Why Should Jesus Love Me?

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#560577 Jul 21, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
<quoted text>??? what an asinine illogical question, you must be a secular humanist.
Really?

Tarzan was the son of a British lord and lady. His mother died in childbirth and his father by the very apes that adopted him.

Tarzan is his ape name. His real English name was John Clayton, Earl Greystoke.

Here is his genealogy...

http://www.oldbooksmith.com/register-greystok...

Yes...most of us think he was a fictional character...but was he???

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#560578 Jul 21, 2013
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It's "horrible advice" to not fight?
It's horrible advice to turn the other cheek. Fighting is only one of several options that are different from turning the other cheek. Fighting when not necessary and turning the other cheek are the two worst. Can you think of any others? I can think of several, and they're all better than turning the other cheek.

And yes, I realize that you can say that those words mean whatever you want them to mean. I'm expecting you to tell me that they don't mean to turn the other cheek, but something you prefer, like "don't fight."

And I'm sure that that is what the men that wrote them want those words to mean. They don't want you resisting authority, and didn't really conceive of the situation in terms of there being other options. Times have changed, culture has evolved, people are different, and there are more options.

But I'm evaluating the words in terms of how they are being offered: as the advice of a perfect god. There is no room for evolution there, as you noted when you cited Malachi 3:6 "I the LORD do not change"

So how would a god write? I'm assuming that a god would be expected to be taken at face value. To speak to mankind in diffuse language would be like warning a child not to cross the street using Shakespeare. You wouldn't do it, and I don't accept that a god would, either.

But I do accept that people use their bibles to support whatever ethical system they prefer, and that such people really have no choice when dealing with contradictory scripture that they choose to ignore but to say that it doesn't mean what it appears to mean.

These are the clues that allow one to conclude that the bible is not the word of any god. It bears the mark of mankind, not divinity.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#560579 Jul 21, 2013
simplyput wrote:

No sir---society doesn't have anything to do with me wearing clothes.
I just wouldn't want to go around in public naked--Do you? or would YOU??
No, I wouldn't. Because I've been conditioned all my life to view clothes as a necessity and nudity as a private thing.

So have you.
Society also tries to put FASHION on us, tries to tell us that it is okay to bully others, to have affairs, to get drunk, to do drugs, and on and on.
Ya, I agree. But we were talking nudity, not fashion.
Society tries to run our lives, and some of us let it happen, and get hooked.
That is what I said also ==RESPECT is earned.
You and I know that we would loose a lot of respect if you saw a women walking around naked, you and I know that we would loose respect if we saw a man walking around naked.
I don't think I'd lose respect for someone that's walking around town naked. I know I'd be curious and want to take a peek, but I'd wonder what's that crazy woman doing walking around naked? We have conditioned ourselves to think that way.
Yes Society tries to TELL us a lot of things, but that does not make it as the 'Right thing to do'
Agreed. But that is a different topic.
I doubt if HL goes around in public NAKED--- but IF she does, and it wouldn't bother her to do so---then it sure's hell wouldn't bother her to ADMIT that she does.
I believe she was speaking hypothetically.
I don't know why some on here want to act like they are DIFFERENT and can prove what they are saying is FACT.
We are all different, my man.

Our differences make us stronger, so long as the differences are embraced.
Some just can't agree, they think it is saying---I was wrong, or they think, that is a poster no one likes so I better not agree with him/her.
OK. So do you agree with me?

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#560580 Jul 21, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning HL!
For the most part I think we all at times read in to someone's words what we want to find. We at times take things out of context because it fits our (for a lack of a better word) agenda.
I think we also base our interpretation of peoples words with the slant of how we feel about them. If we have already been engaged (past or present) with a poster we are much more likely to read a post as a negative view and see it as a personal attack. IMO
From past experience with Serah...
She is sensitive when it comes to conversations about fathers. The same thing happened between her and me...she took a statement that I made about fathers and turned it personal as if I too had made a direct statement about her and her father. It in no way was about her...I wasn't even exchanging posts with her at the time...but she was offended to the point of even saying that I must have had a horrible relationship with my own father.
I think it is normal for most people to over-react to subject matter that we have dealt with in our own lives. I have had to learn to be desensitized about a few things myself. Yet still...I find myself at times over-reacting.
Hope this made sense...it is early here...I need more coffee.
.. being bias makes perfect sense and when you compound it with extreme sensitivity, statements will be taken out of context ..

.. for me, the purpose of this thread is to try to overcome bias and unfounded prejudice through logic and clear communication. In some instances, the goal is achieved. Although these breakthroughs may appear small, they're huge ..

.. society, your son, benefit from them ..

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560581 Jul 21, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
RR has a different definition for "lie".
Lie:

Verb

Be in or assume a horizontal or resting position.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560582 Jul 21, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go with your daffynitions again! LOL
I'm sorry.

