Why Should Jesus Love Me?

Since: Oct 12

Location hidden

#556779 Jul 12, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Old dogs, children and watermelon wine.
My mom and dad always requested I play and sing that for them when I visited.
Making me cry again. I need hugs.
Do you remember the one tune that went something like this.

I love bread and butter,I love toast and jam and the rest was about a lovin man. It is late fellow and I goofy again.lol

I like the lyric to I want to be your boggie man.
By KC Band.

Ok if you want them (((G_O_D))) Do you like watermelon??

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#556780 Jul 12, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Considering that none of the canonical texts are original documents, you are correct. They are all 2nd and 3rd century forgeries.
There is nothing from a single personal alive at the time of Jesus, let alone eye witnesses. They would be in Aramaic.
So you don't think the even "Greek forgery" know as Mark says "But now go and tell his disciples, and Peter, that he will be in Galilee before you." ?
Same thing in Matthew: "And, listen, he goes before you into Galilee!"
Note also that all four canonical gospels give a completely different story of the events at the tomb.
Convoluted apologetic in 1... 2... 3...
ROFLMAO
Incorrect, as usual.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#556781 Jul 12, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Honestly.. I can not tell you what that means..
Can you tell me what that means?? Word for word??!
Have you seen this narrow gates?
Why in the world is the road to life only intended for a few???
Does God talk to you?
Can you two give me any answers?
The selection of course was from the Sermon On The Mount, ostensibly Jesus' single longest "sermon". Scholarly consensus holds that it's probably more likley a collection of Jesus' sayings, rather than a single sermon. That makes sense, because if read as sermon, it's rather disjointed, with passages not really leading smoothly one to the next, as a proper "sermon" would be.

But as it is, it still contains some of the most beloved and quoted verses of Jesus' ministry. And I would have anyone notice, that, spanning three chapters, it still says not a word about exclusivity of belief. Here Jesus has 5000 people listening, not even counting women and children, people who may hear him this once and never again, and he says nothing close to, "Believe and be saved, disbelieve and be damned."

In Matthew 25, Jesus speaks of the final reckoning, of the sorting of the Sheep and the Goats. Not a word about exclusivity, it's all about how one lived, what one did with one's blessings. Many who merely "say the right thing", will still be turned away. Likewise in his lesson to Nicodemus. The man earnestly asks him straight up, "What must I do to be saved?" Jesus is touched to the heart about the man's sincerity. He answers him with love, but says nothing about "believe in me". Over and over again, examples may be found of Jesus teaching about right living and the rewards thereof, and nothing about exclusivity.

Yet they are there, these verses of "belief" sprinkled throughout, that's undeniable. I don't pretend to know for certain just why he seems to says one thing here and another there, but a smattering of knowledge about the origins of "orthodoxy" provides a clue, I think.

There were many sects sprung up following Jesus' death. This is historical fact. Someone may have felt it necessary to provide a sorting tool of their own, so that we might know "them" from "us". It's human nature to do so. A student of human nature might also know that the simple, who can't quite grasp the totality of a complex and mysterious set of teachings, will easily latch onto verses that state unequivocally what one "must do", and run with it, at the expense of all the other, harder teachings. If one's goal is primarily to increase the earthly flock, then it's indispensable to provide the masses with these "Easy Buttons". It should be no surprise that those who cling to and repeat these verses most vociferously, without seeming awareness of the balancing tensions present in the teachings as a whole, also tend to be rigid and dogmatic personalities in general.

I think it's obvious that a just God would make provision for all his children, not just those that murmur the "correct" creed. Creeds are a human thing - a secret club handshake, as it were. Man's fingerprints can be found all over the sacred writings. The lifelong task is striving to discern what is human and what is divine, and actualize it in one's life.

Peace, I say!
;)
HipG

“Educating the uneducated”

Since: Aug 12

Montreal

#556782 Jul 12, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>Ugh.
Sorry.

I am a very misinformed advocate..

I fly by my heart on issues concerning human nature.. rights ,
here on wsjlm..

Yes. We are born the way we are..
Guess I wasn't born a Christian though..

The Christians set me straight on that...
Yeah, that's a little different.

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#556783 Jul 12, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were put in a situation where you had the following choices:
1. Save a millions of soldiers lives but kill tens of thousands of civilians.
2. Let millions of soldiers die but save tens of thousands of civilians.
Which is the "Right" thing to do ?
all lives have equal value.

