“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#556901 Jul 13, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You're pretending, clown.
Christians so a lot of that.
get another cup of joe, chess and stop posting dumb posts ya hear?
mike

AOL

#556902 Jul 13, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Two? Who me and God?...LOL
My interpretation to the verse (I'm Not taking each word and dissecting it)is.....There will be alot of people who think if they are a GOOD person and do nice things to people...that they will go to heaven. The NARROW GATE is Belief in JESUS....If people accept Jesus as their personal savior and confess their sins...and turn their life over to him they will be able to "Enter the Narrow Gate".....God talks to me with a "still...small voice". Sometimes I need to get away from all the NOISE going on to hear him.
I realize not everyone believes this way...and I am not tearing someone down because they don't....It is like walking down a road and taking detours and falling into pits....Life is a Learning Experience
Just so you know,....belief does not mean fact.

No one has been to heaven, you simply believe you will get there.
Boasting you will get there is something a nut would do.

A GOD talks to you in a still small voice?...so cliche'

Why does a GOD ignore your so-called prayer?

“~ Prince of Peace~”

Since: Apr 08

~ And the greatest is LOVE~

#556903 Jul 13, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>The selection of course was from the Sermon On The Mount, ostensibly Jesus' single longest "sermon". Scholarly consensus holds that it's probably more likley a collection of Jesus' sayings, rather than a single sermon. That makes sense, because if read as sermon, it's rather disjointed, with passages not really leading smoothly one to the next, as a proper "sermon" would be.
But as it is, it still contains some of the most beloved and quoted verses of Jesus' ministry. And I would have anyone notice, that, spanning three chapters, it still says not a word about exclusivity of belief. Here Jesus has 5000 people listening, not even counting women and children, people who may hear him this once and never again, and he says nothing close to, "Believe and be saved, disbelieve and be damned."
In Matthew 25, Jesus speaks of the final reckoning, of the sorting of the Sheep and the Goats. Not a word about exclusivity, it's all about how one lived, what one did with one's blessings. Many who merely "say the right thing", will still be turned away. Likewise in his lesson to Nicodemus. The man earnestly asks him straight up, "What must I do to be saved?" Jesus is touched to the heart about the man's sincerity. He answers him with love, but says nothing about "believe in me". Over and over again, examples may be found of Jesus teaching about right living and the rewards thereof, and nothing about exclusivity.
Yet they are there, these verses of "belief" sprinkled throughout, that's undeniable. I don't pretend to know for certain just why he seems to says one thing here and another there, but a smattering of knowledge about the origins of "orthodoxy" provides a clue, I think.
There were many sects sprung up following Jesus' death. This is historical fact. Someone may have felt it necessary to provide a sorting tool of their own, so that we might know "them" from "us". It's human nature to do so. A student of human nature might also know that the simple, who can't quite grasp the totality of a complex and mysterious set of teachings, will easily latch onto verses that state unequivocally what one "must do", and run with it, at the expense of all the other, harder teachings. If one's goal is primarily to increase the earthly flock, then it's indispensable to provide the masses with these "Easy Buttons". It should be no surprise that those who cling to and repeat these verses most vociferously, without seeming awareness of the balancing tensions present in the teachings as a whole, also tend to be rigid and dogmatic personalities in general.
I think it's obvious that a just God would make provision for all his children, not just those that murmur the "correct" creed. Creeds are a human thing - a secret club handshake, as it were. Man's fingerprints can be found all over the sacred writings. The lifelong task is striving to discern what is human and what is divine, and actualize it in one's life.
Peace, I say!
;)
HipG
Thanks HipG.....You and I disagree on that verse...But that is OK.....Course you are MUCH more articulate...(You have written a book haven't you?) Hey I would buy it (course you would have to sign it for me.....LOL)

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556904 Jul 13, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks
I feel the same about you,..I mean, using mental telepathy to encourage and help folk.
Then...WE have a MUTUAL ADMIRATION Society

PePe

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Since: Feb 09

Florida, USA

#556905 Jul 13, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
She asked you to show a single word actually written by any deity.
You are still being a jerk.
"I have an Abraham Lincoln autograph I wrote." - HU
<face palm>
No!
She said;
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Show me a word from teh God or stop lying.
Just one word.
She didn't ask me. It was a general request.

She didn't stipulate whom should do the actually writting, nor did she ask for print.

And she responded to a conversation between Le_le and Apples in which they were referencing the Holy Bible and the God of Abraham ...not just any diety.

And just to be clear; you don't define me, and I sure as hell don't need you to do my thinking for me.