I won't use the big words around you...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560583 Jul 21, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Never got a hangover from vodka, that's why it was my favorite booze...next to Everclear.
I never get a hangover from beer, whiskey or tequila.

But that gawd damned vodka, man....

Praise Sheesh that shit messes me up.

Fennario

#560584 Jul 21, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
What do we have at the salad bar today? I see some "eye for an eye" and some "turn the other cheek". Hmmm, I think I'm in the mood for...
Nice post. The cafeteria is open 24/7 to serve your ethical needs.
Tide with Beach wrote:
I don't suppose Christianity teaches you a better alternative for dealing with confrontations.
It doesn't.
Tide with Beach wrote:
If you want to put the issue to rest, you need to go through a process. Clearly define what the disagreement is, express your ideal outcome, consider what compromises you can make, and work towards the middle. When you feel you can go no further, express an interest in respecting the differences that remain.
As you know, that process is a modern process, the one suggested by rational ethicists (humanist ethics) and and the Affirmations of Humanism, one that was apparently unknown to the bible authors.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#560585 Jul 21, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
Well....I'll catch up Later
Bye!!
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I read that you love the red lips (I on the other hand...). So your red lips are from me.
:-)
Good morning!
.. Epi and you are, well, a couple ??..

.. who would have thought? This entire time I thought Epi was a married Christian and you a luscious, delectable female into men ..

.. nice covers. Can't fool HL any longer ..

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560586 Jul 21, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I did an anagram for you.
nanoanomoly
no, a loony man
I made one for you;

A bit witched, eh

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560587 Jul 21, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes - he is out of line..
RR, to me, stands for Repulsive Repulsive..
Aw, you're sweet.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560588 Jul 21, 2013
Lacez wrote:
<quoted text>
It's obviously not based on reality, for the fact is that pedophiles and child molesters are straight makes the HUGE majority of the time.
Back on topic though; if it doesn't happen across any other species, then it isn't natural.
Another thing that isn't natural is religion.
Tide says that everything is natural....

I tend to agree.

You may not like homophobia, but it naturally get in people's heads.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560589 Jul 21, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
http://www.topix.com/forum/top stories/T0N0LORUMAROFEJGO/post 560111
<quoted text>
Yes. It's called distance psychoanalysis.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1780490135
I've been interviewing him for months. He's provided us all with enough data. We see his moods and thought processes, and we know a lot about his proclivities by his history and his present situation. That's all you ever get even with face-to-face interviewing.
You can Google dozens of psychoanalytical reports of Hitler also done remotely, even without interviews. It is enough to evaluate the record of his words and deeds. Could you make the diagnosis of psychopath in that case?
Interview me next, Herr Doktor.

Unless you already have.....

What's the prognosis?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560590 Jul 21, 2013
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I keep lists of items that I have used in previous posting and will likely want again, such as the scriptures that describe the earth's shape, or the obscene ones, or the ones denigrating intelligence, or the ones contradicting one another. I can be looking at any of those in seconds. And of course, I can update them just as effortlessly as I do the list of excuses for why skeptics can't contradict Christians about the bible. Every time I see one, I add it. It makes for some entertaining reading.
Similarly, I also keep a list of links to posts on topics that I address frequently, and excerpt pieces from, making improvements in them and custom modifications to fit the situation. Why reinvent the wheel every time?
I also keep some trivial and humorous lists, like the list of nanoanomaly insults, or the list of her Topix excesses that you called "sleazy stalking." I realized early on that she would need frequent reality checks.
I have some lists that you might enjoy. I wrote a ton of eye jokes for Scaritual a few years back, such as Scarituals play-list (the last two entries were written by Khatru):
Smoke Get’s In Your Eye
Brow Eyed Girl
Eye Without A Face
Taking Sclera Business
("Do") Ya Pink Eye'm Sexy?
Stye Pilot
Cilium Tell Overture
Don’t Wink Twice
I've Been Working on The Braille Road
Oh Glaucoma!
Here are a few other gags written to him:
"I found a ninja outfit in your size with an elastic waistband:"
http://www.splotchy.com/images/blog/eyepatch....
"I used to take out a glass eye once. She wasn't as humorous as other eyes, but she sure could focus. Nevertheless, she got was continually getting cross with me. I tried to patch things, but eventually I had to drop her."
"When you're out looking to find you some pink eye to poke, do you find yourself drawn more to a bushy brow, or to the trimmed? How do you feel about pierced brows?"
"Do you have to pay full price at 3D movies? How does that work?"
"Assuming the banks even lens you the money - and they may consider you too irisk - cornea afford the monthly payment?"
"Don’t you hate getting gouged?"
"Socket to me"
"You’ve got your nerve."
"Does your health insurance have an eye benefit?
<quoted text>
I don't think so. Why would that be a problem? Do you imagine that they takes a lot of my time or energy? They don't. And the habit is a huge asset. I get a lot of benefit from these lists as I explained earlier. It's how I learn most things, like vocabulary. Here is a piece of my growing list of words describing women:
abigail - a waiting woman
accoucheuse - a female midwife,
anile - old-womanish
apoglutic– having a small rump
baffona - a woman with a slight moustache
barristress - female attorney
bathykolpian - having large breasts and a deep cleavage
bawd - cathouse madam
beldam - a grandmother
bim - loose woman or prostitute
bivirist – a woman who has two male partners at once
blowze – fat woman dressed like a slattern
bondwoman - female slave
bonne - any female servant
burgeyse - a female citizen (also, a citizette)
callipygian – having a beautiful ass
cantatrice - a professional female singer
caryatid - a supporting column carved as a woman
chaterestre – a woman who talks too much
chauffeuse - a female driver
clarty-paps – a slovenly wife
clipster – female barber
coiffuse - a woman hair stylist
consolatrix - a female comforter or consoler
coquette - a young, flirty woman
cotquean - a vulgar, ill-mannered woman prone to scolding
courtesan - woman who cohabits with an important man
I understand why you do it, IANS. It just seems a bit obsessive.

