's postings and I'm forced to ask the question...why would someone with(as you say you did) an agonised homosexual brother feel any empathy with someone whose posts were as vile as those posted by the 'late' counterstrike?...because they were in the final analysis directed at your brother.

It's a rhetorical question, but we know you thrive on the collective misery of mourning.

If and it's a big 'if' there was a poster named counterstrike who is indeed, dead. I can honestly say that based upon the words I have read, nothing of value was lost. He provided very little of any consequence so he may as well be of some use and supply a little mirth in death. That's what you call honesty, you should try it some time.

If he wanted to be treated with respect post mortem then he should have treated others with respect ante-mortem.

You simply see an avenue to garner yet more attention by getting offended on his behalf and you will exploit his 'passing' to the fullest to achieve that aim.

Montreal

#562131 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>Please re-read what you posted above. They're not talking about permanent changes to DNA, they're talking about methylation triggers to genetic expression.

It never ceases to amaze me that the most scientifically ignorant people, like yourself, feel assured enough to make grandiose claims about topics to which you have absolutely zero understanding of.
See, this is why I didn't discuss this further with her.
I don't know anything really about DNA, only certain tidbits of science here and there.
So I don't discuss it further than my understanding.

It is the exact same thing with every other claim religious people make.
They don't understand the subject, but they make claims on it anyways based on their faith.
Their bible has no supporting evidence and instead holds many contradictions and fallacies such as the Earth being only 6'000 years old.

People like Serah never learn, and she is proud of her ignorance, as seen by her words on how the only "education" she needs is her faith.

Montreal

#562132 Jul 25, 2013
Serah wrote:
In the name of Jesus Christ, I pray, Dear Lord, see me through these hard times. In these troubling times, I am filled with unspeakable fears. I reach out my hand to you now, And ask you to walk besides me. I cannot carry all my burdens, But I know you can, and will. Please walk beside me. Please guide me. Please help me hold on strong, Through the trials and storms. Help me hold on to my faith, In even the darkest hour. Stay with me Lord, And show me Your way. In your love and Holy Spirit I abide. Amen.

https://www.google.com.au/search...
Love and your version of Christianity put together forms a humongous contradiction.

Montreal

#562133 Jul 25, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>Consider how the Bible is butchered and it is in pretty straight forward language. Why should one expect her to understand that which requires a University education in biology ?

"E=MCC" therefore we can change into pure energy."

Perhaps, if you are at the epicenter of a hydrogen bomb detonation...
It is doubtful that consciousness (data) would survive such a chaotic transition.
I love your posts.

“Thank you GOD for JESUS”

Since: Jul 07

And thank you JESUS for caring

#562134 Jul 25, 2013
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Sooo, what treatment are they recommending for the higher number of girls who are abused?
Actually, I'm not going to carry on with this topic anymore at all. G is right, I am way out of my league.

I will apologise to anyone I have offended over these last weeks and will never be able to explain why I feel the way I feel. It has been very personal and it is my life ~ not really meant to be shared with a group of strangers from all walks of life, all over the world.

My postings will be more Scriptural and Prayer like, pertaining more to the topic of the Forum ~ Cheers, Serah

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#562135 Jul 25, 2013
blind man n the bleachers wrote:
<quoted text>
There have been recent discoveries in regards to Down Syndrome. I think it has to do with the 47th chromosome that Down Syndrome babies are born with. They have been able to get the 47th chromosome to shut itself down. It is a long way from use in humans but it is a major development. It's a different subject I know. But it is quite interesting and hopeful.
.. and, if there is a gay gene and scientists can't switch the gene off, what then? Abort the fetus ??..

With Established Harem

#562136 Jul 25, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Getting the DNA to 'act' differently is possible. Manipulating the DNA in the egg is also done. Drugs can change DNA in new cell growth, as well. One of the drugs I will be taking causes mutations in new cells.
Life events however (like trauma) don't effect the structure of one's DNA.
.. thanks for the clarification ..

.. my hunch? Serah wants to find a reason for her brother's homosexuality instead if accepting what is ..

#562137 Jul 25, 2013
JuicyLullz wrote:
<quoted text>
Clearly. I'm still waiting for some link between trauma and altered DNA. Even a half feasible one would be nice. Did someone bash your head repeatedly with a giant bible made out of lead or do you just make this stuff up in an attempt to upset younger people? Just curious, see how I asked you straight out?
Actually, no; it was watching my Brother suffer his whole life, but in particular and specifically due to the scout master that molested him.

I watched him go bald among many other things, and saw the torment inside of him. He then contracted AIDs back in the early days when it was a real killer, and many of his friends died of the disease because it was all new.

He was sacked from his job because of the disease, has slept most of his life away because of the drugs, and is lonely. He is socially withdrawn, I guess you could call it, and although most say he would not have turned gay due to the molestation, they will also tell you there is no gay gene.

If anyone could be saved from the life he suffered by repairing or healing their trauma, then in my eyes at least, it would be a grand thing.

Straight out answer ~ and if no-one understands what I have written, so be it, I do, and it is not meant to be a mean thing, it is meant to be positive.

#562138 Jul 25, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. if childhood trauma decides someone's sexuality, all women that were molested by men as children would be lesbians. They're not ..
I'm not discussing this anymore HL, but statistically speaking, not all of anything that ever happens, unless it is perfect, is ever completely the same.