I believe you to be a fraud Duane ...and an immensely insecure man.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#556906 Jul 13, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>Here's two words ...I Am.
.. here's six simple words ..

.. I am, you are, life is ..

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556907 Jul 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes to both questions.
Andrew "Dean" Edwards of Jamaica according to Facebook.
I have known who many of you are for months, mostly through your Facebook interactions. Do not be alarmed by that. I respect your privacy and peace of mind, as I did with Duane.
Then you see...We can't be anything but WHAT WE ARE....Dean was very young and well liked....Why don't you friend someone in the group? No religion will be discussed....Or do you like the "Stalkerish" feeling...(I know about them...but they don't know who I am).....LOL

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556908 Jul 13, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text> Just so you know,....belief does not mean fact.
No one has been to heaven, you simply believe you will get there.
Boasting you will get there is something a nut would do.
A GOD talks to you in a still small voice?...so cliche'
Why does a GOD ignore your so-called prayer?
PHEW.....Does it stink in here....Oh...I think it is that skunk over there.....

Tell me Michael...Do you know what a BELIEF means? Does it look like the word FACT?

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Florida, USA

#556909 Jul 13, 2013
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that an unreasonable request?
Not in my point of view.
<quoted text>
A tablet is fine. A book would work if it was actually written by a god. A blank check would be better but I'd accept a cancelled one if it was actually signed by a god.
Is the book or check or tablet written or signed by a god?
That depends on who you ask.
<quoted text>
How is that my fault? Can the believer show me a GOD Word?
You can lead a horse to water ...no one is forcing you to believe.
<quoted text>
I disagree. It's a public forum. The words are typed and the words are read. If the writer wanted privacy, the writer was mistaken.
Agreed. My point is you were not part of the original conversation between Le_le and Apples ...but you already knew that.
<quoted text>
Nope. The posts are set in concrete. If you say that you understand the Word of God then show me a Word of God.
It's as if you are looking for someone to give a rats petunia.
It's not about Christians, HU. If you tell me that an alien shoved a probe up your ass and took a sample and expect me to not be skeptical, then show me the alien, the sample (whoa, back off) or the probe.
I can tell you what I believe ...but I really don't care if you accept it or not ...alian, sample, probe, or book.
<quoted text>
It's a lie to me and to you. Have you been institutionalized? Would you like to know what I've heard? Bible stories are like kindergarten books to some of the people I've met.
They were believers too. I saw no proof of their assertions either.
Yet you continue to seek. Good for you.
<quoted text>
I will. I have no choice.
Some people like me the way I am.
:-)
As do I.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#556910 Jul 13, 2013
Peace_Warrior wrote:
I appreciate you telling me, and sharing, and didn't know Christianity was such a force to contend with in the West until you told me.
That's fine, but perhaps you shouldn't be arguing about something that you are unfamiliar with. You seemed to think that I was overstating our problem.
Peace_Warrior wrote:
Vile and violent incidents in the hands of supposed to be Christian people, in truth is a human rights issue
They are Christian people, or they wouldn't be killing their children based on their understanding of Christian principles, would they?

I understand that you think that your religion is goodness and light, and therefore that the badness associated with it is not a part of it. I don't agree. The badness of the religion is my point. The church facilitates it in many ways that I have multiple times enumerated elsewhere
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/T0N0LOR...

You seem to suffer from the same confirmation bias as Riverside Redneck and so many other Christians posting. You have decided a priori that the church is good, and evaluate all occurrences based on that. The bad is systematically excised from the equation and reassigned elsewhere, confirming your premise.

But I don't have any reason to defend the church, and so see the same things differently. So does this guy:

"Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it, you'd have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. For good people to do evil things, it takes religion." – Nobelist Steven Weinberg

Don't confuse your personal journey with the church. One may be pure and wholesome, but I assure you that the other is not.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556911 Jul 13, 2013
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think so.
<quoted text>
I don't have an opinion about what such people should do.
<quoted text>
You seem to be doing a little crying here yourself, Ken.
Oooh....Here comes the STALKER....Watch out... I'm watching you and KNOW what you did last summer....

Chi...Chi...Chi...Caw...Caw... Caw

With Established Harem

#556912 Jul 13, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text>You can shove those "icons" right up your ass where they belong.
What I have stated is truth and actuality. It is YOU that can not handle the truth.
If not ...PROVE ME WRONG!
.. take pride in those icons ..

.. you've reached people and they don't like it ..

.. icons reflect the level of 'spiritual discernment'..
mike

AOL

#556913 Jul 13, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
PHEW.....Does it stink in here....Oh...I think it is that skunk over there.....
Tell me Michael...Do you know what a BELIEF means? Does it look like the word FACT?
Thanks

That's what i've been asking you believers, why do you feel what you believe is fact?