If I am in charge of decisions, and I have soldiers, I have made at least one poor decision.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#556784 Jul 12, 2013
Epiphany2 wrote:
<quoted text>
How did you see Andrews picture....Did you check him out on Facebook? I remember you checked out Duane also when you two were fighting....Did you check us all out?....
Yes to both questions.

Andrew "Dean" Edwards of Jamaica according to Facebook.

I have known who many of you are for months, mostly through your Facebook interactions. Do not be alarmed by that. I respect your privacy and peace of mind, as I did with Duane.

Fennario

#556785 Jul 12, 2013
lil whispers wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I have to disagree with you. It is really best that I stick to sitting on the sidelines with scripture. I shall explain when I am tired I tend to want to play with others. Last night I choose teapot to pick on and play with. Most people get cranky but I get way to playful it is one of my many flaws. lol lol but glad you enjoyed it. I can get right down sinful too another flaw.
I love your playfulness.

I realize that you are a humble person and consider your own words worthless compared to scripture. But surely you must understand that it is the other way around for me. Only your own words have any value to me. That's when the inner Whispers shines through.

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#556786 Jul 12, 2013
The Christian's walk through life.

Never waver. The prize is at the end of the narrow path no matter who you have to knock over to get there.

The only road I know.

“The future begins”

every moment

#556787 Jul 12, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were put in a situation where you had the following choices:
1. Save a millions of soldiers lives but kill tens of thousands of civilians.
2. Let millions of soldiers die but save tens of thousands of civilians.
Which is the "Right" thing to do ?
The simple answer is save the most. The uniform or lack thereof has no bearing, at least in the bare context as presented.

Now if those civilians are all at a Sarah Palin book signing, the choice is ever so much easier....;)

“The future begins”

every moment

#556788 Jul 12, 2013
Le_le wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh.
Sorry.
I am a very misinformed advocate..
I fly by my heart on issues concerning human nature.. rights ,
here on wsjlm..
Yes. We are born the way we are..
Guess I wasn't born a Christian though..
The Christians set me straight on that...
>grin<
Roger that.

Sounds like me in my very earliest days on Topix.

“The future begins”

every moment

#556789 Jul 12, 2013
hick-up wrote:
<quoted text>
And beware of ravenous wolves that would have one believe the wide gate is the road to glory. When in reality the wide gate is a lie leading to distruction. And few will put forth the extra effort to attain the riches of the narrow gate.

Seek ...
...and find a good ol topix pal.

Nice add.

Gooda "see" ya, hickumup!

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#556790 Jul 12, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>The simple answer is save the most. The uniform or lack thereof has no bearing, at least in the bare context as presented.
Now if those civilians are all at a Sarah Palin book signing, the choice is ever so much easier....;)
Sarah Palin can sign a book?

“The future begins”

every moment

#556791 Jul 12, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Note that "the 613" were "canonized" by Orthodox Judaism thanks to Maimonides circa 1150 AD.
Some are ridiculous, "Do not cook a baby goat in its mothers milk" became "Never let meat and dairy products near each other".
Jews are just as goofy as everyone else.
Most are surprised to learn that's one of the 10 Commandments. Really. Check it out.

Fennario

#556792 Jul 12, 2013
Skombolis wrote:
On Topix, while not common, one could occasionally get people to open their minds and consider something different or concede a point or find common ground. Some still will.but mostly it is just trolls jockeying for group position. Honest reflection is almost nonexistent
Senecus wrote:
He mentions no one in particular, writes in general terms. And , in that form , I agree with his statement whole-heartily, lest there be any doubt.
Sorry to be so slow responding to this. I have not had much time for Topix lately.

I don't (agree with Skombolis). He names only two categories of posters: those looking to debate the other team with what he calls an open mind, and trolls, by which I presume he means people trying to disrupt discussion. I'm neither. I have long ago given up trying to influence believers, and I am not here as a gremlin. That would bore me.

His comment about honest reflection is just as wrong and self-centered as his comment about open minds. He is not a fit judge of either.

Fennario

#556793 Jul 13, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
The fundamentalist Christian tries to use misinterpreted images of hell to scare people, while atheists trot out alleged old testament massacres to justify their disbelief. Neither extremist group realizes that both are hyperbole for the purpose of emphasizing a particular point.
The bulk of the Christian church uses hell as a weapon of psychological terrorism, mostly against children. They are hardly extremists. The outliers are the ones calling hell theology metaphor.