I amy be wrong...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560591 Jul 21, 2013
<quoted text>
With you, it seems that it goes right from things that you would do to disease states. You don't seem to be able to imagine anybody doing more than you do without an obsession or compulsion to drive them. What I am is ambitious and energetic. I want to know as much as I can as well as I can.
Memory is where much of my list material is headed, some just for reference. The medical knowledge. vocabulary, and bridge systems need to be learned to be useful. Lists facilitate putting the data in memory. Raw memory without effort yields a rather small and flawed data base.
Here on Topix, the Christians tend to disparage all of that. They reduce it to terms like OCD and stalking. Imagine how impressed I am by that reaction.
Indeed....

Well stated.

Carry on.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560592 Jul 21, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
RR....You look like "Paul Bunyan"...LOL
You should see my axe....

Fennario

#560593 Jul 21, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey! I use the ice cream argument.
The circle one is new to me.
Have you spied any good movies lately?
I see so few movies any more. My time, although all free now, is pretty well spoken for. I keep being offered collections of DVDs of beloved series from HBO, Showtime, etc., and I decline them.

I'm way out of the entertainment media loop altogether, so sorry

But I'm pretty useful for late 20th century movies. I saw pretty much everything until about ten years ago. But I imagine that you're pretty familiar with most of that yourself already. I just recommended "Powder."

Fennario

#560594 Jul 21, 2013
Tide with Beach wrote:
I hear [Bush is] into painting now.
Is he using brushes yet?

Don't you miss that kind of humor? President T-ball, Commander-in-Chimp, Pinky and the Brain (with Cheney), born on third base and thought he hit a triple.

And the quotes. There were enough for a daily calendar. I had one.

Fennario

#560595 Jul 21, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay.....Group Hug?????
Are you being nice to me, Epi, or sarcastic? I'll be glad to be your friend, but you know who I am and what I believe. Is that OK?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#560597 Jul 21, 2013
<quoted text>
It's horrible advice to turn the other cheek. Fighting is only one of several options that are different from turning the other cheek. Fighting when not necessary and turning the other cheek are the two worst. Can you think of any others? I can think of several, and they're all better than turning the other cheek.
And yes, I realize that you can say that those words mean whatever you want them to mean. I'm expecting you to tell me that they don't mean to turn the other cheek, but something you prefer, like "don't fight."
And I'm sure that that is what the men that wrote them want those words to mean. They don't want you resisting authority, and didn't really conceive of the situation in terms of there being other options. Times have changed, culture has evolved, people are different, and there are more options.
But I'm evaluating the words in terms of how they are being offered: as the advice of a perfect god. There is no room for evolution there, as you noted when you cited Malachi 3:6 "I the LORD do not change"
So how would a god write? I'm assuming that a god would be expected to be taken at face value. To speak to mankind in diffuse language would be like warning a child not to cross the street using Shakespeare. You wouldn't do it, and I don't accept that a god would, either.
But I do accept that people use their bibles to support whatever ethical system they prefer, and that such people really have no choice when dealing with contradictory scripture that they choose to ignore but to say that it doesn't mean what it appears to mean.
These are the clues that allow one to conclude that the bible is not the word of any god. It bears the mark of mankind, not divinity.
"Turn the other cheek" means not to return insult for insult in retaliation, which is what most people expect and how a lot of people act.

Responding to hatred with love get's a persons attention and usually throws them for a loop.

Jesus was a perfect example of turning the other cheek because He did not force 'revenge from heaven' on those who crucified Him.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 15 min NotSoDivineMsM 45,815
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 19 min Eagle 12 - 6,689
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 24 min Eagle 12 - 990,659
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 26 min Michael 691,916
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 1 hr Classic 4,396
__POPE & ISRAEL to SIGN Historic Agreement__ 1 hr Dec 2017 News 1
Why are Europeans a race of savages, thieves, a... (Jun '15) 3 hr Exposing Devil Lies 368
More from around the web