Fact is fact, it needs no belief!

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556914 Jul 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>You're in ~ actually, we better add Sister Granny to the Band Wagon, LOL, so what is five? Quins!! How about that :)
xxx
Sounds good to me.....

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Florida, USA

#556915 Jul 13, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Meltdown.
Is that what that was?
Thanks CJ ...
I saw my name in there and wondered how I became a part of yours and G's conversation.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556916 Jul 13, 2013
Serah wrote:
<quoted text>I'm so glad I came home tonight ~ was going to stay in the unit that I am renting, but packed up Pugstar and the car and jumped on the computer. I don't bother looking at the Icons, but every now and then I get a chance to give a heart to a posting I have enjoyed. How are you settling in Quintuplet Sister of mine? I think a holiday somewhere near your neck of the woods would be perfect :)
Well...we had the Fourth of July (Independence day) last week. My sons birthday is next week.....How do you like the place you are renting? Give Pugstar a hug from me....

>>>H_U_G_S<< <

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556917 Jul 13, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks
That's what i've been asking you believers, why do you feel what you believe is fact?
Fact is fact, it needs no belief!
And Belief is Belief....It needs NO FACT

With Established Harem

#556918 Jul 13, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>The selection of course was from the Sermon On The Mount, ostensibly Jesus' single longest "sermon". Scholarly consensus holds that it's probably more likley a collection of Jesus' sayings, rather than a single sermon. That makes sense, because if read as sermon, it's rather disjointed, with passages not really leading smoothly one to the next, as a proper "sermon" would be.
But as it is, it still contains some of the most beloved and quoted verses of Jesus' ministry. And I would have anyone notice, that, spanning three chapters, it still says not a word about exclusivity of belief. Here Jesus has 5000 people listening, not even counting women and children, people who may hear him this once and never again, and he says nothing close to, "Believe and be saved, disbelieve and be damned."
In Matthew 25, Jesus speaks of the final reckoning, of the sorting of the Sheep and the Goats. Not a word about exclusivity, it's all about how one lived, what one did with one's blessings. Many who merely "say the right thing", will still be turned away. Likewise in his lesson to Nicodemus. The man earnestly asks him straight up, "What must I do to be saved?" Jesus is touched to the heart about the man's sincerity. He answers him with love, but says nothing about "believe in me". Over and over again, examples may be found of Jesus teaching about right living and the rewards thereof, and nothing about exclusivity.
Yet they are there, these verses of "belief" sprinkled throughout, that's undeniable. I don't pretend to know for certain just why he seems to says one thing here and another there, but a smattering of knowledge about the origins of "orthodoxy" provides a clue, I think.
There were many sects sprung up following Jesus' death. This is historical fact. Someone may have felt it necessary to provide a sorting tool of their own, so that we might know "them" from "us". It's human nature to do so. A student of human nature might also know that the simple, who can't quite grasp the totality of a complex and mysterious set of teachings, will easily latch onto verses that state unequivocally what one "must do", and run with it, at the expense of all the other, harder teachings. If one's goal is primarily to increase the earthly flock, then it's indispensable to provide the masses with these "Easy Buttons". It should be no surprise that those who cling to and repeat these verses most vociferously, without seeming awareness of the balancing tensions present in the teachings as a whole, also tend to be rigid and dogmatic personalities in general.
I think it's obvious that a just God would make provision for all his children, not just those that murmur the "correct" creed. Creeds are a human thing - a secret club handshake, as it were. Man's fingerprints can be found all over the sacred writings. The lifelong task is striving to discern what is human and what is divine, and actualize it in one's life.
Peace, I say!
;)
HipG
.. folks, this is spiritual discernment in its finest hour ..

.. always a pleasure to read you Hip ..

hick-up

“squuuze me”

Florida, USA

#556919 Jul 13, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Joe Bidden can't
But he is very good at grinning.

“~ Prince of Peace~”

#556920 Jul 13, 2013
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. take pride in those icons ..
.. you've reached people and they don't like it ..
.. icons reflect the level of 'spiritual discernment'..
So we should Prideful...HUH?

M-kay.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 11 min Steve III 44,649
George Soros Is a Brilliant Investor 11 min Truthiness 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 14 min Rosesz 646,405
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 19 min Truthiness 16
Calling Doctor Reality Calling Dr Reality WHERE... 23 min Charles 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 34 min Neville Thompson 281,234
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Aura Mytha 48,211
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Rosa_Winkel 971,606
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 5 hr Annaleigh 105,560
More from around the web