And you characterize skeptic improperly as well. When we refer to Old Testament genocide, it is not to disprove the existence of your god. It is to demonstrate the murderous nature of the character depicted, usually to show the contradiction between what your bible calls calls perfect love, and what reasonable people call love. Nobody is an extremist for pointing that inconsistency out, and it is not hyperbole.
Roman Apologist wrote:
Some friends and I were sitting and talking recently, and we came to the conclusion that the bible is misinterpreted because of how each reader lives their lives.
I am weary of the claims of apologists about how their bible is misunderstood. It has no definite meaning. As I said, virtually any position and its opposite can be maintained by faith and supported by selected biblical passages. It's comical to see Christians arguing about it:

"Saved by faith!"
"By works!"
"By faith!"
"By works!"

"Once saved always saved!"
"Not!"
"Is!"
"Not"
"Is!"
"Not!"
"Is!"

"Old Law has expired!"
"Not one jot nor tittle!"
"Expired!"
"Jots and tittles!"

Fennario

#556794 Jul 13, 2013
Roman Apologist wrote:
A doctor, lawyer, scientist, or engineer are so used to reading their professional documentation literally, that metaphor, allegory, parables, hyperbole, and analogies are like another language unto themselves.
That's incorrect. I am a physician and am quite capable of understanding both technical language, ordinary speech, and literature including symbolic language.

You Christians like to tell the rest of us that we can't understand your bible in order to exclude the opinions of unbelievers. I collect those excuses for fun:

http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T...

The list has grown since then. Here are the latest entries:

[25] You have no reference in the knowledge of God to know our experience in Christ Jesus. The Word has to be embedded in one's heart, and that can come from God only.
[26] You're asking me to give you a four year bible study course on Topix?
[27] Dont fall in the trap of being a one verse wonder. You need to understand the passage and true meaning of the verse.
[28] You're only making a fool out of yourself trying to argue over something that you are not Blessed to understand.
[29] When you read scripture, one has to discern WHO that particular verse was written to..The believer or the Non believer. If we cant understand that then YES, the bible would seem to be very contradicting.
Roman Apologist wrote:
Even if it's written in the dominant language of a specific culture, it's still like a foreign language. Metaphors and parables today in Western culture are to the English language, what the compass is to the GPS. Forgotten. Archaic.
I guess that your god didn't give that enough thought when he chose to write a book rather than blaze his message directly into the minds of men. I could have told him that languages evolve, and that one bible fixed in an ancient version of a foreign language won't do for an entire world for two millennia.

Fennario

#556795 Jul 13, 2013
I forgot the last and latest entry to the above list, number thirty:

[30] A doctor, lawyer, scientist, or engineer are so used to reading their professional documentation literally, that metaphor, allegory, parables, hyperbole, and analogies are like another language unto themselves.

Fennario

#556796 Jul 13, 2013
HipGnosis wrote:
Out of all the people you've ever met in your life, John Coffey is here to tell you what you >>must do<< to be "saved". But wait a bit. Before long, his head will spin around and tell you that salvation comes by faith, thru grace, not works.
"Saved by faith!"
"By works!"
"By faith!"
"By works!"

Then each will tell you why only he is qualified to decide these matters, and how the other guy is Satan, even if the other guy is himself two posts earlier.

Fennario

#556797 Jul 13, 2013
MisterCharrington wrote:
<quoted text>
The druids in Wales want their Stonehenge back...
I think they were told if you can get them back the way they arrived, then you can have them.
LOL. Pretty funny.

Fennario

#556799 Jul 13, 2013
trifecta1 wrote:
I'm not ashamed to be part of the Christian religion.
Sure you are. Why else would you use the word "religion" as an insult?
trifecta1 wrote:
You can speak about Christianity all you like.
Thanks.

Most Christians that have expressed an opinion on the matter wish I would stop. I'll tell them to take it up with you in the future.
trifecta1 wrote:
Christianity [enjoys]the secular backlash against it.
Then it's a win-win! We both benefit.
trifecta1 wrote:
no honest person is ashamed of faith and religion.
Maybe. But you are.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 min Aussie Kev 106,068
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 min ChristineM 445,919
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 4 min Bongo 56,073
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min RoSesz 650,351
UK Phone Numbers for Fun 8 min Rachel19F 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 24 min RiccardoFire 44,966
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 28 min Aussie Kev 2,334
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 3 hr kobechi3 71
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 hr trifecta1 971,800
More from around the web