Since: May 11

Ashford, UK

#562139 Jul 25, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>[...]My postings will be more Scriptural and Prayer like, pertaining more to the topic of the Forum ~ Cheers, Serah
....because praying in text on topix smacks of such sincerity. LMFAO

With Established Harem

#562140 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
First, that's not a science source. That's someone with blog who didn't actually reference any of those citations, but appended them to the end as a bibliography.
Second, you're only posting them here to pretend their scientific research backs up your misunderstanding of what you read.
Third, apparently you didn't understand this key phrase: "We talk about DNA as if it’s a template, like a mold for a car part in a factory. But DNA isn’t really like that. It’s more like a script. Think of Romeo and Juliet, different directors using different actors produce different versions. Both productions used Shakespeare’s script, yet the two are entirely different. Identical starting points, different outcomes."
Now it's understandable why you missed that - it's not written very well.
DNA does not change or reverse in response to behavioral interactions, including trauma. What happens is that the brain starts producing certain emotions over others - fear, anxiety, etc - and this calls upon those parts of the DNA that generate the (proteins that build the) hormones for these reactions.
Your DNA is like a set of instructions. How you live your life, the experiences you have, determines which instructions are turned on and which off. The DNA itself remains unchanged by such processes, but merely differentially activated.
Last, instead of tossing references at me, go read them yourself. They don't claim what you're pretending they do. They write things like this:
"Aggressive behavior is influenced by variation in genes of the serotonergic circuitry and early-life experience alike. The present study aimed at investigating the contribution of polymorphisms shown to moderate transcription of two genes involved in serotonergic neurotransmission (serotonin transporter, 5HTT, and monoamine oxidase A, MAOA) to the development of violence and to test for gene–environment interactions relating to adverse childhood environment. A cohort of 184 adult male volunteers referred for forensic assessment participated in the study. Each individual was assigned to either a violent or a nonviolent group. Logistic regression was performed and the best-fitting model, with a predictive power of 74%, revealed independent effects of adverse childhood environment and MAOA genotype. High environmental adversity during childhood was associated significantly with violent behavior. Forty-five percent of violent, but only 30% of nonviolent individuals carried the low-activity, short MAOA allele. Most interestingly, an interaction effect between childhood environment and 5HTT genotype on violent behavior was found in that high adversity during childhood impacted only the later-life violence if the short promoter alleles were present. These findings indicate complex interactions between genetic variation of the serotonergic circuitry and environmental factors arguing against simplistic, mono-causal explanations of violent behavior."
http://www.nervenklinik.uk-wuerzburg.de/filea...
.. sure glad you're here for this one ..

.. unfortunately, Serah will probably be impervious to reason not because her conviction is strong but because, as a result of her religion, she has chosen to be impervious ..

#562141 Jul 25, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
Except for gays, right?
Isn't that the way your religion works?
There's always a blacklist, you've shown your ideas on it.
Lacez, I apologise for suggesting that if you could get your DNA fixed to become heterosexual, would you take up the chance. It was way out of line.

In not time, and never at all, have I ever suggested that GOD does not love all of HIS Children, and that love is a thing of the heart. It is between each of us and GOD that which determines our lives, and only GOD should Judge us accordingly.

I did suggest that to me, the planet is more important than worrying about whether gay people marry or not, and that there are other things to talk about.

Sorry for giving you an idea of a list of topics, it was sarcastic and stepping out of line. I guess you cannot let the topic of homosexuality drop in here, it is of supreme importance to you, and I should never have written I won't reply to your postings.

Did that to G a couple of years ago, and here I am still replying about the same old stuff. Take care Lacez, and keep on loving your fiance ~ love is a grand feeling!

With Established Harem

#562142 Jul 25, 2013
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Please re-read what you posted above. They're not talking about permanent changes to DNA, they're talking about methylation triggers to genetic expression.
It never ceases to amaze me that the most scientifically ignorant people, like yourself, feel assured enough to make grandiose claims about topics to which you have absolutely zero understanding of.
.. Serah doesn't understand switches and their affect on evolution. Perhaps you can provide a link which explains it in simple language ??..

#562143 Jul 25, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. thanks for the clarification ..
.. my hunch? Serah wants to find a reason for her brother's homosexuality instead if accepting what is ..
Good hunch HL ~ it has been hard watching him suffer so :(

#562144 Jul 25, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. sure glad you're here for this one ..
.. unfortunately, Serah will probably be impervious to reason not because her conviction is strong but because, as a result of her religion, she has chosen to be impervious ..
No HL ~ it is not a result of any religion. It is a result of experience.

#562145 Jul 25, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. and, if there is a gay gene and scientists can't switch the gene off, what then? Abort the fetus ??..
They are aborting fetus's now because they are the wrong sex, and using abortions as contraceptives. I believe you support the right to abort, HL, so why would this upset you?
Malone

Ashburn, VA

#562146 Jul 25, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>No HL ~ it is not a result of any religion. It is a result of experience.
Good morning.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 6 min Doctor My Eyes 88,758
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Redeemed Jersey P... 996,595
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 42 min Big Al 703,901
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 1 hr Big Al 223,087
"Doctor REALITY" is FOS 7 hr chick fill a 12
WARNING To GOP Republicans 8 hr Bernie fan 1
New girl reminds me too much of ex gf 8 hr Jimbo 2